Torrential rain at Tynecastle

Gorgiewave

I remember a game from about the early 90s when it rained terribly. The shed was packed and the rest of the Hearts end was sparse. Henry Smith was in goals. Does anybody remember the game? Or remember any other games with rain similar to today's?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jambos_1874

Was it the case that the rain was being driven into the stands so people had to go up the back? If not, that's a fairly poor design if the stand roof does notmcover the first few rows!

Was it the case that the rain was being driven into the stands so people had to go up the back? If not, that's a fairly poor design if the stand roof does notmcover the first few rows!

If there's wind, the rain won't fall vertically. Probably the first ten or more rows are exposed to rain if it's windy.

William H. Bonney

Not tynecastle but i attended a game a fir park that was abandoned at half time due to torrential rain.

Also recall a game at murrayfield, maybe Sparta Prague, that rained so hard my phone got water damage. It was in my jacket pocket.

I remember a game from about the early 90s when it rained terribly. The shed was packed and the rest of the Hearts end was sparse. Henry Smith was in goals. Does anybody remember the game? Or remember any other games with rain similar to today's?

That was Dundee Utd.

I remember it because my cousin fainted in the heat/overcrowding next to the pylon in the shed.

I laughed like ***k.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I remember that too. Seem to remember Gary McKay coming to get the ball from our stand and looking like he'd been water-boarded for half an hour.

Thought the pitch held up really well considering the amount of rain, my jeans were soaked through to my balls

Elias Henry Furst

Row 26 and could feel it being blown in.

First time ever.

Lower sections looked grim.

I think it was indeed dundee United. I have the race for the premier championship 91/92 on VCR and there's a game against United where there is literally nobody in the terracing but the shed is absolutely packed.

Bazzas right boot

Aye,

I'm trying to think.

2-3 Motherwell rings a bell, when they ended up 2nd.

Big baldy lad scored a raker to seal it.

Cracking game.

Or a 0-1 v Falkirk . May in the last minute?

Riddley Walker

Not tynecastle but i attended a game a fir park that was abandoned at half time due to torrential rain.

Also recall a game at murrayfield, maybe Sparta Prague, that rained so hard my phone got water damage. It was in my jacket pocket.

Sparta Prague game was ridiculous. Pitch was like a swimming pool, would have been called off if it wasn't a Euro game.

Captain America

We left earlier than we had planned to as we were soaked.

1st row of upper F and thought we would be safe from the elements.

I think it was indeed dundee United. I have the race for the premier championship 91/92 on VCR and there's a game against United where there is literally nobody in the terracing but the shed is absolutely packed.

Never Let Them Forget

Aye,

I'm trying to think.

2-3 Motherwell rings a bell, when they ended up 2nd.

Big baldy lad scored a raker to seal it.

Cracking game.

Or a 0-1 v Falkirk . May in the last minute?

Was it Higdon?

The 4-0 Scottish Cup game in 1989 with THAT John colquhoun goal was as bad for rain as I've ever seen. The game should of never went ahead. The ball was sticking in puddles everywhere

Bazzas right boot

Was it Higdon?

Naw, it was early/ mid 90's. 5/6? Maybe earlier.

About 5k at the game, pissing down, wed night.

They were decent that season, we were shit.

Na, not that game 5550 at game, freezing , 2-3, but no rain.

Thanks for the info. The clip I remember seeing had Henry Smith at the Gorgie end with rain dripping from his head, which isn't in that clip. Does anybody recognise that?

This is the very match.

Never saw the shed packed like that since the Bayern game.

Loved that season too. Aside from Eoin Jess ending our title run.

:(

vague memories of a midweek game v St Johnstone. Rhodes in goal for them, Crombie the ref. we won 2-0 i think.

lots of surface water

Dave McCreery's knee

The 4-0 Scottish Cup game in 1989 with THAT John colquhoun goal was as bad for rain as I've ever seen. The game should of never went ahead. The ball was sticking in puddles everywhere

Does anyone have footage of that game? Was saying on recent JC thread that would love to see his goal again.

vague memories of a midweek game v St Johnstone. Rhodes in goal for them, Crombie the ref. we won 2-0 i think.

lots of surface water

Perth was flooded that week and the Hearts fans goaded them about it.

Some songs about their houses being flooded.

:D

Worked two stints stewarding at tynecastle. Maybe the Austria Vienna game, it was European... Midweek game, standing on track pouring rain vertically, an hour before kickoff... When game started, I was in a very large puddle..zoomed up the stairs, got a pie, soaked decided to bail out...

Pint and nip in tynie.......still pouring, another pint..... :). I think Hearts won....

I remember a game against the wee team at Tynecastle that was played and should not have been.

Sure it ended in a 1-1 draw 80's or 90's

Not too long ago ... 2014 in the championship league the 10-0 win over Cowdenbeath was bleak weather wise ...

Mud , Mud! Glorious Mud .

Gary Mackay's tae bash and Tosh McKinlay's ridiculous run celebration. Those were the days.

RedStarRiot

I was at that Dundee Utd game. Pestered my dad non stop to go as he wasn't up for it. We were flying at that time...until Aberd?en smashed us 4-0

Naw, it was early/ mid 90's. 5/6? Maybe earlier.

About 5k at the game, pissing down, wed night.

They were decent that season, we were shit.

Na, not that game 5550 at game, freezing , 2-3, but no rain.

St Johnstone I think. There was a minutes silence before the game in tribute to the late Tommy Walker who had died a few days previously. Not sure about the score though may have been 1 -0 to Saints.

From twitter

DFW9u48W0AA1rVF.jpg

DFW-F0AXgAEnWwO.jpg

Fidel's Gore-Tex gear has seen better days. Fair play to him for standing out in that dressed like that.

I remember a game at Fir Park, mid to late 90's. Torrential rain, Stephane Adam slid on his arse for about 10 yards down the touchline trying to win a ball.

Game abandoned at halftime when the ball wouldn't bounce in the goalmouth.

Fir Park again, the season before last, was pretty impressive with the rain swirling round the ground. Looked great in the floodlights.

been here before

Perth was flooded that week and the Hearts fans goaded them about it.

Some songs about their houses being flooded.

:D

'We've got carpets, we've got carpets. You've no, you've no...' as I recall

The biggest farce was the Rangers v Hearts game at ibrox when officials gave the OK , snow and ice job unbelievable. Anyone got footage of this?

Carl Fredrickson

I remember a game against the wee team at Tynecastle that was played and should not have been.

Sure it ended in a 1-1 draw 80's or 90's

If it is the game I was thinking about Donald Park scored for us with a delicate lob over Roughie (I think)

I also mind the game at Fir Park mentioned above and Adams slide. 

My worst one though was at Killie at the start of our run to the Scottish Cup final in 96. We were 3 rows to the front in the stand opposite the main stand and we were soaked through prior to kick off. 

Took my 3 year old son today in what was his first Hearts game. Wee guy seemed to enjoy it as best he could but I took him home when it started coming down like nothing else (about 10 mins into the second half). Poor wee guy was soaked through.

Elias Henry Furst

LOL a few moved to the Roseburn upper .

Nobody moved to the Roseburn upper m8.

If it is the game I was thinking about Donald Park scored for us with a delicate lob over Roughie (I think)

I also mind the game at Fir Park mentioned above and Adams slide. 

My worst one though was at Killie at the start of our run to the Scottish Cup final in 96. We were 3 rows to the front in the stand opposite the main stand and we were soaked through prior to kick off.

WILLIE Irvine scored for them minute after we scored. Over 23,000 a the game. Think most of the games were off that day due to the weather

Nobody moved to the Roseburn upper m8.

well I saw a few moving to Roseburn , maybe not upper bud sorry about that!

They did. Let about 30-40 fans midway through 2nd half.

cheers pal , thought the rain was blocking my brain for a moment LOL

Not at Tynecastle but, I remember a game at Fir Park where the the weather was absolutely horrendous.

Wind, freezing and snowy sleety weather.

Probably mid 80's.

Gornik game in the 1970's. I remember a small knot of Poles standing at the front of the Shed, one with a large bell that he rang when the urge gripped him. They looked rather bemused as we all trudged out the gates leaving them standing there wondering what was going on when the match was abandoned.   

Not at Tynie but at ER in August 1964 it rained heavily all day. There was no cover on the terraces whatsoever but once you were soaked thru you couldn't get any wetter. It was a stonker of a game and Hearts triumphed 5-3. Folk are soft these days although I admit it is better standing in the rain than sitting in it.

Carl Fredrickson

WILLIE Irvine scored for them minute after we scored. Over 23,000 a the game. Think most of the games were off that day due to the weather

That rings a bell. I mind getting excited as a teenager when Irvine signed for us. He was honking!

That rings a bell. I mind getting excited as a teenager when Irvine signed for us. He was honking!

I was in the Isle of Man when he made his debut for us and scored against BOHs. Cue pitch invasion by jubilant Jambos.

Remember a dire draw at Greenock Morton, similar conditions as today, the whole Hearts support were packed into the only part of the terracing with cover.

Italian Lambretta

Fair play to Cathro for standing out in that today. In all the many years I've supported the Famous I've never seen rain like that in the summer months or possibly ever during a game.

Dagger Is Back

Remember a midweek perhaps league cup game against Dundee Utd. It was howling. Busbys penalty got stuck in the mud?

Archived