Torrential rain at Tynecastle

Gorgiewave

Remember a midweek perhaps league cup game against Dundee Utd. It was howling. Busbys penalty got stuck in the mud?

On the goaline?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dagger Is Back

On the goaline?

Yip that's what I remember. The water was pissing down the back of the Shed

Hail stones drove everyone into the Shed.

Youth gate put up two bob because it was a cup game.

50 pence to get in.

I had 40 pence and 5p for the bus home.

I managed to blag my way in.

3-1 down from first leg.

I was 12.

I flew home.

A fantastic night.

post-3561-0-59262900-1500759513_thumb.jpg

post-3561-0-68222700-1500759688_thumb.jpg

jambos are go!

Gornik game in the 1970's. I remember a small knot of Poles standing at the front of the Shed, one with a large bell that he rang when the urge gripped him. They looked rather bemused as we all trudged out the gates leaving them standing there wondering what was going on when the match was abandoned.

That would be my choice as the wettest game ever attended by me. Polish football was held in high regard at the time and it was billed as a prestige friendly. Should never had started and the abandonment at half time was a foregone conclusion. That meant no refunds and we could I assume meet the appearance fee from Gornik.

Neilson's Shank

Anyone remember a blizzard at Fir Park many moons ago ?

We won 3-1 I think, but the game should never have finished.

1985/6 during the undefeated run. Seem to think Nicky Walker was in goals for some rea son.

Could be wrong tho.

I remember a game against the wee team at Tynecastle that was played and should not have been.

Sure it ended in a 1-1 draw 80's or 90's

Remember that well. Robbo had a shot on goal that was on its way into an empty net. It got stuck in the mud [emoji35]

Two other games spring to mind;

84/85 at Dumbarton. Jimmy Bone scored 1-0 win. Awful day don't think I've been wetter!

A game at Murrayfield, think it was v Braga with torrential rain before kick off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have footage of that game? Was saying on recent JC thread that would love to see his goal again.

Somebody posted it on KB about 5 years ago and while it was a great goal, it wasn't the Maradona 86 effort that au recalled from being at the game! It was pishing doon tho.

Was at the Utd and Sparta games but don't really remember the weather. Today's the worst rain I've seen at a game in years though. Disappointed as I keep hearing on here that summer football will have us all in beer gardens pre-match and wearing flip-flops to the game! :lol:

Moved from row 4 of the Wheatfield to row 26 of the Gorgie at half time. After seeing the rain at the start of the second half, I'm so glad I did.

Does anyone have footage of that game? Was saying on recent JC thread that would love to see his goal again.

I do. Sure I responded. I have it on VHS & DVD , just the goals. I'll upload on this thread in the next day or so mate

The biggest farce was the Rangers v Hearts game at ibrox when officials gave the OK , snow and ice job unbelievable. Anyone got footage of this?

Sure There was a 2-2 draw v the old Rangers where JC scored a header that was pishing down . Also the Musemic Derby 1-0 was not too clever weather wise

Bazzas right boot

Sure There was a 2-2 draw v the old Rangers where JC scored a header that was pishing down . Also the Musemic Derby 1-0 was not too clever weather wise

I remember that 2-2 game, listening to it on my aunties Radio. The ball wouldn't go 10 years along the ground because of the puddles.

Hately put Rangers 2-1 up, JC equalised. Sounded quality.

millerjames398

I remember a game from about the early 90s when it rained terribly. The shed was packed and the rest of the Hearts end was sparse. Henry Smith was in goals. Does anybody remember the game? Or remember any other games with rain similar to today's?

Don't know if anyones said but I'm sure it was st johnstone where the rain was biblical and everyone crammed in the shed ,think it was 2 0 and ian Baird scored I'm sure Andy Rhodes was in the sticks for saints as well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I remember that 2-2 game, listening to it on my aunties Radio. The ball wouldn't go 10 years along the ground because of the puddles.

Hately put Rangers 2-1 up, JC equalised. Sounded quality.

Yep that's the one but I was sure oldco went 0-2 up and we came back for a 2-2 but my memory may be fuzzy

millerjames398

Just scrolled through some replies and folk remember it as Dundee Utd, but I remember a similar game v st Johnstone when it absolutely pissed down...anyone else remember this game...or is my mind playing tricks [emoji23]

millerjames398

Also remember the atletico Madrid game was wild as well I was stuck on the open gorgie end...brutal.

Gornik game in the 1970's. I remember a small knot of Poles standing at the front of the Shed, one with a large bell that he rang when the urge gripped him. They looked rather bemused as we all trudged out the gates leaving them standing there wondering what was going on when the match was abandoned.   

Remember it well. I think the game lasted about 20 minutes. I can also remember a league game where the rain was torrential. Sitting in the North enclosure with a very young Cigaro, the rain was spilling over the guttering above us and we were getting more than damp. A female steward tried to stop us moving back towards the rear of the enclosure but Wallace Mercer came down and gave her hell, with the result we all got moved into the stand. Happy days

Buffalo Bill

Midweek game. Jan 1993, Hearts 2 St Johnstone 0

Attendance was about 5,000.

Minutes silence for the late Tommy Walker, during it, all you could hear was the rain hammering off the roof.

The small band of Saints fans were stuck in the Gorgie Road end tunnel and were eventually led to the Main Stand.

Hearts played quite well in the first half, Allan Preston having a decent game, I think Ian Baird scored. Half time, Sandy Clark was sweeping water off the pitch.

All in all, a miserable night. One of those 'I was there' moments to think back on. Surreal.

Bungalow Bill

That was Dundee Utd.

I remember it because my cousin fainted in the heat/overcrowding next to the pylon in the shed.

I laughed like ***k.

Spot on. Was talking about that game today. I was front row in the enclosure andy dad took us home before half time. Think we lost 1-0. Duncan Ferguson scored.

Bungalow Bill

Attendance was about 5,000.

Minutes silence for the late Tommy Walker, during it, all you could hear was the rain hammering off the roof.

The small band of Saints fans were stuck in the Gorgie Road end tunnel and were eventually led to the Main Stand.

Hearts played quite well in the first half, Allan Preston having a decent game, I think Ian Baird scored. Half time, Sandy Clark was sweeping water off the pitch.

All in all, a miserable night. One of those 'I was there' moments to think back on. Surreal.

Was in the main stand upper for that game, I remember all the St. Johnstone fans being moved to the upper main stand due them being soaked.

Bungalow Bill

1985/6 during the undefeated run. Seem to think Nicky Walker was in goals for some rea son.

Could be wrong tho.

Nicky Walker didn't sign for us until 1990.

jamtartan74

Not Hearts but Scotland v Italy 2005/6 I think at Hampden was crazy, remember being absolutely soaked through to the bone that day. Today was wild though, bloody Scottish summers ay [emoji23].

RedStarRiot

Spot on. Was talking about that game today. I was front row in the enclosure andy dad took us home before half time. Think we lost 1-0. Duncan Ferguson scored.

Nah I thought it was the 1-1 game that season and Bowman scored for them. Can't remember who scored for us funnily enough. 91/92 season it was

Was there not a game played against Celtic in the pouring rain.

For some reason they were given yellow polystyrene cushions and made them into crosses.

Throwing them at Henry.

RedStarRiot

Nah I thought it was the 1-1 game that season and Bowman scored for them. Can't remember who scored for us funnily enough. 91/92 season it was

In fact I might have merged 2 games together from my childhood.

RedStarRiot

For some reason they were given yellow polystyrene cushions and made them into crosses.

Throwing them at Henry.

Yeah, loads of them cut the cushions into crosses.

Throwing them at Henry.

ahahahahahahahahahaaa

We beat Motherwell 4 - 1 in a Cup tie, I think - just remember it was also pishing doon, should have golfing in a medal at Torphin, but managed to get a lift from The Wineglass ;)

Libertarian

Was it the case that the rain was being driven into the stands so people had to go up the back? If not, that's a fairly poor design if the stand roof does notmcover the first few rows!

I'm sure that SFS regulations are to blame as they don't allow any structure to extend out over the playing area.

Libertarian

I'm sure that SFS regulations are to blame as they don't allow any structure to extend out over the playing area.

That of course should be SFA not SFS

SectionDJambo

Was in the main stand upper for that game, I remember all the St. Johnstone fans being moved to the upper main stand due them being soaked.

We were in the enclosure, looking up at Wallace and his chums, hoping for an instruction to the stewards to let us move up to shelter. Nothing doing, despite there being plenty room. Got soaked.

I remember the Gornik match too. Lasted long enough for no refunds, albeit very cheap to get in then anyway. Under the covered terrace and hoping the game would go on, until the rain stopped.

They came back quite soon to replay the fixture.

Row 26 and could feel it being blown in.

First time ever.

Lower sections looked grim.

w

With the old stand gone the wind blows the rain over more. Our new stand should make a difference when complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waynefozzie

Attendance was about 5,000.

Haha, yeah, I mind that. It was brutal. I went for chips on the way home and the whole thing - the newspaper and wrapping and tatties - turned to mush in my hands. It was like eating papier mache. When I got home my fingers were all wrinkled, like when you've been in the bath too long.

The biggest farce was the Rangers v Hearts game at ibrox when officials gave the OK , snow and ice job unbelievable. Anyone got footage of this?

Playing with a yellow ball due to no orange ones at Ibrox of all places. Couldn't see the ball at all on TV, it was a farce.

Mentioned it before ages ago, 90's midweek cup game v St.J, Thunder n lighning, shed was packed out so we were standing behind the goals, drookit.

Would have been called off before half time nowadays.

Not at Tynecastle but, I remember a game at Fir Park where the the weather was absolutely horrendous.

Wind, freezing and snowy sleety weather.

Probably mid 80's.

When we were losing 1-0 we were singing for game to be called off. At 3-1 up the chants changed

Has anyone mentioned the Big Husref Derby winner match?

About 15,000 JTs tried to huddle under cover right at the crazy corner ...seemed like it anyway :lol:

The Future's Maroon

Gary Mackay's tae bash and Tosh McKinlay's ridiculous run celebration. Those were the days.

As the thread was getting started I was just reading away and trying to imagine how bad it was, then someone posted the clip and it brought it all 'flooding' back, I was at that game and got soaked and had to walk home like a drooned rat!

Benny Factor

Wednesday night in April 1994.

Hearts 2 St Johnstone 2.

This was the scoreline after 15 mins... don't know how the game even started, never mind finish!

Remember the Prague game. Walking through the side of what is now sainsburys, along the wall because the bath was literally covered in water.

Recall a game vs Motherwell at Tynie, close to Hogmanay 2010, where it wasn't torrential rain but there was a good 5-10 minute burst of hail stones. I was sat in the front row of the main.

Francis Albert

Remember that too. There may not have been many of them but the Poles made some noise.

heartsfc_fan

Moved from row 4 of the Wheatfield to row 26 of the Gorgie at half time. After seeing the rain at the start of the second half, I'm so glad I did.

Did the same

Bungalow Bill

You're probably right mate. I think the Ferguson game was in dryer conditions.

maroonlegions

I have endured a few soakings at Tynie when my seat was not under the stand roof. :badmood:

Choose rain. Choose heavy rain. Choose torrential rain. Choose grey skies. Choose water running down the crack of your arse, Choose drying your clothes on a radiator, socks, jeans, and even your scants. Choose webbed feet, snottery noses and a pale blue tinge. Choose peeling wet jeans of your legs. Choose putting the heating on in July. Choose drying the dog every time he needs a pee. Choose waterproofs and wellies. Choose staring at shite on the telly on a Saturday afternoon. Choose getting soaked just running to Tesco for milk. Choose sitting on the couch with the lights on a 4 in the afternoon in the summer. Choose staring out the window bored stiff telling everybody it's looking a bit brighter, when you know it's still pishing down and will do for hours. Choose being damp and fecking miserable. Choose Edinburgh.

:badmood:

lauriesrank

I'm sure I am right in saying, although memory is subjective. The semi final against motherwell in 2005 at fester (painful memories, they cheated, never a free kick) to get the winner. the rain was shockingly bad, I was that wet I took my shirt off as it was sticking to me. In February.......

Bungalow Bill

I'm sure I am right in saying, although memory is subjective. The semi final against motherwell in 2005 at fester (painful memories, they cheated, never a free kick) to get the winner. the rain was shockingly bad, I was that wet I took my shirt off as it was sticking to me. In February.......

I can't recall it raining that night. Very painful result though, I always blamed Jamie Macallister.

Archived