Harry Cochrane( merged ) - goal of the month(updated)

cuddledoon

Geoff Kilpatrick

What about him?

You were heavy on the criticism of him as well.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me get this right. You're calling out Spencer for historic putting down of youngsters on the same page as having a go at Liam for suggesting people on here are too harsh on our youngsters?

Quite the return, fella. Well done.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Let me get this right. You're calling out Spencer for historic putting down of youngsters on the same page as having a go at Liam for suggesting people on here are too harsh on our youngsters?

Absolutely. And I stand by it.

Much of the criticism CP received was justified. He was petulant at times and needed to show maturity.

The main difference with CP from the others is he's developed himself physically. Berra was the same before he left. Friday night illustrated what we've known for years - Berra can handle himself physically against anyone. Compare that with the guy who's just landed in Minnesota

Geoff Kilpatrick

Much of the criticism CP received was justified. He was petulant at times and needed to show maturity.

The main difference with CP from the others is he's developed himself physically. Berra was the same before he left. Friday night illustrated what we've known for years - Berra can handle himself physically against anyone. Compare that with the guy who's just landed in Minnesota

I actually think Nicholson's issues are more mental than physical.

David McCaig

I just think Nicholson is very immature both mentally and physically.

His behaviour towards Oshaniwa was appalling, refusing to pass the ball to him, not giving him defensive cover and berating him in a very public way. Obviously Oshaniwa had his issues but deserved more support from a colleague.

You might very well be right. There's no doubt that he'll have a limited career if he doesn't increase his strength. Far too easily knocked off the ball

hmfc_liam06

Hence my reply to him.

Thought the young lads that came on all looked like they'll have a part to play, Cochrane looked a little hesitatant but that's no shock to anyone him being so young

Petkov looks like he might be ready to play first team games and I hope he gets a chance

Brandon was the pick of the bunch for me, his early cross to the edge of the box was sublime and he really looked like he had no qualms about getting up and down the line and getting stuck in, hope to see a lot more of him

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Harry went off injured in the U20s game on Tuesday, and left the ground on crutches.

Any update on his condition and/or whether he has trained subsequently?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any update on when Harry will be fit again? Very impressive pre season and exactly what the team is missing right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from injury on bench v Hibs U20s this afternoon.

Good news

Was impressed by the young man against Linfield

Just caught up on this thread - fascinating read. Sounds like some real potential in this lad.

Excellent stuff.

allanwilson1970

Went along to watch the U17s yesterday V Forth Valley. It finished 4-2 and could have been 9-4 if chances taken. We dominated from 1st minute until a 10 minute spell at the beginning of the second half. Our midfielders are a class above, they played triangles and although Cochrane got a hat-trick Leonard, Ritchie and Smith were equally excellent. All compliment each other and were a joy to watch. I doubt any other team can come close to our midfield. Special mention to the goalkeeper Stones who was very commanding and also had a worldy save at 2-1. Really exciting times ahead in our academy and Craig Levein watching also and high fiving the squad, great to see and what an incentive for the boys. 

Went along to watch the U17s yesterday V Forth Valley. It finished 4-2 and could have been 9-4 if chances taken. We dominated from 1st minute until a 10 minute spell at the beginning of the second half. Our midfielders are a class above, they played triangles and although Cochrane got a hat-trick Leonard, Ritchie and Smith were equally excellent. All compliment each other and were a joy to watch. I doubt any other team can come close to our midfield. Special mention to the goalkeeper Stones who was very commanding and also had a worldy save at 2-1. Really exciting times ahead in our academy and Craig Levein watching also and high fiving the squad, great to see and what an incentive for the boys. [/size]

Brilliant to hear

Went along to watch the U17s yesterday V Forth Valley. It finished 4-2 and could have been 9-4 if chances taken. We dominated from 1st minute until a 10 minute spell at the beginning of the second half. Our midfielders are a class above, they played triangles and although Cochrane got a hat-trick Leonard, Ritchie and Smith were equally excellent. All compliment each other and were a joy to watch. I doubt any other team can come close to our midfield. Special mention to the goalkeeper Stones who was very commanding and also had a worldy save at 2-1. Really exciting times ahead in our academy and Craig Levein watching also and high fiving the squad, great to see and what an incentive for the boys.

What every football fan wants to hear!

The Treasurer

Went along to watch the U17s yesterday V Forth Valley. It finished 4-2 and could have been 9-4 if chances taken. We dominated from 1st minute until a 10 minute spell at the beginning of the second half. Our midfielders are a class above, they played triangles and although Cochrane got a hat-trick Leonard, Ritchie and Smith were equally excellent. All compliment each other and were a joy to watch. I doubt any other team can come close to our midfield. Special mention to the goalkeeper Stones who was very commanding and also had a worldy save at 2-1. Really exciting times ahead in our academy and Craig Levein watching also and high fiving the squad, great to see and what an incentive for the boys. 

Good to know that Levein was there. It will certainly encourage the youngsters to know that the first team manager is taking an interest in there progress

Great to hear ... Craig's been at pains to say he can't wait for the next 2-3 years to see the rewards ... starting to see why ... hope we get these boys tied down on long term deals to make sure we get top dollar for them

With the amount of investment and time spent it's really good to see the just rewards... u reap what you sow as they say

pattythejambo

Went along to watch the U17s yesterday V Forth Valley. It finished 4-2 and could have been 9-4 if chances taken. We dominated from 1st minute until a 10 minute spell at the beginning of the second half. Our midfielders are a class above, they played triangles and although Cochrane got a hat-trick Leonard, Ritchie and Smith were equally excellent. All compliment each other and were a joy to watch. I doubt any other team can come close to our midfield. Special mention to the goalkeeper Stones who was very commanding and also had a worldy save at 2-1. Really exciting times ahead in our academy and Craig Levein watching also and high fiving the squad, great to see and what an incentive for the boys.

I heard yesterday that Mark Leonard had been invited in by Scott Gemmill to train with the U21 last week as a reward for his performance in the u17 tournament.

I heard yesterday that Mark Leonard had been invited in by Scott Gemmill to train with the U21 last week as a reward for his performance in the u17 tournament.

Not bad for a 15 year old

Now that we're developing some of the best young players in the country my fear is that they will be plucked by the old firm or teams in England before they reach the first team, I really hope that the club have drilled it into this batch of players that the grass isn't always greener

Now that we're developing some of the best young players in the country my fear is that they will be plucked by the old firm or teams in England before they reach the first team, I really hope that the club have drilled it into this batch of players that the grass isn't always greener

A big reason for our approach to the Walker situation

We_are_the_Hearts

If this did happen then it would be time to question the value of the Academy? 

Na its about gettin contracts right. At 16 get them on 4 years but at 18 or when they break thru, extend/improve. The important thing for me is that everyone knows we command a fee and at British rates. We wont be pushovers. If we sometimes sell before the player has made an impact then so be it, the money keeps us ticking

Sometimes it works out, other times it does not. At least the training compo/development means we wipe our faces. There were already noises being made recently about that being scrapped, so bigger clubs can just take any player they fancy and stick their two fingers up at the club who developed them. I think it was Rangers or Celtic who were wanting it scrapped... could be wrong about that last bit.

Sometimes it works out, other times it does not. At least the training compo/development means we wipe our faces. There were already noises being made recently about that being scrapped, so bigger clubs can just take any player they fancy and stick their two fingers up at the club who developed them. I think it was Rangers or Celtic who were wanting it scrapped... could be wrong about that last bit.

Voting down proposed improvements to the compensation was one of the main things the OF used their ridic 11-1 vote to veto. Filth.

Voting down proposed improvements to the compensation was one of the main things the OF used their ridic 11-1 vote to veto. Filth.

Thought so. Yet we should be doing more to increase competition domestically. :lol:

Na its about gettin contracts right. At 16 get them on 4 years but at 18 or when they break thru, extend/improve. The important thing for me is that everyone knows we command a fee and at British rates. We wont be pushovers. If we sometimes sell before the player has made an impact then so be it, the money keeps us ticking

The experience of 4 year contracts was they led to youngsters being too complacent

Its a difficult balance

The experience of 4 year contracts was they led to youngsters being too complacent

Its a difficult balance

It is a difficult balance. Although I'd be far more inclined to take a chance on a top young player becoming a bit complacent on a relatively low wage contract, than I would risking him leaving for buttons to Rangers or Celtic for **** all.

Its a difficult balance

Vlad handed 5 year contracts to just about every player in the academy around 05/06 that's why we ended up with a first team squad of about 50 odd and guys like Marco Pelosi, Jonny Stewart and Jamie Mole were hanging around until well into their twenties.

Best way to approach youth contracts is heavily incentivised, 

3 year contract on XXX wage, play 5 games in first team wage rises to XXX, play 30 games in first team wage rises to XXX.

Extra year option for the club etc.

Obviously its not that simple, the club needs to do more for youngsters than offer money, small touches like getting to know the family, helping buy first house can all make difference for a young players loyalty.

pattythejambo

A big reason for our approach to the Walker situation

Don't think it is England you need to worry about, I saw the Celtic scout at the game Sunday and I believe he has been tracking Harry and Mark for the last year.

Don't think it is England you need to worry about, I saw the Celtic scout at the game Sunday and I believe he has been tracking Harry and Mark for the last year.

Any young player tempted by the OF should google their 20s teams over the years and see how many have got even close to first team

football. There is no doubt they will get more opportunities at Hearts.

I'm pretty sure that Celtic made a serious attempt to sign Cochrane and Anthony Macdonald before they signed a professional contract with us. Therefore, not surprising that they are still sniffing about.

I think the days are gone that Celtic or Rangers are the ultimate destination for kids in Scotland. Hearts & Aberdeen are the clubs to aim for, anything else is a step down.

kingantti1874

I'm pretty sure that Celtic made a serious attempt to sign Cochrane and Anthony Macdonald before they signed a professional contract with us. Therefore, not surprising that they are still sniffing about.

I think the days are gone that Celtic or Rangers are the ultimate destination for kids in Scotland. Hearts & Aberdeen are the clubs to aim for, anything else is a step down.

Agree.. We need to give these guys a clear path to the first team to keep hood of them.. Sell them on and reinvest in the next crop.. Losing them before they make it to the first team woukd be brutal.. We can offer them something these clubs cannot.. A clear path of progression

Harry had a season ticket prior to signing with us, he was approached by many of the clubs named and a few who have not been named.

He's happy to have signed with us and let his career develop and so are his family

One thing though it would be nice if he could just be allowed to develop as is the same for a couple of others who are just 16.....give them time to grow as they are just boys, with talent yes, but still just young boys.

Next season we will see how he has developed after a year of full time training and natural development

John mcCartney

makes one sick that does........those reprobates alllways cast a ****ing shadow somewhere dont they

im not talking about mark or harry btw

makes one sick that does........those reprobates alllways cast a ******* shadow somewhere dont they

im not talking about mark or harry btw

They can look all they want. Important thing is we're setting outselves up as a better option for good youngsters looking to break through at an earlier age than they would atbthe OF.

I take your point but money always talks, unfortunately.

Archived