Harry Cochrane( merged ) - goal of the month(updated)

cuddledoon

I hope that I am the first of many supporters over the next few years who will be waxing lyrical about this young man.

I have watched football for a very long time and have seen many promising debuts.

This player had a cameo 15 minutes or so today, but in that time he showed enough to suggest that we have a real treasure here.

One pass in particular was sublime, splitting the Livi defence, and it should have resulted in a goal. His quick feet and brain suggested that, despite his youth and size, he will be able to compete regularly at first team level in seasons to come.

Always does the heart good to see a young scot coming through... Can remember Robbo, same age, shining.... Watched Tierneys rise at Celtic and Scotland.....

All in all, a good start for the lad...... Gives hope

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Footballfirst

Can i just check why he left Rangers.

I.e was he released or chose to join us?

I'm not 100% sure but I think he chose us because there seemed a better pathway here and he would get more game time. He and Billy Gilmour were effectively playing the same position. Note that he signed for us around April 2014, which was before we came out of Admin and the current management structure took over.

chester copperpot

I'm not 100% sure but I think he chose us because there seemed a better pathway here and he would get more game time. He and Billy Gilmour were effectively playing the same position. Note that he signed for us around April 2014, which was before we came out of Admin and the current management structure took over.

Thanks chief :)

As per post earlier in this thread (info from current Rangers player) Harry's auld man opted to take him away from Murray Park as he felt he wasn't getting enough games. At the time he was behind Gilmour for a jersey, only for the latter to then leave also. Certainly not emptied by Rangers, they weren't happy he left.

His parents were of the opinion that his footballing career would be best served at that time with us.

He could have continued his association with Rangers but was happy to be more locally based and yes took a long term view regarding his chances of a breakthrough. When signing it was already pretty clear that change was coming and to be honest the Rangers set up was not that impressive at the time due to the clubs troubles also.

He's had a season ticket for a couple of seasons now though I guess that's one we'll lose off the numbers !!!!!!!!!!

His parents were of the opinion that his footballing career would be best served at that time with us.

He could have continued his association with Rangers but was happy to be more locally based and yes took a long term view regarding his chances of a breakthrough. When signing it was already pretty clear that change was coming and to be honest the Rangers set up was not that impressive at the time due to the clubs troubles also.

He's had a season ticket for a couple of seasons now though I guess that's one we'll lose off the numbers !!!!!!!!!!

Whether he gets a place at hearts, preferable.....or goes back to Rangers...I hope he is genuinely good, for it is such a breath of fresb air to have decent players in the league...

Stephen Muddie

And Gary Glen.

:peepwall:

Elliot was impressive for Scotland youth, even playing in a major final

:clumshot:

Big Moysey

Not wanting to big him up too much but if we had signed a player like this then there would have been a multi-page thread with kickbackers creaming themselves.

Very early doors and based on what I've seen and FF's description, we have a real asset on our hands. Very encouraging that IC is prepared to give him game time, future's bright.

He's so composed on the ball. Always looks for a forward pass as well. The only thing is he's very small so would be interesting to see how he deals with the league. Very promising from what I seen yesterday though.

Hearts1975

The lad looks good, appreciate it's early days but he is direct and always looking to create something - for one so young great attributes to have - hopefully this will be the start of the academy recruits coming through - whilst doing pre season and looking at potential signings etc it wil be great for the club to be doing this in the midst of introducing our newest players from the academy to the 1st team - welcome Harry, let's see what you can do this year

gashauskis9

Potentially 2-3 years ahead of Paterson, Holt and Walker in relation to when they developed and came through.

Very excited about this lad, doesn't seem phased at all and I'm glad he'll have experienced pros like Cowie, Buaben and Martin alongside him. Let's hope we don't ruin the lad like we did Robinson.

Hearts1975

Potentially 2-3 years ahead of Paterson, Holt and Walker in relation to when they developed and came through.

Very excited about this lad, doesn't seem phased at all and I'm glad he'll have experienced pros like Cowie, Buaben and Martin alongside him. Let's hope we don't ruin the lad like we did Robinson.

Hearts1975

good point above they are coming through at an earlier age -with good experienced pros around them and if they have the ability play them and give them game time

Alex Kintner

Wasn't Paterson 16 when he made his debut for us in a friendly as well?

gashauskis9

Wasn't Paterson 16 when he made his debut for us in a friendly as well?

17 I think, turned 18 a few months into his first season I think (he was 17 when he played at Anfield).

Hearts1975

It's also now that we are starting to see changes at youth level new players being signed for the dev league etc this hopefully will auger well with the new coaching set up's - in the next few years we should hopefully see some good results and some good players coming through!

Thought Police

We'll start to see players coming through now imo. Levein always said that there was no academy when he arrived, so for the past few years we effectively had to bypass the under 20s as the talent pool just wasn't there. CL did tell us to be patient!

ooh-aah-cantona

I hope that we look after Harry over the next few years.

It was only 2 years ago that we were excited about 16 year old Sean McKirdy in pre season.

After being thrown in against ICT away and a ropey performance, he was discarded back to the u20s and dumped the next summer.

Yesterday McKirdy was lining up for Selkirk (Lowland League).

Let's not get carried away and let him continue his development.

Bungalow Bill

Let's hope we don't ruin the lad like we did Robinson.

I take umbrage at this comment. How did we ruin Robinson?

He thought he was billy big boots, thought he made it and all he had to do was turn up. The administration year was when he should have stepped up to the plate, but he was overshadowed by younger players who were thrust into the first team.

It was only 2 years ago that we were excited about 16 year old Sean McKirdy in pre season.

After being thrown in against ICT away and a ropey performance, he was discarded back to the u20s and dumped the next summer.

Still a bit confused on why that happened. Young players are erratic yet he was good enough for RN to feel it was worth testing him whilst Beith who seems to have an injury history that would make Jack Wilshire wince has been kept on?

Clearly McKirdy doesn't have 'it' right now since Hamilton binned him too but its disappointing to have binned what appeared to be a promising youngster and keep an injury prone youngster that is in his 20's now without managing many 1st team appearances. Obviously different circumstances but Beith is 21 and has 2 first team appearances, contrast that with Walker, Paterson, Nicholson, Holt, King or Mchattie. I'd have thought by that age he'd have a handful of first team games (like more than 10).

gashauskis9

I take umbrage at this comment. How did we ruin Robinson?

He thought he was billy big boots, thought he made it and all he had to do was turn up. The administration year was when he should have stepped up to the plate, but he was overshadowed by younger players who were thrust into the first team.

He came through the ranks and played a couple of first team games, really impressing in the bargain. Rather than encouraging him, Csaba decided to publicly criticise both him and Gordon Smith, when at the time they were the only glimmers of hope in a disfinctional team that was going nowhere. I don't think either of them really recovered from it and were lost in the U20s after that while we had to suffer with Glen, Nade and feckin Witteveen.

His hissy fit didn't help, but the damage was done long before. The lad should have been playing regular first team football from 17 onwards and had proper coaching and encouragement,

He came through the ranks and played a couple of first team games, really impressing in the bargain. Rather than encouraging him, Csaba decided to publicly criticise both him and Gordon Smith, when at the time they were the only glimmers of hope in a disfinctional team that was going nowhere. I don't think either of them really recovered from it and were lost in the U20s after that while we had to suffer with Glen, Nade and feckin Witteveen.

His hissy fit didn't help, but the damage was done long before. The lad should have been playing regular first team football from 17 onwards and had proper coaching and encouragement,

You have to want it and do it yourself to a large degree to be successful

The parts Robinson didn't have

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Would be fantastic if he fills a role but pre season is a long way from the real thing. Good positive signs though

jamboinglasgow

Am I right in thinking, provided he did go to one, that he would be the first performance school player for the senior team.

Gene Parmesan

Am I right in thinking, provided he did go to one, that he would be the first performance school player for the senior team.

He was at the performance school at Grange Academy in Kilmarnock, according to an old SFA Under-14s squad announcement.

Same as Billy Gilmour.

SHUDDER

julienbrellier

yes he hasn't featured for the first team in a competitive game so we can't know for sure how he will turn out.

However anyone that saw the Linfield game knows how good his first impression is.  Can't remember seeing a more composed player on the ball in the SPL at any level

Footballfirst

U13-Team-Photo-2013-14-1024x716.jpg

You stealing my photos? LOL

It's interesting looking back and see Chris Hamilton as the tallest player in the age group at that time.

tartofmidlothian

yes he hasn't featured for the first team in a competitive game so we can't know for sure how he will turn out.

However anyone that saw the Linfield game knows how good his first impression is. Can't remember seeing a more composed player on the ball in the SPL at any level

Some compliment, I hope we can get a look at him in the League Cup matches.

ooh-aah-cantona

Sean McKirdy went to the performance school at Broughton High.

Footballfirst

Sean McKirdy went to the performance school at Broughton High.

I'm not sure if he was a "performance school" pupil though, if you know what I mean. Sean signed for us back in 2012 and would be an U20 for this season.

You stealing my photos? LOL

It's interesting looking back and see Chris Hamilton as the tallest player in the age group at that time.

Thought it might be nice to see just what they looked like then ..but just 3 years ago !!

What it also shows is just how few reach even the point where they get a deal at 16 years of age.

Royalties in the post :tiny:

These reports are really encouraging. Hope he gets some time on the park in the league cup games to see if he can make an impact.

Don't forget Pele was scoring goals in a world cup final at age 17.

Footballfirst

Thought it might be nice to see just what they looked like then ..but just 3 years ago !!

What it also shows is just how few reach even the point where they get a deal at 16 years of age.

Here's a photo of the Rangers U13s from the same season.

4kVZxuf.jpg

Harry is on the extreme left of the front row, next to Billy Gilmour. Marc Leonard is third from the right, also in the front row.

You appear to have made a mistake. Billy Gilmour is not next to Harry. He's one removed.

Here's a photo of the Rangers U13s from the same season.

4kVZxuf.jpg

Harry is on the extreme left of the front row, next to Billy Gilmour. Marc Leonard is third from the right, also in the front row.

Footballfirst

You appear to have made a mistake. Billy Gilmour is not next to Harry. He's one removed.

I just took it from the list given with the pic.

Rangers u13 - (back row L-R) Ben Williamson, Ruaridh McIntyre, Aiden Gibb, Kyle Ewing, Brian Kinnear, Reece Murdoch, Adedapo Awokoya-Mebude, Jamie Walker, Daniel Finlayson, Zac Butterworth (front row L-R) Harry Cochrane, Billy Gilmour, Nathan Patterson, Kieran McKechnie, Lewis McGrattan, Marc Leonard, Andy Rodden and Niyah Joseph.

Mea culpa

jamboinglasgow

Its the reason why I am dissapointed that Hearts dont do lists of the youth teams on their website like other teams do. Go onto the list on HYDC website's (which were all done by FF) from the previous seasons and you can see some players who have progressed all the way, or how many carry on to the next year.

Footballfirst

A more recent one of the four Hearts lads with Scotland U16s (nos 2, 8, 11, 20)

zfxHocP.jpg

scott herbertson

A more recent one of the four Hearts lads with Scotland U16s (nos 2, 8, 11, 20)

zfxHocP.jpg

No wonder Scotland's performances have gone downhill if we only recruit bow-legged tiny players

Footballfirst

I remember there was a lot of hype about Holt.

Is he more promising than him?

I don't think we should speculate too far ahead just now.

Here is an U19 line-up from a 4-0 win over Hibs in 2010. I thought at the time, if we could keep that squad together (plus Walker who was injured), we could have some team five years later.

Fairley

Mullen McCormack C Hamilton McHattie

Morton (Paterson) Holt Prychnenko Robinson (Hill) D Smith

Ogleby

Where are they now?

:rofl: 

No 'we' ****ing weren't.

maroonnicky63

Looks a very exciting prospect but lets not build him up to knock him down again as the usual suspects normally do on here

Here is an U19 line-up from a 4-0 win over Hibs in 2010. I thought at the time, if we could keep that squad together (plus Walker who was injured), we could have some team five years later.

Fairley

Ogleby

Where are they now?

Fairley - Last record of him playing appears to be with Stenhousemuir in 2013

Mullen - Cowdenbeath

McCormack - Released by Stenhousemuir at end of last season, signed for East Stirlingshire (now Lowland League) earlier this month 

C Hamilton - Arbroath

McHattie - Raith Rovers

Morton - Cambuslang Rangers 
(Paterson) - Cardiff
Holt - Rangers
Prychnenko - Belgian second tier club Beerschot Wilrijk
Robinson - Livingston
(Hill) - Haddington Athletic
D Smith - Dumbarton
Ogleby - Last record appears to be of him playing for Wingate & Finchley last year, in the Isthmian League

From what I could find out anyway (that was as much for me, out of interest decided to look them all up!)

Fairley

Ogleby

Where are they now?

I agree.

It really just emphasises the need to bridge the gap from u19s to the first team.

I just took it from the list given with the pic.

Rangers u13 - (back row L-R) Ben Williamson, Ruaridh McIntyre, Aiden Gibb, Kyle Ewing, Brian Kinnear, Reece Murdoch, Adedapo Awokoya-Mebude, Jamie Walker, Daniel Finlayson, Zac Butterworth (front row L-R) Harry Cochrane, Billy Gilmour, Nathan Patterson, Kieran McKechnie, Lewis McGrattan, Marc Leonard, Andy Rodden and Niyah Joseph.

Mea culpa

That will be an interesting group to recap how they do

How did he look tonight when he came on? A bit of a step up for the lad getting game time against such top quality opposition.

Archived