Wimbledon 2017

Johnny D

I can't see past Sir Roger making it 8 titles. If it's not him then hopefully its not Murray who wins.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All roads lead to Gorgie

One of the big three will win it imo. I think it could go to Nadal who has stormed back to form but so has Federer and Djokovic loves turning it on at Wimbledon as we all know. Not often the top three are in form all at once so it should be interesting.

lauriesrank

Raonic, although if Cilic can hold it together he certainly has the serve.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Federer or Murray for me. The French Open proved that Murray can play himself into form after injuries etc.

rudi must stay

Raonic, although if Cilic can hold it together he certainly has the serve.

Cilic is an interesting name to mention. Played superbly at Queens and is mentally tough, wouldn't be shocked if he won it

Hard to predict.

Djokovic and Murray are both blowing hot and cold this year.

Federer is getting slower as he ages.

Nadal is never that good on grass and will probably injure himself.

Jambos_1874

I can't see past Sir Roger making it 8 titles. If it's not him then hopefully its not Murray who wins.

Why wouldn't you want Murray to win?

Jambos_1874

Far from it. I'm just not a fan.

Regardless of that, he is Scottish, an incredibly talented, hard working athlete who has achieved a lot in one of the toughest eras in tennis. Not only that, he seems like a genuine person who maybe doesn't have the most likeable personality (which is why I'm guessing you're not a fan) but it is a great ambassador for Scotland.

Regardless of that, he is Scottish, an incredibly talented, hard working athlete who has achieved a lot in one of the toughest eras in tennis. Not only that, he seems like a genuine person who maybe doesn't have the most likeable personality (which is why I'm guessing you're not a fan) but it is a great ambassador for Scotland.

And who says I'm Scottish. Never presume for sure.

lauriesrank

Not a great ambassador for Scotland when he doesn't wear his Scottish saltire sweatbands anymore (although I understand that was his sponsors) and represents 'britain' (whatever that is) in the davis cup and olympics and stands under the union flag celebrating to; god save the queen, which as we all know, talks about crushing rebellious Scots.....

Great ambassador. 

Jambos_1874

Not a great ambassador for Scotland when he doesn't wear his Scottish saltire sweatbands anymore (although I understand that was his sponsors) and represents 'britain' (whatever that is) in the davis cup and olympics and stands under the union flag celebrating to; god save the queen, which as we all know, talks about crushing rebellious Scots.....

Great ambassador.

Ridiculous post.

Murray is (or has been) super fit in many ways but he's not a natural athlete. He doesn't come close to the natural, graceful athleticism of Federer and some others. Murray's strengths are his explosive speed, quick thinking and mercurial genius. His weaknesses are his serve and periodic fragile mentality. He's beginning to suffer from a number of niggling injuries just as Federer and Nadal did and do.

If a fit and concentrated Murray turns up for the tournament then I think he's the favourite. If he isn't near 100% he might not make the second week.

lauriesrank

Ridiculous post.

Statement of fact, as a Scotsman I would never represent england/britain at anything, you're either scottish or not, you can't just randomly represent whomever you deem necessary. Not turning this into a politic though.  It's the reason I do not want Murray to win anything as the english media jump on the bandwagon... as they do with everything else.  ANyway, as I've said, cilic or raonic definitely have the game and wawrinka can never be excluded, Ima look at the draw and see if it could be an all 'Swiss' final.

Statement of fact, as a Scotsman I would never represent england/britain at anything, you're either scottish or not, you can't just randomly represent whomever you deem necessary. Not turning this into a politic though. It's the reason I do not want Murray to win anything as the english media jump on the bandwagon... as they do with everything else. ANyway, as I've said, cilic or raonic definitely have the game and wawrinka can never be excluded, Ima look at the draw and see if it could be an all 'Swiss' final.

This is rank ignorance. In tennis you are categorised as British for nationality. He can't chose to be categorised as Scottish. Besides... you are not him and he is not you. It is irrelevant what you would choose to represent.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Murray is (or has been) super fit in many ways but he's not a natural athlete. He doesn't come close to the natural, graceful athleticism of Federer and some others. Murray's strengths are his explosive speed, quick thinking and mercurial genius. His weaknesses are his serve and periodic fragile mentality. He's beginning to suffer from a number of niggling injuries just as Federer and Nadal did and do.

If a fit and concentrated Murray turns up for the tournament then I think he's the favourite. If he isn't near 100% he might not make the second week.

Very good description of Andy Murray. The frustrating thing is he does incredibly well to reach high points like winning Wimbledon and reaching number one but then mentally relaxes rather than consolidating. The injuries play a part but sometimes the drive to stay ahead should overcome the pain and with Andy they seem to put a break on his will to win at times. 

Very good description of Andy Murray. The frustrating thing is he does incredibly well to reach high points like winning Wimbledon and reaching number one but then mentally relaxes rather than consolidating. The injuries play a part but sometimes the drive to stay ahead should overcome the pain and with Andy they seem to put a break on his will to win at times.

It's only to be expected as well that his previous tunnel vision motivation has been degraded by the changes in his personal life. His priorities are changed whether he likes it or not. He's not the first and wont be the last.

Some players can endure throughout of course. Just look at Federer.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It's only to be expected as well that his previous tunnel vision motivation has been degraded by the changes in his personal life. His priorities are changed whether he likes it or not. He's not the first and wont be the last.

Some players can endure throughout of course. Just look at Federer.

It is like Federer uses his family as the motivating factor and keeps him chasing slams to make them proud of him. Hopefully Murray can do likewise and increase his fairly modest haul of slams for a top player of his age. 

It is like Federer uses his family as the motivating factor and keeps him chasing slams to make them proud of him. Hopefully Murray can do likewise and increase his fairly modest haul of slams for a top player of his age.

The thing with Federer has been that he has kept his level very high and has continued getting to the sharp end of majors. Unfortunately for him he started losing a lot of finals and semi-finals and couldn't seem to add another win to his total. It seemed like he was destined to end his career with a succession of near misses which must have been hard to take. His win in Australia must have been a monumental relief and weight off his mind. He may well get a new lease of life by not having to worry about his legacy.

rudi must stay

Federer could use getting himself out of the house as a motivating factor, he is the most talented player there has ever been (along with Rafa I have to say) with a wonderful attitude too. Murray is already in retirement mode if you look at recent comments: I would say his achievements are in line with his talent. More than Cilic, more than Del Porto, the same as Stan but nowhere near as many as Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. Those three usually have too much for Murray

All roads lead to Gorgie

Federer could use getting himself out of the house as a motivating factor, he is the most talented player there has ever been (along with Rafa I have to say) with a wonderful attitude too. Murray is already in retirement mode if you look at recent comments: I would say his achievements are in line with his talent. More than Cilic, more than Del Porto, the same as Stan but nowhere near as many as Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. Those three usually have too much for Murray

Del Potro and Cilic are 28 so they still have a chance to add slams when Djokovic, Nadal and Federer retire. They could well end up with better stats than Murray. 

rudi must stay

Del Potro and Cilic are 28 so they still have a chance to add slams when Djokovic, Nadal and Federer retire. They could well end up with better stats than Murray.

Can't see it. Can see Federer and Nadal dominating again for a few years and then Kyrgios (yes I know he isn't mentioned for grand slams, but I think he is very talented and his attitude has improved) Thiem and Zverev will battle it out for trophies

Federer or Djokovic with the former the favorite.

Nadal's knees struggle to get through a fortnight on the grass. Murray is up against it form a fitness wise. Everyone else is an also ran.

I P Knightley

Murray's now having to battle to keep the #1 spot. If Nadal goes a round further than him (assuming they each get through their first couple of matches), he overtakes Murray. If Murray fails in the first week, Stan or Novak could overtake him. 

Hopefully, the hip injury that kept him out of the exhibition games was purely tactical. 

Pans Jambo

Mon the big hibby (& thats the ONLY time you will EVER hear me say that).

Murray is also a double Olympic champion which probably doesn't get as much recognition as it should.

I P Knightley

Thiem

I don't see him as a grass court player.

The next big clay-courter once Nadal's relinquished his crown; a regular quarter-finalist on hard courts but (and I've got my hat ready to eat) I doubt he'll do well in the green stuff. 

Can't see it. Can see Federer and Nadal dominating again for a few years and then Kyrgios (yes I know he isn't mentioned for grand slams, but I think he is very talented and his attitude has improved) Thiem and Zverev will battle it out for trophies

Kyrgios :D he's already struggling today. He simply is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Anyone but the Fud Express please.

Murray did great at the French but seems to be full of injury niggles so don't see him going all the way.

Kyrgios :D he's already struggling today. He simply is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Scrub that, the drama queen is out. Retired 'injured' when getting a leathering. :pleasing:

I P Knightley

Scrub that, the drama queen is out. Retired 'injured' when getting a leathering. :pleasing:

He took a hefty fall during Queen's so it's probably a fair injury, rather than a 'Novak'. 

Murray's managing a double fault per game so far :( The big fella against him has served at 133mph on a first serve and 130mph on a second. 

Bridge of Djoum

Great ambassador. 

Sad.

Yet another thread attempted to be derailed for reasons unconnected to the subject.

Not a great fan of Tennis, or Murray but I hope he wins. A guy who worked his arse off to improve and is world number 1 demands respect, (despite what team he supports).

It's about time Scots began supporting and celebrating each other, rather than reverting to dire Calvinistic bollocks and disliking others for arbitrary reasons.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Great ambassador. 

:rofl:

Dry your eyes

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Boris Becker back commentating

His knowledge of game is great

Did he have to cycle there?

lauriesrank

I see Laura Robson has been emptied already. :lol:

Excellent :)  Camila Giorgi is through though :)

I P Knightley

Think she's had it already.

Injury after injury, and even when nominally fit, collapses & loses.

A "career" forging out appearance fees on I'm A Celebrity & Strictly beckons.

They were saying on the radio that she's been injury free for almost a year and has been on the tour that whole time. Must've been losing in the first round and qualifiers of tournaments for the whole year as she's ranked way down at 175 or something.

Britain's number 3, Ally B, is doing well against Karlovic so far. 5-4 up in the first set with Karlo having "only" 4 aces to Bedene's 7. This is Karlovic who's hit over 12,000 aces in his pro career to date. Horrible player - almost as unwatchable as the big lunk Isner.

lauriesrank

They were saying on the radio that she's been injury free for almost a year and has been on the tour that whole time. Must've been losing in the first round and qualifiers of tournaments for the whole year as she's ranked way down at 175 or something.

Britain's number 3, Ally B, is doing well against Karlovic so far. 5-4 up in the first set with Karlo having "only" 4 aces to Bedene's 7. This is Karlovic who's hit over 12,000 aces in his pro career to date. Horrible player - almost as unwatchable as the big lunk Isner.

Pistol Pete was rough to watch too.  I notice that the english are shouting on a Slovenian though..... standard.  WInds me up something chronic

I P Knightley

Pistol Pete was rough to watch too.  I notice that the english are shouting on a Slovenian though..... standard.  WInds me up something chronic

Bedene's a Brit - he's got a union flag against his name and everything. Same as Greg Rusedski, Andy Murray and the Tiger. :)

I'd be happy if the crowd got behind anyone who played Karlovic unless it was Isner. They just said on the radio that that was his 698th ever tie-break. 

Agreed on Pistol Pete. When he was doing his thing, I turned off tennis a bit; even started watching the women's game.

lauriesrank

Bedene's a Brit - he's got a union flag against his name and everything. Same as Greg Rusedski, Andy Murray and the Tiger. :)

I'd be happy if the crowd got behind anyone who played Karlovic unless it was Isner. They just said on the radio that that was his 698th ever tie-break. 

Agreed on Pistol Pete. When he was doing his thing, I turned off tennis a bit; even started watching the women's game.

Murray i scottish and tim is english so I can understand that, rusedski is canadian and bedene is slovenian.

rudi must stay

Murray's winner in the first set is the best shot I've ever seen him hit, wonderful and the other guy did nothing wrong on that point either. Encouraging, and a confident start

I P Knightley

Murray i scottish and tim is english so I can understand that, rusedski is canadian and bedene is slovenian.

All four have got British passports. Rusedski's mum is British (as are Tim and Andy's mums). 

Ally B may not have a British accent like the other three but he's looking good in this match (one set all, now) and has volunteered to represent Britain, so that's good enough for me.

Back on track - Nadal looking on strong form got through with no troubles. Wawrinka making a slow start. 

And here comes Jo Konta, a break up already.

Archived