Wimbledon 2017

Johnny D

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All roads lead to Gorgie

Credit for digging that one out. I suppose the slumps during matches is something we should be well used to. Edge of seat stuff.

I watched Wimbledon as a kid late 70s and early 80s....McEnroe, Connors,Borg and Lendl etc..... I lost interest till Henman/Rodedtski came on the scene... Murray has made the sport for the casual viewer over the last decade...

J.T.F.Robertson

Nadal looks like a man on a mission although my favourite is Federer, hope Murray wins it though.

Just about covered everything there. :(

I P Knightley

Nadal looks like a man on a mission although my favourite is Federer, hope Murray wins it though.

Just about covered everything there. :(

I'm sure you could have squeezed in something for Djokovic. He seems to have recovered some form although today should be a proper test if Gulbises play like they did on Thursday.

Big Slim Stylee

I'm sure you could have squeezed in something for Djokovic. He seems to have recovered some form although today should be a proper test if Gulbises play like they did on Thursday.

Hey well-informed one :) I agree a lot. Cilic maybe, though? I get the feeling he's got a chance. Andy's not going to win this :(

I P Knightley

Hey well-informed one :) I agree a lot. Cilic maybe, though? I get the feeling he's got a chance. Andy's not going to win this :(

Cilic v Nadal should be one heck of a quarter final. The winner will put paid to Murray's hopes unless they belt each other to pieces and can't stand up for the semi.

Federer v Dimitrov looks like being the match to see on Monday.

Big Slim Stylee

Nadal would win in 3 sets vs Cilic

Think Cilic will take a set off him.  But also think the physical toll will be too much for Nadal. Whoever gets him in the final - and I think he'll get there - will beat him.

But what do I know, tbh :)

J.T.F.Robertson

Too difficult to spell correctly. ;)

I P Knightley

Too difficult to spell correctly. ;)

We'd have worked it out from 'dodgy cheat shagger'.

The dodgy cheat shagger who is currently finding the going tough against the Gulbises. A break down.

Did anyone predict this? :smuggy:

I P Knightley

I shouldn't be allowed to comment on matches. By the time I'd posted that, Djoko had broken back and taken the set.

I P Knightley

I shouldn't be allowed to comment on matches. By the time I'd posted that, Djoko had broken back and taken the set.

This could be one of my worst kiss of death posts yet. 6 games on the bounce since my wee gloat.

Andy Murray on now

First set just started

Started well...already been broken :D

Watching the Konta match. One set all but Garcia with the momentum.

Started well...already been broken :D

Break back Murray 4-4

Konta still digging in though

That's amazing

At least two matches Konta has dug out

First British woman in quarters for 33 years

Next game tomorrow Halep or Azarenka

I P Knightley

Venus still creaking along. Tomorrow will be her 100th match at Wimbledon. Some bird!

The one with the awful noise (Azarenka) is about to get pumpded oot by Halep, who's looking steady. Winner plays Oor Jo.

Konta plays Halep, the second seed tomorrow in quarter finals.

Halep should be favourite. There may be an element of grudge match for Konta.

Back in April Britain lost to Romania in the Federations Cup notable for Illie Nastase swearing at Johanna Konta who ended up in tears on court and being put off her game. Halep did the "I didn't see anything wrong" routine and has since supported Nastase. The original act came about British journalists criticised Nastase for a racist comment about Serena Williams in pre match press conference.

Tough challenge.

I P Knightley

If it comes down to arm-wrestling, Konta's going to struggle.

m_halep_1109_100717_jm.jpg

To think there was a time when her boobs were bigger than her biceps...

Incidentally, if Halep wins tomorrow, she goes to world #1 regardless of what happens for the rest of the week. If Konta wins, she moves into the top 4. They're the two highest ranked wifie players left in the draw. 

Meanwhile, Muller might be about to take the first set off Nadal - the first set he'd have lost in something like 30 attempts in Grand Slam events.

Former world number one who has won the square root of feck all, Wozniacki flops again I see. Still, always a career in beachwear modelling.

:pleasing:

I P Knightley

Former world number one who has won the square root of feck all, Wozniacki flops again I see. Still, always a career in beachwear modelling.

:pleasing:

Sponsorship deal with Tefal. (One for the auldies to remember.)

If Murray gets through, he'll play either Anderson or Querrey. Two big servers who are in a 4th set tie break at the moment. 2 and a half hours of big serves and quick points - glad I didn't tune in to watch.

Harry Potter

Taken Murray 5/1 to win Wimbledon ?15......

I would want him to win anyway if no bet.

Easy win today for him.

JudyJudyJudy

If it comes down to arm-wrestling, Konta's going to struggle.

m_halep_1109_100717_jm.jpg

To think there was a time when her boobs were bigger than her biceps...

Incidentally, if Halep wins tomorrow, she goes to world #1 regardless of what happens for the rest of the week. If Konta wins, she moves into the top 4. They're the two highest ranked wifie players left in the draw. 

Meanwhile, Muller might be about to take the first set off Nadal - the first set he'd have lost in something like 30 attempts in Grand Slam events.

I like Halep and I think she will beat the " British" Konta.  Heres hoping anyway . Shes the much finer player and im surprised she hasnt won a slam. 

chester copperpot

I like Halep and I think she will beat the " British" Konta. Heres hoping anyway . Shes the much finer player and im surprised she hasnt won a slam.

You seem to like the manly looking female tennis players.

Especially when I called them the Williams brothers last year.

Something you want to share here James mate? :lol:

I P Knightley

Oh, hullo!

Nadal just heading for two sets down against the big fella from Luxembourg. 

JudyJudyJudy

Im more worried you would remember my posting from last year...!!!   Yes i prefer the power hitters than the pathetic pit a pat of some of the wimmin playing...Give me Serena anyday over pretty soft players like Sharapova....and er female tennis players irrespective of any muscles arent " my bag"....

I P Knightley

Milos Raonic is also doing badly in his match. 

The younger Zverev is a set and a break up. He's some player and will most likely be in the top 8 by the end of the year. A definite challenger for the future.

Oh, hullo!

Nadal just heading for two sets down against the big fella from Luxembourg. 

its been a good week for luxembourg sport

You obviously don't remember every post that James has made, especially in terms of what he does or doesn't like.

JudyJudyJudy

im flattered that any of my posts are remembered on this ! 

You obviously don't remember every post that James has made, especially in terms of what he does or doesn't like.

Sponsorship deal with Tefal. (One for the auldies to remember.)

If Murray gets through, he'll play either Anderson or Querrey. Two big servers who are in a 4th set tie break at the moment. 2 and a half hours of big serves and quick points - glad I didn't tune in to watch.

Querrey it is

Won in 5 sets

I P Knightley

its been a good week for luxembourg sport

I thought that while typing. 

Nadal's turning it around now, back to 2-2 in sets. 

Federer is taking Dimitrov apart - once again confirming that I shouldn't call any matches; really thought it would be a good match up.

lauriesrank

I dinnae get why they're mostly cheering on Nadal, a previous winner and..... oh that's right glory hunting, surely you'd want Gerd muller to win if you're impartial!  Douchebags

lauriesrank

Gives the wee laddie a wrapper to put in the bin that's three feet away from him, how up theirselves are tennis players!

Milos Raonic is also doing badly in his match.

The younger Zverev is a set and a break up. He's some player and will most likely be in the top 8 by the end of the year. A definite challenger for the future.

Backed Zverev for the tournament. He played well but chucked it at the end there. Really enjoyed watching him. No messing about, just goes from shot to shot and rattles through them.

I dinnae get why they're mostly cheering on Nadal, a previous winner and..... oh that's right glory hunting, surely you'd want Gerd muller to win if you're impartial!  Douchebags

Will never forgive those ***** for being more pro Federer than Murray in 2012.

Fortunately the relative 'schemies' of the Olympic crowd knew the score.

lauriesrank

Some great play and some poor decisions by muller at times, still not happy with the nadal love in though, I think he's a magnificent player of course, just rather see a new face getting through.  

I P Knightley

Nadal whinging about a glare which we clearly saw in Muller's face during the last game. Big baby.

lauriesrank

I liked the fact that he apologised for taking so long on his serve... the man who takes an eternity every shot anyway!

I P Knightley

This match goes to show what a strong performance Bedene put on. Muller is no mug this season and young Ally B took him close.

I liked the fact that he apologised for taking so long on his serve... the man who takes an eternity every shot anyway!

Undo wedgie in shorts, touch left side of hair, touch right side of hair, bounce, bounce, bounce and serve

Archived