Bands or Musicians You Just Dont 'Get'

been here before

hmfc_liam06

Didn't think this was about bands you think are shite, but bands you don't get. I don't think the Stones are shite, but I don't get them at all. I'll add Cohen and Neil Young to the list.

I loved Gabriel era Genesis but I never got Yes or ELP.

Yep, some missing the point. 

Agree with Cohen & Young too. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nookie Bear

Phillistine.

I know, I really *should* like his music and there is nothing wrong with it.

It just doesn't hit me.

been here before

Yep, some missing the point.

Like Frank...

I think its completely pointless people saying the likes of Bowie, Doors, Who, etc are shite when appeal and record sales spanning 40-50 years would tend to make their opinions irrelevant.

luckyBatistuta

Led Zeppelin, a few good songs...

The Who, a few good songs...

Kings of Leon, a couple of good songs...

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, a couple of good songs...

Nirvana, a couple of good songs...

I used to think Leonard Cohen, but for some bizarre reason as I got older that has changed.

I now think the man was a genius.

Am I alone in this ?

No you are not alone, more of a poet than a singer, I can read Cohen's lyrics like I read a book of poetry, ridiculously talented.

Led Zeppelin, a few good songs...

The Who, a few good songs...

Kings of Leon, a couple of good songs...

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, a couple of good songs...

Nirvana, a couple of good songs...

What I call greatest hits type bands. As in you would buy a greatest hits album but not get the urge to buy anything else by them. For me it would be Neil Young. He's doubtless done some great songs but I don't have the urge to explore any more.

zoltan socrates

As above:

Arctic Monkeys

Madchester bands (except Oasis)

Muse

Radiohead

Rap music

The Beatles

Calvin Harris can just suck on it

Cant stand that Sean Paul fella

Hated all that Scottish 90's dance scene crap with TTF etc.

Oasis wurnae a madchester band,

Franz Ferdinand - awful. Tbf has anyone figured out why England (taking pop into accoubt) and even Ireland so spectacularly piss over us in the pop music stakes historically? Am I wrong on this one?

Oasis wurnae a madchester band,

Good. Inspiral carpets? Insipid carpets mare like!

Just read above...Drake. Why has nobody shot him yet???

Franz Ferdinand - awful. Tbf has anyone figured out why England (taking pop into accoubt) and even Ireland so spectacularly piss over us in the pop music stakes historically? Am I wrong on this one?

England piss over everyone when it comes to modern (1960s to present) music with the exception of America maybe.

The Beatles

Queen

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Kinks

Dire Straits

The Who

Rolling Stones

Bowie

George Michael

The Police

Elton John

ELO

T Rex

The Jam

Oasis

Clapton

Stone Roses

Fleetwood Mac (ish)

Radiohead

Mersey Beat

Glam Rock

New Romantics

Synth Pop

Mods

Indie

The list is endless

Two supposedly great albums I don't get are Screamadelica and Blue Lines. Unfinished Sympathy I do get, and I like a few other tracks on each, but would never sit through either in its entirety.

Nookie Bear

England piss over everyone when it comes to modern (1960s to present) music with the exception of America maybe.

The Beatles

Queen

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Kinks

Dire Straits

The Who

Rolling Stones

Bowie

George Michael

The Police

Elton John

ELO

T Rex

The Jam

Oasis

Clapton

Stone Roses

Fleetwood Mac (ish)

Radiohead

Mersey Beat

Glam Rock

New Romantics

Synth Pop

Mods

Indie

The list is endless

Plus our ska bands

And British punk

And our resident dance fans would be able to add to that list as well.

The problem with America is, unless you make a bit of effort to dig out decent stuff, all we get here is RnB and rap, and its dire.

Joy Division. I love New Order as well but Joy Division are painful to listen to.

Also Oasis and The Beatles. Bland pish.

jambo-fletch

Stone Roses- a few great tracks but for the most part hugely overrated.

Abba- can't stand them!

Muse- never really been a fan!

Not a band but an album I've struggled to get into with the exception of a few tracks is Sgt peppers lonely hearts club band. I get that is was probably extremely ground breaking at the time and ' a day in the life' is arguably my favourite Beatles track. But for the most part I feel there is a lot of filler on the album!

Plus our ska bands

And British punk

And our resident dance fans would be able to add to that list as well.

The problem with America is, unless you make a bit of effort to dig out decent stuff, all we get here is RnB and rap, and its dire.

Never go bands liek the Clash etc.  I like a few Pistols sonfs but I think AITUK is the most over rated album on the planet.

Dance yeah we have some (especially in the 90s) but the greats lie more with our European friends imo.

Stone Roses- a few great tracks but for the most part hugely overrated.

Abba- can't stand them!

Muse- never really been a fan!

Not a band but an album I've struggled to get into with the exception of a few tracks is Sgt peppers lonely hearts club band. I get that is was probably extremely ground breaking at the time and ' a day in the life' is arguably my favourite Beatles track. But for the most part I feel there is a lot of filler on the album!

I can understand people not liking ABBA but they really are the greatest ?pop? band of all time imo.  I salute their contribution and genius.

Nookie Bear

Never go bands liek the Clash etc.  I like a few Pistols sonfs but I think AITUK is the most over rated album on the planet.

Dance yeah we have some (especially in the 90s) but the greats lie more with our European friends imo.

Oh aye, like Jean Michel Jarre...now we're cookin' !!

Oh aye, like Jean Michel Jarre...now we're cookin' !!

No Mercy

N-Trance

Snap

Ace of Base

Black Box

Cappella

2 Unlimited

La Bouche

Livin Joy

Corona

Real McCoy

Eiffel 65

Cascada

Basshunter

Culture Beat

Dr Alban

Sash

E-Type

Haddaway

Technotronic

Scooter

Vengaboys

Armin Van Buuren

Avici

Daft Punk

Jean Michelle Jarre

Swedish House Mafia

David Guetta

Gigi D?Agostini (one of my favs)

Like Frank...

:cornette:

No it is a shite thread that is going to end up listing every successful artist in history.

Bash on with whatever point you think you are making.

been here before

:cornette:

No it is a shite thread that is going to end up listing every successful artist in history.

Bash on with whatever point you think you are making.

Im not making a point franky boy. Its how these message board things work, ye know a sort of online blether about this that and nothing.

You're obviously struggling with the thread, taking it awful personnal. If you think its a shite thread then nae bother franky. Bit odd you'd keep coming back to read and post on it though.

But franko, if that sort of thing turns you on then you crack on. Sounds like you need it.

rudi must stay

Sia

Can't believe she's taken seriously turning her back to the audience. And her music's nothing special

Im not making a point franky boy. Its how these message board things work, ye know a sort of online blether about this that and nothing.

You're obviously struggling with the thread, taking it awful personnal. If you think its a shite thread then nae bother franky. Bit odd you'd keep coming back to read and post on it though.

But franko, if that sort of thing turns you on then you crack on. Sounds like you need it.

I'm not struggling with the point of the thread - its just a shite thread.  As the OP please take it personally.

I used to think Leonard Cohen, but for some bizarre reason as I got older that has changed.

I now think the man was a genius.

Am I alone in this ?

Not to everyone's taste, but I've always loved Cohen. I'm Your Man was an immense album.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

No Mercy

N-Trance

Snap

Ace of Base

Black Box

Cappella

2 Unlimited

La Bouche

Livin Joy

Corona

Real McCoy

Eiffel 65

Cascada

Basshunter

Culture Beat

Dr Alban

Sash

E-Type

Haddaway

Technotronic

Scooter

Vengaboys

Armin Van Buuren

Avici

Daft Punk

Jean Michelle Jarre

Swedish House Mafia

David Guetta

Gigi D?Agostini (one of my favs)

Shit_ffa053_931591.jpg

Unknown user

I'm not struggling with the point of the thread - its just a shite thread. As the OP please take it personally.

Who hangs about a shite thread, making it shite for people who are enjoying it?

Scoot, go on, bad cat, don't make me get the hose out...

Nookie Bear

Yep.

If I want a fight, I will take it to the Terrace or get involved in one of the political discussions in The Shed.

But it will be a dark day when I start genuinely falling out with folk over the merits of Bruce Springsteen.

The Foo Fighters. Rock music for people who don't like rock music.

And Travis. I'd forgotten they existed then there was a radio interview a couple of days back. How the hell did they ever headline Glastonbury?

Agree with both.Add on Queens of the Stoneage and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Queen as well.Liked them at school but after a Day at the Races never appealed at all.

Radio Gaga period,especially.

Metal.

Too po-faced and worthy for me.

I hate the 'metal' look.  It is so disgusting and smelly.

Unknown user

Metal.

Too po-faced and worthy for me.

I don't know what you're saying exactly but nothing gets the blood pumping like some good metal in the morning!

Bad metal is awful though to be fair

I don't know what you're saying exactly but nothing gets the blood pumping like some good metal in the morning!

Each to thier own I suppose.......I have a wank.

hmfc_liam06

Frank, first off, I hope you're ok. 

We're not disputing the success of these bands and artists, we're not even saying they're shite. We're saying we don't "get" them, as in we don't quite understand why they are so successful or why so many like them. Maybe you don't get what get means? I don't know.

Lets take one of my shouts as an example. The Clash. They've written a few quality songs in my opinion, but I just don't "get" why they're so big/popular because the rest of their catalogue just doesn't match up to those few quality songs.

You getting it?

Actually, you won't even see this because you wouldn't visit a thread you think is shite. Which is a pity.

We're not disputing the success of these bands and artists, we're not even saying they're shite. We're saying we don't "get" them, as in we don't quite understand why they are so successful or why so many like them. Maybe you don't get what get means? I don't know.

Lets take one of my shouts as an example. The Clash. They've written a few quality songs in my opinion, but I just don't "get" why they're so big/popular because the rest of their catalogue just doesn't match up to those few quality songs.

You getting it?

Actually, you won't even see this because you wouldn't visit a thread you think is shite. Which is a pity.

You don't get why people like David Bowie, The Doors, or entire genres like Metal, Electronic etc?

Why not simply look at some videos on YouTube and find out?

Music is about taste and some of the comments on here suggest some people have very limited tastes decided on by their peers.

Unknown user

You don't get why people like David Bowie, The Doors, or entire genres like Metal, Electronic etc?

Music is about taste and some of the comments on here suggest some people have very limited tastes decided on by their peers.

Music is indeed about taste, and here are people discussing their musical tastes. Nothing wrong with that, it's a forum.

GlasgoJambo

Apologies for the Lawson-esque grandiosity of this post and moving away from the just bands or acts part of the OP.

My musical preference is all over the shop from power pop to Latin American folk, classical to 90s rave but the one genre I could never get was the house music of the mid to late 90s, not the chart stuff the more club orientated handbag house. I have a personal grievance towards it in that most of my friends embraced every aspect of a scene which I would be an inactive onlooker. Queueing for over priced clubs with bland beers and then the incessant quest for the after party to sit around in a filthy flat while tedious bedroom DJs provided a soundtrack for coke fueled narcissists to chew their chins off at each other. While I got the musical nuances of techno and the raw energy of rave and jungle and the soul of hip hop, despite my best efforts I just couldn't find the redeeming aspect to this music - my brain just couldn't engage with it. And I was sure I was missing something as this was the scene that the music journalists would fetishise - any clubs which got a serious intellectual observance were house clubs, they demanded the biggest queues and the highest prices and the most column inches. It really became tantamount to jealousy that I couldn't get it at all while to others it came easier than riding a bike.

And see when it came to Sunday and no one was about to watch or play football or go to the pub because they were all coming down after the latest bore-fest it would do my tits right in.

hmfc_liam06

Chill out man, other people have different tastes than you, it happens.

You seem to be taking it awfy personal, hope you're ok? I'm here for you, if you want to come round for a cuppa and we can stick on some Sugababes and chat through it?

luckyBatistuta

You getting it?

I'd just give up mate :wallbash:

Archived