Bands or Musicians You Just Dont 'Get'

been here before

luckyBatistuta

Chill out man, other people have different tastes than you, it happens.

You seem to be taking it awfy personal, hope you're ok? I'm here for you, if you want to come round for a cuppa and we can stick on some Sugababes and chat through it?

:4_1_72:

On form today

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a decent thread, as it's something I've often wondered. Why I just don't get certain bands that others rave about.

My top 4 that I always skip past if they come on are.

The Beatles

U2

Bruce Springsteen

Abba

I know they are all talented, but they leave me cold.

Unknown user

You seem to be taking it awfy personal, hope you're ok? I'm here for you, if you want to come round for a cuppa and we can stick on some Sugababes and chat through it?

You're taking the piss!

The boy's clearly a Taylor Swift man

hmfc_liam06

You're taking the piss!

The boy's clearly a Taylor Swift man

Is he? I just don't get her tbh.

Unknown user

Is he? I just don't get her tbh.

I've been around the Mrs playing her so much I'm nearly a fan. Mind you, she's slowly getting into King Diamond so it's all good.

lauriesrank

I don't get the love in with:  The beatles (who I believe are the most overhyped band ever, talk to children now and instantly they'll say the beatles are the best band ever (Queen), oh and Jimi Hendrix was the best guitarist (who is probably michael angelo batio) which stinks of indoctrination albeit, hopefully subconcious,) Nirvana (mostly successful cause of Cobain killing himself) and coldmartinplay who make you want to do a cobain.

Frank, first off, I hope you're ok. 

We're not disputing the success of these bands and artists, we're not even saying they're shite. We're saying we don't "get" them, as in we don't quite understand why they are so successful or why so many like them. Maybe you don't get what get means? I don't know.

Lets take one of my shouts as an example. The Clash. They've written a few quality songs in my opinion, but I just don't "get" why they're so big/popular because the rest of their catalogue just doesn't match up to those few quality songs.

You getting it?

Actually, you won't even see this because you wouldn't visit a thread you think is shite. Which is a pity.

Wow, some fantastic assumptions/conclusions you've come to there! I'm alright, thanks for asking, you patronising fud.

Unknown user

Wow, some fantastic assumptions/conclusions you've come to there! I'm alright, thanks for asking, you patronising fud.

:laugh: no you ya dafty!

hmfc_liam06

:lol:

Oh you!

Music is indeed about taste, and here are people discussing their musical tastes. Nothing wrong with that, it's a forum.

Indeed, though I'd be a pedant and add 'personal' before 'taste'.

Given that it's popular practice to go off on tangents these days, what is it about the music you like that makes you like it? 

Shaggy.

shagy.png

I left my phone unattended earlier, dunno who decided to post Shaggy on my behalf.

It wazzunt me.

been here before

Glorious franky baby, just glorious

:rofl:

A thread I had decided to read only as I couldn't be bothered with the handbags, but had to pop in just to say..

:lol:

First visit to this thread in a day and I see a page of people having a go.

Let me make it clear, I don't care what music other people like.

I was only trying to turn the thread into something constructive e.g. you don't like artist X but have you really listened to them and give constructive suggestions.

What is there to be gained by a thread dissing every successful artist if you don't challenge some of them?

I have quite a varied taste and do like to discover new or existing artists. Springsteen is someone I didn't get for quite a while. I went to one of his gigs with my brother and now I am a big fan.

If people want to be narrow minded and lomit their music taste its their problem, not mine. I don't care.

been here before

First visit to this thread in a day and I see a page of people having a go.

Let me make it clear, I don't care what music other people like.

I was only trying to turn the thread into something constructive e.g. you don't like artist X but have you really listened to them and give constructive suggestions.

What is there to be gained by a thread dissing every successful artist if you don't challenge some of them?

I have quite a varied taste and do like to discover new or existing artists. Springsteen is someone I didn't get for quite a while. I went to one of his gigs with my brother and now I am a big fan.

If people want to be narrow minded and lomit their music taste its their problem, not mine. I don't care.

Why do you keep coming back if you think it's a "shite thread" ?

The thread isn't "dissing every successful artist". If that's what you think its about then you're completely missing the point. Totally and abjectly.

Just because people have a different taste to you franky bubble it doesn't make them "narrow minded" or "limited" it just means they like different stuff. Now to use your own ridiculous parameters unless you, franky the muso, like every single tune by every single band ever recorded then by your own definition you are narrow minded and limited.

And aye, you don't care. It's why you keep coming back to a "shite thread" trying to argue and dole out abuse with people who simply have different musical tastes to you.

People like what they like frankers and they really don't need "challenged" over it.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone take a thread on an internet message board so personally.

The Internet

There's a boy in my work who listens to proper hipster stuff, like the most obscure shite that I bet no one has heard of and i can't even describe it. It's ****ing chronic. The best comparison I can come up with is most of it sounds like when Ross was playing the keyboard in Friends. Just a random collection of noises that doesn't even count as music.

I definitely don't get it.

Why do you keep coming back if you think it's a "shite thread" ?

The thread isn't "dissing every successful artist". If that's what you think its about then you're completely missing the point. Totally and abjectly.

Just because people have a different taste to you franky bubble it doesn't make them "narrow minded" or "limited" it just means they like different stuff. Now to use your own ridiculous parameters unless you, franky the muso, like every single tune by every single band ever recorded then by your own definition you are narrow minded and limited.

And aye, you don't care. It's why you keep coming back to a "shite thread" trying to argue and dole out abuse with people who simply have different musical tastes to you.

People like what they like frankers and they really don't need "challenged" over it.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone take a thread on an internet message board so personally.

I keep coming back because you are acting like a complete throbber. You clearly know **** all about music.

You have missed the point on so many levels its a waste of time trying to debate with you.

Indeed, though I'd be a pedant and add 'personal' before 'taste'.

Given that it's popular practice to go off on tangents these days, what is it about the music you like that makes you like it?

I keep coming back because you are acting like a complete throbber. You clearly know **** all about music.

You have missed the point on so many levels its a waste of time trying to debate with you.

Have "The Mountain" on now...just thought I might mention it.

been here before

Francis...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/Pages/mental-health-helplines.aspx

NHS 24 Mental Health pages. Might help.

Anyway the games about to start. Boy standing in for Scott Wilson in playing Supersonic by Oasis.

Shall I give him your best?

rudi must stay

Paulo Nutini

Bjork

Cerys Matthews

Aye I don't get Nutini either. That song about fruit he did was terrible

doctor jambo

Metallica, always loved thrash but apart from One and four horsemen I just skip through it all

Unknown user

Metallica, always loved thrash but apart from One and four horsemen I just skip through it all

I cut my teeth on kill em all and ride the lightning but I'm the same, just cannot stand them now. They perfected the art of alienating old fans and hoovering up many more new ones.

When I think about it their covers of The Prince and Breadfan still get my heart pumping to be fair

Have "The Mountain" on now...just thought I might mention it.

You obviously have good taste.

robroy1874

Completely fail to understand the world-wide adulation for Ed Sheeran

Rihanna.

Don't understand why she's so popular, or why people like her music.  Her songs are all ****ing identical and they're all shit.

luckyBatistuta

Elie Goulding. Pish water

Wife loves her, christ knows why. Utter garbage.

Rihanna.

Don't understand why she's so popular, or why people like her music.  Her songs are all ******* identical and they're all shit.

As you say, every ruddy song sounds the same and others now copy her and sound the same :cornette:

Beyonce also does my head in too, as all her songs sound exactly the same too

Mariah Carey, would honestly choke her to death, just to stop that infernal screeching that she does.

• 2 weeks later...

Some strange taste on here. I love music and have a wide taste from bocelli to slipknot and many in between. The band's i rally can't be doing with though are

Blur - apart from song 2 utter tripe

Travis- duller than dull

Beautiful south - just f@#$ off

Elbow- the dreariest bunch of boring sods on the planet.

Unknown user

Anything described as modern R & B.

Just saw this, great call, utter utter bollocks.

Fleetwood f'ing Mac.

Seems to be a concerted effort to make them out to be some sort of legendary band, but it just sounds like bland middle-of-the-road pap to me.

heart & soul

Oasis - a deluded Beatles tribute act, and not a very good one at that. How have they managed to pull the wool over so many people's eyes? Personalities aside, they're terrible musicians and their songs really do mean nothing.

The Whitlams - no please no. Australian watered down whiny p1sh. Make the Lighthouse Family look sound like Saxon.

Muse - we had Queen, we don't need Muse.

Metallica - the choice of folk who don't normally like music. Big with the Grand Prix crowd. Skilled musicians taking themselves far too seriously.

The Clash - oddly enough, I liked BAD but just can't get into the Clash.

Faithless - can anyone defend Faithless?

Archived