General Election

Don Dan

They use a varied set, as do most.

Anyway, here's the first Tory policies.

No triple pension lock and VAT to rise.

Happy with that?

So has TM changed her mind from this morning when she announced on national TV that there would be no VAT rise?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

So has TM changed her mind from this morning when she announced on national TV that there would be no VAT rise?

She dodged the question again I believe.

George Osbourne said there would be no VAT rise in 2010 and guess what, it went up 5% to 20.

deesidejambo

They use a varied set, as do most.

Anyway, here's the first Tory policies.

No triple pension lock and VAT to rise.

Happy with that?

Given that she's just announced no VAT rise then I think you may be incorrect.  Good try.

But on the pollsters - which Pollsters, specifically SM, do you accept and which dont you?    Given that the poll you provided a link to was, er YouGov, then I think you may be internally confused.   Are YouGov reliable or not?      If you dont accept them then its pretty stupid to post a link to a poll done by them.

But keep deflecting to the Tories, they obviously have you seriously rattled.

Space Mackerel

Given that she's just announced no VAT rise then I think you may be incorrect. Good try.

But on the pollsters - which Pollsters, specifically SM, do you accept and which dont you? Given that the poll you provided a link to was, er YouGov, then I think you may be internally confused. Are YouGov reliable or not? If you dont accept them then its pretty stupid to post a link to a poll done by them.

But keep deflecting to the Tories, they obviously have you seriously rattled.

Here's the best Yoon paper saying otherwise :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/22/theresa-may-fails-rule-tax-rises/

She dodged the question again I believe.

George Osbourne said there would be no VAT rise in 2010 and guess what, it went up 5% to 20.

No. She categorically stated that there would be no rise.

I'm not sure how you could have missed this? Who's saying she dodged the question?

Space Mackerel

No. She categorically stated that there would be no rise.

I'm not sure how you could have missed this? Who's saying she dodged the question?

Read the Telegraph report I posted.

Read the Telegraph report I posted.

That's 8 days old. I'm talking about her announcement today.

maroonlegions

More MSM!! You are spending a lot of time on media that you "don't read".

Maybe you don't watch BBC News but you should -

General election 2017: May says Tories would not raise VAT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39761740

No way can you trust anything that comes out of her mouth,

No way can you trust anything that comes out of her mouth,

Theresa May was asked why nurses are having to use foodbanks under her government. Her answer says it all

INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

If a nurse earns between ?21650 and ?35500, just googled it, why are they going to a food bank? Not having a go at nurses, just asking.

If a nurse earns between ?21650 and ?35500, just googled it, why are they going to a food bank? Not having a go at nurses, just asking.

Anyone?

indianajones

Anyone?

Perhaps their husband/wife has been made redundant and they are having to support an entire family. There could be numerous reasons.

As a public sector worker and civil servant, I can tell you the pay is a complete farce. It's quite disgusting actually. I live by myself and have a mortgage with every other bill that comes with it and I barely have enough money at the end of the month for much else. Effectively we are on less pay now than we were 10 years ago because of inflation and tax rises.

Austerity though eh?

Conservatives will continue to shite on the working class forever more. I am utterly bewildered at now anyone can morally vote for them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Perhaps their husband/wife has been made redundant and they are having to support an entire family. There could be numerous reasons.

As a public sector worker and civil servant, I can tell you the pay is a complete farce. It's quite disgusting actually. I live by myself and have a mortgage with every other bill that comes with it and I barely have enough money at the end of the month for much else. Effectively we are on less pay now than we were 10 years ago because of inflation and tax rises.

Austerity though eh?

Conservatives will continue to shite on the working class forever more. I am utterly bewildered at now anyone can morally vote for them.

But this could be said of any profesion, not just nurses. I was made redundant and my wife supported the both of us for a couple of months untill I got a new job, she worked in a call centre, is Jeremy Corbyn shouting about call centre workers having to go to food banks? Or is he playing on sympathy, a bit patronising to nurses?

indianajones

But this could be said of any profesion, not just nurses. I was made redundant and my wife supported the both of us for a couple of months untill I got a new job, she worked in a call centre, is Jeremy Corbyn shouting about call centre workers having to go to food banks? Or is he playing on sympathy, a bit patronising to nurses?

Nurses are paid by the state in a service which is being pushed to its limits by the current governments austerity. Something that if elected, he could quite easily change which is why he is mentioning it I'm guessing. Rightly so too.

You are right regarding other professions in different sectors too though. I'm sure he would be wanting to address them as well.

I'm not a labour voter by the way.

Nurses are paid by the state in a service which is being pushed to its limits by the current governments austerity. Something that if elected, he could quite easily change which is why he is mentioning it I'm guessing. Rightly so too.

You are right regarding other professions in different sectors too though. I'm sure he would be wanting to address them as well.

I'm not a labour voter by the way.

I just think it was a cynical political point scoring ploy, my best mate and his wife are both nurses, his wife is pretty high up, grade 5 or so, they were both angry and embarrassed at the statement, that's why I asked

Funny seeing poster who are never off this thread, who think they are wealthy.................but are always on the Kodi thread.

Thunderstruck

Are all public sector workers paid by the UK Government?

I suppose we should be grateful that up here in Scotland the a Scottish Government has ensured that public sector salaries have matched inflation since the SNP.

Better to point the finger and stoke grievance than address the issue.

jambos are go!

Just watched a recording of Sunday Politics with Andrew Neil giving Alex Salmond a real going over on local authority funding and Education amongst other things. Its on the BBC iPlayer and about to be repeated on the BBC News Channel at midnight. Also watch the SNP Fishery trying to squirm out of answering questions about remaining in the EC but getting out of the mandatory Fisheries Policy.

Just watched a recording of Sunday Politics with Andrew Neil giving Alex Salmond a real going over on local authority funding and Education amongst other things. Its on the BBC iPlayer and about to be repeated on the BBC News Channel at midnight. Also watch the SNP Fishery trying to squirm out of answering questions about remaining in the EC but getting out of the mandatory Fisheries Policy.

To be fair, both Drew Hendry and Ross Thomson were woeful on fishing. There's a clear dishonesty in both positions and that is based on a clear lack of planning by their sides on what follows Brexit/Independence.

Salmond was untypically poor. Constantly on the defensive on council funding and on educational standards.

Frankly it's getting tiresome hearing Scottish politicians try and deflect from the failings of Scotland's public services by arguing "aye well 1 in 5 primary school children might leave primary functionally illiterate but hey, have you seen how often the bins in Huddersfield are collected?!"

Falling standards within Scotland are being recorded in Scottish schooling at a time when education is being cut. Why not address this head on rather than spend 43 hours of government parliamentary time on independence? Who knows... making Scotland a better place to live may well help win independence...

Space Mackerel

To be fair, both Drew Hendry and Ross Thomson were woeful on fishing. There's a clear dishonesty in both positions and that is based on a clear lack of planning by their sides on what follows Brexit/Independence.

Salmond was untypically poor. Constantly on the defensive on council funding and on educational standards.

Frankly it's getting tiresome hearing Scottish politicians try and deflect from the failings of Scotland's public services by arguing "aye well 1 in 5 primary school children might leave primary functionally illiterate but hey, have you seen how often the bins in Huddersfield are collected?!"

Falling standards within Scotland are being recorded in Scottish schooling at a time when education is being cut. Why not address this head on rather than spend 43 hours of government parliamentary time on independence? Who knows... making Scotland a better place to live may well help win independence...

Here's a nice wee thread on Twitter explaining the nonsense that is the PISA results.

https://twitter.com/mammothwhale/status/858736473843134469

Now about all this corruption that's littering Labour run Councils and the schools that are falling down built under their watch?

Its kind of sweet that you think a debate about education in the Parliament would help improve standards. Education would be better if they paid for more and better trained teachers.

To answer someone's questions from a few posts back about what would be a good or bad result for the SNP. Anything over 50 is still an excellent result, however it would be lessened if the Conservatives got more than 2 seats, losing to the Lib Dems up North or Labour in Glasgow is not such a big deal.

I think they'll win 56 again, but not the same ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps a debate on educational standards where the government was held to account and got some visible press coverage on the subject would shift the government into acting on the matter.

To apply your put down on my point on independence would surely be just as fruitless, no?

As for election results I don't think 56. Depending on how the Liberals do in Edinburgh West and Renfrewshire could be looking at nearer 45ish given the growth in Tory support. Long way off polling day however.

Here's a nice wee thread on Twitter explaining the nonsense that is the PISA results.

I didn't get the results I wanted therefore the test is wrong.

What about 1 in 5 primary school kids being functionally illiterate? That's not Pisa.

Or council cuts. The Greens managed to prevent a ?300 million cut to about an ?127 million cut. So it's a cut nonetheless.

Keep shifting your goalposts. It's the same show of arrogance Labour showed in Scotland for decades and in the end killed their chances for a while to come.

Now about all this corruption that's littering Labour run Councils and the schools that are falling down built under their watch?

See my above last line. Labour has been bad for corruption and there have been failings on their watch. Better to accept that and try and change it than not to do so. The SNP should learn inaction does little. So maybe try and fix education before the same rot sets in.

Unknown user

Funny seeing poster who are never off this thread, who think they are wealthy.................but are always on the Kodi thread.

Why? Earning well doesn't mean you want to feed Murdich's empire

jambos are go!

The SNP cut 4000 teachers but its nothing to do with 20% functional iliteracy in kids leaving primary schools or class sizes rising from a promised 18 to 22.5 and rising. Salmond defending the denial of increased Westminter funding to his own local authority but berating Westminster austerity . Do people not realise their record is abysmal?

Space Mackerel

I didn't get the results I wanted therefore the test is wrong.

What about 1 in 5 primary school kids being functionally illiterate? That's not Pisa.

Or council cuts. The Greens managed to prevent a ?300 million cut to about an ?127 million cut. So it's a cut nonetheless.

Keep shifting your goalposts. It's the same show of arrogance Labour showed in Scotland for decades and in the end killed their chances for a while to come.

See my above last line. Labour has been bad for corruption and there have been failings on their watch. Better to accept that and try and change it than not to do so. The SNP should learn inaction does little. So maybe try and fix education before the same rot sets in.

Maybe this functional illiteracy is down to parents coming home and plonking their kids in front of PS4's, tablets and mobile phones most their waking days.

Or all the teachers in Scotland are complete shite?

Which do you think?

Bindy Badgy

Do you have a citation for this? I've had a quick scan through the thread but can't see where this figure has come from.

'Primary school kids' is a very broad age range. Based on my own experience I would expect close to 100% of children in P1 to be illiterate. I would be very surprised if 20% of P7 children are. Looking back I can only think of two children in my P7 class that could have been described as illiterate. It shouldn't surprise anyone when I write that they were complete headcases that came from dodgy households and that when the rest of us moved up to the normal high school they had to go to a special school for disruptive children.

Dawnrazor

Do you have a citation for this? I've had a quick scan through the thread but can't see where this figure has come from.

'Primary school kids' is a very broad age range. Based on my own experience I would expect close to 100% of children in P1 to be illiterate. I would be very surprised if 20% of P7 children are. Looking back I can only think of two children in my P7 class that could have been described as illiterate. It shouldn't surprise anyone when I write that they were complete headcases that came from dodgy households and that when the rest of us moved up to the normal high school they had to go to a special school for disruptive children.

I think the accusation is that 1 in 5 children leaving primary school are functionally illiterate.

It was a statistic used (amongst others) on the Sunday Politics. Having looked for the source I believe it's from a Save the Children report:

A mission to ensure ALL children in Scotland are ... - Save the Children

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/sites/default/files/docs/Read_On_Get_On_Scotland.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjU68zPvs7TAhXRFsAKHTpHDlsQFggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNFuuS3oxTrsETGvCZSW4D-wGVk5ow&sig2=DhB7qzvo5E6btabSzA_tVA

jambos are go!

Salmond did not challenge the statement and tried to change the subject continually.

Maybe this functional illiteracy is down to parents coming home and plonking their kids in front of PS4's, tablets and mobile phones most their waking days.

Which do you think?

Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's underfunding our schools, larger class sizes and less support staff in classrooms to help children out.

Local councils have seen budgets fall. Education is a local government concern and pay for the staff in our schools. Less teachers, less support staff then it's no surprise standards fall with over stretched resources spread thinly.

jambos are go!

Which do you think?

Aye blame anybody but the blessed SNP

Dawnrazor

Andrew Marr quoted figures of the hours spend in debate on independence compared the Education, Salmond fair squirmed at these :laugh4:

Bindy Badgy

It was a statistic used (amongst others) on the Sunday Politics. Having looked for the source I believe it's from a Save the Children report:

A mission to ensure ALL children in Scotland are ... - Save the Children

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/sites/default/files/docs/Read_On_Get_On_Scotland.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjU68zPvs7TAhXRFsAKHTpHDlsQFggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNFuuS3oxTrsETGvCZSW4D-wGVk5ow&sig2=DhB7qzvo5E6btabSzA_tVA

I haven't bothered going through the report but it seems like a reasonable source assuming all the figures match up. Seems surprising based on my own experience. I suppose that's why anecdotal accounts are next to worthless. 

I haven't bothered going through the report but it seems like a reasonable source assuming all the figures match up. Seems surprising based on my own experience. I suppose that's why anecdotal accounts are next to worthless.

I don't think anectdotal evidence is bad. I don't recognise that from my time at school either. But don't think I'd be totally aware of these things at 11.

Certainly not a great state.

Hasselhoff

So PISA suggests things are getting worse, but exam results are getting better and better since 2005 when the SNP came in. Making exams easier and lowering pass marks does not mean people are getting smarter...

Space Mackerel

Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's underfunding our schools, larger class sizes and less support staff in classrooms to help children out.

Local councils have seen budgets fall. Education is a local government concern and pay for the staff in our schools. Less teachers, less support staff then it's no surprise standards fall with over stretched resources spread thinly.

I've had a couple of 16 year old do work experience with me. Both spent more time on their ****ing phones than paying attention to what's going on in front of them and learning, ask them something and they reply with grunts and shrugs of shoulders, turn you're back for 5 seconds and they are on Twatter or Pusbook. I can only imagine what it's like in schools and colleges now.

Hasselhoff

A Google Survey? You believe that now? If nationalists are good at one thing, it's sharing the hell out of stuff (usually mis-information) - a survey like this is guaranteed to be over subscribed to by yes voters. 

Odd that you didn't believe this survey of real businesses http://www.frenchduncan.co.uk/news/french-duncan-news/indyref2-survey-results/?dm_i=3QL,4TZKM,JCZ69S,I8ZWT,1

Equally scientific

Hasselhoff

Brexit dinner leak is sensational reading.

May is totally deluded.

Or EU are not as nice a bunch of people as people thought...

Leaks, backstabbing, etc. 

EU: "We won't guarantee the rights of EU citizens until the UK invokes Article 50"

<UK invokes article 50>

EU: "We won't be able to guarantee rights of EU citizens quickly"

EU: "Brexit can't be a success"

UK need to play hardball, these are going to be tough negotiations and we can't just roll over and give up. The opposition using the talks as ammo to berate the Tories is exactly why May is after a bigger majority. 

deesidejambo

Oh yes.   Diddy survey of course but it has SNP support at 39%.      From the  perspective of Indy I'm happy with that I must admit.   You either dont understand it or are a Tory Troll.

Meanwhile Curtice blogs again.   

deesidejambo

I've had a couple of 16 year old do work experience with me. Both spent more time on their ******* phones than paying attention to what's going on in front of them and learning, ask them something and they reply with grunts and shrugs of shoulders, turn you're back for 5 seconds and they are on Twatter or Pusbook. I can only imagine what it's like in schools and colleges now.

Maybe fixing gas boilers wasn't for them? 

SwindonJambo

I've had a couple of 16 year old do work experience with me. Both spent more time on their ******* phones than paying attention to what's going on in front of them and learning, ask them something and they reply with grunts and shrugs of shoulders, turn you're back for 5 seconds and they are on Twatter or Pusbook. I can only imagine what it's like in schools and colleges now.

It's not just 16 yo's Spacey. It's adults in their 20s, 30s and even 40s too. The lass who sits next to me is 34 and spends half her day on her phone reading and sharing inconsequential vacuous bollocks about the Kardashians and other over privileged non entities. This digression belongs to the seethe Thread. It's a whole society problem and nothing to do with Education or Politics.

Dawnrazor

Now Sturgeon is saying this election IS about independence!

Give it a couple of hours, she'll be saying it isn't again!!

Archived