World Snooker Championship 2017

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Never much value in this tournament as most bookies only offer e.w terms of 1/2 the odds for first 2 places, but I've gone for Anthony McGill at 80/1.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot

Aye

After being glued to the Masters all last weekend I am sure the bird will be delighted with the latest sport starting this sat

Maroon Sailor

After being glued to the Masters all last weekend I am sure the bird will be delighted with the latest sport starting this sat

This tournament lasts 16 days so plenty time for her to get addicted to it !

Lost interest in snooker since all the big guns went dowm hill.

Who are the best players around Now?

Couldn't tell you who half the players are these days.

I notice Ebdon, Bond, Williams etc are still around mind you.

Samuel Camazzola

Did Henry qualify via the seniors? I read last month he was on course to make it if he did well in a seniors event.

Maroon Sailor

Perrie Mans......................long overdue.

Was waiting for your perrenial Perrie quip !

Perry Kitchen has more chance

Maroon Sailor

Couldn't tell you who half the players are these days.

I notice Ebdon, Bond, Williams etc are still around mind you.

Unfortunately Ebdon has qualified for the Crucible. Won his final qualifying match 10-9 this afternoon. If the snooker hierarchy had any balls apart from snooker ones they would have a word in his ear about slow play and threaten to give the frame to his opponent if he takes longer than 3 minutes to take a routine shot.

Unfortunately Ebdon has qualified for the Crucible. Won his final qualifying match 10-9 this afternoon. If the snooker hierarchy had any balls apart from snooker ones they would have a word in his ear about slow play and threaten to give the frame to his opponent if he takes longer than 3 minutes to take a routine shot.

If they did that, they'd need to do it with Selby as well. And thats no happening.

Maroon Sailor

Stephen Maguire and Graeme Dott have just qualified for The Crucible

Maroon Sailor

Mark Williams won't play at The Crucible. Knocked out in the qualifiers by Stuart Carrington

Did Henry qualify via the seniors? I read last month he was on course to make it if he did well in a seniors event.

No, think it was just to get into the qualifiers anyhow.

Top players around now are O Sullivan and Selby. But no one really dominates like the olden days.

Higgins, Fu, Hawkins, Robertson, Ding, Trump, Murphy, Carter, Bingham etc all still good and any one of them could win it too.

No, think it was just to get into the qualifiers anyhow.

Top players around now are O Sullivan and Selby. But no one really dominates like the olden days.

Higgins, Fu, Hawkins, Robertson, Ding, Trump, Murphy, Carter, Bingham etc all still good and any one of them could win it too.

Bingham.Carter and Hawkings use to be utter shite. Ding I remember coming through, Fu had his day and I have never realised Donald Trump played Snooker. Robertson the Aussie boy? He always impressed me.

Higgins and Murphy where top players.

Maroon Sailor

FS

Rory McLeod has qualified. He makes Ebdon look like the road runner.

Fans will need to top up the caffeine prior to watching Snory Rory

Maroon Sailor

Last qualifying spot has come down to the last 4 balls between Fergal O'Brien (wonder where he's from) and Dave Gilbert

This match has been going an age but O'Brien has just taken it 10-9

Stephen Maguire and Graeme Dott have just qualified for The Crucible

Graeme Dott, now there is a slow and boring player.

Maroon Sailor

Mark Selby v Fergal O'Brien

Jeezo - this game starts Saturday and should be finished by Wednesday

Ireland's Fergal O'Brien won the longest frame in professional snooker history to take the final place at the World Championship in Sheffield.

He beat David Gilbert 10-9 with the deciding frame lasting two hours, three minutes and 41 seconds - 44 seconds longer than the men's marathon world record in athletics.

Maroon Sailor

Mark Selby (1) v Fergal O'Brien

Ryan Day (16) v Xiao Guodong

Neil Robertson (9) v Noppon Saengkham

Marco Fu (8) v Luca Brecel

Shaun Murphy (5) v Yan Bingtao

Ronnie O'Sullivan (12) v Gary Wilson

Liang Wenbo (13) v Stuart Carrington

Ding Junhui (4) v Zhou Yuelong

Stuart Bingham (3) v Peter Ebdon

Kyren Wilson (14) v David Grace

Mark Allen (11) v Jimmy Robertson

John Higgins (6) v Martin Gould

Barry Hawkins (7) v Tom Ford

Ali Carter (10) v Graeme Dott

Anthony McGill (15) v Stephen Maguire

Judd Trump (2) v Rory McLeod

The Internet

Robertson, Trump, Ding and Ronnie are the only players I look out for these days. Enjoy watching them but can take or leave the rest.

Is it possible to get a 162 break?

Player A has a nightmare and keeps on playing fouls, potting the white etc etc. He is losing 159-0 but refuses to concede.

Player B then commits a foul (so the score is 159-4).

Player A then sinks his "free colour as a red", the black, then all 15 reds and associated blacks, and all 6 colours. This 155 break leaves the scores tied at 159 each.

The black is respotted, and player A sinks it straight off, giving him a break of 162.

(I suspect that a respotted black does not consititute part of the break???)

Player A has a nightmare and keeps on playing foul stokes, potting the white etc etc. He is losing 159-0 but refuses to concede.

Player A then sinks his "free colour as a red", the black, then all 15 reds and associated blacks, and all 6 colours. This 155 break leaves the scores tied at 159 each.

The black is respotted, and player A sinks it straight off, giving him a break of 162.

Neither the foul or respotted black are part of the break (the latter is a break of 7 on it own). Once the player has cleared up, thats the end of the break.

The highest break possible is 155.

Neither the foul or respotted black are part of the break (the latter is a break of 7 on it own). Once the player has cleared up, thats the end of the break.

The highest break possible is 155.

Thought that.

Has anyone ever got a 155 in competitive snooker?

Thought that.

Has anyone ever got a 155 in competitive snooker?

Dont think in competition but its been done. Plenty breaks above 147 in competition though.

Player A has a nightmare and keeps on playing fouls, potting the white etc etc. He is losing 159-0 but refuses to concede.

Maximum is 155.

A player fouls and you get a free ball, if you are snookered. You pot a ball, counting as red for one point, then the black for seven more. You then do the standard 147 break.

I think there was an incident a few years go when someone got 151 or something. They won the prize for highest break, but not maximum break, which is a lot more, because they never got a 'maximum' break.

The Internet

Weird third frame in the McGill - Maguire match, loads of missed pots before Maguire comes up with a great clearance. Looked like he was going to concede half way through the frame :lol:

lauriesrank

Never much value in this tournament as most bookies only offer e.w terms of 1/2 the odds for first 2 places, but I've gone for Anthony McGill at 80/1.

Some comeback gonna be required it seems!  

Anyway, get yer cashsticks on FU!

Maroon Sailor

It was always a long shot, especially with Trump the likely opponent for his 2nd round match

Not much fun if you had tickets for tonight's session. Both matches look like they'll be done and dusted pretty quickly. Do they get a refund? :D

I used to be glued to the tele ever year when the crucible was on. Now I might catch a match or two. Hearn has ruined snooker.

Maroon Sailor

I used to be glued to the tele ever year when the crucible was on. Now I might catch a match or two. Hearn has ruined snooker.

It will be totally ruined once the Chinese start to dominate.

It will be a Chinese takeover in 5 to 6 years time along the lines of table tennis. Nobody will watch it.

Hearn wouldn't give a rat's arse by then

Fu getting humped although he's just won his first frame so only 5-1 down now. :D

Maroon Sailor

Fu getting humped although he's just won his first frame so only 5-1 down now. :D

Going 6-1 down by the looks of this

Fu has been rotten

Maroon Sailor

7-1 to Brecel

He's showing the kind of snooker his hype suggested 5 years ago as a 17 year old

The Internet

Ronnie's break to win the final frame was outstanding. Looked well pumped up too.

It will be totally ruined once the Chinese start to dominate.

It will be a Chinese takeover in 5 to 6 years time along the lines of table tennis. Nobody will watch it.

Hearn wouldn't give a rat's arse by then

Can't blame Hearn for moving snooker in this direction tbh.

The game was in serious decline due to falling popularity in Britian. Rather than fighting against a failing game in front of 64 million, why not sell it to a population of 1.3 billion? The biggest ever TV audience for a crucible final was when ding was in it.

Might be bad for Britian but quite the opposite for snooker and he was brought in to save the game which he has done.

The game was in serious decline due to falling popularity in Britian. Rather than fighting against a failing game in front of 64 million, why not sell it to a population of 1.3 billion? The biggest ever TV audience for a crucible final was when ding was in it.

Might be bad for Britian but quite the opposite for snooker and he was brought in to save the game which he has done.

For who?

The Embassy will be held in Beijing within a decade.

For who?

The Embassy will be held in Beijing within a decade.

If you read the post, something you rarely do, you would have noticed I said that whilst it isn't great for Brittish snooker it is great for the actual game.

Maroon Sailor

It won't be good for the game if it's dominated by the Chinese. Nobody outside of China will be interested in it.

If you read the post, something you rarely do, you would have noticed I said that whilst it isn't great for British snooker it is great for the actual game.

No it isn't, see sky.

Ding looking awesome again. 10/1 but he's in the hard half. 10/1 looks a bit tight considering who's in that half but they'll have to be good to beat Ding.

Maroon Sailor

Ding looking awesome again. 10/1 but he's in the hard half. 10/1 looks a bit tight considering who's in that half but they'll have to be good to beat Ding.

The draw does look to be lopsided strength wise.

Trump should sail through to the final from the bottom half

Maroon Sailor

back to 8-8

8-9 now

8-8 on the other table between Allen and J.Robertson

Archived