World Snooker Championship 2017

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Will be interesting to see if McLeod shakes the referee's hand at the end of this match.

Different ref for this session

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maroon Sailor

Trump gets back to 8-9

Rory should have buried him - 29 was a poor effort

Randy Marsh

why?

Refused to shake a female referee's hand in the past because of the ideology he follows (Islam).

Maroon Sailor

Trump tries to slam dunk a long red in - misses and scatters the table

Just can't help himself

Maroon Sailor

8 reds left but his break is only 26 so far

Making hard work of it

Maroon Sailor

Ominous now

Trump had one shot at the red and missed it and left it on

All over bar the shouting

Biggest shock for me since Davis got pumped by Knowles

Refused to shake a female referee's hand in the past because of the ideology he follows (Islam).

if i was his opponent i would not shake his hand due to his attitude 

Maroon Sailor

Trump has only himself to blame

4-0 and taking the pish - thought it was going to be a walk in the park and didn't give his opponent enough respect

Massive upset - Maguire can get to the final now - that half of the draw is wide open

Maroon Sailor

Was looking out for the handshake - didn't come

4-0 and taking the pish - thought it was going to be a walk in the park and didn't give his opponent enough respect

Massive upset - Maguire can get to the final now - that half of the draw is wide open

Hawkins or the match chucker.

Really depends on Higgins.

Stuart Bingham has forgotten how to play snooker.

4-0 down. First second round game.

He's done that often since he won the Worlds. Tournament earlier on in the season, 4-0 up, mid sesh interval needing only one more. Came out like he'd just picked up a cue and eventually limped over the line.

Trump played exhibition snooker to race in to a 4 zip lead.

After the interval Rory grinds it back to lead 5-4

Trump is rattled and the one thing against him winning this tournament is knowing when to play snazzy shots and when not to.

Trump thinks he's a better player than what he actually is.

Maroon Sailor

Trump thinks he's a better player than what he actually is.

He's a good player when he is in full flow - he can pot a ball - trouble is he doesn't understand that you can't play exhibition shots all the time.

He won't win the World Championship unless he knows how to win a scrappy frame.

Not too impressed by him failing to talk to the media either after being dumped out by a 46 year old journeyman pro despite blitzing him in the first 4 frames.

He got too cocky / way ahead of himself and appeared to be thinking McLeod was not worthy of playing on the same table as him.

Got his comeuppance and I've kind of gone off him. Having said that I'd still rather watch him play than the Rory McLeod's of this world.

Trump could well become the latest top class player that never reaches the level his ability should merit. The next Stephen Lee, Matthew Stevens or Ali Carter.

He's a good player when he is in full flow - he can pot a ball - trouble is he doesn't understand that you can't play exhibition shots all the time.

He won't win the World Championship unless he knows how to win a scrappy frame.

Not too impressed by him failing to talk to the media either after being dumped out by a 46 year old journeyman pro despite blitzing him in the first 4 frames.

He got too cocky / way ahead of himself and appeared to be thinking McLeod was not worthy of playing on the same table as him.

Got his comeuppance and I've kind of gone off him. Having said that I'd still rather watch him play than the Rory McLeod's of this world.

His attitude has barely changed since he joined the tour. Joe Johnson mentioned how Trump generally shows a complete lack of respect for opponents lower ranked/should be beating and how the 'snooker gods' give you a comeuppance.

When I went through to the Scottish Open, I was doing a bit of people watching whilst having a cuppa between sessions. The cafe area was next to the entrance/exit for the players and some folk were hanging about for photos and autographs. Everyone bar Trump obliged, with no issue whatsoever. Higgins, for example, said he couldnt on the way out, gave a time for his return and duly came back at that time and stood for snaps etc. Jimmy White had a lengthy line and went down the whole line. Trump? Exited and entered, totally disregarded all requests and pushed a young lad, no older than 8/9, out the way, leaving the boy in tears. Now I know he didn't have to hang around but a general 'I'm really sorry I'm behind schedule' or something would've sufficed but his disdain and general arrogant demeanour, had him looking a prize plum.

Maroon Sailor

Didn't realise Trump was like that off the table

Glad Rory did him now after reading that

rudi must stay

Interesting to hear Murphy's comments but not clever to wind up the best player of all time before a match, I expect him to be soundly beaten

Interesting to hear Murphy's comments but not clever to wind up the best player of all time before a match, I expect him to be soundly beaten

Hendry out of retirement?

rudi must stay

Hendry out of retirement?

Haha. Ronnie is a far better player than Hendry, on form he can pot a ball anywhere on the table. And he can play left handed

Haha. Ronnie is a far better player than Hendry, on form he can pot a ball anywhere on the table. And he can play left handed

:cornette:

Didnt see Hendry in his pomp and his ball potting ability.

And Ronnie isnt the only player who can play opposite handed. See the aforementioned Judd Trump.

rudi must stay

:cornette:

Didnt see Hendry in his pomp and his ball potting ability.

And Ronnie isnt the only player who can play opposite handed. See the aforementioned Judd Trump.

Didn't know that, I guess O'Sullivan has started a trend. O'Sullivan's head to head record with Hendry is very good, much as I liked Hendry O'Sullivan is a different level

I was a huge Hendry fan throughout his career. His strengths, apart from obviously being the best player ever to have played, were his fearsome aura, his concentration, fierce will to win and his incredible break building. But Ronnie is a pure and simple genius. A talent way, way ahead of Hendry. It's not fair to compare like for like but Ronnie is the better player for me.

Randy Marsh

Agree about Hendry. I think both at their prime O'Sullivan would edge it as much as it pains me to say it.

I was a huge Hendry fan throughout his career. His strengths, apart from obviously being the best player ever to have played, were his fearsome aura, his concentration, fierce will to win and his incredible break building. But Ronnie is a pure and simple genius. A talent way, way ahead of Hendry. It's not fair to compare like for like but Ronnie is the better player for me.

Hendry was the all round package. He didn't flake mentally the way O'Sullivan has. Ronnie the better 'talent', sure. The better 'player', Hendry.

O'Sullivan is the best player to ever pick up a cue, think most of the ex pro's acknowledge that fact. His snooker brain is so fast, however if he had Hendry's general commitment he would have easily broke Hendry's world title's record a long time ago and probably made a thousand century breaks by now too. He may well still do both of those obviously, but Ronnie may well be remembered as a player that should have won and achieved even more.

Hendry was a special player but not in the same league as O'Sullivan assuming when both were at the top of their game. 

Maroon Sailor

Hendry's last world title came when he was only 30. He took advantage of a poor strength in depth 90's and a certain jellyfish in his first 4 world championship finals plus Nigel Bond in another.

I would rank O'Sullivan the better player without a doubt, who is still doing the business in to his 40's

Agree about Hendry. I think both at their prime O'Sullivan would edge it as much as it pains me to say it.

I'm a big fan of O'Sullivan.

One thing to consider if playing same era as Stephen Hendry head to head is Stephen's record against Jimmy White. Stephen broke White mentally - 4 finals in 5 years -

and while I accept in theory O'Sullivam might be backed you can't say unless the games were played.

Didn't Hendry make Ronnie walk out of a match due to severely beating him in one world championship?

Ding 3-1 first half session in Chinese old firm match. 2 centuries by Ding already.

Bingham 5 Wilson 7. Hard going!!

Didn't Hendry make Ronnie walk out of a match due to severely beating him in one world championship?

Ronnie gave Hendry a breeks doon pasting in a semi final. 17-3 or 17-4.

Mind when Hendry put away a 147 in the UK Championship final ( final frame decider), after being 2 down with 3 to play, and his opponent being O'Sullivan?

Mind when Hendry put away a 147 in the UK Championship final ( final frame decider), after being 2 down with 3 to play, and his opponent being O'Sullivan?

Classic. That kind of occasion was what marked Hendry out.

Classic. That kind of occasion was what marked Hendry out.

Which brings me back to my earlier point. O'Sullivan may be the better 'talent' but to be the better 'player', you need that all round game and serious mental toughness. Hendry had that more than anyone else, something Ronnie often says without prompt. I dont think there is anyone else that would have had the bottle to knock in a maximum, in that type of situation.

Captain America

"He's the greatest player ever to have played this game and the greatest ambassador. I believe this sport should roll the red carpet out for him and invite him into more things like they do for Jack Nicklaus at the Masters. 

O'Sullivan comments on Hendry in an interview Jan 2017.

http://www.livesnooker.com/category/snooker-interviews/osullivan-calls-for-hendry-return-20170119-0004/

Which brings me back to my earlier point. O'Sullivan may be the better 'talent' but to be the better 'player', you need that all round game and serious mental toughness. Hendry had that more than anyone else, something Ronnie often says without prompt. I dont think there is anyone else that would have had the bottle to knock in a maximum, in that type of situation.

It's always an interesting debate. Hendry had a knack of winning from behind. More so than Ronnie. Both were good front runners. But I'm placing more emphasis on the ability side of things. The clincher on that score is Ronnie's virtually seamless ability to play left handed. It's an astounding talent.

rudi must stay

It's always an interesting debate. Hendry had a knack of winning from behind. More so than Ronnie. Both were good front runners. But I'm placing more emphasis on the ability side of things. The clincher on that score is Ronnie's virtually seamless ability to play left handed. It's an astounding talent.

I find his safety play more astounding to be honest. He's even the best at that, even though his game is so attacking minded

Ronnie wiping the floor with Murphys

Murphy made a decent comeback but still 4 behind 6-10

Finishes tomorrow morning

Archived