Wake up Budge...! ( merged threads )

Section Q

Cancel the stand and build a wee shed instead coz the way things are going we will never fill it.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All roads lead to Gorgie

Budge would be lost without craig

I don't get it that because you come from a non football background you need a DoF. Wallace Mercer didn't need one. Ann Budge is three years in now and must know the ins and outs by now.

Not at all. There is a lot of experienced people around who could do Craig Levein's job.  Assuming we would want to have a DOF.

People like Jim Jeffries ,John Robertson and Peter Houston have loads of experience and know what Hearts are about.

I would trust any one of these to kick start the football side of the club while Mrs Budge carries on the excellent business work she does.

We would still need an enthusiastic younger man as team manager though.

Huge test for Budge this. She's made a big play on not understanding football. Fair enough, but her business acumen is almost on the line now. Let's be having you, as one other football granny once said.........

Even Mrs B's biggest supporters would surely find it hard to argue with these comments, they pretty much mirror how i've been feeling after most games since the turn of last year. No spirit or desire on the pitch & ridiculed as as a fan if you feel passionate enough to complain about it from the terraces. I've been going to games since the sixties & never known such apathy amongst the fans even during the relegation seasons. Time to Act "Queen Anne".

Winston Ingram

Did a great job at Hamilton and did very well at Norwich for a while. He's as good a suggestion as I've heard, although someone also suggested Archibald at Partick, which isn't a bad shout either.

Great job? He beat Hibs in a penalty shoot out to get them promoted .. left early in season with his team going well, major failure at Norwich this season given budget in that division. He was very, very lucky to be at Norwich in first place. You could make a case for Billy Reid being "greater" than Alex Neil.

If we are going to change, Peter Houston would be a far more valid call than Alex Neil. Pinning hopes on a Hamilton player manager who luckily blagged a job in England and was sacked for under performance isn't really the answer. 

BangkokHearts

What about the Irish lad at ICT? Has plenty of passion and talks a good game.

Said it before, do away with DOF position and make him redundant if there's nothing in his contract about redundancy then it would cost peanuts

He's a member of the Board.

We can't just sack him. He needs to step down, or be voted out an an EGM, or next AGM.

Given FoH owns enough shares to veto such a move (and hold the vote rather than the FoH members - this issue aside, correctly in my opinion), and both Budge and Levein are both directors or the club, and FoH, I am not convinced this would happen.

It is why I think a member of stafff should not also be director of the club. I also think it is preferable that both Boards are independent of each other, which was the original intention.

DoF is just a job title. He doesn't actually need to be a full Board member.

ford donald

Levein is scheming, he is up to something, surrounding himself with yes men and making himself virtually impossible to sack.

Something rotten is going on.

:spoton:

By all means have a director of football which deals with everthing except the first team.

We need a manager to manage our Hearts team.

By not acting or saying anything Budge is doing her own reputation damage. She'll hardly be seen as someone who can take Scottish football forward if she can't act in her own club's best interest. I feel for the fans who did the treck up to Perth. Come on Ann...!

I suspect she will be looking for a face saving solution but must be furious in private.

She has money and reputation at stake. It's personal for her.

She would not have accepted failure from employees in her previous business career. Why start now?

Cathro may indeed be a useful employee in some capacity and possibly a 'company restructure' could be on the cards. Cathro as head of player development with a 'current team' manager brought in. Levein would remain to oversee both. Or some such thing.

Something does need to change though and she knows it.

The Real Maroonblood

Levein is scheming, he is up to something, surrounding himself with yes men and making himself virtually impossible to sack.

Something rotten is going on.

Sniff sniff.

Must try harder.

Ann Budge will know better than any of us the implications of the poor performances on the pitch. It is ridiculous to suggest that she doesn't understand or won't take action. Expect changes at the end of the season.

Clerry Jambo

Ann Budge will know better than any of us the implications of the poor performances on the pitch. It is ridiculous to suggest that she doesn't understand or won't take action. Expect changes at the end of the season.

I agree mate, empty seats for the rest of the season should force Budge into some sort of action or statement

Jambof3tornado

Anyone who thinks Ann Budge is happy with how things are going needs to watch her at a match.

Watched her at thistle, she's feeling it too folks.

Not sure what we should do but I have no faith that Cathro will get the summer recruitment right so this ineptitude coukd easily carry on into next season if allowed.

Jambof3tornado

I agree mate, empty seats for the rest of the season should force Budge into some sort of action or statement

Why, they already have the ticket money!

I still cannot believe there are still fans out there who still support Cathro.

from where i am sitting, i dont see many.

Nookie Bear

By all means have a director of football which deals with everthing except the first team.

We need a manager to manage our Hearts team.

This.

Let the Head Coach run the first team. By all means they should be communicating during the week but match day is the Head Coach's domain.

I'm at the point where Levein gets one more chance to appoint the right man. He keeps talking about our coaches learning, well he needs to do the same.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Because some people are loyal to a fault. Quite a lot of people would like to see him succeed.

I think he's got a mountain to climb. But football can change very quickly.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

You know what? I'm wondering if this is a very accurate post. Does Budge really know what to do on the footballing side or have any confidence to get it right? Where would the advice come from?

Would certainly explain why Levein seems untouchable

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You know what? I'm wondering if this is a very accurate post. Does Budge really know what to do on the footballing side or have any confidence to get it right? Where would the advice come from?

Would certainly explain why Levein seems untouchable

Let's not forget how important it was 3 years ago.

But it is a flaw in the model

Lot of comments here are reckless and out of order.

Budge/Levein have done a pretty good job since coming in and have laid down a blueprint. The coaching side of things was to be continuous - meaning that if one coach left, then another would be able to slot straight in. The blueprint also meant that the Head Coach would be someone with potential rather rather a finished article, Robbie Neilson was such an appointment, so for that matter was Ian Cathro. Neilson worked, Cathro (so far) hasn't.

The fact that Cathro now looks to be a mistake should not be held against Budge/Levein. No business, football or otherwise, do not make mistakes. 

The current problems have occurred since Cathro's appointment and in my opinion, the fault lies fairly and squarely at his feet. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Lot of comments here are reckless and out of order.

Budge/Levein have done a pretty good job since coming in and have laid down a blueprint. The coaching side of things was to be continuous - meaning that if one coach left, then another would be able to slot straight in. The blueprint also meant that the Head Coach would be someone with potential rather rather a finished article, Robbie Neilson was such an appointment, so for that matter was Ian Cathro. Neilson worked, Cathro (so far) hasn't.

The fact that Cathro now looks to be a mistake should not be held against Budge/Levein. No business, football or otherwise, do not make mistakes.

The current problems have occurred since Cathro's appointment and in my opinion, the fault lies fairly and squarely at his feet.

What about two years of wank recruitment?

Allowayjambo1874

I'm not sure we will hear publically from AB until the season is over. Get the feeling Cathro will get to bring in his own players over summer and be given until October/November. Not itk just reckon that this is how it's going to pan out.

Clerry Jambo

Why, they already have the ticket money!

Yes, she has this seasons money but will certainly lose out on walk ups

More importantly going by the reaction on here as an example, season tickets will be well down, might be even less than the vermin next year!!

StirlingJambo

Supposedly majority of the 9 new signings were through John Colquhoun's agency. Think Levein has seen the ??? signs from that and has made a wee bit through that. Not helped that all the signings have been duds which makes him look like a right tit.

More importantly going by the reaction on here as an example, season tickets will be well down, might be even less than the vermin next year!!

almost certainly will be lower than hibs STs imo.

they have the feel good factor massively at the minute. 

Not sure why people think he is the answer either.

Im not saying he's the answer but if you build a case for him he comes with a much more convincing background.

Firstly, comes across as a very competitive man. He's been a player, his nature and style was combative.

Hamilton looked a decent side under him, as good as their resources would allow, but they were competitive and had one or two handy players. They at least looked a team driven by their manager and responded in turn.

Englands a tough gig. A lot of competition. But now he's gained a lot of experience down South despite being sacked. Experience in a tougher league but the grounding of being a manager has long been established.

It's hard to think what's going to happen behind the scenes at Hearts now and people always ask who you'd get in to replace the current lot? I don't think he'd be the worst appointment.

There's no new Jim Jefferies out there at the moment but for an aspiring manager with a decent grounding we could do worse than Neill.

He's a member of the Board.

We can't just sack him. He needs to step down, or be voted out an an EGM, or next AGM.

Given FoH owns enough shares to veto such a move (and hold the vote rather than the FoH members - this issue aside, correctly in my opinion), and both Budge and Levein are both directors or the club, and FoH, I am not convinced this would happen.

It is why I think a member of stafff should not also be director of the club. I also think it is preferable that both Boards are independent of each other, which was the original intention.

DoF is just a job title. He doesn't actually need to be a full Board member.

It's a manufactured position by CL and why he can have the luxury of allowing

his self-will to run riot at Hearts.

The embarrassment to HMFC is that AB/FOH allowed CL this amount of autonomy.

In 99.9% of cases all other club DOF's/TD's will be accountable to a board.

Mammoth mistake by HMFC. CL has shown absolutely nothing in his managerial

career to date to merit such lofty status - there is zero evidence on which to base

this poor decision. The word I am hearing is AB won't admit she's made a mistake -

sounds familiar right through the club - don't have to admit/accept you've made

an error then the impact of said mistake isn't going to need amended.

Trouble is - there will be a financial impact going forward.

AB initially said the IC appointment was a "calculated risk" (verbatim) - so what

is the calculation - easy to tell us? Or might you not really have the football

industry experience to know the effect of the risk? How much "RISK" are we

going to permit CL? During the January window Hearts appeared to panic

buy after drawing Hibs in the cup - that's where we are at under CL (IC not

in that equation). CL - our DOF - panicked and signed garbage to boot - as

said CL doesn't possess the skillset or mindset for this SELF-CREATED

locked-in role HMFC has freely given him.

CL gave a rookie coach an immediate squad change of mass poor standard

and expected an immediate response in a cup-tie in mid-Feb.

Consequently, at the same time HMFC scouts were offered 2 higher-standard

players to season-end costing more (quality over quantity) that would have

enhanced squad and perhaps reached a semi. In cups both domestic &

european HMFC are embarrassed by the lack of football department knowledge

to compete let alone the shambolic league performances in recent months.

5 -year plan? Doesn't know what he's doing that very day and nor does anyone

else at the club - absolute disgrace displayed to a support that's given it's all to

this club.

Jambof3tornado

Kickback doesnt represent reality.

It's a manufactured position by CL and why he can have the luxury of allowing

his self-will to run riot at Hearts.

The embarrassment to HMFC is that AB/FOH allowed CL this amount of autonomy.

In 99.9% of cases all other club DOF's/TD's will be accountable to a board.

Mammoth mistake by HMFC. CL has shown absolutely nothing in his managerial

career to date to merit such lofty status - there is zero evidence on which to base

this poor decision. The word I am hearing is AB won't admit she's made a mistake -

sounds familiar right through the club - don't have to admit/accept you've made

an error then the impact of said mistake isn't going to need amended.

Trouble is - there will be a financial impact going forward.

AB initially said the IC appointment was a "calculated risk" (verbatim) - so what

is the calculation - easy to tell us? Or might you not really have the football

industry experience to know the effect of the risk? How much "RISK" are we

going to permit CL? During the January window Hearts appeared to panic

buy after drawing Hibs in the cup - that's where we are at under CL (IC not

in that equation). CL - our DOF - panicked and signed garbage to boot - as

said CL doesn't possess the skillset or mindset for this SELF-CREATED

locked-in role HMFC has freely given him.

CL gave a rookie coach an immediate squad change of mass poor standard

and expected an immediate response in a cup-tie in mid-Feb.

Consequently, at the same time HMFC scouts were offered 2 higher-standard

players to season-end costing more (quality over quantity) that would have

enhanced squad and perhaps reached a semi. In cups both domestic &

european HMFC are embarrassed by the lack of football department knowledge

to compete let alone the shambolic league performances in recent months.

5 -year plan? Doesn't know what he's doing that very day and nor does anyone

else at the club - absolute disgrace displayed to a support that's given it's all to

this club.

Re sacking a board member:-

Shareholder approval is required to dismiss a director. (The directors themselves can remove a director from the position of managing director or chairperson - but he or she will still be a director.) The board would therefore need to call a general meeting (see 15). If the director is also an employee of the company, the directors will need to ensure that the dismissal respects their employment rights - in particular their notice period under their contract or as specified by law, and their right not to be unfairly dismissed ? or they may be entitled to claim compensation for breach of those rights.

In practice, it is more common for directors to be encouraged to resign rather than actively forced out of office. In such circumstances a compromise agreement will often be drawn up, to cover future claims and possibly the departing director's involvement in competing businesses.

gowestjambo

If there is money to be paid to pay off this bunch of imposters, I for one would happily double my FoH pledge.

Ann Budge is the best thing that's ever happened in the Hearts boardroom, however, this is her first real footballing test and I have every confidence she'll handle it as well as she does everything else. One thing I'm sure of though, is she certainly wont do any knee-jerking, meltdown type decision.

i think she needs to take it back to basics.

get rid of levein. 

put cathro/macphee on the coaching staff. 

have candidates apply for the role of manager.

to much meddling and experimenting by levein. 

back to basics, please Ann.

Howdy Doody Jambo

If there is money to be paid to pay off this bunch of imposters, I for one would happily double my FoH pledge.

Don't have to pay them off just put them on leave or to the youth team and take on another wage for a new head coach/ manager

Something has to give, this needs addressed pronto, this is bad for business and our bank account

Cathro may indeed be a useful employee in some capacity and possibly a 'company restructure' could be on the cards. Cathro as head of player development with a 'current team' manager brought in. Levein would remain to oversee both. Or some such thing.

And there is the main problem.

Supposedly majority of the 9 new signings were through John Colquhoun's agency. Think Levein has seen the ??? signs from that and has made a wee bit through that. Not helped that all the signings have been duds which makes him look like a right tit.

Yes this was alluded to on another thread about agents . So JC is Levein and Cathros agent and is lining pockets on the back of these deals . All seems just to close to home

What about two years of wank recruitment?

Don't see how you can say that.

Neilson left in December - we were 2nd top of the league - we finished 3rd the season before.

The demise started with Cathro's appointment.

Yes this was alluded to on another thread about agents . So JC is Levein and Cathros agent and is lining pockets on the back of these deals . All seems just to close to home

Just far too cosy for my liking!

Don't see how you can say that.

Neilson left in December - we were 2nd top of the league - we finished 3rd the season before.

The demise started with Cathro's appointment.

dont kid yourself, 

the recruitment has been terrible and it has caught up with us now. 

heartsfc_fan

The silence is deafening today. Nothing from Budge or Levein.

Archived