Walker: Heads drop too easily

Clerry Jambo

BobbyJenkins

Cathro is not the problem here, as walker mentions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but that won't suit the narrative for many on here.

Not what our highly vocal small minority want to hear, is it?

Jambof3tornado

7 of 32 games won on the road over 17 months.

Honking record.

Hopefully walker realises he himself can be an inspiration in games when he applies himself. He's not done that since the win over rangers!

Glad he thinks Cathro will come good although wouldnt expect him to say anything else.

Pretty accurate in what he says regarding change of head coach and squad overhaul mid season.

Not what our highly vocal small minority want to hear, is it?

I think there are many problems at the club at the moment, but at the end of the day it's the manager/head coach who is responsible for results. He is certainly part of a big problem.

Oh look another article where Jamie Walker tells us what we already know, that this team has no bottle....including himself.

I'd like him to start performing in big games on a regular basis and not just against the likes of Hamilton rather than providing comforting soundbites.

This may seem harsh but im sick of this squad telling us what they arent doing....we know so ****ing change it.

He's the manager who picks the players. He's the manager who brought in the players.(some)

It's his job to work at team mentality and improve it. Of course the players take responsibility too but you can argue that you can't give a player guts or courage,(maybe some you can cajole) so did we do enough groundwork before signing players?

In time , as results don't get better it can only fall back on the manager. Then afterwards a new manager will assess the squad and cut accordingly based on his own view or judgement as to who's not good enough and who is.

It's the managers job to try and rectify problems.

The players have to take responsibility for their individual mentality.

Regardless of who the manager is if you're playing for the shirt like you should be if you lose a goal you should be working your bollocks off to recover.

Jamie is part of the problem.He has the ability to influence a game no doubt but recently and in particular away from home he struggles to impact a game the way he should.He probably admits that in the article in fairness.would like to see him being more vocal in demanding the ball.being a lot more present shall we say.As an aside,I,ve noticed Cathro doesn't shake hands with players leaving the field when substituted.Or am i wrong?.I know he has blanked players on a few occasions and wonder if he is avoiding the players who he doesn't think have impressed him.

If Walker had put his laces through the ball instead of fannying about he might have scored on Sunday. If the heads go down after going behind the manager should be kicking arses as this is happening far to often.

The Treasurer

Walker is one of the first to go down.

I would disagree.

However he does seem to lose heart when those around him have clearly thrown in the towel.

Walker has to realise that it is players like him that need to lead by example. Not easy when others don't give a shit, but he has the ability to turn games, with or without the help of so-called "teammates"

Confirming what was already known, heads drop after a goal conceded. A problem since the start of the season, but one that has gotten worse after Robbie left. Its difficult to put any idea forward that Cathro has improved the psychology of the team or even improved them with strategy and tactics.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Problem is they know this and don't rectify it. Stop gap signings rarely work in bulk.

There is no feeling of target, belonging or ability to relate to a situation.

Taking over somebody else's work without ever knowing that person or workplace.

Temporary workers rarely work with the dedication or unity of staff members, in isolation they can and do add quality and experience.

We may as well forget this season and hope a new unit can be bonded June

Finlay James

He's bang on here, a few more with the attitude of Jamie and we will do just fine.

So Cathro has "great ideas". Well here's a few more.

Try being a real manager with the balls to drop the lazy b@stards not pulling their weight.

Try to remember there's no point having fancy theoretical ideas of how to win football matches if the players don't have the skill or motivation to carry it out.

Try to remember reputation means sweet FA if a player is using us as meal ticket. These two Greek guys must be laughing all the way back to the taverna. When you think back to how great Takis was you realise we have gone from signing Fyssas to signing complete and utter faeces.

Finally if you can't do the job, have the decency to acknowledge you have failed and move on with some remaining dignity and credibility. Thanks.

Deluded.

Jamie is spot on. Not only do the heads go down when we go behind, but they go down when we can't get in front too.

He was part of a side who had to fight for their survival, and while they didn't pull it off, they gave it a good ****ing go.

For what this club has gone through in the last few years, I can't believe how soft we've become.

OK, fair enough, big changes this season from management to players derailing the progress.

It cannot carry onto next season, and the players have to appreciate that they need to find another gear or they'll not have many fans backing them.

So Cathro has "great ideas". Well here's a few more.

Try being a real manager with the balls to drop the lazy b@stards not pulling their weight.

Try to remember there's no point having fancy theoretical ideas of how to win football matches if the players don't have the skill or motivation to carry it out.

Try to remember reputation means sweet FA if a player is using us as meal ticket. These two Greek guys must be laughing all the way back to the taverna. When you think back to how great Takis was you realise we have gone from signing Fyssas to signing complete and utter faeces.

Finally if you can't do the job, have the decency to acknowledge you have failed and move on with some remaining dignity and credibility. Thanks.

I completely agree we should drop players who are not interested in playing for the jersey.

I don't get to see Hearts as often as I'd like but when I do visit it's quite a long way and isn't cheap. There's nothing I hate more than seeing players who aren't bothered.

Question is.. who do we bring in from the bench/squad? We're not blessed with strength and depth and I'm not sure I agree with "play all of the kids." We'll just get battered against physical teams like St Johnstone and that's not fair on them.

Quite a few wanted players like Kitchen dropped for his lack of leadership but now Tziolis isn't proving quite the coup Kitchen is now wanted back in. Oshaniwa should be long gone and other than Currie, there isn't a replacement for Johnsen.

A_A wehatethehibs

Funny, remember when we were 3-1 down at ICT and Hamilton but dug deep to salvage 3-3 draws? Or 2-1 down to at Johnstone and Muirhead won a last minute corner to give us a chance to equalise? I didn't see heads dropping back then.

Funny, remember when we were 3-1 down at ICT and Hamilton but dug deep to salvage 3-3 draws? Or 2-1 down to at Johnstone and Muirhead won a last minute corner to give us a chance to equalise? I didn't see heads dropping back then.

Yup, seemingly it is NOT the new manager. We often went a goal down in Neilson's SPL Hearts team and often came back.

I completely agree we should drop players who are not interested in playing for the jersey.

I don't get to see Hearts as often as I'd like but when I do visit it's quite a long way and isn't cheap. There's nothing I hate more than seeing players who aren't bothered.

Question is.. who do we bring in from the bench/squad? We're not blessed with strength and depth and I'm not sure I agree with "play all of the kids." We'll just get battered against physical teams like St Johnstone and that's not fair on them.

Quite a few wanted players like Kitchen dropped for his lack of leadership but now Tziolis isn't proving quite the coup Kitchen is now wanted back in. Oshaniwa should be long gone and other than Currie, there isn't a replacement for Johnsen.

I agree we don't have a lot of choice in certain positions. However Currie did deserve a longer run after trying hard against Hibs. Beith,Prince and Smith have been available.

We can't throw all the young guys in at once but why persevere with players who think they are undroppable and play accordingly.

A better balance of accountability needs to be found and that's up to Cathro.

To say all that and then finish by saying that McDermid Park is a tough place to go...Sounds like getting the excuses in first. I don't believe footballers and managers should ever say publicly that somewhere is a tough place to visit - It just smacks of defeatism...By all means plan for and expect a tough game, but don't go into a game talking like you are looking forward to getting on the bus home.

And folk say Levein is the problem for interfering

When did his teams not fight to get back into games?

No manager on the modern era has as many late important goals.

Have said this for long enough.

The players are more culpable than the manager is - we're looking at a problem which was present even under the closing months of Robbies spell in charge.

The playing squad are hanging Cathro out to dry, much the same way the previous squad hung Robbie out to dry. That to me points to a significant problem within the culture at the club and that's something which we should be pointing fingers toward the likes of Levein for.

Players are given contracts at this club with no real understanding of the expectation and the false pretences of an easy ride and guaranteed path to 'bigger better things'.

Unfortunately for Cathro however, regardless of this - its always the manager who'll bear the brunt of things.

Not read the link or any of the apology articles by various players over the past two months. Do your talking on the park you shower of lily livered *******s.

The Treasurer

Yup, seemingly it is NOT the new manager. We often went a goal down in Neilson's SPL Hearts team and often came back.

In fairness it wasn't the same team/squad that fought back in games such as ICT, Hamilton etc.

Jamie has to be the one the rallies the troops when the heads go down. But, for me, he is guilty of it more than most in the squad. He grew up a Jambo, has family are all die-hards, so why does he not show the fight and passion most of us on this board would love to be in a position to do?

So now the players, who deal with cathro on a day to day basis, are deluded?

No I clearly meant that anyone who thinks the manager isn't the problem or part of the problem, is deluded.

Funny how application and desire are so obviously missing yet young Currie who has this in bucket loads hasnt featured of late...!!

A_A wehatethehibs

In fairness it wasn't the same team/squad that fought back in games such as ICT, Hamilton etc.

Yes but people who think the shite "head dropping" we have seen since cathros first game in charge at Ibrox (where we had no game plan), was happening prior to Cathros arrival are simply wrong. He ripped up a competitive team and replaced it with an uncompetitive team and it goes all the way back to before the transfer window. The end result will be a 6th place finish.

Lincon Premier

Walker is talking rubbish if the thinks the manager is not to blame. These players are not 15 yo kids. Many are international standard and should not get down losing a single goal. It's the managers job to get them up for games, and Cathro had two whole weeks game free to work with them, and still they couldn't play for more than 30 minutes.Seasoned professionals and they collapse losing ONE goal?

The management team including Levein and Macphee should have had them buzzing. 

Bowmans_Boot

Yes but people who think the shite "head dropping" we have seen since cathros first game in charge at Ibrox (where we had no game plan), was happening prior to Cathros arrival are simply wrong. He ripped up a competitive team and replaced it with an uncompetitive team and it goes all the way back to before the transfer window. The end result will be a 6th place finish.

Callum Paterson was instrumental in the "heads not dropping" games. Absolutely crucial.

This team has noone like that.

Lincon Premier

So now the players, who deal with cathro on a day to day basis, are deluded?

Do you honestly believe ANY player will stand up and say to the media the manager is crap? It would be like signing your own death warrant. You are deluded if you think Walker is willing to sacrifice his career in this manner.

Jamie has to be the one the rallies the troops when the heads go down. But, for me, he is guilty of it more than most in the squad. He grew up a Jambo, has family are all die-hards, so why does he not show the fight and passion most of us on this board would love to be in a position to do?

Id agree Jamie let's his head go down too but even if he didn't and tried to drive the team on, it's still a very difficult situation when there's that many around you who fail to respond.

Even the most driven, biggest winner in the team we have would be swallowed up by the softness of the team. Almost fighting a losing battle. In fact, it's a bit like that with Goncalves who does fight for the team.

The biggest winner can still only give so much, he needs help too.

Do you honestly believe ANY player will stand up and say to the media the manager is crap? It would be like signing your own death warrant. You are deluded if you think Walker is willing to sacrifice his career in this manner.

i dont think they would stick up for him and continuously back his methods and ideas if they didnt have faith in him. 

if he was my manager and i didnt have faith in him, id just keep my mouth shut. 

Lincon Premier

And folk say Levein is the problem for interfering

When did his teams not fight to get back into games?

No manager on the modern era has as many late important goals.

I have tried to get this point over before and many don't read the post properly, so please do.

IF Levein is NOT interfering and is happy to sit and watch this crap, then why is he NOT interfering?

On the other hand:

IF Levein IS interfering, would that not make the current difficulties all the more explainable?

Either way Levein is the problem, Because he either shouldn't interfere, or he should and isn't.  ( depending on which scenario you want to follow,)

Don't know how you get that from the article, particularly when Walker has basically came out and said they signed too many players in January

A_A wehatethehibs

Callum Paterson was instrumental in the "heads not dropping" games. Absolutely crucial.

This team has noone like that.

Remember partick at home in ICs first home game? Calum was playing then. And he was culpable for the Partick goal. We were absolutely played off the park heads well and truly dropped. In hindsight we can see that game was a sign of things to come, we were so vulnerable.

I simply do not buy into this "Paterson was the centre of the universe" shite. The exact same pish was happening in the 4 or 5 games where cathro had Paterson available for selection.

I found out a piece of information over the weekend which I found interesting. It just gives an indication of how things are different under Cathro.

This came straight from someone who works with the team on match day and is regularly part of the first team set up. Their opinion was that under Robbie there was strict discipline and he had players under total control. Cathro is far more relaxed and not as dominant. This person believed the players were taking advantage of this. This person also believed that Cathro would not last long.

Take from it what you will but I thought it was worth sharing.

BobbyJenkins

Who is to blame then

Not about blame for me.  The dip in form is because of making massive changes to the team and management half way through a season and injury to one of our main players, if not two including Souttar, but realising this is far from a crisis and is fixable in the summer. Some perspective is obviously lacking in football. Hughes has been a massive miss at the back too. Those are the issues.

I found out a piece of information over the weekend which I found interesting. It just gives an indication of how things are different under Cathro.

This came straight from someone who works with the team on match day and is regularly part of the first team set up. Their opinion was that under Robbie there was strict discipline and he had players under total control. Cathro is far more relaxed and not as dominant. This person believed the players were taking advantage of this. This person also believed that Cathro would not last long.

Take from it what you will but I thought it was worth sharing.

interesting

A_A wehatethehibs

Not about blame for me. The dip in form is because of making massive changes to the team and management half way through a season and injury to one of our main players, if not two including Souttar, but realising this is far from a crisis and is fixable in the summer. Some perspective is obviously lacking in football. Hughes has been a massive miss at the back too. Those are the issues.

In other words "lets look at the excuses".

Your post translates roughly to "Hearts total and complete collapse under Ian Cathro IS acceptable due to excuses a, b and c"

This isn't a dip in form this is a 3 month slide from 2nd to 5th in the league and a pathetic effort in the cup. How is 4 wins from 19 games a dip in form. That's half a season. We have completely capitulated on all fronts.

The question is not whether this is fixable in the summer. Of course it is fixable, if the right man for the job is in charge.

Archived