WHAT DID THEY HAVE ?

hibsarepants

August Landmesser

Okay, how long do you think it will take for Cathro to get to grips with in-game management and motivating players (two parts of the management process that are very new to him)? How long before he learns the SPL on our budget is not a place for neat, tidy possession football? Another season? Two years? Some managers are always learning. - I think he's already seen that the Premiership is not a place for tippy-tappy stuff, but I don't think that's the ultimate aim - skilful, hard and fast I think is the aim. And yes, some managers ARE always learning. If it takes two years to build a team capable of pushing hard for 1st or comfortably taking 2nd, and grabbing a couple of cups and a Europa group stage or two, then I'm happy to wait a couple of years whilst we make progress. What else would we be doing? Ripping up the team & management every few months because we lost a cup tie?

Have you seen anything so far that suggests we are trying to develop a style of football that gives us hope? - Yes, the way we zipped the ball about up at Dens, in the first halves v Thistle & County at Tynie, against Rangers in the 4-1, against Killie and Hamilton in the 4-0s, against Motherwell in the 3-0, and for about 3 minutes up at Pittodrie on Saturday. There's a footballing philosophy in there, it needs a settled team of consistent, strong players who are committed to the club. We're at very early days, but there are enough signs that given a proper pre-season and a more considered transfer window, Cathro & MacPhee & Levein can build a strong, exciting, footballing team.

My point is that we are not an amateur club. We have the reputation and resources to recruit a decent head coach who may not be perfect or a dead cert to succeed (no manager is ever a dead cert) but at least we know they have the experience to motivate players, organise them and make effective changes during a game. I think we have recruited a decent head coach. Billy Brown has experience in motivating players, organising them and making effective changes (not a positive effect, true, but they are effective...). Should we go for him?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nookie Bear

Okay, how long do you think it will take for Cathro to get to grips with in-game management and motivating players (two parts of the management process that are very new to him)? How long before he learns the SPL on our budget is not a place for neat, tidy possession football? Another season? Two years? Some managers are always learning. - I think he's already seen that the Premiership is not a place for tippy-tappy stuff, but I don't think that's the ultimate aim - skilful, hard and fast I think is the aim. And yes, some managers ARE always learning. If it takes two years to build a team capable of pushing hard for 1st or comfortably taking 2nd, and grabbing a couple of cups and a Europa group stage or two, then I'm happy to wait a couple of years whilst we make progress. What else would we be doing? Ripping up the team & management every few months because we lost a cup tie?

Have you seen anything so far that suggests we are trying to develop a style of football that gives us hope? - Yes, the way we zipped the ball about up at Dens, in the first halves v Thistle & County at Tynie, against Rangers in the 4-1, against Killie and Hamilton in the 4-0s, against Motherwell in the 3-0, and for about 3 minutes up at Pittodrie on Saturday. There's a footballing philosophy in there, it needs a settled team of consistent, strong players who are committed to the club. We're at very early days, but there are enough signs that given a proper pre-season and a more considered transfer window, Cathro & MacPhee & Levein can build a strong, exciting, footballing team.

My point is that we are not an amateur club. We have the reputation and resources to recruit a decent head coach who may not be perfect or a dead cert to succeed (no manager is ever a dead cert) but at least we know they have the experience to motivate players, organise them and make effective changes during a game. I think we have recruited a decent head coach. Billy Brown has experience in motivating players, organising them and making effective changes (not a positive effect, true, but they are effective...). Should we go for him?

Skilful, hard and fast may be the aim but have we seen anything more than glimpses of this? I have seen a damn sight more of it from other teams, managed by guys who would not make anyones shortlist for our job.

And did you just produce "3 minutes at Pittodrie" in his defence??

I never mentioned the cup game but for Hearts to be so tame against that lot is poor. The pathetic response against Partick and Ross County was more damning.

Not sure I ever saw Billy Brown as anything other than a useful sidekick tbh, but there are other guys out there who have experience and will not need wet-nursed.

Sorry, i'm just not seeing this working out well.

August Landmesser

Skilful, hard and fast may be the aim but have we seen anything more than glimpses of this? I have seen a damn sight more of it from other teams, managed by guys who would not make anyones shortlist for our job.

And did you just produce "3 minutes at Pittodrie" in his defence??

I never mentioned the cup game but for Hearts to be so tame against that lot is poor. The pathetic response against Partick and Ross County was more damning.

Not sure I ever saw Billy Brown as anything other than a useful sidekick tbh, but there are other guys out there who have experience and will not need wet-nursed.

Sorry, i'm just not seeing this working out well.

The '3 minutes at Pittodrie' was tongue-in-cheek, I was up there - it was guff from start to finish.

It's hard at the moment but I remain optimistic...

Nookie Bear

The '3 minutes at Pittodrie' was tongue-in-cheek, I was up there - it was guff from start to finish.

It's hard at the moment but I remain optimistic...

Fair enough, I thought it was on the weaker side of arguments.

Was a cracking 3 minutes, mind, and we had them on the ropes.

FTH etc

Harry Potter

If Sam had scored with the whole goal in front of him, we are talking about a different game.

But thats a big if, we really need to be more ruthless in the other teams 18 yd box.

Aberdeens 1st was shockin defending , but the 2nd was even worse defending.

Cathro at no fault due to the bad defending but surely tells a story on his defenders.

August Landmesser

Fair enough, I thought it was on the weaker side of arguments.

Was a cracking 3 minutes, mind, and we had them on the ropes.

FTH etc

:2thumbsup:

If Sam had scored with the whole goal in front of him, we are talking about a different game.

But thats a big if, we really need to be more ruthless in the other teams 18 yd box.

Cathro at no fault due to the bad defending but surely tells a story on his defenders.

Doesn't matter if a defender volleys the ball into his own net, Harry, at the end of the day, the coach picks him and stands or falls on that decision.

Stephen Muddie

Up at Pittodrie , and most of he Aberdeen fans couldnt believe how meek and inept we were. So what did they have that we didn't:

- An experienced manager who was in control of the team and its performance

- A backbone of British players (we had 4 who started)

We need to address these 2 fundamental issues to stop this inexorable slide.

2 questions spring to mind...

What would we be saying if signings had turned out better

And.. Is Brexit a good thing now I can't keep up

IveSeenTheLight

It was an excellent opportunity for you.

Quick slick passing down your right, fed by a lovely through ball by Walker.

Taylor was napping and allowed Goncalves to slip through and excellent reading of the danger and tackle by Shay Logan.

Djoum followed up nicely to tee up Nicholson.

He should have at least hit the target and if he did so Lewis would have been struggling (although position well for a shot to that side of the goal).

Actually the bigger space was down to Lewis's right, so not sure why Nicholson didn't just drill it low and hard into the corner.

The game may well have changed at that point with you guys gaining more confidence, less need to get back into the game etc.

I'm fairly confident given our recent form and coming back from being down in other games that we would still have came back to get at least a draw, if not a 2-1 win

Bazzas right boot

It was an excellent opportunity for you.

Quick slick passing down your right, fed by a lovely through ball by Walker.

Taylor was napping and allowed Goncalves to slip through and excellent reading of the danger and tackle by Shay Logan.

Djoum followed up nicely to tee up Nicholson.

He should have at least hit the target and if he did so Lewis would have been struggling (although position well for a shot to that side of the goal).

Actually the bigger space was down to Lewis's right, so not sure why Nicholson didn't just drill it low and hard into the corner.

The game may well have changed at that point with you guys gaining more confidence, less need to get back into the game etc.

I'm fairly confident given our recent form and coming back from being down in other games that we would still have came back to get at least a draw, if not a 2-1 win

If you had Oshaniwa, you'd be even more confident.

I tell ya.

Bazzas right boot

You keep trying to tell me Mrs Doyle

YwNQ9pl.gif?1

He's a bargain, Could really kick on at your gaff.

?500k. World cup star bargain.

Lol, underachieved, your having a Giraffe.

Having a fraction of the budget of Celtic, we have no devine right to win anything.

In his 4 years it will be 3rd, 2nd, 2nd and 2nd.

We've improved each year bar last year where I agree we regressed.

They have underachieved given your resources compared to everyone except Celtic. One league cup and a couple of second places in a league without at least 2 or 3 of your usual competitors. That's under achievement. Motherwell finished 2nd once or twice on way less resources than McInnes had and in a more competitive league. And half a dozen teams have managed to one at least one cup in the same period. Even Hibs did it! And that lack of competition is what allowed Aberdeen to hoover up all the available affordable talent like McGinn, Shinnie, Hayes and co. In regular times, those players would be spread between Aberdeen, us and maybe Hibs and Rangers. Their options were very limited in Scotland though at the time they signed for Aberdeen.

If Aberdeen get 2nd this year that will be McInnes first genuine achievement, as the league is somewhat competitive again. 

Bazzas right boot

They have underachieved given your resources compared to everyone except Celtic. One league cup and a couple of second places in a league without at least 2 or 3 of your usual competitors. That's under achievement. Motherwell finished 2nd once or twice on way less resources than McInnes had and in a more competitive league. And half a dozen teams have managed to one at least one cup in the same period. Even Hibs did it! And that lack of competition is what allowed Aberdeen to hoover up all the available affordable talent like McGinn, Shinnie, Hayes and co. In regular times, those players would be spread between Aberdeen, us and maybe Hibs and Rangers. Their options were very limited in Scotland though at the time they signed for Aberdeen.

If Aberdeen get 2nd this year that will be McInnes first genuine achievement, as the league is somewhat competitive again.

Tbh that's shite.

The best teams at the time were in the top division.

Any other discussion is stupid beyond belief.

Whether Aberdeen have made the most of thier 2nd place finishes with 1 cup is another thing.

But we are in no position too? quiz other clubs trophy hauls tbh.

IveSeenTheLight

He's a bargain, Could really kick on at your gaff.

?500k. World cup star bargain.

Nah, we don't need back-up to Andy Considine. ;)

One league cup, on penalties.

Shocking European record.

No players sold for big money.

I'd say that's opportunities missed.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

I despise Aberdeen, and also find it really strange their fans frequent this forum. But this post is probably the most comical i've read on here in 11 years.

So do we discount our cup win in '06?

"Aye but ye huvnae selt any players fur big money" - :facepalm:

August Landmesser

I despise Aberdeen, and also find it really strange their fans frequent this forum. But this post is probably the most comical i've read on here in 11 years.

It was a bit of a shitemare tbh :facepalm:

I rarely do my best work at 9am on a Monday...

Mars plastic

It was a bit of a shitemare tbh :facepalm:

I rarely do my best work at 9am on a Monday...

Disagree. I'd say most of it was done from when you open your eyes in the morning to when you shut them at night.

Bazzas right boot

Aye, it wasn't the best argument.

Had some merit, mind!

It was a bit of a shitemare tbh :facepalm:

I rarely do my best work at 9am on a Monday...

Haha fair enough mate, we all have them.

Anyway, **** Aberdeen.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Fairly quiet at work. Most seemed to be surprised we succumbed so easily, but we have at Hibs and Partick too. This in comparison, when you consider a pen could have been given quite easily and Sam misses a sitter at 0 0 was possibly the slightest of improvement

McGinn and Hayes were signed by Craig Brown while Hearts and Hibs were still in the top division (2012). Shinnie is from Aberdeen and wanted to play for his hometown team. We may have benefitted when we signed Kenny McLean I'll give you that. Rooney had the choice of signing for Aberdeen or Hibs (Butcher wanted him and Hibees were in the top division at the time) but he chose Aberdeen. So I think you're well wide of the mark that we only signed most of these players due to other clubs misfortunes. McInnes also has a decent eye for lower division players in England (the fact he has managed there probably helps). Players like Lewis, Taylor, Logan, O'Connor and Stockley as good examples of mostly unknowns that have come up here and performed well. He has done well with loans too with the likes of Danny Ward, Maddison, Church and Michael Hector excelling. He also signed a couple of experienced players when he first arrived who he knew of old who he knew would bring some steel and backbone to the team for a couple of seasons (Flood and Robson). He knows what he is doing. You can say McInnes has underachieved all you like but it doesn't make much sense as he took over a club that hadn't been in the top 6 since Calderwood left and no cup final since 2000. Players clearly like and respect McInnes and enjoy playing for him that shines through most weeks. Motherwell had a good settled team under McCall and they had finished 2nd the season before McInnes took over when Hibs and Hearts were still in the top division so I think you've underestimated them a tad. They were very consistent in the league for a few seasons under SM. And you can mock the fact he has only won one trophy in his four year tenure but remember this....since Graeme Souness changed the face of Scottish football in 1986 when he took over Rangers only one non old firm team has won more than 3 major trophies since then (Aberdeen hold that distinction winning 4). That stat clearly highlights that in the modern era non OF teams rarely win major trophies they are the exception rather than the norm. Yes Celtic were not world beaters under Deila (or Lennon in his last season) but they were still a hell of a lot better than anyone else in Scotland. Hence the reason they won most of the trophies.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

McGinn and Hayes were signed by Craig Brown while Hearts and Hibs were still in the top division (2012). Shinnie is from Aberdeen and wanted to play for his hometown team. We may have benefitted when we signed Kenny McLean I'll give you that. Rooney had the choice of signing for Aberdeen or Hibs (Butcher wanted him and Hibees were in the top division at the time) but he chose Aberdeen. So I think you're well wide of the mark that we only signed most of these players due to other clubs misfortunes. McInnes also has a decent eye for lower division players in England (the fact he has managed there probably helps). Players like Lewis, Taylor, Logan, O'Connor and Stockley as good examples of mostly unknowns that have come up here and performed well. He has done well with loans too with the likes of Danny Ward, Maddison, Church and Michael Hector excelling. He also signed a couple of experienced players when he first arrived who he knew of old who he knew would bring some steel and backbone to the team for a couple of seasons (Flood and Robson). He knows what he is doing. You can say McInnes has underachieved all you like but it doesn't make much sense as he took over a club that hadn't been in the top 6 since Calderwood left and no cup final since 2000. Players clearly like and respect McInnes and enjoy playing for him that shines through most weeks. Motherwell had a good settled team under McCall and they had finished 2nd the season before McInnes took over when Hibs and Hearts were still in the top division so I think you've underestimated them a tad. They were very consistent in the league for a few seasons under SM. And you can mock the fact he has only won one trophy in his four year tenure but remember this....since Graeme Souness changed the face of Scottish football in 1986 when he took over Rangers only one non old firm team has won more than 3 major trophies since then (Aberdeen hold that distinction winning 4). That stat clearly highlights that in the modern era non OF teams rarely win major trophies they are the exception rather than the norm. Yes Celtic were not world beaters under Deila (or Lennon in his last season) but they were still a hell of a lot better than anyone else in Scotland. Hence the reason they won most of the trophies.

Hearts were banned from signing players long before relegation. You may want to practice as you preach regards fact

Hearts were banned from signing players long before relegation. You may want to practice as you preach regards fact

Did you actually read the post where the poster claimed Aberdeen had a free run at signing "McGinn, Shinnie, Hayes & co" before you replied? Hearts were not banned from signing players in the summer of 2012 which is when McGinn and Hayes signed for Aberdeen (as I clearly stated in my post). So your point is completely irrelevant regards those two players. Shinnie wanted to sign for Aberdeen for personal reasons as he is from the city and it suits his family situation at the moment. Those were the 3 players the poster specifically mentioned. Hearts being banned from signing players is not relevant to either of those players. I had already conceded we had a free run at Kenny McLean and also explained that Hibs battled us for Rooney so that one was hardly a free run. If he had wanted to move to Edinburgh he would have signed for Butcher as he had played for him before at ICT. He chose Aberdeen instead where his good mate Hayes played. So no preaching at all from me I'm just stating facts. Hearts could have bid for any all of those players I have mentioned (bar Rooney) at the time Aberdeen signed them. Reynolds as well. They chose not too. So anyone complaining about Aberdeen having no SPFL competition for the core of their team as it stands at the moment is being economical with the truth at best.

Archived