WHAT DID THEY HAVE ?

hibsarepants

IveSeenTheLight

McInnes record there coincides with us, rangers and hibs being either severely weakened or in another league. He's had a free run and has arguably under-achieved.

Lol, underachieved, your having a Giraffe.

Having a fraction of the budget of Celtic, we have no devine right to win anything.

In his 4 years it will be 3rd, 2nd, 2nd and 2nd.

We've improved each year bar last year where I agree we regressed.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
August Landmesser

Lol, underachieved, your having a Giraffe.

Having a fraction of the budget of Celtic, we have no devine right to win anything.

In his 4 years it will be 3rd, 2nd, 2nd and 2nd.

We've improved each year bar last year where I agree we regressed.

One league cup, on penalties.

Shocking European record.

No players sold for big money.

I'd say that's opportunities missed.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Jambo 4 Ever

They are the finished article. They will not get any better than they are now.

What makes you think that?

Why can't they still improve?  If we were as good as them, would we not still think we could get better?

The stand out for me was at throw in's. There was a total lack of movement and no-one wanted the ball. Standing around flat footed with no intention of taking a pass.

This has been a disappointing feature of our play for several seasons.

Jambo 4 Ever

The stand out for me was at throw in's. There was a total lack of movement and no-one wanted the ball. Standing around flat footed with no intention of taking a pass.

Good point!

Surely this is something that can be worked on in training??

We miss Paterson's long throws too

Bazzas right boot

Aberdeen have built a teamover 4/5 years.

They have confidence- they are on a very good run, in most other leagues they's be top on that kind of run.

They don't have half the team out of contract in 3 months and looking elsewhere.

They have commited players for the large part

They have better players, simply put maybe 2  of our players would get into their team. People are missing this glaringly obvisouly fact. They are better, they have built a better team over time on a higher  budget.

Cathro's biggest mistake was clearing out in January, 5 of the players that started won't be hear in 3 months. That is not good for teamwork, effort, passion etc. It cleary has an affect, I'd call it the "Butcher" effect. Its happening, the players who are leaving by nature will have their heads elsewhere, the players who are staying are probably a bit pissed off. In the dressing room it, I can only imagine things would  not be great.

I think the gamble  in January is  making Cathro look worse than he is and tbh, there is very little that can be done now until the summer It was a gamble that failed.

Its a disgrace that this season has turned into a  pre season for next season, Hearts, imo should be speaking to the fans and let us know what the hell the plan is. The wheels  have fallen off, however in reality nothing can be done until the summer, changing things now would  probably make things worse, imagine?

Things in football change quickly tho.

IveSeenTheLight

One league cup, on penalties.

A wins a win

Shocking European record.

We've actually surpassed the rounds we were seeded to be beaten in.

Seeded to get beat by Groningen and went past them.

Seeded to go out against Rijeka and put them out (comprihensive victory at their ground. 

Unfortunate to get knocked out by Maribor (which we were seeded to do so) as we outplayed them both legs

So our European record under DM has been successful. 

No players sold for big money.

I agree we've not sold any players for big money and all Scottish clubs need to be selling clubs, however this has led to stability, consistency and improvement.

I'd say that's opportunities missed.

I'd disagree ;)

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Made my comments to your points above

Dalstonjambo

Nothing wrong with my track record - just internet bullies who don't always like what I say but many people agree with what I say too

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Just an fyi - people who point out they disagree with you and say you are talking nonsense isn't bullying. If you think it is I would suggest you might want to take a break for a while and gain some perspective.

Jambo 4 Ever

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Just an fyi - people who point out they disagree with you and say you are talking nonsense isn't bullying. If you think it is I would suggest you might want to take a break for a while and gain some perspective.

They are welcome to disagree, but it is the name calling, ganging up on, and being accused of being a Hibs fan which is bullying!  I have had pms from people on here giving me their support too, so I don't take it personally - it is just really annoying and petty!

IveSeenTheLight

They have better players, simply put maybe 2  of our players would get into their team. People are missing this glaringly obvisouly fact. They are better, they have built a better team over time on a higher  budget.

If I'm honest, I would be interested in Goncalves.

Even though he was isolated in Saturday, he looks like a striker that if given the right service would thrive in this league.

Walker and Nicholson no doubt have talent, but they'd be competing directly with McGinn and Hayes.

Walker may squeeze in ahead of McGinn, but would need to show more consistency and there is always his injury concerns

Not than I see any of them coming to Pittodrie, just commenting on who from the Hearts team I could see fit into the Aberdeen team.

Cruyff Turn

They've got McInnes for starters. Who is a great manager, like a Scottish Simeone imo.

They've got or had a big budget.

They have a team, with experience, character, familiarity, determination, consistancy, belief.

A team purely from the British Isles who have played alongside one another for 4 or 5 years now so there is quite clearly a strong team spirit at Aberdeen.

Got to respect them for what they've done and reiterate how good a manager McInnes is.

We need to move away from the foreign market and start building a team who understand the game here, How to play it.

Sign the best players in this league out with the OF and Aberdeen. Sign more players for Ireland and England. I do believe that is a big issue for us.

August Landmesser

Made my comments to your points above

Ok, a win's a win, fair enough - otherwise I wouldn't be claiming our 2006 Scottish Cup... And if you're happy with that Euro record, then fair enough too.

But you've finished second every season (except one) when Rangers were out of the top league, and two seasons when Hearts were out of the league, or fielding their youth team (which you never beat btw). 

In all that time, you've won one League Cup. One League Cup. You also made a total bollocks of the Ronny Deila years.

Maybe we have different measures of success, but I'd be viewing one League Cup in 20-odd years, when Hearts have won 2 SC, Hibs have won a LC and an SC, St feckin' Mirren have won a LC, Ross County, ICT, and St J have all won SCs as a pretty poor return for the 'Third Force in Scottish Football'.

Anyway, you're second at the moment, enjoy it while it lasts...

Bazzas right boot

If I'm honest, I would be interested in Goncalves.

Even though he was isolated in Saturday, he looks like a striker that if given the right service would thrive in this league.

Walker and Nicholson no doubt have talent, but they'd be competing directly with McGinn and Hayes.

Walker may squeeze in ahead of McGinn, but would need to show more consistency and there is always his injury concerns

Not than I see any of them coming to Pittodrie, just commenting on who from the Hearts team I could see fit into the Aberdeen team.

Walker and Goncalves was the two I was thinking.

Souttar as well, possibly.

Also, Oshanwia, he's a world cup star left back, you should be looking at him.

IveSeenTheLight

Walker and Goncalves was the two I was thinking.

Souttar as well, possibly.

Also, Oshanwia, he's a world cup star left back, you should be looking at him.

I accept Souttar has played well the last couple of times we played you, but I gather he's quite inconsistent.

Lets hope he recovers well from his injury and you've not extended a player who does not return to their best

As for Oshaniwa, you like to keep pedaling him, but did you not see Considine's Tika Tika skills at the weekend.

I'm very happy with the solid dependable status of Considine.

They have a manager who has belief, fight, experience and authority. Strengths he can pass on and instil in the players.

Our coach has none of those attributes and needs training during a match.

Great post.

August Landmesser

They have a manager who has belief, fight, experience and authority. Strengths he can pass on and instil in the players.

Our coach has none of those attributes and needs training during a match.

So, Derek McInnes stopped learning on the day he took over as manager of Aberdeen? He took over as Aberdeen boss fully formed and complete? 

Ever since then he's not once had to re-think his approach during a game, or seek advice from his assistant or his coaches or anyone else within the game?

Seems legit.

I have absolutely no problem with Cathro seeking advice during, after or before games. I'd be more worried if he has CL there, with his managerial experience in England, Scotland and internationally, and IC wasn't asking for tips.

Nookie Bear

Basically, Aberdeen have a manager who knows how to recruit, knows how to set the tactics, and can motivate them to do the best they can (usually)

WE have...

IveSeenTheLight

Ok, a win's a win, fair enough - otherwise I wouldn't be claiming our 2006 Scottish Cup... And if you're happy with that Euro record, then fair enough too. From where we came from, it's been a fairly decent, progressive advancement in Europe. We have not disgraced ourselves in the last three years efforts in Europe.

But you've finished second every season (except one) when Rangers were out of the top league, and two seasons when Hearts were out of the league I do not understand your point. After many years underachieving, we have consistently achieved , or fielding their youth team (which you never beat btw). 

In all that time, you've won one League Cup. One League Cup. You also made a total bollocks of the Ronny Deila years.

Yes, one league cup and there is arguably a missed opportunity under the Deila years, but arguably it came too early for us, we were still in transition from the previous decade of under performances. In context, we have progressed in the last 4 years, massively from the McGhee, Paterson, Skovdahl and Alex Miller years

Maybe we have different measures of success, but I'd be viewing one League Cup in 20-odd years, when Hearts have won 2 SC, Hibs have won a LC and an SC, St feckin' Mirren have won a LC, Ross County, ICT, and St J have all won SCs as a pretty poor return for the 'Third Force in Scottish Football'.

I wonder how old you are. You had a long time "without success" before you managed to get the SC in 1998

Anyway, you're second at the moment, enjoy it while it lasts...

Thank you, I will.

Its certainly a lot better than the previous decade

Again my comments for what its worth

there was a time when dundee united were best of the rest and we were asking the same questions, motherwell had a spell too, aberdeen will get worse at some point that's just how it works we just need to make sure it's our turn next

Rudolf's Mate

McInnes record there coincides with us, rangers and hibs being either severely weakened or in another league. He's had a free run and has arguably under-achieved.

You're right about the league being weakened however I think you're completely wrong about them under-achieving. Fair enough you could discount their league positions because of this however you can't honestly say they should have been challenging Celtic. 

Next season if both ourselves and sevco finish behind them do we once again say we've been hampered by being relegated? And if so at what point do/can we stop saying/using this excuse?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The galling thing is Aberdeen are doing exactly what CL did with us 01 to 04 - a couple of careful additions every summer, taking care to maintain a spine to the team and a core of character guys in the dressing room. It's not like this is a new concept to him.

Mars plastic

I think McInnes is an excellent manager and I'd be over the moon if he were our manager. Aberdeen are also miles in front of us at the moment.

Pity their fans thought it acceptable to start gobbing on us after they scored their second goal.

Lincon Premier

It must be far easier getting one or two additions to fit into a settled structure than getting in 9 at once and trying to get them to play together. I feel we need to stop the experiment and look at the players we have and try to play to their strengths. 

IveSeenTheLight

Pity their fans thought it acceptable to start gobbing on us after they scored their second goal.

Absolutely disgusting and no place for it whatsoever.

What was the reaction / what caused this to happen?

Mars plastic

Absolutely disgusting and no place for it whatsoever.

What was the reaction / what caused this to happen?

Wel left straight after the second goal. As we went through the gate the boy in front of me had his jacket off looking at a big gobbing in the back of it.

IveSeenTheLight

Wel left straight after the second goal. As we went through the gate the boy in front of me had his jacket off looking at a big gobbing in the back of it.

Ok, so you are presuming it was an Aberdeen fan and do not know whether it was an instigated or reacted action ........

Regardless, its still disgusting and there is no place for it whomever was the offender

Mars plastic

Ok, so you are presuming it was an Aberdeen fan........

Regardless, its still discgusting and there is no place for it whomever was the offender

I am indeed.

Bazzas right boot

So, Derek McInnes stopped learning on the day he took over as manager of Aberdeen? He took over as Aberdeen boss fully formed and complete?

Ever since then he's not once had to re-think his approach during a game, or seek advice from his assistant or his coaches or anyone else within the game?

Seems legit.

I have absolutely no problem with Cathro seeking advice during, after or before games. I'd be more worried if he has CL there, with his managerial experience in England, Scotland and internationally, and IC wasn't asking for tips.

This x100.

PeterintheRain

They have a manager that knows what the hell he is doing for starters.

They are also the opposite of everything we are on the pitch at the moment. We can't even give them a game at Tynecastle so on reflection there was no chance up there.

So they managed to score exactly one proper goal. We effectively scored one for them and missed one ourselves.   So it should have been a 1:1 draw.   I thought you said they were soccer Gods compared to us?

PeterintheRain

They have a manager that knows what the hell he is doing for starters.

They are also the opposite of everything we are on the pitch at the moment. We can't even give them a game at Tynecastle so on reflection there was no chance up there.

So they managed to score exactly one proper goal. We effectively scored one for them and missed one ourselves.   So it should have been a 1:1 draw.   I thought you said they were soccer Gods compared to us?

PeterintheRain

There's no arguing about it.   The Sheep were clearly 2nd best team in the league. More than twice the size of Inverness, Ross County or St Johnstone.   Murderwell are turds and Dundee Untitled have collapsed having sold out to celtic.     Pish crowds, one little cup and a couple of Euro thrashings to show for it.

IveSeenTheLight

Lol, I love the maroon spectacled delusion.

You should have counted the Goncalves wrong offside miss and also the Goncalves shot that Lewis saved.

So we're in agreement, Hearts deserved to win 3-1 then ;)

Shhhhhhh, don't acknowledge all Aberdeens other chances though.

So they managed to score exactly one proper goal. We effectively scored one for them and missed one ourselves. So it should have been a 1:1 draw. I thought you said they were soccer Gods compared to us?

What a bizarre reply.

I never said they were soccer gods but unless you are blind (possibly you are) can you not see they are ahead of us ?

I don't like it but ffs is it not obvious

Bazzas right boot

So they managed to score exactly one proper goal. We effectively scored one for them and missed one ourselves. So it should have been a 1:1 draw. I thought you said they were soccer Gods compared to us?

Imo, they were soccer god's compared to us, we were shite.

They are welcome to disagree, but it is the name calling, ganging up on, and being accused of being a Hibs fan which is bullying! I have had pms from people on here giving me their support too, so I don't take it personally - it is just really annoying and petty!

You've obviously led a bit of a sheltered life tbf if you think any of that is bullying.

Never worked in an environment where having a laugh and some piss taking is the norm.

Lol, I love the maroon spectacled delusion.

You should have counted the Goncalves wrong offside miss and also the Goncalves shot that Lewis saved.

So we're in agreement, Hearts deserved to win 3-1 then ;)

Shhhhhhh, don't acknowledge all Aberdeens other chances though.

Don't think that is the opinion of any reasonable Hearts supporter mate, I'm sure you've got clowns on your side as well, like at Tynecastle the scoreline flattered us on the day.

IveSeenTheLight

Don't think that is the opinion of any reasonable Hearts supporter mate, I'm sure you've got clowns on your side as well, like at Tynecastle the scoreline flattered us on the day.

Absolutely.

I accept there are always those on the extreme for all clubs and I do not for one minute think this is how all Hearts fans think.

Its possible he was fishing for a response and maybe I had a wee nibble at his comments ;).

With regards to the Hearts team, I think there is still a lot of potential there. It just needs something to click.

You are still very strong at home, its just about transposing that to away form.

The last two games between us were reasonably comfortable for Aberdeen. Not something that I anticipated,

The four games prior to that we didn't win.

I'm still thinking that despite our dominance the last two games, I expect it to be a tough close game when we come to you guys post split.

Nookie Bear

I'm genuinely embarrassed for you if that is how you saw the game.

Nookie Bear

So, Derek McInnes stopped learning on the day he took over as manager of Aberdeen? He took over as Aberdeen boss fully formed and complete? 

Seems legit.

I have absolutely no problem with Cathro seeking advice during, after or before games. I'd be more worried if he has CL there, with his managerial experience in England, Scotland and internationally, and IC wasn't asking for tips.

He had managed club teams on 240 occasions before taking the Aberdeen job.

That is 6 full seasons of learning, which kinda negates any 5 years plans, right?

And no manager with any self respect would accept that level of interference during a game, especially so visibly. If Cathro needs help in game management then he needs to resign. If CL feels he needs to help Cathro in game management then he needs to sack him. If CL wants to be a manager then he needs to get his arse trackside and take the praise and criticism when it's due.

Dress it up all you like, Cathro is out of his depth and we, as a club, do not have the time for him to get up to speed.

I'm genuinely embarrassed for you if that is how you saw the game.

Reading between the lines I can kind of understand his post....I think.

Saturday's game, for me, was the mirror image of the Partick game at Firhill recently. Same score and same abject display throughout the team.

Now, Aberdeen are a better side than Partick...aren't they ?....but there was the same gap between the teams in both games...i.e....not a massive gap !

Hope this makes sense !

August Landmesser

And no manager with any self respect would accept that level of interference during a game, especially so visibly. If Cathro needs help in game management then he needs to resign. If CL feels he needs to help Cathro in game management then he needs to sack him. If CL wants to be a manager then he needs to get his arse trackside and take the praise and criticism when it's due.

Dress it up all you like, Cathro is out of his depth and we, as a club, do not have the time for him to get up to speed.

I disagree with all of what you're saying here, but I'm interested in why you think we don't have time for IC to 'get up to speed'? Are there only a limited number of seasons left before the SPFL & UEFA ban Hearts from entering any competitions? What's the hurry?

Mars plastic

I disagree with all of what you're saying here, but I'm interested in why you think we don't have time for IC to 'get up to speed'? Are there only a limited number of seasons left before the SPFL & UEFA ban Hearts from entering any competitions? What's the hurry?

What's the hurry? Are you actually that na?ve?

Say the club are in no hurry to 'get him up to speed' and we end this season 6th. We then go into next season papped out the LC and find ourselves in the bottom six. You don't think that's going to have an effect on the club?

Nookie Bear

Okay, how long do you think it will take for Cathro to get to grips with in-game management and motivating players (two parts of the management process that are very new to him)? How long before he learns the SPL on our budget is not a place for neat, tidy possession football? Another season? Two years? Some managers are always learning.

Have you seen anything so far that suggests we are trying to develop a style of football that gives us hope?

My point is that we are not an amateur club. We have the reputation and resources to recruit a decent head coach who may not be perfect or a dead cert to succeed (no manager is ever a dead cert) but at least we know they have the experience to motivate players, organise them and make effective changes during a game.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Okay, how long do you think it will take for Cathro to get to grips with in-game management and motivating players (two parts of the management process that are very new to him)? How long before he learns the SPL on our budget is not a place for neat, tidy possession football? Another season? Two years? Some managers are always learning.

Have you seen anything so far that suggests we are trying to develop a style of football that gives us hope?

My point is that we are not an amateur club. We have the reputation and resources to recruit a decent head coach who may not be perfect or a dead cert to succeed (no manager is ever a dead cert) but at least we know they have the experience to motivate players, organise them and make effective changes during a game.

Levein says so. The End

Rather than be looking at Aberdeen, I'm more concerned that we'll finish behind St Johnstone. Tommy Wright has done a superb job there but for Hearts to finish behind St Johnstone is absolutely disgraceful

I've absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we'll lose at Perth in a fortnight. That's an absolute nap

Nookie Bear

Levein says so. The End

Maybe we should have a DoF who is a little more secure in their beliefs, and can tolerate a more experienced Head Coach.

This place is going round in circles right now but it all comes back to one thing...an utter shambles.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Maybe we should have a DoF who is a little more secure in their beliefs, and can tolerate a more experienced Head Coach.

This place is going round in circles right now but it all comes back to one thing...an utter shambles.

Cathro isn't going anywhere. I think as much as it scares us we need to get behind him. If by November it stinks DoF either needs to walk with him or admit that he got it terribly wrong and is now seeking an experienced coach, Peter Houston, no doubt, to take the reins

Nookie Bear

Cathro isn't going anywhere. I think as much as it scares us we need to get behind him. If by November it stinks DoF either needs to walk with him or admit that he got it terribly wrong and is now seeking an experienced coach, Peter Houston, no doubt, to take the reins

Not getting behind him, but I'll keep my mouth shut and hope he somehow 'gets it'.

It will be Jon Daly next, and that will be it for me.

PH is the only experienced operator who'll work under of DoF

Archived