Robbie Neilson was not good enough

j1964m

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity after this post, I checked MK Dons position, as I've no interest in third tier English football. 14th place and mid-table obscurity. Pretty apt.

Again though, why are the Neilson lovers not angry with Levein and Budge for letting him walk? There's a myth that he was hounded out.

It hadn't clicked with me that I was supposed to be angry with Levein and Budge for "letting him walk".

Geoff Kilpatrick

It hadn't clicked with me that I was supposed to be angry with Levein and Budge for "letting him walk".

Well, if he was such a good manager why was there no fight put up, particularly as MK Dons are a fraction of the club that HMFC are? I'm still glad he left when he did as he had taken things as far as he could IMO but others seem to think we'd have stayed in 2nd place!

As the song goes you don't know what you've got till its gone

Well its true what they say "be careful what you wish for*

I too wasn't Robbie's number 1 fan but would rather have him then Cathro.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

We definitely should go 4-4-2 until we get out of this run of bad form IMO. Two strikers, or one and Walker; Tziolis, Djoum, Walker/Nicolson and Struna in midfield; give Smith a run at RB and get Rherras back in at LB. Need to scrap our way back into form now, not keep hoping this mystical passing game all suddenly clicks.

Robbie leaving has unblocked a lot of brains - scatterings of sense breaking-out everywhere now :)

in particular the passing game which pretty much became mystical after about 6 games in the championship

Was a better head coach than he was a player.

He was a mediocre head coach.

I'll leave it there. ;)

John Findlay

Was a better head coach than he was a player.

He was a mediocre head coach.

I'll leave it there. ;)

Mediocre head coaches don't win league titles at any level. Never mind in the professional game.

So bullocks to the above.

Out of curiosity after this post, I checked MK Dons position, as I've no interest in third tier English football. 14th place and mid-table obscurity. Pretty apt.

Again though, why are the Neilson lovers not angry with Levein and Budge for letting him walk? There's a myth that he was hounded out.

To be fair to Robbie when he took over they were in a terrible state. Robbie has steadied them considerable and since he joined them of the 14 league games he has played the have lost only lost 4 . I am no Robbie fan but you simply looking at that table has put egg all over your face he has that team going in the right direction... credit to him for that... we in the mean time are going backwards at an alarming rate! 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Mediocre head coaches don't win league titles at any level. Never mind in the professional game.

So bullocks to the above.

bullocks

ally mccoist is just another example of which there will be many

Geoff Kilpatrick

To be fair to Robbie when he took over they were in a terrible state. Robbie has steadied them considerable and since he joined them of the 14 league games he has played the have lost only lost 4 . I am no Robbie fan but you simply looking at that table has put egg all over your face he has that team going in the right direction... credit to him for that... we in the mean time are going backwards at an alarming rate!

:laugh:

No egg on face here but nice try!

Robbie, PHM on what evidence? Just another ex player who happened to get very lucky when appointed as a novice head coach. One week putting the cones down for the youth team, next week rolled out in front of the camera's. There appears to be some revisionism going on here by some. Robbie's jacket had been on a shoogly peg for some time, especially after the Malta fiasco. This followed up by some dodgy summer signings. And to cap it all his football style was god awful to watch.  I was delighted when he left to join a team to suit his personalty! 

John Findlay

bullocks

ally mccoist is just another example of which there will be many

Neilson showed him how to do it.

Neilson "Hounded" out :facepalm:

He jumped ship at the first opportunity to MK feckin Dons a made up team that will never ever be anywhere near as big as Hearts.

Aye PHM eh!

I wanted Neilson to succeed but it was plainly obvious he was never going to take us any further, and as soon as people that know anything about football and aren't blinkered saw that they wanted him gone. Cathro was appointed I was excited he came with very good refs from respected people in the game. So far it is not working, and we are witnessing many of the same traits and problems that we had under Neilson. I am now of the opinion that Levein must have more say/interference than he should. Two Completely people different backgrounds etc and different players and yet so many similarities cannot be a coincidence.

I'm not in the Cathro out camp, and I've said in other threads if it comes out Levein is the influencing factor at the root of these problems I'll happily hold my hands up and apologise for slating Neilson so much.

When Robbie first started the teams he sent out went out without fear and players were allowed to play freely and we blew teams away like we were doing in 05/06, albeit at a lower level in the championship. That suddenly stopped and we started playing like we didn't want to lose, and the longer that went on the tighter we curled up in ourselves. The long unbeaten run we went on was like a hindrance in a way we didn't want to lose it, and that style of play stayed with us for the rest of Neilsons time with us, bar just a couple of games here and there, almost like Levein had taken a day off maybe or Neilson felt rebellious that day.

I want Cathro to succeed, but I don't think he will with the egomaniac coward breathing down his neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Neilson showed him how to do it.

so ur original point was in fact bullocks

A_A wehatethehibs

This:  GP33897010.jpg

The example for guys like Liam Smith.

Neilson was a distinctly average footballer, who lived all of our dream and had a 10 year career as a Hearts player, won the cup and had an adventure at Leicester.

A great example to kids that anybody, even without the natural ability, anybody can be a pro and have a top career if they want it. You just need the determination, dedication and work ethic which Neilson has in spades.

What I would give to have a 200 appearance average player like him in the team now.

The example for guys like Liam Smith.

Neilson was a distinctly average footballer, who lived all of our dream and had a 10 year career as a Hearts player, won the cup and had an adventure at Leicester.

A great example to kids that anybody, even without the natural ability, anybody can be a pro and have a top career if they want it. You just need the determination, dedication and work ethic which Neilson has in spades.

What I would give to have a 200 appearance average player like him in the team now.

That kind of player would certainly know what it means to play for the famous Maroon jersey. Not like the imposters we have now.

This:  GP33897010.jpg

This: Robbie Neilson Hearts Testimonial 

This: 

This: JS60135678.jpg

Sorry, scoring a goal in Basle, part of a team to lift the SC and romping league doesn't make him a PHM in my book. Far more people who achieved less in lots of mediocre Hearts teams are PHM IMO.  Gary Mackay, Donald Ford, Walter Kidd, guys who spent the best part of a career at the one club, these are PHM.....PHM overused to the point where it devalues the true meaning. Neilson PHM never! 

John Findlay

so ur original point was in fact bullocks

No. Not at all. Robbie Neilson was good for Hearts and Hearts were good for him.

Robbie Neilson is a good coach. Those that thin otherwise are either stupid or have a personal agenda against him or even both.

A_A wehatethehibs

He jumped ship at the first opportunity to MK feckin Dons a made up team that will never ever be anywhere near as big as Hearts.

Aye PHM eh!

Bizarre that people actually think MK Dons is the end goal. His objective is to take them up to the championship, where the big clubs lie in wait. MK Dons is a good start for him down south, low profile, good budget, good chairman (rare these days, teams down there are absolutely littered with vlads), and a good squad of players. It's got nothing to do with size of club or history or anything like that. History is irrelevant - Coventry have history, Portsmouth have history, Charlton have history. MK Dons is a better job than any of them.

WIthout a British football league, this is a permanent state of affairs. It doesn't matter how many supporters Hearts, Hibs, Rangers or Celtic have, jobs like MK Dons, Rotherham, Bolton or Birmingham will always be bigger unfortunately, because of the potential rewards on offer. There is no contest.

Frankly the whole PHM thing hilarious. Think some people have actually started taking it seriously. I look forward to the first time I hear someone calling themselves a 'PHM' in the pub. :rofl:

Bizarre that people actually think MK Dons is the end goal. His objective is to take them up to the championship, where the big clubs lie in wait. MK Dons is a good start for him down south, low profile, good budget, good chairman (rare these days, teams down there are absolutely littered with vlads), and a good squad of players. It's got nothing to do with size of club or history or anything like that. History is irrelevant - Coventry have history, Portsmouth have history, Charlton have history. MK Dons is a better job than any of them.

WIthout a British football league, this is a permanent state of affairs. It doesn't matter how many supporters Hearts, Hibs, Rangers or Celtic have, jobs like MK Dons, Rotherham, Bolton or Birmingham will always be bigger unfortunately, because of the potential rewards on offer. There is no contest.

This is how I see it. Why would he want to join the merry-go-round at a team like Birmingham City?

Surely if he is that good then achieving something more of note than a championship win in Scotland would have been better on his CV then he would have been offered a much higher profile job. He still jumped at the first opportunity though he was not hounded out.

A_A wehatethehibs

Surely if he is that good then achieving something more of note than a championship win in Scotland would have been better on his CV then he would have been offered a much higher profile job. He still jumped at the first opportunity though he was not hounded out.

It's not just an opportunity mate it's a very good one. Taking a higher profile job doesn't mean you are taking a better job, it just means you are taking a higher risk. Look at stubbs at Rotherham, or Lennon at Bolton. Both bigger, higher profile jobs but look how they turned out. Not smart moves in either case.

Sorry, scoring a goal in Basle, part of a team to lift the SC and romping league doesn't make him a PHM in my book. Far more people who achieved less in lots of mediocre Hearts teams are PHM IMO.  Gary Mackay, Donald Ford, Walter Kidd, guys who spent the best part of a career at the one club, these are PHM.....PHM overused to the point where it devalues the true meaning. Neilson PHM never! 

Robbie Neilson was with us for 10 years, hence the testimonial. PHM by your own definition.

It's not just an opportunity mate it's a very good one. Taking a higher profile job doesn't mean you are taking a better job, it just means you are taking a higher risk. Look at stubbs at Rotherham, or Lennon at Bolton. Both bigger, higher profile jobs but look how they turned out. Not smart moves in either case.

Would agree with this, I'm maybe being overly protective of Hearts and sometimes look at people moving on as doing the dirty on us, when it's not always the case. I know players will move from us and so will managers, seen plenty in 45 years lol just when they go to smaller clubs like MK Dons it sticks in craw a wee bit that how far down we and Scottish football has sunk.

Would agree with this, I'm maybe being overly protective of Hearts and sometimes look at people moving on as doing the dirty on us, when it's not always the case. I know players will move from us and so will managers, seen plenty in 45 years lol just when they go to smaller clubs like MK Dons it sticks in craw a wee bit that how far down we and Scottish football has sunk.

Not a bad stance to take - there aren't many people who leave Hearts and go onto better things imo!

A_A wehatethehibs

I feel the same way about Scottish football. But you just have to change your perspective. The Barclays Premier League (why call it english, there are equally as few english players or managers in it as there are scottish) is simply not a british league anymore, it's the McDonalds, JP Morgan or Coca Cola of football, globalist corporate billionaire elite. For the fans it is shite, 100 quid a ticket to watch non-contact football, 20 year old twats who earn more in a week than entire towns. The stadiums are full of tourists with "both team" scarves on. You think the atmosphere at tynecastle hasn't been great lately, just go down to watch west ham at the olympic stadium, it's like a cinema, Tourist FC. 20 quid for a hot dog, coke and some ****ing popcorn.

For pros like Neilson however, it's just different, it's the opportunity of a lifetime, to put a hell of a lot of money in the bank if you can have a successful career. And if you waste the chance like stubbs or lennon, there's no way back. Neilsons been smart, good luck to him and good luck to MK Dons I say. Now they've got a Hearts man in charge maybe they'll learn how to be a football club.

davemclaren

Robbie had ambitions to manage in England, maybe felt he had taken us as far as he coukd and, as I understand it, wasn't happy with all the phoodle/plane stuff. Two and a bit years is a reasonable stint for a manager these days.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

No. Not at all. Robbie Neilson was good for Hearts and Hearts were good for him.

Robbie Neilson is a good coach. Those that thin otherwise are either stupid or have a personal agenda against him or even both.

yes maybe whatever

but that wasn't your original point

which you seem to need reminded on was :

that mediocre coaches don't win championships at any level

Captain America

Robbie's professional playing career lasted 14 years. 10 of them were spent with us. He played 200 games, Captained the club, played a vital role in cup win in 2006. As a manager he won the a league title by a canter. Left us with a 58% win ratio. 

By your own definition of 'guys who spent the best part of a career at the one club' Robbie is a PHM. 

Geoff the Mince

Nheilson was a bottler and I'm glad he's gone

Probably be at Falkirk in 5 yrs.

Lucille's Thirsty

Neilson IMO will never managed in Scotland again.

He's talented he'll flunctuate between championship and league 1 down in England for some time.

Captain America

Don't know if you are aware but there is an edit function to edit your post if you make a spelling mistake like you have with our ex manager's name. 

Noticed you are newish member so I thought I would help a fellow Jambo out. Welcome to Kickback. 

Pants Shaton

Frankly the whole PHM thing hilarious. Think some people have actually started taking it seriously. I look forward to the first time I hear someone calling themselves a 'PHM' in the pub. :rofl:

^

Not a PHM.

I am glad RN moved on. We needed someone else to take us to the next level. Not sure Cathro will be able to do it, but I hope so.

Lucille's Thirsty

Don't know if you are aware but there is an edit function to edit your post if you make a spelling mistake like you have with our ex manager's name.

Noticed you are newish member so I thought I would help a fellow Jambo out. Welcome to Kickback.

I've noticed this too some members seem to have a bitter opinion of Robbie Neilson and in their haste always spell his name wrong to emphasise their distaste.

I'm convinced it's on purpose and it's pathetic.

Captain America

I've noticed this too some members seem to have a bitter opinion of Robbie Neilson and in their haste always spell his name wrong to emphasise their distaste.

I'm convinced it's on purpose and it's pathetic.

No one would be as sad to deliberately spell the name wrong of someone they have a low opinion of surely?

What's next?  A quirky nickname likening them to an animal perhaps.

Some sad, strange people out there if so.

peebles jambo

I wasn't a Neilson fan and i'm glad he's away, it's just a pity they didn't replace him with a proven manager

^

Not a PHM.

I am many things to many people:

A Jammie-wearer who's life revolves around Hearts

A non-attendee internet supporter

Someone who's opinions are to on the fence

Too single-minded and aggressive

A knight on a high horse/white charger

Too right-on

A nasty piece of work who goes too far in internet feuds

A bigot

The P.C brigade

A Hobo

I've been called all these things on Kickback, at some point. :D

Now I'm not a PHM... Next week I'll be a PHM I reckon. :D

I am many things to many people:

A Jammie-wearer who's life revolves around Hearts

A non-attendee internet supporter

Someone who's opinions are to on the fence

Too single-minded and aggressive

A knight on a high horse/white charger

Too right-on

A nasty piece of work who goes too far in internet feuds

A bigot

The P.C brigade

A Hobo

I've been called all these things on Kickback, at some point. :D

Now I'm not a PHM... Next week I'll be a PHM I reckon. :D

Almost a full house there mate, good work.

Almost a full house there mate, good work.

Pretty much every swear word in the English and Scottish languages too! :rofl:

It's been a rollercoaster! :D

Missing a 'sweetie wife' and a 'happy clapper' from your collection but you'll get there I'm sure.

Missing a 'sweetie wife' and a 'happy clapper' from your collection but you'll get there I'm sure.

I've been a "sweetie rustler"! :lol:

I've also been a happy clapper too actually. I've missed a lot of things of my list on second thoughts. I was also a "Vlad Sheep", "Neilson lover", "head in the sand", "Levein lover"... I'm almost certain I've got a full house. That's before we get to personal threats via PM! :rofl:

Archived