Robbie Neilson was not good enough

j1964m

Watt-Zeefuik

I don't think anyone shipped Rossi out - I think he was made an offer that improved his lot & presumably we were paid a fee for his services.

You are basically saying that the players you name would've produced more under Robbie than they are under Ian. If that's the case, they should have a long look at themselves. Not the type of players we need at our club.

He said he was offered a dream move... to Saudi Arabia.  I suppose I don't buy it.  Someone would have to bump my salary by an awful lot to make me move from Edinburgh to Saudi Arabia.

As to the latter, I see this a lot on here, and I don't get it. Yes, the players should play for anyone, but then what is the point of a manager? Is it controversial to say that a good manager puts players in a better position to perform than a bad manager?

I'm not arguing that we're playing worse. Nor does it mean I want him back.

As for the players you mention they are all Cathro/McPhee signings so they wouldn't be here.

So you've gone from giving me the :lol: because you read me as implying that Neilson would "magic up" better players in the window to saying we can't compare what Neilson would have done because he wouldn't have gotten the same players.

I went with the ones we did manage to sign because to do otherwise introduces more counterfactuals and I'm trying to keep those to a minimum.  If you would stop aiming to score cheap points for a moment and engage with the post as it was intended this might be clear. But then, you'd likely have little to say...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bowmans_Boot

The big difference between Neilson and Cathro? Calum Paterson.

The end.

Exactly this. Had Cathro had Paterson then results would have been far better. Had Robbie not had Paterson then this poor period of results would have happened far earlier.

Good God. a 2-2 home draw against Celtic is an example of a great result?? 

youre right! It is an example of a great result!

Geoff Kilpatrick

He said he was offered a dream move... to Saudi Arabia. I suppose I don't buy it. Someone would have to bump my salary by an awful lot to make me move from Edinburgh to Saudi Arabia.

As to the latter, I see this a lot on here, and I don't get it. Yes, the players should play for anyone, but then what is the point of a manager? Is it controversial to say that a good manager puts players in a better position to perform than a bad manager?

So you've gone from giving me the :lol: because you read me as implying that Neilson would "magic up" better players in the window to saying we can't compare what Neilson would have done because he wouldn't have gotten the same players.

I went with the ones we did manage to sign because to do otherwise introduces more counterfactuals and I'm trying to keep those to a minimum. If you would stop aiming to score cheap points for a moment and engage with the post as it was intended this might be clear. But then, you'd likely have little to say...

No, the point was you're claiming that Neilson would have signed better players and even if someone else had signed them he would still get more out of them. You're all over the place.

Central Belt 1874

Watt, sammon, dauda, Juanma............

Delighted he left. He done a good job first season and a half but was heading in wrong direction.

I wasn't delighted that we replaced him with Cathro. Why posters continually try to assume that those who wanted Neilson to leave wanted him replaced with someone with less managerial experience is strange.

Did Neilson even win back to back cup games?

I would also argue that cup runs/wins are of more importance to the club than the difference between finishing 5th or 3rd.

It was an exciting end to the game (& I absolutely loved it!!), it wasn't an example of a "great result", lets not kid ourselves. A great result would be beating them, not drawing.

considering they are pumping every team they play against and considering how utterly shite we are at the moment (and they put 4 past us the last time we met) then yes I would say a draw would be a very good result indeed

Bowmans_Boot

considering they are pumping every team they play against and considering how utterly shite we are at the moment (and they put 4 past us the last time we met) then yes I would say a draw would be a very good result indeed

Were they then, though? And I still wouldnt describe a home draw as "great", unless it was the likes of the Hibs 4-4, a one off special game.

I disagree. It isn't working immediately but I do believe that it will, given time. Ian Cathro will prove to be a great Hearts manager and lead us to success we would never, ever have enjoyed under Neilson.

If a fan wants to finish 3rd/4th every year, never, ever do anything in Europe and never, ever win a cup then yes, Robbie was the perfect manager. If, however, a fan wishes to experience days like 16/05/98 or 19/05/12 then he most certainly was not. 

Don't know why you are mentioning Robbie in reply to my post other than perhaps to illustrate a point... I never really liked Robbie's style and have said so. So it would seem that you disagree that Hearts fans should not aspire to having a top line manager.  As to the rest, honestly? I think you are in la ,la  land there mate. I would only say this his (Cathro) start has been horrific bar a result against as poor a Rangers side as you could find. I really have to ask the question how long are we going to give the man to prove what he has or has not got? Until the fans won't take anymore? If we slip into the bottom half of the division? God forbid until we are getting near to the brown trousers end of the table. It is difficult not to sound negative but you have to ask yourself what are the mans managerial credentials for proving he actually has got what it takes... because Levein says he has. Hearts are the third club of Scotland surely we deserve a manager in line with that standing not an experiment a la Levein. The bit in bold... of course we have had a string of managers who have won us cups and taken us on amazing runs in Europe over the years haven't we ? We won a cup in 56 then again in 1998 and 14 years later we win the cup again, three different managers. Europe our string of successful seasons just roll by decade after decade.

Don't know why you are mentioning Robbie in reply to my post other than perhaps to illustrate a point... I never really liked Robbie's style and have said so. So it would seem that you disagree that Hearts fans should not aspire to having a top line manager.  As to the rest, honestly? I think you are in la ,la  land there mate. I would only say this his (Cathro) start has been horrific bar a result against as poor a Rangers side as you could find. I really have to ask the question how long are we going to give the man to prove what he has or has not got? Until the fans won't take anymore? If we slip into the bottom half of the division? God forbid until we are getting near to the brown trousers end of the table. It is difficult not to sound negative but you have to ask yourself what are the mans managerial credentials for proving he actually has got what it takes... because Levein says he has. Hearts are the third club of Scotland surely we deserve a manager in line with that standing not an experiment a la Levein. The bit in bold... of course we have had a string of managers who have won us cups and taken us on amazing runs in Europe over the years haven't we ? We won a cup in 56 then again in 1998 and 14 years later we win the cup again, three different managers. Europe our string of successful seasons just roll by decade after decade.

'06

Exactly this. Had Cathro had Paterson then results would have been far better. Had Robbie not had Paterson then this poor period of results would have happened far earlier.

If Neilson had the opportunity to sign multiple new players in January then our results would have improved, not worsened.

'06

Sorry missed that one off, hangs head in shame :)  but you get the drift different manager each time. I do not want anybody to get the idea I don't want Cathro to do well. For me the issue is we are a top side we should be getting the best we can... I really honestly do not believe that he is the best we could have got. I know nobody wants it to happen but say the run continues and we end the season on a low say in 7th or 8th do we then go into next season with the mantra things are going to be better the next game ? Or will the collective voice of the support change things. Cathro has been brought in while we were in a good place points and table position wise can you even imagine the strop had he not been given this cushion? Was this even in Levein's thoughts when he was brought in... we are second in the division we cannot possibly F up from here to the seasons end so its worth the gamble?

Westendjambo

Was always a big Robbie fan. Think we were onto something special with him.

Me also. Said when he left that we must be careful what we wished for. You can imagine the replies

Sorry missed that one off, hangs head in shame :)  but you get the drift different manager each time. I do not want anybody to get the idea I don't want Cathro to do well. For me the issue is we are a top side we should be getting the best we can... I really honestly do not believe that he is the best we could have got. I know nobody wants it to happen but say the run continues and we end the season on a low say in 7th or 8th do we then go into next season with the mantra things are going to be better the next game ? Or will the collective voice of the support change things. Cathro has been brought in while we were in a good place points and table position wise can you even imagine the strop had he not been given this cushion? Was this even in Levein's thoughts when he was brought in... we are second in the division we cannot possibly F up from here to the seasons end so its worth the gamble?

"smily face thingy" (I don't do them!)

Bazzas right boot

The facts are there, he was a very good coach, improved us in his entire time here, there was of course room for improvement, but that has always been the case.

Comparisons are not helpful, we need to get behind Cathro.

I am excited about the summer, but is ridiculous that this season has been a complete wipe out since December.

rudi must stay

Wanted Neilson out due to his record in big games, but Cathro doesn't seem like an improvement. Still happy Neilson's gone as for me the board were too nice to him, he didn't earn that new deal and we weren't going to be anything other than an average SPL team with him in charge

Came over as a genuine striver, seemed to give his all, even when hearts lost.

Throughout his tenure compared to Gary Locke....Unfair to both, as lockes youngsters, tried so hard against seasoned players..Had a good end of season. Robbie's team continual change, some good results, some terrible.... Mk dons, with all its baggage may give him a chance......

If you compare his cup and away records with other much more experienced hearts managers it was far from shocking. How many hearts managers drew celtic twice and hibs in the cups at such early stages as well?

His record ensures that he is one of the most successful Hearts managers ever.

His record is shocking. It's a moot point about the others. Different debate.

Surely all form and results are relative? He can only be expected to achieve so much realistically. So when you measure his ability, there has to be some sort of benchmark. The best benchmark has to be other managers ay the same club.

If Neilson had the opportunity to sign multiple new players in January then our results would have improved, not worsened.

Yep. Watt was on his way out, as was Ozturk. He was well aware Sammon wasn't working out and that we needed cover for Paterson and Walker, probably anticipating bids. I think we would have recruited well again without the turmoil brought on by a full scale mid season team makeover.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yep. Watt was on his way out, as was Ozturk. He was well aware Sammon wasn't working out and that we needed cover for Paterson and Walker, probably anticipating bids. I think we would have recruited well again without the turmoil brought on by a full scale mid season team makeover.

Based on what evidence?

His signings in the close season were awful.

Rherras - reminiscent of Kevin McHattie with no left foot

Watt - flattered to deceive

Sammon - pish

Muirhead - never got a decent run in front of the same pish

Johnsen - looked decent to start with. Happy to keep in a post Cathro world

That hit rate is bloody awful.

Based on what evidence?

Sammon - pish

I've said last summer was a bad window. Disagree about Rherras and Muirhead. Decent enough to get us to 2nd place and are or would be fine squad players. Letting Muirhead go seemed very odd. Sammon also should have been retained as squad cover.

Based on what evidence?

Sammon - pish

Rherras is a decent player.  I'm sure of it!

Sammon.  Right.  I'm going to say it.  I wish he had played against Hibs.  And last night.  He works defenders.  The ball sticks to him.  He's actually a decent passer of the ball too.  He works his big muscly ass off.  His finishing is beyond woeful and he's a joke in the air, but he'd bring a leader up front for us we're missing badly just now.

I did just type that.  I went there.

Edit: Ps, I'm not sure where that fits in with this Neilson/Cathro debate, but it's off my chest

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Rherras is a decent player. I'm sure of it!

Sammon. Right. I'm going to say it. I wish he had played against Hibs. And last night. He works defenders. The ball sticks to him. He's actually a decent passer of the ball too. He works his big muscly ass off. His finishing is beyond woeful and he's a joke in the air, but he'd bring a leader up front for us we're missing badly just now.

I did just type that. I went there.

Edit: Ps, I'm not sure where that fits in with this Neilson/Cathro debate, but it's off my chest

all true (regarding salmon)

the one thing he needs is a partner close by to feed off his work

he had that for a few games at the start of the season which had his fierecest critics, of which there were many, doing u-turns

then neilson gave tony watt a free-role

:lol:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Rherras is a decent player. I'm sure of it!

Sammon. Right. I'm going to say it. I wish he had played against Hibs. And last night. He works defenders. The ball sticks to him. He's actually a decent passer of the ball too. He works his big muscly ass off. His finishing is beyond woeful and he's a joke in the air, but he'd bring a leader up front for us we're missing badly just now.

I did just type that. I went there.

:rofl:

Sammon leaps 5ft4 in the air. Yes, he's a big lump but he showed absolutely nothing to suggest he'd make a difference up front.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I've said last summer was a bad window. Disagree about Rherras and Muirhead. Decent enough to get us to 2nd place and are or would be fine squad players. Letting Muirhead go seemed very odd. Sammon also should have been retained as squad cover.

I quite liked Muirhead too but Neilson hardly picked him. Then he takes him south! Bizarre.

Retaining Sammon as squad cover would have been daft given what he's paid. It's bad enough that Oshinawa is overpaid and a fill in left winger for the U20s without adding him to the mix.

Sammon leaps 5ft4 in the air. Yes, he's a big lump but he showed absolutely nothing to suggest he'd make a difference up front.

Showed plenty to suggest he'd provide more experienced back-up when coping with SPFL defenders kicking everything that moves than Currie and Bikey, who are now just a couple of injuries and suspensions away from being our only forwards. Get rid of Muirhead or Sammon as well as Watt and Juanma, sure. But replace them with more than Goncalves, a raw teenager and a raw amateur on trial. One of Muirhead or Sammon at least would be very useful cover.

I quite liked Muirhead too but Neilson hardly picked him. Then he takes him south! Bizarre.

Retaining Sammon as squad cover would have been daft given what he's paid. It's bad enough that Oshinawa is overpaid and a fill in left winger for the U20s without adding him to the mix.

No idea what players get paid to be honest and don't get as hung up on it as others do. We're working within a sustainable overall budget - that's good enough for me. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Showed plenty to suggest he'd provide more experienced back-up when coping with SPFL defenders kicking everything that moves than Currie and Bikey, who are now just a couple of injuries and suspensions away from being our only forwards. Get rid of Muirhead or Sammon as well as Watt and Juanma, sure. But replace them with more than Goncalves, a raw teenager and a raw amateur on trial. One of Muirhead or Sammon at least would be very useful cover.

Which is why I would have kept Muirhead out of the two. However, Levein seems to have an aversion to the concept of a squad player.

Sammon gets paid "starter" money which he doesn't justify. That means get rid as soon as possible.

I'm sceptical of this in terms of the players. I don't think we would have signed anyone different and probably wouldn't have signed Goncalves. 

We needed a RB, so Struna likely would have signed, I'm doubtful Cathro knew jack about Sowah. As mentioned Ozturk was out, Rossi got a 'dream move' (lol) so CB wise Avo-whatsit would probably have been the target. We probably wouldn't have got Hughes or Tziolis.

However we wouldn't have lost Muirhead.

Point I'm making is, how many contacts does Neilson realistically have? The bulk of these players are from Leveins network. 

Results probably would have remained steady but underwhelming. Lets not pretend we weren't jumping down Neilsons throat. He would have lost us the derby too based on previous form and the place would have went into meltdown (again).

Which is why I would have kept Muirhead out of the two. However, Levein seems to have an aversion to the concept of a squad player.

Sammon gets paid "starter" money which he doesn't justify. That means get rid as soon as possible.

Would have kept both and Rossi personally. Sammon coming on vs the bottom 6 teams - against which good games of football are unlikely to ever break out - to run at them late on would have been a good option for me. Certainly better than Bikey who looks very raw. Currie does look better than most of our previous youth strikers who have broken through though.

You're very, very wrong. Very. Again.

We'd have had a chance to build attacks and gain territory around Sammon last night but instead had Johnsen lose the ball trying to do fancy fancy every time he had back to goal.

Wrong. You. Again.

Night.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You're very, very wrong. Very. Again.

We'd have had a chance to build attacks and gain territory around Sammon last night but instead had Johnsen lose the ball trying to do fancy fancy every time he had back to goal.

Wrong. You. Again.

Night.

Aye, and we should go back to FOAR FOAR TWO according to you as well. Sound.

You said this before but the facts don't back it up. Robbie lost Paterson for 8 games or so as well and results were nowhere near this bad. And all we had was a youngster as RB back-up too, not an experienced internationalist. Not having a go at Cathro, just sayin...

Simple things done well, Jeff.

Sleepy time. Shall dream of Sammon and tanner baw wingers.

We definitely should go 4-4-2 until we get out of this run of bad form IMO. Two strikers, or one and Walker; Tziolis, Djoum, Walker/Nicolson and Struna in midfield; give Smith a run at RB and get Rherras back in at LB. Need to scrap our way back into form now, not keep hoping this mystical passing game all suddenly clicks.

Geoff Kilpatrick

We definitely should go 4-4-2 until we get out of this run of bad form IMO. Two strikers, or one and Walker; Tziolis, Djoum, Walker/Nicolson and Struna in midfield; give Smith a run at RB and get Rherras back in at LB. Need to scrap our way back into form now, not keep hoping this mystical passing game all suddenly clicks.

What's the point when we play inside out wide players? We ask the full backs to provide width and we have a lack of left sided players.

What's the point when we play inside out wide players? We ask the full backs to provide width and we have a lack of left sided players.

I agree with BigO. Forget all that for a while. I'd even love to see a Robbo-Crabbe-Colquhoun style 4-3-3, with Walker in the JC role plus Goncalves and Currie/Johnson. Tziolis, Djoum and Martin or Kitchen in midfield. Standard back 4 told to defend first and foremost. 

But then I base most of what I think of as successful formations on the Hearts teams of the late 80s and early 90s.

Watt-Zeefuik

No, the point was you're claiming that Neilson would have signed better players and even if someone else had signed them he would still get more out of them. You're all over the place.

The first is not a point I ever made or implied. I am arguing that with the same standard of player as Cathro, whether they were the same men or not, Neilson would be getting more out of them.

Neilson's recruitment was a decidedly mixed bag, just like Cathro's, which leads me to believe that recruitment has as much to do with Levein and the scouts as it does with the head coach. 

Those pointing to Paterson miss that he played four matches for Cathro and aside from the Killie match all of the current problems we see were already showing up.

Surely all form and results are relative? He can only be expected to achieve so much realistically. So when you measure his ability, there has to be some sort of benchmark. The best benchmark has to be other managers ay the same club.

My benchmark - and bear in mind I'm referring to Robbie Neilson's cup record here - is winning games that were eminently winnable. Both SC games vs Hibs (2-0 up at home with 10 to go!) the LC game at Perth & I'm classing this sesson's European games as "cup ties" as that was the format.

Doesn't make good reading irrespective of what other managers have done.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The first is not a point I ever made or implied. I am arguing that with the same standard of player as Cathro, whether they were the same men or not, Neilson would be getting more out of them.

Neilson's recruitment was a decidedly mixed bag, just like Cathro's, which leads me to believe that recruitment has as much to do with Levein and the scouts as it does with the head coach.

Those pointing to Paterson miss that he played four matches for Cathro and aside from the Killie match all of the current problems we see were already showing up.

If you believe that Neilson could have got much more out of these imposters to be sitting 2nd then you are deluded. Cathro has dropped his dross like Kitchen which was welcome. However, Cathro's dross hasn't supplanted Neilson's dross.

Watt-Zeefuik

If you believe that Neilson could have got much more out of these imposters to be sitting 2nd then you are deluded. Cathro has dropped his dross like Kitchen which was welcome. However, Cathro's dross hasn't supplanted Neilson's dross.

Perhaps second is a bridge too far, but I refuse to believe Neilson would have a 22% win percentage in the same span.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Perhaps second is a bridge too far, but I refuse to believe Neilson would have a 22% win percentage in the same span.

I'll give you that. Neilson at least didn't seem to lose against the dross. At worst, we would draw.

A_A wehatethehibs

Robbie Neilson was and is a good manager.

He just kept those points ticking over. Rain, wind or shine, points ticked over. 182 points from 89 league matches is simply very good.

There is no leg to stand on trying to argue he was anything other than a good football manager. Those league points are your bread and butter. Now we're starving. Scavenging for the meagre crust that would be a point vs hamilton this weekend.

He has the points centric attitude to make him a very successful league football manager and he's already showing it at his next club, just 2 defeats in their last 10 games. Points Points Points. That is Robbie Neilson. Even this season, with all the frustration about not being better, Sammon/Watt turning out crap etc, draws against hamilton and ICT, despite all that (distant memory now) the 26 hard fought points Neilson won during the first 15 games of the season are the sole reason we are in the still in top 6 right now. 12 points from 12 league games since he left. Off a cliff to put it politely.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Robbie Neilson was and is a good manager.

He just kept those points ticking over. Rain, wind or shine, points ticked over. 182 points from 89 league matches is simply very good.

There is no leg to stand on trying to argue he was anything other than a good football manager. Those league points are your bread and butter. Now we're starving. Scavenging for the meagre crust that would be a point vs hamilton this weekend.

He has the points centric attitude to make him a very successful league football manager and he's already showing it at his next club, just 2 defeats in their last 10 games. Points Points Points. That is Robbie Neilson. Even this season, with all the frustration about not being better, Sammon/Watt turning out crap etc, draws against hamilton and ICT, despite all that (distant memory now) the 26 hard fought points Neilson won during the first 15 games of the season are the sole reason we are in the still in top 6 right now. 12 points from 12 league games since he left. Off a cliff to put it politely.

Out of curiosity after this post, I checked MK Dons position, as I've no interest in third tier English football. 14th place and mid-table obscurity. Pretty apt.

Again though, why are the Neilson lovers not angry with Levein and Budge for letting him walk? There's a myth that he was hounded out.

A_A wehatethehibs

Out of curiosity after this post, I checked MK Dons position, as I've no interest in third tier English football. 14th place and mid-table obscurity. Pretty apt.

Again though, why are the Neilson lovers not angry with Levein and Budge for letting him walk? There's a myth that he was hounded out.

iirc they were 21st when he took over and fighting relegation. Form in last 10 games W4 D4 L2 - tells you all you need to know. Organised. The points income stream is there.

Won't be at all surprised if he takes them up next season. There's a good budget, good squad and good ambition there. He will fly under the radar. He wasn't hounded out, he made a smart move into the english game at a club which will give him time, resources, trust and space to work. He wanted the move, Hearts were adequately compensated. There is no mystery. To anyone who knows British professional football, it's a good move for Neilson. I was sad to lose him but unfortunately that's the way it goes. With his points record at Hearts, it was only a matter of time.

He's doing well at the dons , good luck to the guy, our loss their gain .

Watt-Zeefuik

I'm annoyed at Robbie for going to such a shite club but if he told Levein and Budge that he really wanted the job, I don't see it as worth their while to tell him no.

As to the "myth" he was hounded out, he made a decision on his own reckoning and there's no chance he's going to share that with the press at this point.  However, yes, I think the plane and other nonsense probably pushed him to start looking at other opportunities.

I don't think for a minute Levein or Budge pushed him out.  I think both were quite sorry to see him go given the timing.

Archived