Walker and his Diving

McCrae

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
William H. Bonney

I'm guessing had he dived, it would have been highlighted on sportscene. It wasn't so hopefully we can move on now.

Seymour M Hersh

It's sad that diving is an issue in football. Walker has already been caught doing it. He has to stop it.

And what are you going to do about it big man? He looked from my view he caught his studs. I didn't see any claim for a pen from him either. He was, however, absolutely useless yesterday and looked totally disinterested and had no energy or drive.

And what are you going to do about it big man? .

Done my bit already by highlighting it. We have a great club with many traditions to be proud of..... Diving is not something we want to be associated with.

Done my bit already by highlighting it. We have a great club with many traditions to be proud of..... Diving is not something we want to be associated with.

What about the other forms of cheating I mentioned earlier? Or is certain types of cheating acceptable.?

The Treasurer

Walker is the type of player that gets targeted by opponents but sees little protection from referees.

Instead it's the exact opposite, where referees prefer to focus on what he does rather than the treatment he receives.

Personally I'd rather see Walker take whatever action needed to avoid some of the "tackles" that he has to face rather than be out for months with a broken leg and if that is seen as a "dive" then there is something far wrong.

Walker is the type of player that gets targeted by opponents but sees little protection from referees.

Instead it's the exact opposite, where referees prefer to focus on what he does rather than the treatment he receives.

Personally I'd rather see Walker take whatever action needed to avoid some of the "tackles" that he has to face rather than be out for months with a broken leg and if that is seen as a "dive" then there is something far wrong.

:spoton:

Smacks of Miko a decade after he was given the same treatment.

Forgetting the dive I still say he's a lazy fecker on the pitch!!!

3 or 4 decent minutes in 90 aint enough.

Pity.

Agree totally. One of those players who can't seem to be arsed most of the time. Good player when he puts his mind to it but he doesn't do it often enough for me.

He looks knackered half the time and on Saturday he struggled to get the ball under control any time he had it. Seemd to stick under his feet most of the time and he looked off balance.

The problem is we don't have any alternatives at the moment.

What is anti Hearts about wanting a player to stop cheating?  Its all about standards.  We could lose a match as a result of Walker diving.  Calling this out before it becomes more of issue is the right thing to do for the team and the club. Ignoring this anti football.

he has dived once, that's right once. You obviously have an agenda against him chich is a bit sad for a Heart supporter.

I agree with others that he probably needs rested as he is just not on his game at the moment but that is another story

he has dived once, that's right once. You obviously have an agenda against him chich is a bit sad for a Heart supporter.

I agree with others that he probably needs rested as he is just not on his game at the moment but that is another story

He has only been banned once this season, that is not the same thing as only diving once.  You are right, I do have an agenda. I dont want to see Hearts players diving. Not only is it just wrong it can have a negative impact on the team.  He has already been suspended for doing this season and he should have learned his lesson.  

It's just wrong, but its fair to give him some slack if its only happened once... but as on Saturday he does it again...its time to call him out.

Walker is an important player for the club, he could easily face another suspension due to diving... we need him and the squad is not as strong if he isn't part of it.

Son Of Anarchy

Unfortunate to see some of 'our own' buying in to this 'reputation' which has been conjured up by the media.

Not for the first time either. Mmmmm.

Players are of course entitled to and its accepted under the laws of the game for players to take action to avoid a dangerous tackle. That is not classed as diving.

Are you seriously arguing that the "challenge" he faced on Saturday or against Celtic were reckless challenges that could have injured him?

The Treasurer

Players are of course entitled to and its accepted under the laws of the game for players to take action to avoid a dangerous tackle. That is not classed as diving.

Are you seriously arguing that the "challenge" he faced on Saturday or against Celtic were reckless challenges that could have injured him?

Don't think that is what I said.

Walker is targeted, there is no doubt about that.

The media, with the help of Scott Brown, have (wrongly) labelled him a diver, which too many people, including referees, are quick to latch onto.

It's very sad that even some of our own supporters are only too happy to perpetuate this myth, rather than give backing to arguably one of our best players

Seymour M Hersh

No doubt you'll dine out on it for years!  "Done my bit" what an arrogant load of shite.

No doubt you'll dine out on it for years! "Done my bit" what an arrogant load of shite.

:lol: The medal must be in the post!

People are aware you can dive without appealing to the ref?

Always found it bizzare when this is used as a defence against a dive.

:lol:

Whether or not Walker dived is up for debate, but please stop spouting this shite about not appealing. It's irrelevant.

It's a very fair point. However, I wouldn't say it is totally irrelevant. Anyone looking at an incident and trying to determine if a player dived can only go on what they see. The reaction afterwards forms part of the evidence in that context. Not appealing certainly doesn't mean the player didn't dive. However, nothing you see in that circumstance offers concrete proof. The only person who truly knows if they deliberately went to ground with the intention of deceiving the ref is the player.

He doesn't cheat though. He was booked last week, and it was rescinded.

And on the subject of not wanting a player to cheat:

Do you not want a defender to deliberately foul a player to stop a goal?

Do you not want a player to steal a yard or two when given a freekick?

Do you not want a player to time waste if we are winning with a few minutes to go?

Do you not want a player to claim a throw that is not ours?

Do you not want a player to deny a penalty decision for the opposition, even if it is a penalty?

Do you not want a player to claim and celebrate a goal if he knows it is offside or not over the line?

Personally, I want all of that.

What about the other forms of cheating I mentioned earlier? Or is certain types of cheating acceptable.?

I would be interested to hear the answer to this.

In terms of diving, in modern football pretty much every attacking player goes down relatively easily and looks to gain an advantage. This is often applauded by pundits, referring to the attacking player as "clever" as they took advantage of a leg that was there to fall over. However, this is not consistent for all players and some, like Jamie, are then extremely unfairly labelled as cheaters and divers. 

No doubt you'll dine out on it for years!  "Done my bit" what an arrogant load of shite.

Its the type of response your original comment deserved.  

Jamie Walker is one of our best players and he is no different to any other modern forward player. He would be putting himself at a disadvantage if he did not play the way his peers do. Hearts fans slagging him off though, utterly abysmal patter.

Jamie Walker is one of our best players and he is no different to any other modern forward player. He would be putting himself at a disadvantage if he did not play the way his peers do. Hearts fans slagging him off though, utterly abysmal patter.

Not anywhere near abysmal as yours.

queensferryjambo

I have been to games this season where opposition players have tried to con refs 4 or 5 times in the one game. Most refs have done well and not fallen for their diving. 

None of those players are even noteworthy enough for Sportscene to highlight.

After the Celtic dive by Walker it seems it is fair game for pundits and fans alike to talk shite about a good young Scottish player.

queensferryjambo

Not anywhere near abysmal as yours.

From a 'Hearts fan' who's patter is so tragic and so anti Hearts he has to post photos of match tickets to prove himself a Hearts fan.

:gok:

Son Of Anarchy

From a 'Hearts fan' who's patter is so tragic and so anti Hearts he has to post photos of match tickets to prove himself a Hearts fan.

:lol:

He's got bloody loads of loyalty points though...

:rofl:

In terms of diving, in modern football pretty much every attacking player goes down relatively easily and looks to gain an advantage. This is often applauded by pundits, referring to the attacking player as "clever" as they took advantage of a leg that was there to fall over. However, this is not consistent for all players and some, like Jamie, are then extremely unfairly labelled as cheaters and divers.

And with regards to the foul question, it is often praised or simply deemed as taking one for the team, if the player is yellow carded ;which they aren't always). The words 'profession foul' are even used.

Jambof3tornado

What about defenders who do a pressley as soon as they are running towards their own goal and feel a player breathe down their necks and go down like a sack of spuds? Is that cheating?

Think we need to be careful. Also pretty sure if he'd won a free kick which we scored from it wouldn't matter as much to some.

I'd settle for the occasional tumble if he would up his effort on the pitch.

Not half as tragic as you sitting in the house whilst I'm actually there.

He has only been banned once this season, that is not the same thing as only diving once.  You are right, I do have an agenda. I dont want to see Hearts players diving. Not only is it just wrong it can have a negative impact on the team.  He has already been suspended for doing this season and he should have learned his lesson.  

It's just wrong, but its fair to give him some slack if its only happened once... but as on Saturday he does it again...its time to call him out.

Walker is an important player for the club, he could easily face another suspension due to diving... we need him and the squad is not as strong if he isn't part of it.

as others have pointed out, he did not dive on Saturday but you have your agenda so will not let facts get in the way

queensferryjambo

Not half as tragic as you sitting in the house whilst I'm actually there.

I am sitting in my house just now and glad you got to Dens early = PHM?

Seriously though your presumption that you are the only Hearts fan that travels home and away is a bit bizarre.

avhudtheteeshirt

Tam Cowan at the weekend gave a good insite into diving, with his comments about Robert Snodgrass's dive for Hull City.

While he was quick to apologise after being caught on camera for cheating, Tam remarked that it would have been more acceptable if he had said to the ref that it was not a penalty at the time!

To take it further Tam said that on the other foot if he does the same for Scotland in their next game, will those who are up in arms about diving will accept it as it may make us progress in our group!!!!

In other words if you get it take it, if you don't just moan about it and hope you get the next one???

I am sitting in my house just now and glad you got to Dens early = PHM?

Seriously though your presumption that you are the only Hearts fan that travels home and away is a bit bizarre.

Not once have I said, or implied, that I am the only Hearts fan who travels home and away.

Regarding your comment about me posting a pic of tickets for a game, somebody asked me to prove I was going by uploading a pic, I duly did and consequently the boy felt a bit daft.

as others have pointed out, he did not dive on Saturday but you have your agenda so will not let facts get in the way

And others have said he did... what's your Agenda?

What about defenders who do a pressley as soon as they are running towards their own goal and feel a player breathe down their necks and go down like a sack of spuds? Is that cheating?

Think we need to be careful. Also pretty sure if he'd won a free kick which we scored from it wouldn't matter as much to some.

I'd settle for the occasional tumble if he would up his effort on the pitch.

Pressley was good at that. Stopped a good few attacks.

And others have said he did... what's your Agenda?

are you going to answer the question about is certain types of cheating ok, that has been asked to you and highlighted by others or are you going to avoid it?

are you going to answer the question about is certain types of cheating ok, that has been asked to you and highlighted by others or are you going to avoid it?

I missed that.... I don't think any forms of cheating are ok.

I missed that.... I don't think any forms of cheating are ok.

Any? Including the examples I gave, which was requoted above?

I will add to it.

What about stealing a yard or two for a throw or free kick?

Or a keeper pretending to be treated so a teammate who did get treatment does not need to go off?

Or in the case of Alexander last season, pretend to be injured so the game can't restart and we have more time to treat the injured player (Paterson, I think)?

You must not enjoy football if that is the case, as the cheating and attempted cheating in games must go into double figures all the time.

Archived