Cathro and MacPhee press conference

tartofmidlothian

Just listened to their press conference on Hearts TV, and to say I am excited would be an understatement.

Yes it's going to take time, as these things naturally do, but the way both men spoke about what they will bring to the table should get every Hearts fan buzzing for what lies ahead.

Every Hearts player should embrace the new management team and what changes they'll bring to training, because they will become far better players and hopefully winners.

Certainly don't see where the "no personality" comments have come from. Both seem pretty lively and confident to me!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scott herbertson

Certainly don't see where the "no personality" comments have come from. Both seem pretty lively and confident to me!

No personality = not been seen down at the bookies, the pub or the chippie 

Don't think anyone would say that Neilson didn't do a decent job. Winning the Championship at a canter was an excellent experience and he probably did deserve to carry on into the next season where we did eventually do enough to get to the euro qualifications but since January this year there was something not right with the players from what I could see. The football became boring, there was too much tinkering with the squad, players who looked really promising when they arrived became ordinary and looked bored in some games, Juanma became lack-lusture, Kitchen started well then looked uninterested, Djoum didn't know if he was to attack or pass, Sammon was always going to be a waste of time and Watt looked hungry and wanted to attack wherever he could then looked like he'd lost all confidence. A few were treated pretty badly by whoever, Billy King, Neil Alexander to name just two. I thought that at the start of the season we should've made a managerial change. I felt we were not going to improve on third this season with Neilson still at the helm. The amount of points we have dropped by teams with much smaller budgets therefore less quality is abysmal, we should be hanging onto Celtic's coat-tails, much much closer to them than we actually are. It's a shame that it took Neilson and Crawford until the end of November to find a system that suited our players. The Motherwell and Rangers games were good attacking traditional Hearts displays and it should've been enough to see off Ross County on Saturday (why doesn't Ozturk ever get to take penalties? Has anyone ever saw a goalkeeper make a clean catch from one of his freekicks or strikes from outside the box?) Back on point, the time was right for Neilson to move on. I thought that at the start of the season we would be languishing around 4th to 6th, I still think we would've been around there somewhere if Neilson stayed on, however, at the moment we are in third and should have more points than we have, hopefully Cathro will come in with fresh ideas and take us onto the next step and we won't be losing or drawing with pish like Hamilton and others.

mainstandjambo

Totally agree with you. Cathro came over as someone who had a sense of humour and was not what I had perceived him to be. Very excited about the long term future.

BBC reporting Scotland, heavily featuring Celtic's dead-rubber clash tonight as the lead sport story of the day...

BBC reporting Scotland, heavily featuring Celtic's dead-rubber clash tonight as the lead sport story of the day...

We'll just have to rely on results to get attention

BBC having a wee dig with the 'having failed to make it as a player'. Isn't it a bit more gracious to say 'his playing career didn't quite take off' or similar? Knobbers.

Pat Bonner on Sportsound a wee bit ignorant as well

"He doesn't have time to get to know the players"

Tom English answering him back a bit

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Maybe been mentioned already but both of these guys are good news for our succession policy. Apart from the knowledge and skills they bring, MacPhee could easily step up to head coach and either could step up to DOF.

Scott McDonald saying he would have preferred John Daly as No 2 as he played football.

Missing that Austin MacPhee played football.

Guess The Crowd

Totally agree with you. Cathro came over as someone who had a sense of humour and was not what I had perceived him to be. Very excited about the long term future.

This. After the furore of the last few days, I really didn't know what to expect whenever I first heard him speak. But hugely impressed by that interview.

No social skills, you say, Fullarton?

August Landmesser

BBC having a wee dig with the 'having failed to make it as a player'. Isn't it a bit more gracious to say 'his playing career didn't quite take off' or similar? Knobb

Pat Bonner on Sportsound a wee bit ignorant as well

"He doesn't have time to get to know the players"

Tom English answering him back a bit

Bonner being hugely ignorant too, and Wille Miller... Not an iota of research or imagination between them. Jesus, dinosaurs leeching my licence fee...

i wish jj was my dad

Scott McDonald also calling out Miller and Bonner for the dinosaurs they are.

Really, we should know our place according to these clowns. 

why doesn't Ozturk ever get to take penalties? Has anyone ever saw a goalkeeper make a clean catch from one of his freekicks or strikes from outside the box?

Most keepers aren't 15 foot tall tbf

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Scott McDonald also calling out Miller and Bonner for the dinosaurs they are.

Really, we should know our place according to these clowns.

Anyone knows if this will be available to listen to later on Iplayer?

Just seen some of Cathro's comments during the press conference and have to say I'm impressed. Really liked what he had to say and the passion that he clearly has for football. One things for sure, nobody will be working harder to make this a success than Cathro himself.

tartofmidlothian

This. After the furore of the last few days, I really didn't know what to expect whenever I first heard him speak. But hugely impressed by that interview.

No social skills, you say, Fullarton?

Search for his older interviews online, he's never less than impressive.

Just listening to Barry Backpass on Sportsound from last night - why do they still bang on about not being able to pick the team? Tit

scott herbertson

Just listening to Barry Backpass on Sportsound from last night - why do they still bang on about not being able to pick the team? Tit

It's the standard response of people scared because they can't contemplate life without a manager angrily shouting at the players telling them what to do

alwaysthereinspirit

BBC having a wee dig with the 'having failed to make it as a player'. Isn't it a bit more gracious to say 'his playing career didn't quite take off' or similar? Knobbers.

Rogers and Warburtons were some players in their day. We'll just have to get used to it. There were a couple dumb questions asked at the press conference. Truth is the media don't know how to handle this. Way way outside their comfort zone.

Dagger Is Back

It's way too easy to talk a good game. IC has just said exactly what the fans want to hear.

Far more difficult to deliver with budget constraints etc. You know what though, even as a guy whose cup is regularly half empty, I'm excited.

When you get proper pros, not arseholes like Boyd, Bonner or Miller, praising IC, then you realise we've captured someone with a huge amount of potential.

Well onboard the Hearts train after months of being disillusioned with some of our performances.

It's not going to be plain sailing but it sounds like we're going to be playing the game the way it should be played.

Will be fascinating to see their squads over the next few weeks.

Come on Hearts!!!!

kingantti1874

It's like a comfort blanket to the thick weegie arseholes.. radio Scotland combines the worst of Glasgow with a couple of sheep shaggers who are sore that we breasted them for 25 years, though they were back in the limelight and are now realising that they will Not be able to compete on a level playing field with HMFC in future.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

It's way too easy to talk a good game. IC has just said exactly what the fans want to hear.

Far more difficult to deliver with budget constraints etc. You know what though, even as a guy whose cup is regularly half empty, I'm excited.

When you get proper pros, not arseholes like Boyd, Bonner or Miller, praising IC, then you realise we've captured someone with a huge amount of potential.

Well onboard the Hearts train after months of being disillusioned with some of our performances.

It's not going to be plain sailing but it sounds like we're going to be playing the game the way it should be played.

Will be fascinating to see their squads over the next few weeks.

Come on Hearts!!!!

The fact is if we signed some 50 year old Scottish dinosaur not one **** would have been given. It's quite obvious they feel threatened by Cathro and that's the biggest complement they could have paid him. They want the duopoly back and they want it now. Anyone that endangers that will be treated with hostility.

This is exactly the kind of reaction we wanted.

Psychedelicropcircle

If these two take to management as confidently as their first press conference...

Dagger Is Back

The fact is if we signed some 50 year old Scottish dinosaur not one **** would have been given. It's quite obvious they feel threatened by Cathro and that's the biggest complement they could have paid him. They want the duopoly back and they want it now. Anyone that endangers that will be treated with hostility.

This is exactly the kind of reaction we wanted.

This in spades. They can all continue to have a go as far as I'm concerned. They can ridicule and pour scorn as much as they want. Bring it on.

We've been far too quiet as a support for long enough. We need to be as 1 again. As we were when given that 15 point deduction. Making Tynie a noisy, hostile, **** your environment.

We've upset the status quo and they don't like it.

Time for us as fans to help twist the knife.

August Landmesser

This in spades. They can all continue to have a go as far as I'm concerned. They can ridicule and pour scorn as much as they want. Bring it on.

We've been far too quiet as a support for long enough. We need to be as 1 again. As we were when given that 15 point deduction. Making Tynie a noisy, hostile, **** your environment.

We've upset the status quo and they don't like it.

Time for us as fans to help twist the knife.

This. 100% this.

Fortress Tynie.

What's this constant dinosaur pish? Lol

It doesn't matter what age or era, there's good and bad managers from all.

If the argument is age then the best managers around must be anything over 45, 50 years old, esp in England.

Mourinho, Klopp, Wenger and the not so long ago retired Fergie. Redknapp revitalised Spurs 6 years ago. Ancellotti......bla blah blah...

What's this constant dinosaur pish? Lol

It doesn't matter what age or era, there's good and bad managers from all.

If the argument is age then the best managers around must be anything over 45, 50 years old, esp in England.

Mourinho, Klopp, Wenger and the not so long ago retired Fergie. Redknapp revitalised Spurs 6 years ago. Ancellotti......bla blah blah...

Dinosaur is a reference to the age of the methods rather than the managers. There have been plenty forward thinkers going back a long time such as Cruyff and even Jimmy Hill. Totally agree that you don't need to be young to be progressive - it just happens we are the first clubs brave enough to give these guys the opportunity.

Robbie has moved on, his career to take a different direction, but as a new young coach/manager mentality, best wishes to him, he will do well.

Craig Levein could have been all over that press conference, the coup he has achieved here is ground breaking.

Fair play to the man, "c'mon you two", I've done my job, got you here, now you get on with it ! and he goes back into the back ground supporting them in whatever they need.

The lack of ego worshiping at Tynecastle is phenomenal, from Ann to Robbo mixing with fans, everything about the club is positive for the good of the club, not individuals.

Crikey, JC looking like Ian Holm in one of the photos there!

I didn't realise JC was involved :(. Watch all our signings appear from Key Sports Management.

I P Knightley

What's Willie Miller saying?

A load of tired old predictable dross.

He topped it off with an opinion that Cathro was wrong to have said there were no limits. In Miller's tiny mind, that meant that Hearts supporters would start to believe unbelievable things. When the others on the show tried to talk sensibly about this, he really started to lose it.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

A load of tired old predictable dross.

He topped it off with an opinion that Cathro was wrong to have said there were no limits. In Miller's tiny mind, that meant that Hearts supporters would start to believe unbelievable things. When the others on the show tried to talk sensibly about this, he really started to lose it.

This is the guy who is on record multiple times bigging up Alex Ferguson for making that Aberdeen team believe they could win before they did. Senile old fart.

smart cookies, Fidel and Nanny

Cathro certainly lends itself to the cooler nickname.

We could have always gone for Powers for Austin

Archived