Cathro and MacPhee press conference

tartofmidlothian

marshallschunkychicken

What was he asked that prompted that response?

If I recall correctly, it was along the lines of 'will you be picking the team or will it be Levein?'.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is interesting. Some corners of the Neilson OOT went completely OTT in their criticism, and when they got their own way and he left I got the feeling some were feeling a little sheepish and silly when they saw so much praise for him coming from pretty much everywhere else. Then we sign Cathro and suddenly it's like someone has flicked the switch again. They're all empowered and bullish, effectively demanding praise for something achieved by Craig Levein. I'm going to assume it's all just an expression of sheer relief that after all that fuss we didn't end up with Calderwood and Boyd or similar. :biggrin:

I don't see it that way in the slightest. Were people right to have concerns? I think so. Were people also right to think it appropriate that Robbie was given time? I believe they were. Is it great that we have two new and exciting coaches? Absolutely. Is there any way of knowing if we'll fare better this season with Cathro and MacPhee than we would've done with Neilson and Crawford? Of course not. Is the outcome satisfactory for all parties? Seems to be, so far anyway!

Levein should be claiming this as a win, not warring factions of Hearts supporters. It's lame.

Some corners went OTT in their criticism ? If by that you mean the plane boys then yes agreed. If you mean other fans venting frustrations and annoyance since last season then your completely out of tune with the fans feelings at games. It's all about opinions at the end of the day. Many people have the opinion Neilson was not the man capable of taking us onto the next level. By same token some people felt he was capable. That's opinion and can't be proven either way. However in just a few short hours Cathro has done more and said more to excite the fans than Neilson has done since winning the Championship. He has a far more positive go get em attitude than Neilson has, he is talking about things Neilson never spoke about. Obviously the prof will be in the pudding but I'm totally confident if even half his enthusiasm and positivity is transferred to the players we will be watching a far different team and attitude.

As for bad run of results, all teams have blips at times, is that a reason to call for a managers head ? No, and I very much doubt anyone will be doing so if or when it happens. I'm fairly sure though we'll have the usual trolling by the Robbie brigade on the first defeat with threads being started sarcastically asking if the "Haters" want Cathro out. Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or put it another way.

I know exactly who the lynch mob will be if we don't get a decent run of results quickly and I already know what they'll be saying.

Anyway apart from a bizarre recent upsurge in the angry mob appearing to believe that they are entirely vindicated by something that none of them proposed to be the solution to their angst, there is a vaguely pleasant unity on here for a change.

Let's hope this continues past 3pm on Saturday.

I won't hold my breath....

I think what has happened is that the outgoing coach has been replaced by something a bit more fresh and exciting. Both sides or the RN argument wanted that to some degree. I don't think anyone dreamed or proposed that the solution be as radical as it has been. And I also think most people (on both sides of the RN debate) realise its a gamble that might not work. This is what has unified the place to a certain extent.

However, the consequences of failure are the same, no matter what brought you here and what your philosophy is.Some peoples judgement on when failure is complete and sackable will be different to others.

For now though, most seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet again, and that's a good thing and easy to enjoy whilst it lasts. You wouldn't have got that unity signing a more mainstream dinosaur coach that's for sure.

These 2 make Robbie Neilson look like a complete muppet to be fair lol.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh FFS...................lol

I was never his biggest fan but I think it's time to drop the neilson bashing. He did a job left us in 2nd and it's a new era now. So personally he goes with my best wishes and let's leave it at that.

We_are_the_Hearts

I was never his biggest fan but I think it's time to drop the neilson bashing. He did a job left us in 2nd and it's a new era now. So personally he goes with my best wishes and let's leave it at that.

Fully agree

Improving what and how the head coaches /managers speak publicly is very welcome.

Apart from anything else it's an opportunity to engage with the fans. Welcome.

Some corners went OTT in their criticism ? If by that you mean the plane boys then yes agreed. If you mean other fans venting frustrations and annoyance since last season then your completely out of tune with the fans feelings at games. It's all about opinions at the end of the day. Many people have the opinion Neilson was not the man capable of taking us onto the next level. By same token some people felt he was capable. That's opinion and can't be proven either way. However in just a few short hours Cathro has done more and said more to excite the fans than Neilson has done since winning the Championship. He has a far more positive go get em attitude than Neilson has, he is talking about things Neilson never spoke about. Obviously the prof will be in the pudding but I'm totally confident if even half his enthusiasm and positivity is transferred to the players we will be watching a far different team and attitude.

As for bad run of results, all teams have blips at times, is that a reason to call for a managers head ? No, and I very much doubt anyone will be doing so if or when it happens. I'm fairly sure though we'll have the usual trolling by the Robbie brigade on the first defeat with threads being started sarcastically asking if the "Haters" want Cathro out. Etc

Good points Rudi.

Focusing on the positive will help the club be successful

Or put it another way.

I know exactly who the lynch mob will be if we don't get a decent run of results quickly and I already know what they'll be saying.

Anyway apart from a bizarre recent upsurge in the angry mob appearing to believe that they are entirely vindicated by something that none of them proposed to be the solution to their angst, there is a vaguely pleasant unity on here for a change.

Let's hope this continues past 3pm on Saturday.

I won't hold my breath....

Agreed. I've really enjoyed reading the forum over the last few days. Twitter too, actually. The online Hearts community has been awfy entertaining and there's been some really good discussion.

That's not to say everyone has agreed, but there's definitely been a shift in terms of people moving out of their entrenched positions to be a little more diplomatic in their approach.

It's hard not to get dragged back in - I found myself doing it twice today and it'll probably happen again - but hopefully we'll have proper football related stuff to discuss soon enough instead.

Need to try and rein in my optimism just a little though. This press conference had me dreaming of all sorts of wildly unrealistic things. It's hard not to get carried away when there's been such a build up for this pair.

Forgive me I have searched but can't find a link for the full press conference, does anyone have one?

On Hearts TV now for subscribers..

Forgive me I have searched but can't find a link for the full press conference, does anyone have one?

It'll probably only end up being available on Hearts TV. It's there now if you're a subscribed user.

Agreed. I've really enjoyed reading the forum over the last few days. Twitter too, actually. The online Hearts community has been awfy entertaining and there's been some really good discussion.

That's not to say everyone has agreed, but there's definitely been a shift in terms of people moving out of their entrenched positions to be a little more diplomatic in their approach.

It's hard not to get dragged back in - I found myself doing it twice today and it'll probably happen again - but hopefully we'll have proper football related stuff to discuss soon enough instead.

Need to try and rein in my optimism just a little though. This press conference had me dreaming of all sorts of wildly unrealistic things. It's hard not to get carried away when there's been such a build up for this pair.

Nothing is unrealistic anymore boyo. We're going to win the champions league!

scott herbertson

well said

tartofmidlothian

I'll be clearer, he was up to the job of keeping us treading water, he wasn't up to the job of taking us forward onto the next level. Obviously given the soundbites that's come out and some words and language used from Hearts and now Cathro expectations are higher than what others felt we would achieve under Neilson. Possible why he was allowed to go so easily with good wishes. Hope that's made it clearer?

:thumbsup:

scott herbertson

Nothing is unrealistic anymore boyo. We're going to win the champions league!

Other than thinking of RedM as 'boyo', I agree!

Bazzas right boot

If I recall correctly, it was along the lines of 'will you be picking the team or will it be Levein?'.

"I dunno, I'll need to ask Craig" would have been a tremendous answer.

Footballfirst

It was an impressive introduction to the pair. There doesn't appear to be much downside to the appointments but a whole lot of upside if things go to plan.

Also, Cathro chatted for about 3 days and said a million different interesting things this morning....MacPhee too, and what do The Sun tweet with their links? 

"Ian Cathro makes it clear HE will pick the team at @JamTarts.. not Craig Levein "

Because despite being told at least 86413 times, they're STILL not clear on what a DoF is. So very tiresome.

Bazzas right boot

Time will tell.

Results on the park matter, this is exciting, but nothing has been achieved yet.

Bashing our cup winning manager who skelped the championship, finished third last year and left us second is poor and is not Hearts fan behaviour.

Bazzas right boot

Also, Cathro chatted for about 3 days and said a million different interesting things this morning....MacPhee too, and what do The Sun tweet with their links?

"Ian Cathro makes it clear HE will pick the team at @JamTarts.. not Craig Levein "

Because despite being told at least 86413 times, they're STILL not clear on what a DoF is. So very tiresome.

The press are a joke.

I'll be clearer, he was up to the job of keeping us treading water, he wasn't up to the job of taking us forward onto the next level. Obviously given the soundbites that's come out and some words and language used from Hearts and now Cathro expectations are higher than what others felt we would achieve under Neilson. Possible why he was allowed to go so easily with good wishes. Hope that's made it clearer?

How does that tie in with you referring to our manager as a "shower of shite" and a "buffoon" and saying he didn't even have the tactical ability to shite down the toilet properly? :whistling:

"Ian Cathro makes it clear HE will pick the team at @JamTarts.. not Craig Levein "    

Just makes you tear your fecking hair out dunt it ? Why even pose that question FFS. Is this the question he answered 'Do you think that's a valid question' Fecking muppets !!!

How does that tie in with you referring to our manager as a "shower of shite" and a "buffoon" and saying he didn't even have the tactical ability to shite down the toilet properly? :whistling:

pmsl

No ones told you this is 'bury the hatchet' day then ?

'Aye but you want rid of neilson but who would you want to replace him with?'

These guys.

:jjyay:

I remember asking thst question and the only names I got were tommy wright and peter houston.

I said cathro would be the best like for like replacement while the robbie oot mob - almost to a man - wanted experience. No idea whst they think now as most have gone awfy quiet.

It's unfortunate that this press conference isn't available for people to view without paying. Think Hearts should have made it free to view to allow the whole support to get behind the new management team. It's also ridiculous that the BBC, STV or SKY aren't showing this, if it had been one of the Glasgow clubs it would have got full coverage. I believe there are plenty people all over Scotland, and not necessarily Hearts fans, who would have been interested in what these guys had to say.

It's unfortunate that this press conference isn't available for people to view without paying. Think Hearts should have made it free to view to allow the whole support to get behind the new management team. It's also ridiculous that the BBC, STV or SKY aren't showing this, if it had been one of the Glasgow clubs it would have got full coverage. I believe there are plenty people all over Scotland, and not necessarily Hearts fans, who would have been interested in what these guys had to say.

It was free to view for hours. I watched it on stv facebook.

tartofmidlothian

Now I like you tart mate but it's quite ridiculous that any hearts fan would say they were bored by qualifying for Europe two seasons on the trot.

How many times have we done that?

That's ******* successful in our history.

This is where part of the problem lies.

You're right, any European qualification's a big deal and deserves praise. I just mean the last 18 months show us we shouldn't have expected a cup run or to cut down on silly points dropped here and there, which might have helped narrow the gap at the top. It was the perfect time for Neilson to go and it's the perfect time for Cathro to come in, no regrets.

It was free to view for hours. I watched it on stv facebook.

I was nightshift so wasn't awake until one, I'm sure there are plenty other at work today that would like to see it when they get home. Hopefully someone shows it.

tartofmidlothian

It's a fair point, they must want to build subscriptions and who can blame them? I reckon big interviews like this could be put up for free 24 hours after subscribers get them, maybe.

tartofmidlothian

This is interesting. Some corners of the Neilson OOT went completely OTT in their criticism, and when they got their own way and he left I got the feeling some were feeling a little sheepish and silly when they saw so much praise for him coming from pretty much everywhere else. Then we sign Cathro and suddenly it's like someone has flicked the switch again. They're all empowered and bullish, effectively demanding praise for something achieved by Craig Levein. I'm going to assume it's all just an expression of sheer relief that after all that fuss we didn't end up with Calderwood and Boyd or similar. :biggrin:

I don't see it that way in the slightest. Were people right to have concerns? I think so. Were people also right to think it appropriate that Robbie was given time? I believe they were. Is it great that we have two new and exciting coaches? Absolutely. Is there any way of knowing if we'll fare better this season with Cathro and MacPhee than we would've done with Neilson and Crawford? Of course not. Is the outcome satisfactory for all parties? Seems to be, so far anyway!

Levein should be claiming this as a win, not warring factions of Hearts supporters. It's lame.

It's worked out perfectly, I'd say. Neilson did very good work, seemed to have levelled off towards the end and went into a job he seems happy with while everyone sings his praises. It happened at the right time for us to snap up the two brightest young coaches in the country. Ideal for all concerned.

Agreed 100%. Robbie Neilson was a fantastic manager for Heart of Midlothian. Delighted we got him in and also pretty happy he has moved on now, onwards and upwards hopefully

Bridge of Djoum

Iv just creamed myself at this new ambitious team with NO LIMITS,

Robbie ...sorry but you were pish really compared to this mindset.,

we are going to win the league.

Just stop with this pish.

Get over it, move on. 

Bridge of Djoum

Haha.. People thought Neilson would be irreplaceable.. I'll be honest I'd never heard much of MacPhee before last weekend.. but now he is in then I think we have signed two really forward thinking coaches with huge confidence in themselves which will hopefully translate to the team..

Of course they are no guarantee but I am massively excited about this route the club has chosen..

One chapter has closed and I'm hopefully that a really exciting one is just beginning..

Hopefully the players buy into it and we move forward together..

Absolutely no one thought this. 

Your agenda is complete, Robbie moved on, maybe you could?

scott herbertson

Absolutely no one thought this. 

Your agenda is complete, Robbie moved on, maybe you could?

Maybe Ann Budge did, but luckily she found another one just like him

Budge said the pair reminded her of Neilson and his assistant Stevie Crawford, who guided Hearts out of the Championship in their first season at the helm.

"I used to say about Robbie that I was impressed with his intelligence, his understanding of the game, his work ethic, and these two young men are in exactly the same mould," Budge said.

::troll:::'>

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh FFS...................lol

Lets see if they can back up a very articulate interview over the next few seasons....time will tell.

It's worked out perfectly, I'd say. Neilson did very good work, seemed to have levelled off towards the end and went into a job he seems happy with while everyone sings his praises. It happened at the right time for us to snap up the two brightest young coaches in the country. Ideal for all concerned.

Well, it looks that way at the moment. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating though, and we'll need to wait a little longer to see how that goes.

Fingers and toes crossed that it is a milestone tale with a happy ending.

Just listened to their press conference on Hearts TV, and to say I am excited would be an understatement.

Yes it's going to take time, as these things naturally do, but the way both men spoke about what they will bring to the table should get every Hearts fan buzzing for what lies ahead.

Every Hearts player should embrace the new management team and what changes they'll bring to training, because they will become far better players and hopefully winners.

August Landmesser

:spoton:

Archived