Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts Heritage

• martoon

• Morgan

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jimbojumbojambo

I recall the late Alan Gordon being asked on the radio for his forecast for this match. He predicted a Hibs win but suggested that Hearts were improving and might well gain the upper hand in this fixture in the future. Well he certainly got the second part right.

51 minutes ago, jimbojumbojambo said:

I recall the late Alan Gordon being asked on the radio for his forecast for this match. He predicted a Hibs win but suggested that Hearts were improving and might well gain the upper hand in this fixture in the future. Well he certainly got the second part right.

It felt like ( and was ) the turning of a major corner after the horrors of the 70s. 

56 minutes ago, jimbojumbojambo said:

The day before in the EEN Stewart Brown predicted that Hearts wouldn't lose.

He was right, too. For the next four years. 😅

On 05/09/2017 at 12:27, TexasAndy said:

It's a real shame that there was never any video coverage of this game at all.  Having said that it adds to the magic of the occasion for those of us lucky enough to have been there.  I remember glaring at the Pink News that night just to make sure it had not all been a dream!!

I’ve always been disappointed that there were no cameras at the game. It was a wonderful goal and a tremendous game. It marked the start of years of domination and years of hurt we inflicted on them culminating in a cup final slaughtering many years later. For a guy who witnessed 0-7 I’ve been paid back for that day many times over. There are a few times we could have done 7 or more since then mind you. I remember one game at ER in particular when We were hammering them and JJ was signalling 7 with his hands to the players. May have been the Mercer derby.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

You sure DM?   I have it as 5 before 83.   Thing is, we weirdly seemed to play derbies away from

home more?

in the same period (53-83) we won  10 at Fester. Hibs rarely beat us on their own patch until the ill fated 70s period.  

1963 won 4-2

1973 won 4-1 &

1983 won 3-2. 

30 years worth but need to take into account the 4 seasons Hearts were out the Premier League and Hibs' one season.

There is of course is the odd Scottish Cup, Summer Cup and East of Scotland Shield games but our league record at Tynecastle in that period is one for the horrendous section. 

41 minutes ago, dannymack said:

1963 won 4-2

1973 won 4-1 &

1983 won 3-2. 

30 years worth but need to take into account the 4 seasons Hearts were out the Premier League and Hibs' one season.

There is of course is the odd Scottish Cup, Summer Cup and East of Scotland Shield games but our league record at Tynecastle in that period is one for the horrendous section. 

That’s 20

1 minute ago, The American said:

That’s 20

I know.... originally typed it on the phone and 3 victories in 20 years became 3 victories in 30 years. 

20 years worth becomes 30 years worth, seemingly its predictive text.

Started following hearts in 76 had not seen hearts beat hibs at tynecastle till that day what a game it was  had seen hearts win at Easter road a couple of times got my first tattoo that day down leith at 10 in morning great day only wish it was on tv still can still see Bones and Robbo's goals hitting the back of the net in my old memories of games

The White Cockade

Robbo’s best ever goal imo and a tragedy we can’t watch it over and over again

Jimmy Bone’s header was a beauty as well

N Lincs Jambo

That was my 2nd home derby victory. I was 20 years old. I was also at the 4-1 as a 10 year old in 73. To the fans who started after 83 the 3 home league victories in a 20 year period is hopefully something you will never have to endure. I have to say after the 4–1 in 73 and how the rest of that decade panned out I still had no idea how significant the 83 game would turn out. Thankfully I had the good fortune to witness most of it 😎

KC and the Sunshine band were number 2 in the charts with ' Baby Give It Up'.

Who would have thought we would be singing that song 29 years later at a cup final !

Nelly Terraces
4 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Robbo’s best ever goal imo and a tragedy we can’t watch it over and over again

Jimmy Bone’s header was a beauty as well

Absolutely agree re Robbos 1st goal that day, sublime finish. And the Flying Boneman was just something else! 

A game that literally had everything, a raucous Tynie packed to the rafters, us going behind twice but pulling it back then getting that amazing winner - drama, excitement, total joy & utter bedlam in our end.

Still rankles with me now the Glasgow Broadcasting Corporation could be ****ing bothered getting their outdoor broadcasting trucks off the bricks outside Ibrokes or Darkhead to cover the 1st Edinburgh league derby in 2 seasons, the fecking old firm sucking barstewards. Easily in my top 5 derbies of all time - it was utterly magnificent & totally unforgettable. 

FTH.

20 minutes ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

Who would have thought we would be singing that song 29 years later at a cup final !

Rendition of red red wine at half time, in the old shed etc, magic  "        great day and like many Derby days to come after it ......🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

My first Derby, 15 years old, in the shed, dusty as ****, atmosphere was outstanding. Remember the goals clear as day. Definitely my favourite Derby. Down Maggies Park with a bottle of cider and 2 cans of kestrel to celebrate. Good Times. 

A Shoreditch Heart

One of the best derbies ever and such a relief to beat them after suffering so many disappointments in the previous decade of supporting the Hearts. it's well documented that there were no cameras at the match, but does anyone know if it was covered by live BBC Radio Scotland - it would be great to hear any audio commentary if any exists?

I remember at the time thinking there must have been 30,000 at the game then found out in the papers the attendance was either 20,002 or 19,800 and being disappointed. These things were important to me back then.  

46 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

One of the best derbies ever and such a relief to beat them after suffering so many disappointments in the previous decade of supporting the Hearts. it's well documented that there were no cameras at the match, but does anyone know if it was covered by live BBC Radio Scotland - it would be great to hear any audio commentary if any exists?

Never thought of that before, but not likely. 

OF game that day so that probably got the last 5 mins of the first half then the 2nd on radio. Pretty sure there was a Dundee derby that day, United were champions, so our famous win would have been way down the pecking order. 

Actually recall emerging from the turnstiles, onto the school end and hearing a few disgruntled voices about the lack of cameras in the old Wheatfield gantry. 

They were at the next derby though. 

Took  non supporting friend to the game. We sat on the benches under the TV cameras which wernt there..I have it it in my head there were plenty of empty seats around us.

He was mesmerized as was I by the game. When Robbo scored hos first it was unbelievably mental. 

My first derby was a 1-1 game at ester Road in 76 then a defeat in the Scottish cup around 79. Think George Stewart might have scored their winning goal. 

But this was my first victory and they kept coming and coming after that. 

1 minute ago, cookieboy said:

aye ye done us no bad for a few year :wattie:

Tried my level best, Cookie.  :thumbsup:

25C7ACFC-AF95-4776-BF73-1FF07561DA57.jpeg

Was reminiscing with my now-Balerno-based chum who had come down to visit for the week and at this time of night we'd have been in Bentley's. 

If you were the bloke skipping to Malcolm McLaren's Double Dutch...it's time to 'fess up 😂😂😂😂

After the match it was the Diggers for me then a couple of pints in that wee pub in the same building as Victor Paris. After that my mate and I tried to get into the Heriot Watt Union on Chamber Street but refused entry. 🧐

11 minutes ago, Boof said:

Was reminiscing with my now-Balerno-based chum who had come down to visit for the week and at this time of night we'd have been in Bentley's. 

If you were the bloke skipping to Malcolm McLaren's Double Dutch...it's time to 'fess up 😂😂😂😂

London_Hearts
4 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Still rankles with me now the Glasgow Broadcasting Corporation could be ****ing bothered getting their outdoor broadcasting trucks off the bricks outside Ibrokes or Darkhead to cover the 1st Edinburgh league derby in 2 seasons, the fecking old firm sucking barstewards. Easily in my top 5 derbies of all time - it was utterly magnificent & totally unforgettable. 

FTH.

It was Fing runners that meant there was no cameras they were setting up to cover the Edinburgh Marathon or some such jogging event.

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

After the match it was the Diggers for me then a couple of pints in that wee pub in the same building as Victor Paris. After that my mate and I tried to get into the Heriot Watt Union on Chamber Street but refused entry. 🧐

Clancys - some boozer that

Montgomery Brewster
13 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

That was my 2nd home derby victory. I was 20 years old. I was also at the 4-1 as a 10 year old in 73. To the fans who started after 83 the 3 home league victories in a 20 year period is hopefully something you will never have to endure. I have to say after the 4–1 in 73 and how the rest of that decade panned out I still had no idea how significant the 83 game would turn out. Thankfully I had the good fortune to witness most of it 😎

I think people forget that we only played once at home each year. Plus there were a few 0-0’s in amongst that.

the famine before the feast of the next 30 years. Lovely. FTH

50 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Good memory. 👍

Ah remember that boozer! Used to nip in there for a few pints on the way down from the Golden Rule or the Fountain Bar. Any idea what year it closed? 

48 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Ah remember that boozer! Used to nip in there for a few pints on the way down from the Golden Rule or the Fountain Bar. Any idea what year it closed? 

Only ever in it on that day in ‘83 I’m afraid. 🤷🏼‍♂️

more a Polwarth Tavern man  What was the Rule’s previous name? 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Yea man bar

57 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Can't remember! I remember Clancy's being known as the Auld Store. 

Will always be the 3 - 2 game - cannae beat the feeling as I watched it live - used to stand on the fringe of the shed, just enough to keep what's left of my hair dry - even had a perm FFS ;)

Shanghai Hearts
On 03/09/2016 at 08:19, North Berwick Jambo said:

It was my first Derby game & I remember it like it was yesterday.

Same for me....it was bedlam when the winner went in, I was only 10. Some auld dear with an old tranny (transistor radio that is) picked me up and went metal....that was me hooked on the JT's...happy days😀

Edited by Shanghai Hearts

Montgomery Brewster
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Good memory. 👍

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

My mate owned the Polie and I stayed along the street from it. Needless to say it was my 2nd home. 

the old polie not the current reincarnation 

22 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Absolutely agree re Robbos 1st goal that day, sublime finish. And the Flying Boneman was just something else! 

A game that literally had everything, a raucous Tynie packed to the rafters, us going behind twice but pulling it back then getting that amazing winner - drama, excitement, total joy & utter bedlam in our end.

FTH.

That was the day I was finally convinced that  BBC Glasgow were a bunch of biased stewsrds of a bar.

Glad I was there! What a goal from Robbo.

If only I was sober at the game. I was in the Gold Tankard very early and all I can remember is celebrating the goals. I was standing under where the TV camera’s should of been. You’d of thought someone might of filmed the game.

16 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

If only I was sober at the game. I was in the Gold Tankard very early and all I can remember is celebrating the goals. I was standing under where the TV camera’s should of been. You’d of thought someone might of filmed the game.

No satellite tv then and no highlights apart from the two games that BBC and STV picked to show extended highlights of. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Robbo was the first player whose career I followed from start to finish. Remember feeling old when he retired. 

What is really crazy is, even if you accept Robbo was a one-off, we haven't produced a reliable first-team striker in 37 years. Maybe the key is a Jimmy Bone type alongside the youngster?

Edited by ToqueJambo

26 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Robbo was the first player whose career I followed from start to finish. Remember feeling old when he retired. 

What is really crazy is, even if you accept Robbo was a one-off, we haven't produced a reliable first-team striker in 37 years. Maybe the key is a Jimmy Bone type alongside the youngster?

Robbo was special. When he first started playing I always expected a goal or goal attempt every time he got the ball. 

46 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We’ve had some good frontmen but not with the talent to regularly find the net. How often can you remember Robbo ballooning a shot or missing the target even by a whisker?  I’m sure it happened but it was so rare you can’t remember. 

He was so natural, accurate and clinical.  He always seemed to make the goalie work.

You can maybe call on natural ability being the key but we worryingly seem to be coaching a different way and not developing an out and out number 9.  The way the game is played too, is causing this country in general to lose key elements in a players game.

You can look at midfielders aswell but that’s for another debate.  The game is becoming stale and predictable.   

Edited by Debut 4

1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

the wee man gave us so many magic moments :robboyas:

He did, Cookie.  👍

The perfect gentleman too.

:notworthy:

11 hours ago, Boof said:

Is that a confession, @maroonsgotop? :lol:

My two go-to tunes on Bentley's juke box were Rock the Casbah and Eton Rifles.

also loved both those songs from 2 of my favourite bands. I thought Double Dutch was a terrific track with fantastic skipping and  a great video

On 03/09/2020 at 19:13, rudeskaboyuk said:

OMG!!! The gratuitous 'dancing gals'. 🤭

"Na na na na na na na na na na na, Paulo Sergio, Sergio, Paulo Sergio-o-o" ... 👍