• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts Heritage

• martoon

• Morgan

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Magical day. Can still visualise jimmy bone connecting with that ball. My first derby victory

Seared into my mind too. I was in the lower part of the shed not far from the corner flag when Donald Park flighted in the cross. Rough advancing from his line to dive for the ball but big Jimmy getting his head to it first and...another wild, crazy 60 seconds in the shed.

yabadabadoo1874again

Where were you when you finished celebrating though?? Loved those days when a celebration meant that the next time your feet hit the ground you were 50 feet away from where you were before the ba went in!! Happy days!

Yes indeed!!! Terracing...those were the days !!!

Seared into my mind too. I was in the lower part of the shed not far from the corner flag when Donald Park flighted in the cross. Rough advancing from his line to dive for the ball but big Jimmy getting his head to it first and...another wild, crazy 60 seconds in the shed.

Big Jimmy wisnae actually that big.

It's just that we were wee!!

I think Robbo has his 2nd goal in this game as his best against hibs.

This was the beginning of a new era for me,derby domination and a new optimism started that day.

Stayed sober and ran the marathon the next day with a huge grin on my face.

I think Robbo has his 2nd goal in this game as his best against hibs.

This was the beginning of a new era for me,derby domination and a new optimism started that day.

Stayed sober and ran the marathon the next day with a huge grin on my face.

He does, but the first goal. The second was a wee tap in after a bad pass back. His first was probably the best goal I've ever seen.

He does, but the first goal. The second was a wee tap in after a bad pass back. His first was probably the best goal I've ever seen.

His first goal was his best ever for Hearts.

A what have I just witnessed moment.

Hearts Heritage

In the words of John Robertson
1st goal

"Without doubt my best derby goal and the added bonus of being my first ever premier league goal.
    It was a long kick from Henry Smith that I was lucky enough to take down in one touch over my right shoulder.
    I managed to turn inside Arthur Duncan by nut megging him and was then faced with Jackie MacNamara (snr) I slipped it through his legs too and then thought I would try and curl it left footed towards the far top corner where to my and Hearts fans delight it floated in just clipping the underside of the bar en route.
    The next minute or so was and still is a blur as I went mental!!!!"

2nd goal

We had just gone behind to Hibs for the second time and I remember chasing through a slightly over hit pass from Donald Park and was chasing Ally Brazil I took a chance he was going to pass it back to the keeper and exactly to plan/luck he did so under hitting it and allowing me to get there just in front of Alan Rough and I remember hammering it with my right foot goal wards Rough managed to get something on it which slowed it down taking it an eternity to sneak over the line despite a last ditch attempt by MacNamara followed again by mayhem

It's a real shame that there was never any video coverage of this game at all.  Having said that it adds to the magic of the occasion for those of us lucky enough to have been there.  I remember glaring at the Pink News that night just to make sure it had not all been a dream!!

It's a real shame that there was never any video coverage of this game at all. Having said that it adds to the magic of the occasion for those of us lucky enough to have been there. I remember glaring at the Pink News that night just to make sure it had not all been a dream!!

The lack of coverage has probably added to the mystique and legend of the game.

Murdo McLeod said something similar about Celtic's 4-2 title clinching win v. Rangers in 1979. No TV camera's on the night but around 30 years after the event footage taken by a fan surfaced. It's a bit grainy and wobbly but it would be magic if some Jambo, or even a disgruntled Hibby, had done something similar back in '83.

Unlikely, but you never know. :)

Edited by martoon

yabadabadoo1874again

The lack of coverage has probably added to the mystique and legend of the game.

Murdo McLeod said something similar about Celtic's 4-2 title clinching win v. Rangers in 1979. No TV camera's on the night but around 30 years after the event footage taken by a fan surfaced. It's a bit grainy and wobbly but it would be magic if some Jambo, or even a disgruntled Hibby, had done something similar back in '83.

Unlikely, but you never know. :)

Definitely has added to the mystique...Robbos goal like Eder v Scotland 1982...in my dodgy memory...overall it just might be my best ever Hearts game...pipping Bayern and that cup win...the planet's aligned that day...and some!!!

It's a real shame that there was never any video coverage of this game at all.  Having said that it adds to the magic of the occasion for those of us lucky enough to have been there.  I remember glaring at the Pink News that night just to make sure it had not all been a dream!!

This game was definitely filmed and I remember saying this many years ago. I recall looking to see if the TV vans were present and covering the game and they weren't at this one - but I remember looking up and seeing someone filming and wondered who it was and why they were filming. A look at the photo on the official Hearts Twitter page about this game showing the four TV boards above the snack bar reveals the one on the far left (as you look at picture) as being open and a video camera in situ. Would love to know who filmed this game? Someone, somewhere must know who filmed this game - maybe even Robbo himself might know who the film cameraman was?

yabadabadoo1874again

This game was definitely filmed and I remember saying this many years ago. I recall looking to see if the TV vans were present and covering the game and they weren't at this one - but I remember looking up and seeing someone filming and wondered who it was and why they were filming. A look at the photo on the official Hearts Twitter page about this game showing the four TV boards above the snack bar reveals the one on the far left (as you look at picture) as being open and a video camera in situ. Would love to know who filmed this game? Someone, somewhere must know who filmed this game - maybe even Robbo himself might know who the film cameraman was?

... a Zapbruder tape...the mystique deepens...!!! : )

Hearts Heritage

This game was definitely filmed and I remember saying this many years ago. I recall looking to see if the TV vans were present and covering the game and they weren't at this one - but I remember looking up and seeing someone filming and wondered who it was and why they were filming. A look at the photo on the official Hearts Twitter page about this game showing the four TV boards above the snack bar reveals the one on the far left (as you look at picture) as being open and a video camera in situ. Would love to know who filmed this game? Someone, somewhere must know who filmed this game - maybe even Robbo himself might know who the film cameraman was?

It was filmed for the first 50 minutes then the equipment stopped working, according to Robbo it caught fire!

It was filmed for the first 50 minutes then the equipment stopped working, according to Robbo it caught fire!

Thought the wee man might know. Suppose this solves the mystery then? what a scunner, as I kept on hoping to add this to my collection one day. One of the best derbies ever too. Doing the conga round the shed at the end! Ah the memories!

I think my first derby was at ER and Derek O Connor got a late equaliser. First point we'd got there in a while. Think this game was the next one after that. We went into these games as underdogs. Folk wouldn't credit that these days. 

He score the winner back in 1978 and a late winner in 1984, both games finished 1-2 .

Jimmy_McNulty

Magical day. Can still visualise jimmy bone connecting with that ball. My first derby victory

That is *the* memory for me too -- Bone just hung in the air in slow motion, what a header.

I was right behind the goal. What a game.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Robbo scores twice on his Derby debut to level the game twice. Jimmy bone scores the winner in a 3 2 thriller

21317921_10209829105670412_9556484094275

21231980_10209829105790415_4598193104111

21231577_10209829106150424_4064772459598

weren't all the hearts goals at the school end ?

top photo looks like it's going in at the gorgie road end?

weren't all the hearts goals at the school end ?

top photo looks like it's going in at the gorgie road end?

They were all scored at the school end. In the top photo Rough must have saved. Probably has it framed on his sitting room wall.

"My greatest moment against Hearts in the derby". :)

They were all scored at the school end. In the top photo Rough must have saved. Probably has it framed on his sitting room wall.

"My greatest moment against Hearts in the derby". :)

Martoon is spot on - all our goals were scored at the 'school end'. It was the start of a new period of dominance!

Must have been the 84 one. Strange I thought it was an equaliser. I'll never forget turning into Easter Road from Albion Road after and fans were doing a twirly. All you could see were Hearts scarves all the way to London Road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
Doctor FinnBarr

And what a feckin party afterwards, domination begins

Donination since the 80s I meant, I know we've owned more than once, FTH

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

And what a feckin party afterwards, domination begins

Donination since the 80s I meant, I know we've owned more than once, FTH

Just a tad too young to consume alcoholic refreshments for this game but the sing song on the bus going home was superb ! 

The Sunday Papers were bought as early as the local shop was opening. 

queensferryjambo

I am so lucky to have followed hearts from the 80s on. I never had to bear any of the suffering the fans had from the late 60s through the 70s. 

There have been a few bumps in the road but as a general rule we have absolutely smashed them in my supporting life.

:rudi::fth::leveinnaturalorder:

One of my favourite ever games.  In a strange way not having any video footage keeps this as the magic memory it was for those of us lucky enough to be there on the day.    Remember getting the Pink news to double check the result!!

One of the games from the 80's which still lives long in the memory bank ....

MODS - Update the title please (no longer 33 years)

👍

FTH

Wonderful day and I knew it would be page 1 again this morning. No surprise as everyone who witnessed it will always "remember, remember the 3rd of September".

It was a huge occasion after 4½ years without a competitive derby. I went from aged 10 in March 1979 (not allowed to attend derbies at that time) to 15 by the big day and, other than a Shield and Tom Hart Cup game in 1981 and '82, it was my first. 

We've won 61 derbies to their 30 since that morning, which is great, but, in a strange sort of way, not great enough. Far too many draws, way too many Hibs wins and so many missed opportunities to eclipse 0-7. 

That's the difference between us and them. If, in any given run of results, they're a win ahead they claim dominance. If it's level, or thereabouts, we call it a feckin disappointment.

Cheers to @dannymack and @Andy Black for the latest photos and reports. I'm thirsty for more, my friends.

Edited by martoon

The thing I always noticed about Jimmy Bone was that his shirt was soaking in sweat even during the pre match kick about. 

9 hours ago, dannymack said:

3rd victory at Tynecastle against Hibs in the league in 30 years ! 

UB40 were at No1 with Red Red Wine ouch !

Time has flew.

IMG_20180903_012659.jpg

FB_IMG_1599091688103.jpg

IMG_20180903_012425.jpg

FB_IMG_1494069366433.jpg

21231577_10209829106150424_406477245959884514_n.jpg

You sure DM?   I have it as 5 before 83.   Thing is, we weirdly seemed to play derbies away from

home more?

in the same period (53-83) we won  10 at Fester. Hibs rarely beat us on their own patch until the ill fated 70s period.