Oliver Burke - An in demand young Scot

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Think I read somewhere that it is Red Bull that own them but there's some German association rule against them changing the name for commercial reasons so they made it Rasenballball then shortened to RB to make people think it was red bull. Mines is limited knowledge someone may be able to expand but I think that's what happened.

Anyway on topic, never heard of the laddie but good to see a young Scottish player going for a decent sum. Forrest fans, the ones on Twitter anyway, seemed unhappy that he was off.

From reading on them, they are owned by the company who make Red Bull but as you say have to change the name.

RB Leipzig sound like a very interesting and potentially ideal club for Burke to join. First of all its the Bundisliga so he is playing in one of the top 4 leagues in the world. But RB Leipzig are also ambitious, they planned to get to the Bundisliga in 8 years and achieved it in 7 years from going from the 5th tier. Plus with them paying that much for him he will get a regular start which means he can only benefit his development. And if the report of Bayern Munich being interested in him, then if he does well in the same league as them they are more likely to sign him.

Plus it is always good to see a Scot move to a top league team outside the UK,

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Placid Casual

Think I read somewhere that it is Red Bull that own them but there's some German association rule against them changing the name for commercial reasons so they made it Rasenballball then shortened to RB to make people think it was red bull. Mines is limited knowledge someone may be able to expand but I think that's what happened.

Anyway on topic, never heard of the laddie but good to see a young Scottish player going for a decent sum. Forrest fans, the ones on Twitter anyway, seemed unhappy that he was off.

Good move for the lad.

Yes, RB Leipzig are not well liked in Germany (probably a bit of an understatement that). http://www.fearthewall.com/2016/8/9/12411684/watzke-supports-dortmund-fans-boycott-of-rb-leipzig-away-match

Good to see Oliver McBurnie scoring for Swansea too.

Few good players coming through if we (Scotland) can shake of the negative small time mentality and make the most of them

Ibrahim Tall

Hopefully the start of other promising Scottish players playing abroad again like the likes of Black, Mo Johnstone, Souness, McInally etc did in the past. If he's a success despite being 'produced' down south it could re-open that market for Scottish players and more importantly for Hearts and other SPL clubs to sell to rather than current English monopoly driving down prices.

rudi must stay

Good team to join tbh.

Clever from his agent, or possibly was his choice.

He was probably forced out by Forest. Moving to a new county to an unproven team is a strange move

Hopefully the start of other promising Scottish players playing abroad again like the likes of Black, Mo Johnstone, Souness, McInally etc did in the past. If he's a success despite being 'produced' down south it could re-open that market for Scottish players and more importantly for Hearts and other SPL clubs to sell to rather than current English monopoly driving down prices.

My thoughts too. Scottish players going for big fees lifts the perception of Scottish football generally. Even though he was a product of the system down south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting move. Hopefully works out for him. Could prove to be a better move than sitting on an epl bench

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

What the move also shows is never trust your boss/owner when he tells you that your 2 best players will not be allowed to leave the club.

Only yesterday the new manager was told he would not be leaving and recomended against any sale.....less than 24 hours later one of the 2 is gone with the other still a target for a few clubs and Forest fans are now told the money will help stabilise the club and bring in 2/3 players .

jamboinglasgow

Interesting article about RB Leipzig, explain why fans of other German clubs hate them, the clubs philosophy, how it is supported by (most of) the city, their impressive facilities and the incredible rise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/sports/soccer/bundesliga-rb-leipzig-red-bull.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

Sounds like they have incredible facilties and they look for players between 17 and 24 to sign and develop. Sounds more and more like an ideal move for Burke. 

Interesting article about RB Leipzig, explain why fans of other German clubs hate them, the clubs philosophy, how it is supported by (most of) the city, their impressive facilities and the incredible rise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/sports/soccer/bundesliga-rb-leipzig-red-bull.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

Sounds like they have incredible facilties and they look for players between 17 and 24 to sign and develop. Sounds more and more like an ideal move for Burke.

If the reported interest from Bayern does turn into an eventual move, being at one despised German club should prepare him for moving up to another.

Thanks for the link, very interesting read.

Good luck to the lad

Thanks for that, interesting article.

Hoffenheim were playing them today and held up a banner saying - "We want our throne back: Germany's most hated club."

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Hoffenheim were playing them today and held up a banner saying - "We want our throne back: Germany's most hated club."

Red Bull are like locusts. Completely ****ed the original club in Salzburg. Scum.

Yeah, only skim read the article, but I do find the apparent derision of RB Leipzig a wee bit bemusing. Hoffenheim basically bought their way to the top, and there are at least a couple of clubs bankrolled by massive companies (Wolfsburg and Leverkusen spring to mind).

I guess Red Bull being Austrian is another factor.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Yeah, only skim read the article, but I do find the apparent derision of RB Leipzig a wee bit bemusing. Hoffenheim basically bought their way to the top, and there are at least a couple of clubs bankrolled by massive companies (Wolfsburg and Leverkusen spring to mind).

Red Bull rebrand their clubs. Change shirt colours and all that. In Salzburg they basically acted as if their buy-out was year zero, erasing the club's previous history. As owners, they are soulless pieces of shit

jamboinglasgow

Dont know if you read the quote, but a fan of another rival club said that Hoffenheim are named Hoffenheim 1899, they have history, same with Wolfsburg and Leverkusen.

Guess the closest thing I could put it as is MK Dons (though RB bought over a 5th tier club rather than one with history and a decent fan base and moved them)

Red Bull rebrand their clubs. Change shirt colours and all that. In Salzburg they basically acted as if their buy-out was year zero, erasing the club's previous history. As owners, they are soulless pieces of shit

Yeah, fair dues. Realise that they've basically created this team by taking over another one in the process (although that team does still exist in some form).

Not really my bag as far as a football feel-good story goes, but not sure you get many of those, these days.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Yeah, fair dues. Realise that they've basically created this team by taking over another one in the process (although that team does still exist in some form).

Not really my bag as far as a football feel-good story goes, but not sure you get many of those, these days.

Most owners are generally passing through. Red Bull's MO seems to be to kill the old club.

Dont know if you read the quote, but a fan of another rival club said that Hoffenheim are named Hoffenheim 1899, they have history, same with Wolfsburg and Leverkusen.

Guess the closest thing I could put it as is MK Dons (though RB bought over a 5th tier club rather than one with history and a decent fan base and moved them)

Aye, read it all now. I guess Wolfsburg and Leverkusen were probably more formed as clubs for the local workers, rather than a new "franchise" type start ups.

I presume no one who has read the article is under any illusions of what RB actually stands for, in practical terms...

julienbrellier

this guy seems like the real deal. too early to confirm of course but he is as promising as we have had in recent times given hes 19 and clubs like munich and united are interested. I think we are slowly improving.  As much as I hate the wee **** griffiths is a fantastic player now and certainly EPL quality.  Snodgrass has made a great impact after a long spell out and we have Robertson also playing fantastic. Combine that with having 2 top keepers and some promising youth coming through in other positions and I would say we are at the beginning of something big.  And by big I mean actually qualifying for something.

Ibrahim Tall

this guy seems like the real deal. too early to confirm of course but he is as promising as we have had in recent times given hes 19 and clubs like munich and united are interested. I think we are slowly improving.  As much as I hate the wee **** griffiths is a fantastic player now and certainly EPL quality.  Snodgrass has made a great impact after a long spell out and we have Robertson also playing fantastic. Combine that with having 2 top keepers and some promising youth coming through in other positions and I would say we are at the beginning of something big.  And by big I mean actually qualifying for something.

2 top keepers?

Ibrahim Tall

Marshall and Gordon.  Hamilton in the not too distant future hopefully too

Gordon is done at the 'top' level, Rodgers has even realised that after a few weeks. Marshalls better but he's still a championship/lower premiership level keeper, along with McGregor we've got 3 decent goalkeepers but its not much better than that.

A_A wehatethehibs

Good move. He goes to Germany with the hopes of a hopeless football nation. Good luck Burke, be the chosen one. A top class player from Scotland, anybody born since the 1990s has never seen this. No pressure.

Anyone know how Jack Harper is getting on at Brighton? He's the kid that came through the Madrid youth setup and was meant to be the next big thing in Scottish football but have to say I've not hear anything of him since his move to Brighton.

Yep....If good enough then getting to tournaments regularly he'd be better off with them & I'd guess playing for England he'd also be more marketable off field as well.

What a load of unadulterated self-defeating crap. It's not harmed Gareth Bale playing for a wee country has it?

What a load of unadulterated self-defeating crap. It's not harmed Gareth Bale playing for a wee country has it?

Wales are good though, if I was Burke I'd be hoping I had some way of playing for England tbh. If he wants to play at the euros / world cup.

That's if he is good enough in the future.

Wales are good though, if I was Burke I'd be hoping I had some way of playing for England tbh. If he wants to play at the euros / world cup.

I'd be eligible to play for England as my Dad was born there (passioante Scot though) and never in a million years would it cross my mind to turn my back on Scotland to play for England for footballing reasons.

I'd seriously question anyone who sat and played for another country because they thought it would give them a better chance of playing 3 or 4 games every 2 years.

Wales are good largely because of Bale. They have other decent players, but without him they would have struggled to even qualify for the Euros.

I'm familiar with the anti-Scotland attitudes of some on this board, but openly hoping a promising young player will choose England? That's a whole new level of dickishness. Scotland have been crying out for a talisman player like Bale for decades. Not saying Burke will be anywhere close to that level, but if he were even half as good then he would make an enormous difference to Scotland's prospects.

To be honest, I'd argue that if you take Bale and Ramsay out of the equation, Wales are no better man-for-man than we are.

The difference, presumably, is the lift that having these world-class players gives the others.

Ibrahim Tall

To struggle through a group and get beat by an Iceland/USA etc every couple years? He'd be aswell pretending to be Irish like McGeady and McCarthy.

Anyone know how Jack Harper is getting on at Brighton? He's the kid that came through the Madrid youth setup and was meant to be the next big thing in Scottish football but have to say I've not hear anything of him since his move to Brighton.

Missed most of last season with injury I think. Playing for their 21s (or is it 23s now?) so hopefully makes an impact and gets in the 1sts soon. Don't think he's played for them yet

We badly need CHs and other than that I actually think we're not bad off. If Strachan were braver anyway.

Burke, Robertson, Tierney, Fulton, Paterson, Souttar, McGinn, Watt, Fraser, just off top of my head. And there are more.

Maroon Sailor

Wales are good largely because of Bale. They have other decent players, but without him they would have struggled to even qualify for the Euros.

I'm familiar with the anti-Scotland attitudes of some on this board, but openly hoping a promising young player will choose England? That's a whole new level of dickishness. Scotland have been crying out for a talisman player like Bale for decades. Not saying Burke will be anywhere close to that level, but if he were even half as good then he would make an enormous difference to Scotland's prospects.

This is why I think when a player becomes a professional one of the questions should be to declare what country they would like to represent if they have a choice.

Stops people like Martin O'Neill trying to pinch players for Ireland like Grealish of Aston Villa. These things should be sorted out straight away before International recognition comes calling.

Ibrahim Tall

This is why I think when a player becomes a professional one of the questions should be to declare what country they would like to represent if they have a choice.

Stops people like Martin O'Neill trying to pinch players for Ireland like Grealish of Aston Villa. These things should be sorted out straight away before International recognition comes calling.

The pinching was the other way around, Grealish played for Ireland since he was 16.

Cq9zsd-WAAAwAsW.jpg

Cq9zSBQXgAA0GFc.jpg

Classy statement for the young lad and you can tell he actually put it together (often statements from players you can tell the PR department constructed it)

Good luck to him.

fabienleclerq

Most owners are generally passing through. Red Bull's MO seems to be to kill the old club.

They've taken a club that was nowhere and invested in the team with a ?30 million complex etc. They have 20,000 season ticket holders and are the only top team in 150 miles so they will grow. I could understand the gripe if they weren't investing but they are, with tv cash and fan growth they'll be sustainable.

They've taken a club that was nowhere and invested in the team with a ?30 million complex etc. They have 20,000 season ticket holders and are the only top team in 150 miles so they will grow. I could understand the gripe if they weren't investing but they are, with tv cash and fan growth they'll be sustainable.

I don't really understand the gripe with them either - seem a really decent club.

He Who Cannot Be Named

I'd be eligible to play for England as my Dad was born there (passioante Scot though) and never in a million years would it cross my mind to turn my back on Scotland to play for England for footballing reasons.

I'd seriously question anyone who sat and played for another country because they thought it would give them a better chance of playing 3 or 4 games every 2 years.

Guiseppe Rossi

Nani

Deco

Edgar Davids

Eduardo

Simone Perrotta

Lilian Thuram

Mauro Cameronesi

John Barnes

Marcel Desially

Clarence Seedorf

Pepe

Veira

Klose

Eusabio.

Guiseppe Rossi

Nani

Deco

Edgar Davids

Eduardo

Simone Perrotta

Lilian Thuram

Mauro Cameronesi

John Barnes

Marcel Desially

Clarence Seedorf

Pepe

Veira

Klose

Eusabio.

Also Christian Vieri

fabienleclerq

Guiseppe Rossi

Nani

Deco

Edgar Davids

Eduardo

Simone Perrotta

Lilian Thuram

Mauro Cameronesi

John Barnes

Marcel Desially

Clarence Seedorf

Pepe

Veira

Klose

Eusabio.

Di stefano

fabienleclerq

I don't really understand the gripe with them either - seem a really decent club.

Looking to develop young players too.

Archived