Poor start

Bazzas right boot

siegementality

They're only bottom because we beat them.

Well given they've now played four games I think other teams might have had a hand in that as well. Indeed second bottom Partick's only win came against bottom club ICT.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
siegementality

I don't really understand the logic of the OP. If it was ridiculous to reach conclusions after two bad defeats, how then can you make assumptions after two good wins? Are you not just doing exactly the same thing? Is rushing to conclusions okay as long as you're supportive of the manager?

I think the complete irony of that is lost on some people.

Smart I reckon, there are times it's better to take a point rather than risk defeat and lose further ground on others. Due to rangers drawing and Aberdeen clearly losing, it was worth the risk to go for three points.

Not saying that hearts were set out to get a draw but at that point of the game it was time too decide whether to defend or attack.

I thought the substitutions were positive and intended to get 3pts rather than one. Well played, Robbie.

Ha-ha, sit down.

Good start, 2nd by next round of fixtures, yet folk wanted our manager sacked, moaned about the quality of signings and were frothing and slavering after St Johnstone beat us.

The rest of us knew better.

Well done us, the future is maroon.

Elimination by St Johnstone was atrocious in the circumstances despite you "knowing better"

Yesterday's result was more impressive than the 5-1 last week. We played some lovely stuff last week but that result yesterday showed nearly everything we were lacking away from home last season. We kept going, kept the tactics and formation positive and had that extra bit of quality, and luck, that big teams always carry. So much happier seeing us grind out that away win, makes me feel that we may, just may, have that little bit extra this year. Look at the difference Friday nights draw, with killie, has done to the mood at Ibrox. Had they ground a result out, they'd be clear at the top going into the old firm. Now rangers fans are looking at tough away matches against Celtic, Aberdeen and hearts. They are questioning their manager etc. It's all about that little bit extra quality over a season. Celtic done it at tynie, we done it yesterday. Totally over the moon with yesterday. Gorgie rule.

Rudolf's Mate

Smart I reckon, there are times it's better to take a point rather than risk defeat and lose further ground on others. Due to rangers drawing and Aberdeen clearly losing, it was worth the risk to go for three points.

Not saying that hearts were set out to get a draw but at that point of the game it was time too decide whether to defend or attack.

Totally understand the logic in what you're saying however at (I think) 55 mins when the subs were made in that situation consolidating a point should never have been an option. Nor do I think worrying what's going on around us should be. The seasons just started and at 1-1 away to anyone bar Celtic we should never be looking at walking away with a point. I admit that circumstances might dictate, such as being under cosh etc but we weren't.

Maybe that's why I'm no manager or coach though.

Yeah very good. Neilson and the team where 3 minutes away from running a gauntlet of abuse from the 2000 jambos there today.

They really need to try harder against this type of opposition.

It wouldnt have been 2000 as only a holes would have done it.

alicante jambo

Im delighted with the win.Delighted for the players and the 2000 odd fans that went and cheered the team on.Gathering a bit of momentum now 6 from 6 and a good chance of another 3 against hamilton.Were going in the right direction but yesterday was more than the 3 points.Tony watt got his 1st goal thats him off the mark nowhopefully he will start banging them in consistently.Well done the jts.

Getintaethem

The last two results have been good but let's be honest they are expected.. We should be picking up the 3 points in those games..

Neilson will have to win a lot more than that if he is to avenge the poor loss to Birkikara and getting pumped out by a St Johnstone team with our rejects..

People are rewriting the history books to say that St Johnstone are a great team and it's no disgrace we are losing to them.. They are a tinpot club playing in front of about 2000 fans.. They aren't nearly on our level.. Our shambles of a pre-season (possibly not Neilson's fault) was to blame for not being ready to win that game comfortably.. It's all very well the performances improving now but we are out two out of four competitions already..

I would say our squad is the 2nd best in the league at the moment (can probably thank Levein for that) so that is where we should be finishing..

I can only assume that the fact you are on the other side of the globe is the reason you think Levien built this squad. How many times in the last week have Neilson, Levien and even some of the players confirmed that RN is responsible for deciding who signs and who he wants in his squad. Is your hatred of Neilson so bad that you can't give him credit for what you call the second best squad in the league?

The games in the league this year have been very encouraging. Neilson came under critism at the tail end of last season due to our lack of attacking threat. He wasn't helped by losing Sow after the January window had shut. Juanma and Reilly didn't perform and we were toothless and in all honesty dull to watch. This window has been his first chance to rectify the attacking problems and he appears to have made a good job of it, he's made some tough decisions with regards to Juanma and Reilly and brought in some exciting attacking talent. Overall I'd say we've got the strongest squad now than we've had since we exited administration which shows me that we are continuing to improve.

I'm by no means saying that everything is perfect, Neison certainly needs to start doing better in cup competitions. The loss to Birkirkara was extremely poor and while St Johnstone's budget is a lot closer to ours than you're implying we should have closed out the game up there. We were poor in defence that night, but again Neilson made tough choices and dropped his captain. In the three games since we've only lost two goals.

The victory yesterday was a good result. I think some people underestimate some of the so called smaller teams in our league. The standard in the top league is far, far higher than the calibre of opposition we faced in the championship. It's not a guaranteed three points going to places like Firhill or McDermaid park, so I'm very happy taking maximum points in Glasgow yesterday. Just ask Mark Warburton how easy this league is. Despite being able to pay players 15-20k per week his team have struggled in every game they've played.

We're in a good place at the moment and have every chance to have a very good season. It's time for us to get behind the team and manager and give them the support they need.

lost in space

Yeah, definitely. Robbie and the back room staff wait around all day to hear the thoughts of you and a few moron pals of yours so they know what they need to do, that's it you've cracked it :cornette:

Despite childish comments like those above, the club was certainly aware of the unrest amongst the fans.  Ann Budge mentioned boo-ing \ Michael Stewart and Gary Mackays' comments were reported by the media.

CL \ RN and the players have commented and refuted claims about who is the "gaffer".  The fact that there has been a major change in the way we play may be co-incidental of course...............

Despite childish comments like those above, the club was certainly aware of the unrest amongst the fans. Ann Budge mentioned boo-ing \ Michael Stewart and Gary Mackays' comments were reported by the media.

CL \ RN and the players have commented and refuted claims about who is the "gaffer". The fact that there has been a major change in the way we play may be co-incidental of course...............

Or its the start of the season with new signings bedding in.....of course

JKB moaners taking credit for the wins now brilliant.

Next time we lose, we can blame them !

Job done !

lost in space

Next time we lose, we can blame them !

Job done !

Come on Boab - it is the happy-clappers fault when we lose - for accepting low standards.  Do try to keep up!

No, we'll be 2nd top after 5 games, that's ok if not good.

Asking for the manager to be sacked after 1 league game and 1 lc game isn't the same.

So, to answer, no it isn't the same.

Also if you look at performances across the league games not just the results you can see improvements on last season and also improvements generally, in particular with our attacking options.

Despite childish comments like those above, the club was certainly aware of the unrest amongst the fans. Ann Budge mentioned boo-ing \ Michael Stewart and Gary Mackays' comments were reported by the media.

CL \ RN and the players have commented and refuted claims about who is the "gaffer". The fact that there has been a major change in the way we play may be co-incidental of course...............

Neilson said before the end of last season we would change our style of play for this season.

All transfer window it is clear that the focus has been on attack minded players.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that we sorted our defence and midfield out last season but didn't quite get the attacking players that would drive us forward.

You don't build an all firing SPL team on our budget in one season.

Also you don't just decide on a player and sign them in a week. The process takes weeks or months.

So booing in a Europa game has changed **** all.

It was always known that we had to build the squad further. As any decent manager does you sort your defence and defensive players out first then your attack. This led to frustrations as regards performances last season but Rome wasn't built in a day.

People like you would have hounded Levein and/or Neilson out the club by now if our club hadn't had the strength of believe in what they are doing so people like you deserve no credit whatsoever for having no foresight or footballing wit.

Bazzas right boot

Elimination by St Johnstone was atrocious in the circumstances despite you "knowing better"

Atrocious!!!

This thread had brought out the dafties!

Atrocious, give me peace!

We'll be second by 1700 on the 10th, yet there was and are "Hearts" fans calling for the manager to be sacked.

That's "atrocious"!

As I say, these "fans" need to sit down n'shut up.

Bazzas right boot

Neilson said before the end of last season we would change our style of play for this season.

All transfer window it is clear that the focus has been on attack minded players.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that we sorted our defence and midfield out last season but didn't quite get the attacking players that would drive us forward.

Also you don't just decide on a player and sign them in a week. The process takes weeks or months.

It was always known that we had to build the squad further. As any decent manager does you sort your defence and defensive players out first then your attack. This led to frustrations as regards performances last season but Rome wasn't built in a day.

People like you would have hounded Levein and/or Neilson out the club by now if our club hadn't had the strength of believe in what they are doing so people like you deserve no credit whatsoever for having no foresight or footballing wit.

What he said.

Glad the moaning we did has been listened to. Glad we didn't all accept the crap we were watching.

This.

Lots of angry fans after our "euro campaign"...!!!

Well given they've now played four games I think other teams might have had a hand in that as well. Indeed second bottom Partick's only win came against bottom club ICT.

Partick have played 3 games.

Bazzas right boot

Jesus wept.

Some need to "support" another team.

Bazzas right boot

I think the complete irony of that is lost on some people.

Think the irony is lost on yourself tbh.

Im delighted with the win.Delighted for the players and the 2000 odd fans that went and cheered the team on.Gathering a bit of momentum now 6 from 6 and a good chance of another 3 against hamilton.Were going in the right direction but yesterday was more than the 3 points.Tony watt got his 1st goal thats him off the mark nowhopefully he will start banging them in consistently.Well done the jts.

I'd say about 75% of true fans cheering the team on and 25% abusing the players and Neilson. Some hearts 'fans' really are arseholes.

alicante jambo

I'd say about 75% of true fans cheering the team on and 25% abusing the players and Neilson. Some hearts 'fans' really are arseholes.

Was that yesterday mate?

Was that yesterday mate?

Yep, not even 10 minutes in and people behind the dugout screaming at Neilson, and I thought we'd started pretty well! People moaning about the team and tactics when it was the same 11 who won 5-1 the previous week, couldn't get my head round it.

Bazzas right boot

It's a shame.

Come on Boab - it is the happy-clappers fault when we lose - for accepting low standards.  Do try to keep up!

With you now.....apologies.

I forgot I was an acceptor of mediocrity.

The dross you spout on here is pretty insufferable, tbh :(

You didn't give your opinion.. At least I always give mine with a reason..

Maybe try that instead of just putting others down..

Yep, not even 10 minutes in and people behind the dugout screaming at Neilson, and I thought we'd started pretty well! People moaning about the team and tactics when it was the same 11 who won 5-1 the previous week, couldn't get my head round it.

Aye, heard some of it myself.

Some people in need of some carnal intimacy methinks !

alicante jambo

Ffs incredible aint it.7 goals in 2 games aswell.

We've beaten the bottom two teams in the league. In reality I'd expect any Hearts team to do that.

Part of the reason they are the bottom two sides is because we beat them.

Part of the reason they are the bottom two sides is because we beat them.

I think you may be onto something here....!

portobellojambo1

Read post 1, he thinks it is the people who sat back and said nothing who have produced the start to the season we have had. We have changed the way we are playing, do you genuinely think that is because some people, like the original poster were happy to sit back happily clapping or because a growing number of fans were disappointed and expressing that disappointment. To me it isn't hugely difficult to work out who is most liable to cause change in approach to happen, but there again I ain't fussed, I'm only glad it did happen and if losing to a pile of pish from Malta was the catalyst then so be it. We played very well in the opening game, playing more offensively, something those opposed to change said we shouldn't do, i.e. go more offensive. We were as good as, probably better than, Aberdeen at Pittodrie and could have won that game late on, again playing more offensive. We destroyed ICT at Tynecastle, again playing more offensive. Yesterday, we were controlling the game totally, Callum Paterson put us ahead and the players rightly wanted to play the same way and kill the game off. They were stopped from doing so, from the touchline, you could see players, Paterson in the main who was having a stormer of a game on the offensive, was constantly being stopped from going forward and hand signals were aimed at others to sit back. This wasn't 10 minutes into the 2nd half, this was after about 25 minutes of the 1st half, we allowed them more into the game for no reason at all.

2nd half, as I said on the match thread last night, I don't actually think was tactical, it was more a case of too many passes not reaching the intended targets which was allowing them to come at us more often, although even when doing so they looked absolutely no danger to us. The brightest thing for me is that the team, the players on the park, kept going and won us that game despite the comments by some on here, and a post relating to Neilson, referring to a draw would be OK (even worse only considering a win because of how other teams were playing, that has to rank as bat shit mental). Why would anyone want to draw against a team we were clearly much better than and never looked like losing against.

In terms of the point scoring, was it us or was it them, the only point scoring I want to see is on the park. We have already played the two teams who finished above us last season, although we should have finished above at least one of them if we had approached the full season correctly. This season is like last, there is no team we will be competing against that we have to sit off and fear. The only points scoring I want to witness is on the park, by HMFC, with a team being sent out to win football games not fear what isn't there to fear.

I can only assume that the fact you are on the other side of the globe is the reason you think Levien built this squad. How many times in the last week have Neilson, Levien and even some of the players confirmed that RN is responsible for deciding who signs and who he wants in his squad. Is your hatred of Neilson so bad that you can't give him credit for what you call the second best squad in the league?

The games in the league this year have been very encouraging. Neilson came under critism at the tail end of last season due to our lack of attacking threat. He wasn't helped by losing Sow after the January window had shut. Juanma and Reilly didn't perform and we were toothless and in all honesty dull to watch. This window has been his first chance to rectify the attacking problems and he appears to have made a good job of it, he's made some tough decisions with regards to Juanma and Reilly and brought in some exciting attacking talent. Overall I'd say we've got the strongest squad now than we've had since we exited administration which shows me that we are continuing to improve.

I'm by no means saying that everything is perfect, Neison certainly needs to start doing better in cup competitions. The loss to Birkirkara was extremely poor and while St Johnstone's budget is a lot closer to ours than you're implying we should have closed out the game up there. We were poor in defence that night, but again Neilson made tough choices and dropped his captain. In the three games since we've only lost two goals.

The victory yesterday was a good result. I think some people underestimate some of the so called smaller teams in our league. The standard in the top league is far, far higher than the calibre of opposition we faced in the championship. It's not a guaranteed three points going to places like Firhill or McDermaid park, so I'm very happy taking maximum points in Glasgow yesterday. Just ask Mark Warburton how easy this league is. Despite being able to pay players 15-20k per week his team have struggled in every game they've played.

We're in a good place at the moment and have every chance to have a very good season. It's time for us to get behind the team and manager and give them the support they need.

Thanks for debating this rather than getting into a name calling match..

Here is my take.. Our players brought in smack of past Levein teams.. Don't get me wrong I was a huge fan of past Levein teams.. The generally got the desired results and even punched above their weight in Europe on occasion..

I also believe Neilson goes to Levein with a list of players he needs.. Levein finds a player he thinks would do well.. Neilson can either agree or disagree.. However if he disagrees Levein will go and find another possibly suitable player.. The fact is Levein in bringing in the players even if Neilson has the final say..

This league is tough.. But tougher if you overestimate your opponents.. eventually you just have to say this is Partick Thistle.. man for man you are getting paid 1000 quid more per week.. we should be beating these teams.. now while it won't always work if it happens on a regular basis you need to wonder if the higher paid player deserves his wages..

Read post 1, he thinks it is the people who sat back and said nothing who have produced the start to the season we have had. We have changed the way we are playing, do you genuinely think that is because some people, like the original poster were happy to sit back happily clapping or because a growing number of fans were disappointed and expressing that disappointment. To me it isn't hugely difficult to work out who is most liable to cause change in approach to happen, but there again I ain't fussed, I'm only glad it did happen and if losing to a pile of pish from Malta was the catalyst then so be it. We played very well in the opening game, playing more offensively, something those opposed to change said we shouldn't do, i.e. go more offensive. We were as good as, probably better than, Aberdeen at Pittodrie and could have won that game late on, again playing more offensive. We destroyed ICT at Tynecastle, again playing more offensive. Yesterday, we were controlling the game totally, Callum Paterson put us ahead and the players rightly wanted to play the same way and kill the game off. They were stopped from doing so, from the touchline, you could see players, Paterson in the main who was having a stormer of a game on the offensive, was constantly being stopped from going forward and hand signals were aimed at others to sit back. This wasn't 10 minutes into the 2nd half, this was after about 25 minutes of the 1st half, we allowed them more into the game for no reason at all.

2nd half, as I said on the match thread last night, I don't actually think was tactical, it was more a case of too many passes not reaching the intended targets which was allowing them to come at us more often, although even when doing so they looked absolutely no danger to us. The brightest thing for me is that the team, the players on the park, kept going and won us that game despite the comments by some on here, and a post relating to Neilson, referring to a draw would be OK (even worse only considering a win because of how other teams were playing, that has to rank as bat shit mental). Why would anyone want to draw against a team we were clearly much better than and never looked like losing against.

I don't think it's down to either group of fans. The players are up to speed and performing better. Naff all to do with imbeciles hiring planes or sheep sitting happily clapping along.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's down to either group of fans. The players are up to speed and performing better. Naff all to do with imbeciles hiring planes or sheep sitting happily clapping along.

It's **** all to do with the fans.

This set up trust their judgement and are not affected by knee jerkers.

You don't and can't just change your whole way of playing after one game

We were planning for this season from last season.

Our plans last season will have included the type of player we were looking for this season.

It should be abundantly clear that we now have an attacking set of players that can give us energy, craft, movement and pressing that our attackers last season couldn't or didn't provide.

Neilson has also been completely vindicated with the signing of Cowie.

Neilson has already said we can press more this season because we have the players to do so.

So **** all has changed due to the fans - on either side.

But it doesn't surprise me that the people that are being proven wrong in their judgement of things are scrambling around trying to claim its down to them.

They need some sort of get out.

Pants Shaton

I don't really understand the logic of the OP. If it was ridiculous to reach conclusions after two bad defeats, how then can you make assumptions after two good wins? Are you not just doing exactly the same thing? Is rushing to conclusions okay as long as you're supportive of the manager?

It's not the same thing though.

We have assembled a good squad.  I'd argue that our performance against Celtic was among the best I've seen against them in recent years - and OK that's 'loser talk' because we didn't win.  We followed that up with a decent draw at Aberdeen and two good league wins.  

The league cup was disappointing but hardly unprecedented.  Europe was a disaster (although all that cost us was the chance of being pumped by some obscure Russian side).

The balanced view is that we're looking good.  We won't win the league but we've nothing to fear from any of our opponents.

We need to improve in Cups - I think we will.

What are people's thought about this?

Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson: "We brought on [Jamie] Walker and Bjorn [Johnsen] to give us a lift, because we had an idea of the scores from other games.

It's a pretty odd statement to make at this stage of the season.

portobellojambo1

Neither do I, that is what I was trying to get across (despite suggesting change is more liable to come about if there is unrest rather than just sitting back, and there was, and believe me the club were aware of it) I am willing to give the manager the benefit of the doubt in that he now knows the approach to a number of games last season was wrong and change was necessary, but it was a result against a Maltese team that brought it to a head. It does frustrate me to feck though when people go on about playing for draws at places like Firhill yesterday, when we we were steamrollering the opposition up until we scored and rather than looking for a draw the discussion should have been about how many goals we'd win by.

This league is tough.. But tougher if you overestimate your opponents.. eventually you just have to say this is Partick Thistle.. man for man you are getting paid 1000 quid more per week.. we should be beating these teams.. now while it won't always work if it happens on a regular basis you need to wonder if the higher paid player deserves his wages..

The league is even tougher if you underestimate your opposition! There is no God given right to win football matches if you get paid more! You only have to look at our neighbours performances against poorer standard and poor paid opposition in the last couple of seasons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll be second by 1700 on the 10th, yet there was and are "Hearts" fans calling for the manager to be sacked.

That's a bold statement and of course I hope you're right, but not sure about you using it to justify your argument. You could look very silly if we lose and drop a place or two.

Neither do I, that is what I was trying to get across (despite suggesting change is more liable to come about if there is unrest rather than just sitting back, and there was, and believe me the club were aware of it) I am willing to give the manager the benefit of the doubt in that he now knows the approach to a number of games last season was wrong and change was necessary, but it was a result against a Maltese team that brought it to a head. It does frustrate me to feck though when people go on about playing for draws at places like Firhill yesterday, when we we were steamrollering the opposition up until we scored and rather than looking for a draw the discussion should have been about how many goals we'd win by.

Fair points. Not quite sure what to make of Neilson's comment about Johnsen and Walker coming on. Hopefully a bit of a misquote.

Yesterday's result was more impressive than the 5-1 last week. We played some lovely stuff last week but that result yesterday showed nearly everything we were lacking away from home last season. We kept going, kept the tactics and formation positive and had that extra bit of quality, and luck, that big teams always carry. So much happier seeing us grind out that away win, makes me feel that we may, just may, have that little bit extra this year. Look at the difference Friday nights draw, with killie, has done to the mood at Ibrox. Had they ground a result out, they'd be clear at the top going into the old firm. Now rangers fans are looking at tough away matches against Celtic, Aberdeen and hearts. They are questioning their manager etc. It's all about that little bit extra quality over a season. Celtic done it at tynie, we done it yesterday. Totally over the moon with yesterday. Gorgie rule.

Great post.

portobellojambo1

Fair points. Not quite sure what to make of Neilson's comment about Johnsen and Walker coming on. Hopefully a bit of a misquote.

True, it is a very strange comment to make. Undoubtedly taking this thread way off tangent but I mentioned on the match thread my main element of concern over all yesterday was after the changes had been made and the contribution by Jamie Walker. He is a player I loved watching playing and my concern was/is will we ever see him playing that way again. He seemed to be playing well within himself yesterday, I cannot honestly remember him running past anyone, he didn't add anything once on. I am hoping he just needs a game to get himself back on track, hopefully Hamilton in a fortnight at Tynecastle, rather than him no longer having what he had as a result of the knee problem he has.

In terms of the point scoring, was it us or was it them, the only point scoring I want to see is on the park. We have already played the two teams who finished above us last season, although we should have finished above at least one of them if we had approached the full season correctly. This season is like last, there is no team we will be competing against that we have to sit off and fear. The only points scoring I want to witness is on the park, by HMFC, with a team being sent out to win football games not fear what isn't there to fear.

PJ1 you are fast coming into my favourite poster on the board.. You bring your points and back them up with cold hard facts.. nothing hysterical.. nothing too much downbeat.. Thanks for your input..

Bazzas right boot

That's a bold statement and of course I hope you're right, but not sure about you using it to justify your argument. You could look very silly if we lose and drop a place or two.

If wee 3rd or 4th I won't lose my shit over it either.

We're 3rd now, so above our average league v last 50 years, no need to sack the manager.

Getintaethem

Thanks for debating this rather than getting into a name calling match..

Here is my take.. Our players brought in smack of past Levein teams.. Don't get me wrong I was a huge fan of past Levein teams.. The generally got the desired results and even punched above their weight in Europe on occasion..

I also believe Neilson goes to Levein with a list of players he needs.. Levein finds a player he thinks would do well.. Neilson can either agree or disagree.. However if he disagrees Levein will go and find another possibly suitable player.. The fact is Levein in bringing in the players even if Neilson has the final say..

There is no doubt Levien is involved in some way in the recruitment process and I'm fine with that. I'm sure the whole back room staff work closely together when it comes to building the squad. The point I'm making is that the final decision is Neilson's He takes the flack when things go wrong and is entitled to credit when things work.

I know where you're coming from with regards to the other teams in the league, to be successful we need to be beating them home and away. I just think that's a big ask at the moment. We should, on paper, have a bigger budget than a lot of these teams, but in reality there won't be much in it. The fact that the club has ?3m in reserves at this time tells you that not all the money coming into the club is going to the playing side. Once the new stand is built and paid for I see the playing budget increasing considerably, that's when we may start seeing a huge difference in quality and the smaller teams may struggle to live with us. That's a couple of seasons away though.

All in all in terms of league performance Neilson has done well. The cups are another story though. We should have got a round further in Europe. We also need to do better in domestic cup competitions, semi-finals should be the minimum target. We need a good run in the Scottish this year.

Neilson has fallen short in Europe and the league cup. If he can get us to 75+ league points and at least the semis of the Scottish cup it will still be a very good season in my eyes. With this squad I think he could meet those targets.

Archived