U/20s v Hibs.

willie wallace

willie wallace

Away to Hibs on Tuesday.Do they play home games at Tranent or Easter Road hopefully.

Got lost last time go to their training ground.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw a few days ago that Hibs U20s are going to use the indoor pitch all season.

Thought they had their own one at East Mains?

Footballfirst

I was out at Riccarton today for the U17 game v Dundee Utd (Hearts won 4-2, going on 10-2, with what was almost exclusively an U16 side).  I had a wander through the NPC and it looks superb (it was an open day). There was Karate going on in the sports hall and the main indoor pitch was split into four 60x40 pitches. Hearts U12s were having a kick around on one, frisbees were being thrown around on another.

Tuesday's game is actually a home game for Hibs.  It's a bit ironic that it will be Hibs who will be making most use of the indoor pitch, as it seems that Hearts will have to pay to use it like everyone else.  Hearts would be as well using it for Development League games too rather than travelling to Stenhousemuir.

This must be the first competitive game played indoors by "senior" clubs in Scotland, unless someone knows different.

I was out at Riccarton today for the U17 game v Dundee Utd (Hearts won 4-2, going on 10-2, with what was almost exclusively an U16 side).  I had a wander through the NPC and it looks superb (it was an open day). There was Karate going on in the sports hall and the main indoor pitch was split into four 60x40 pitches. Hearts U12s were having a kick around on one, frisbees were being thrown around on another.

Tuesday's game is actually a home game for Hibs.  It's a bit ironic that it will be Hibs who will be making most use of the indoor pitch, as it seems that Hearts will have to pay to use it like everyone else.  Hearts would be as well using it for Development League games too rather than travelling to Stenhousemuir.

This must be the first competitive game played indoors by "senior" clubs in Scotland, unless someone knows different.

Can't say I like the idea of indoor games. I feel it's already unrealistic with the field turf, and now they're going to remove the elements.

Footballfirst

Can't say I like the idea of indoor games. I feel it's already unrealistic with the field turf, and now they're going to remove the elements.

There were four games played indoors in the 1994 World Cup Finals at the Pontiac Silverdome, albeit on a grass surface.

Jambof3tornado

Is there a seated spectators area for the match. I thought that was a requirement for dev league matches.

willie wallace

So Hibs are getting to use a facility at our training base?!

I find this difficult to understand unless we don't want play indoors.If this is the case can we still play our home games there on the outdoor fields.

Hope the club have not been caught napping here.

Buffalo Bill

Is there a seated spectators area for the match. I thought that was a requirement for dev league matches.

Yes there is. It seats 500.

Footballfirst

ux1oPSM.jpg

...a bit disco

Thinking of going along to this.

What's the best car park in Heriot Watt for the Centre?

Unknown user

So Hibs are getting to use a facility at our training base?!

We pay for exclusive use of part of the facility only, it's not ours and anyone else is free to rent other parts that aren't exclusively ours

jamboinglasgow

Are you noticing improvments in the youth teams from previous years?

Footballfirst

Thinking of going along to this.

What's the best car park in Heriot Watt for the Centre?

"B" if you can get into it as it is still being surfaced, otherwise "A"

The main entrance to the NPC has a walkway into car park "B"

...a bit disco

"B" if you can get into it as it is still being surfaced, otherwise "A"

The main entrance to the NPC has a walkway into car park "B"

Nice one.

:thumbsup:

Cheers FF.

I know everyone says this place is massive but is there not a chance of the ball skelping off the roof in this place?

Not unless we play hoofball! It's 25m high according to the guy showing us around last week.

Footballfirst

Are you noticing improvments in the youth teams from previous years?

I haven't seen any noticeable change in approach or style, although I've only seen the U13s and U14s play Motherwell last week and the U17s today.

The U13s were up against it to start with as Motherwell pressed them, but Hearts finished better as the pressure came off with tiredness. Oddly for a youth game at that age it finished 0-0. The players and the style of play was similar to previous seasons.

There were quite a few new faces in the U14s. They started the better and were 1-0 up at the time I left.

The U17s did not have any of their full time players playing (K Smith, Irving, Reid), so it was virtually an U16 side.  This is the same group of players who developed really well in the second half of last season.  I think they had victories over every other side last season, barring Hamilton.   They are a talented group and I can see up half a dozen of then getting offered contracts next year, when they will still be able to play U17. They have a great tempo to their play and lots of skilful and hard working players from back to front.  It's been achieved by a mix of players coming through and recruitment of a few individuals over the last couple of years.  In my opinion it's the best group coming through at the same age since we had Walker, Holt, D Smith, Mullen etc.

Footballfirst

I know everyone says this place is massive but is there not a chance of the ball skelping off the roof in this place?

Only if you play hoofball.

kylelauren01

I haven't seen any noticeable change in approach or style, although I've only seen the U13s and U14s play Motherwell last week and the U17s today.

The U13s were up against it to start with as Motherwell pressed them, but Hearts finished better as the pressure came off with tiredness. Oddly for a youth game at that age it finished 0-0. The players and the style of play was similar to previous seasons.

There were quite a few new faces in the U14s. They started the better and were 1-0 up at the time I left.

The U17s did not have any of their full time players playing (K Smith, Irving, Reid), so it was virtually an U16 side. This is the same group of players who developed really well in the second half of last season. I think they had victories over every other side last season, barring Hamilton. They are a talented group and I can see up half a dozen of then getting offered contracts next year, when they will still be able to play U17. They have a great tempo to their play and lots of skilful and hard working players from back to front. It's been achieved by a mix of players coming through and recruitment of a few individuals over the last couple of years. In my opinion it's the best group coming through at the same age since we had Walker, Holt, D Smith, Mullen etc.

There are only 2 new signings for the 14's in the past season - a striker Hearts paid a fair bit of money to Livingston for, and a tall right midfielder from Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts. The rest of that squad have been together 3/4 years. Might have been one or two pushed on from 13's playing against Motherwell. Saw them play Fife in the last game of last season where Hearts scored with last kick of the game in a 2-2 draw. Hearts play Fife at Riccarton next Sunday so I'll take that one in - think it's a 1:15 ko.

Charlie-Brown

No its massive the roof towers above some very tall tree lines around riccarton & gogar, apart from Calders Flats its a dominant feature on the western skyline.

Goldstone Wonder

No its massive the roof towers above some very tall tree lines around riccarton & gogar, apart from Calders Flats its a dominant feature on the western skyline.

is this the huge white structure which has appeared out of nowhere on the horizon? I saw it the other day coming down Maybury Road. Have never noticed it before!

Footballfirst

There are only 2 new signings for the 14's in the past season - a striker Hearts paid a fair bit of money to Livingston for, and a tall right midfielder from Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts. The rest of that squad have been together 3/4 years. Might have been one or two pushed on from 13's playing against Motherwell. Saw them play Fife in the last game of last season where Hearts scored with last kick of the game in a 2-2 draw. Hearts play Fife at Riccarton next Sunday so I'll take that one in - think it's a 1:15 ko.

It's probably just me. The laddies grow up so quickly or change their hairstyles so I mightn't have recognised some.  I take it that you have kept an eye on the academy squads since Kyle left

jamboinglasgow

The U17s did not have any of their full time players playing (K Smith, Irving, Reid), so it was virtually an U16 side.  This is the same group of players who developed really well in the second half of last season.  I think they had victories over every other side last season, barring Hamilton.   They are a talented group and I can see up half a dozen of then getting offered contracts next year, when they will still be able to play U17. They have a great tempo to their play and lots of skilful and hard working players from back to front.  It's been achieved by a mix of players coming through and recruitment of a few individuals over the last couple of years.  In my opinion it's the best group coming through at the same age since we had Walker, Holt, D Smith, Mullen etc.

Cheers. Always interesting. 

Interesting that we are pay decent (for that level) money for players. Big help for our recruitment.

Footballfirst

I will be interested to see how Hearts line up on Tuesday.  Will they field a young side all of whom are U20? Will they include those on Development Loans, those close to the first team squad or overage players in need of game time?

Zanatta and Godinho are both eligible as U20s so should play.  Buchanan, L Smith, Muirhead, Oshaniwa and Johnsen are all overage but could probably do with some game time.

U20 squad players Moore, Roy and Morrison have all gone out on loan, but will they be utilised?

It might be down to what players Levein, Neilson, Daly makes available for selection.

Malcolm Tucker

I will be interested to see how Hearts line up on Tuesday. Will they field a young side all of whom are U20? Will they include those on Development Loans, those close to the first team squad or overage players in need of game time?

Zanatta and Godinho are both eligible as U20s so should play. Buchanan, L Smith, Muirhead, Oshaniwa and Johnsen are all overage but could probably do with some game time.

U20 squad players Moore, Roy and Morrison have all gone out on loan, but will they be utilised?

It might be down to what players Levein, Neilson, Daly makes available for selection.

Interested in the sentence in bold. You say they're eligible, so does this mean Godinho is training with the 1st team at all times but can play u20 if needed, like Zanatta? Seems he's held in high regard anyway, probably end up 2nd choice RB when Paterson leaves.

Thank christ Robbie's not in charge of the unders

forgot about you while updating my ignore list. totally forgot how much of a slaver you are....cheers

Footballfirst

Another person who is in need of game time is Krystian Nowak, so who knows what the team will look like.

Would be as well calling it a reserve league and removing any restrictions.

Out of interest why was this introduced, as opposed to just returning to the old reserve league system?

Footballfirst

Out of interest why was this introduced, as opposed to just returning to the old reserve league system?

It was pat of Mark Wotte's proposals for a league to bridge the gap between academy football (up to U17s) and the first team.  His proposals were watered down by some clubs who thought that is would be too expensive to maintain a full squad of full-time U20s, hence the overage players allowance was adopted.

I would rather that they extended the Academy football up to U18 (allowing kids to stay at school for a full 6 years if they wished), and implemented a reserve league. I would expect that most clubs would field their best youngsters in a reserve side in any event.

It was pat of Mark Wotte's proposals for a league to bridge the gap between academy football (up to U17s) and the first team. His proposals were watered down by some clubs who thought that is would be too expensive to maintain a full squad of full-time U20s, hence the overage players allowance was adopted.

I would rather that they extended the Academy football up to U18 (allowing kids to stay at school for a full 6 years if they wished), and implemented a reserve league. I would expect that most clubs would field their best youngsters in a reserve side in any event.

Indeed. I'd rather someone like yourself was put in a position to influence the whole shooting match, to be perfectly honest.

Rudi-Robertson

forgot about you while updating my ignore list. totally forgot how much of a slaver you are....cheers

No bother champ!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Informative thread. Living miles away I rely on these threads for grassroots to youth team. Thanks fellas.

Btw expect Nowak to play maybe even Muirhead too since its Hibs. Noring could use a game too

loveofthegame

The 2pm k/o is a real pain in the arse for us 9-5 folk! Was hoping to get along to this but no chance with the early kick off.

It was pat of Mark Wotte's proposals for a league to bridge the gap between academy football (up to U17s) and the first team.  His proposals were watered down by some clubs who thought that is would be too expensive to maintain a full squad of full-time U20s, hence the overage players allowance was adopted.

Totally agree, numerous articles with interviews from many people in Scottish football who all believe that bringing back the reserve league would help development. Its been gone for approx 4 or 5 seasons now I think. 

Archived