Clive Tilsley GTF

jambostuart

jambostuart

"Portugal are three behind Scotland in the rankings. Make of that what you will"

No need in that comment. What was the point?

Because Portugal are a far, far better team than Scotland and those standings show the rankings to be a joke?

I'm no fan of CT (check my post on the other thread on him) but you can't argue with that comment, IMO.

Ray Winstone
"Portugal are three behind Scotland in the rankings. Make of that what you will"

Ha ha - what he actually said was

Portugal are two behind England and Turkey are three behind Scotland - make of that what you will.

Its a dig at the ridiculous ranking system - now wind your neck in and stop slaverin.

That'll be the Scotland that finished with more points than England in qualifiers despite being in a much harder group. Tit

Gigolo-Aunt
Because Portugal are a far, far better team than Scotland and those standings show the rankings to be a joke?

I'm no fan of CT (check my post on the other thread on him) but you can't argue with that comment, IMO.

Correct.

He said "Portugal are 2 behind England in the rankings and Turkey are 3 behind Scotland, make of that what you will"

Not sure what his point was though.

Ray Winstone
That'll be the Scotland that finished with more points than England in qualifiers despite being in a much harder group. Tit

Dont be the second to make a fool of themselves......

too late.

coppercrutch

His whining about diving is a little much. Do these commentators not remember English ( And Scottish for that matter) players dive quite regularly too..............

Buffalo Bill

I stopped believing in charts when Mr Bloody beat Take That to Christmas Number One.

ed_imagesnn1623e_265_33294a.jpg

Buffalo Bill

jambostuart

Ok fair enough, just don't see what his point was in mentioning it.

christhejambo

Much prefer him to Motson anyday- thank God they had the option for 5 Live Commentary on the first game today. It took 8 seconds for Motson to mention England today- absolute bell end.

portobellojambo1
He said "Portugal are 2 behind England in the rankings and Turkey are 3 behind Scotland, make of that what you will"

Not sure what his point was though.

Probably to highlight what has already been said within this thread, that the ranking system is nothing but total p i s s.

Smoked-Glass
Much prefer him to Motson anyday- thank God they had the option for 5 Live Commentary on the first game today. It took 8 seconds for Motson to mention England today- absolute bell end.

He loves Rooney and always slavers p1sh.

Guest juvehearts

just do what i do & put the game on mute.

have a few beers with the sound down & music up, the games wernt much of a spectical anyway lol

Captain America

On 5 Live today at kick off ( Swiss v Czech) Commentator mentioned Gerrard, Rooney and Ferdinand straight away.

Knew their was reason was football on mute

south morocco
Ha ha - what he actually said was

Portugal are two behind England and Turkey are three behind Scotland - make of that what you will.

Its a dig at the ridiculous ranking system - now wind your neck in and stop slaverin.

a compliment to our side from clive,thank you !very much

The way he spoke about Colin Kazim-Richards was almost humiliating to the lad.

Fair play to him, i say. He's gone to Turkey and proved everyone wrong. He's a regular for Fenerbahce and the national team, and IIRC rattled one past Chelski in the CL. If he has a good tournament i'm sure his stock will rise in England and he'll move back.

Gigolo-Aunt

Fair play to him, i say. He's gone to Turkey and proved everyone wrong. He's a regular for Fenerbahce and the national team, and IIRC rattled one past Chelski in the CL. If he has a good tournament i'm sure his stock will rise in England and he'll move back.

Mate, he is just a twonk.

QUOTE=Buffalo Bill;308612]I stopped believing in charts when Mr Bloody beat Take That to Christmas Number One.

Buffalo Bill

when did you take my photie with Noel Edmonds???????????????????????:rolleyes:

I stopped believing in charts when Mr Bloody beat Take That to Christmas Number One.

Buffalo Bill

Surely you mean Mr Blobby..... (aka Chic Charnley!)

Surely you mean Mr Blobby..... (aka Chic Charnley!)

...or Andy68Hearts...? (Joking Andy) ;)

the sooner the english realise they did not qualify and it is not all about them the better, as said by an earlier poster put it on mute and put the music on

Ray Winstone
He was trying to make out that teams should qualify based on their rankings.

Tit.

He was trying to point out the stupidity of the rankings system.

ie Portugal should be above England and Turkey above Scotand because they are both better.

English pundit in not rating Scotland shocker.

Maybe you should write in and complain?

Buffalo Bill

I can't believe I called Mr Blobby 'Mr Bloody'.

Must be my inner-demons!

Buffalo Bill

shaun.lawson

Y'know, it might be an idea if some of you got your heads out of your arses, the chip off your collective shoulders and stopped creating reasons to feel offence when none actually exist. In Portugal's case, it was a dig at the ranking system: that they're below England despite qualifying for this event, reaching a World Cup semi and a Euro final over the last four years is patently absurd - and I also took it as a suggestion that Scotland were unlucky not to be in the finals. Because for Turkey, who are there, to be a few spots behind Scotland sounds about right to me.

Tyledesley drives me crackers whenever he's covering England or Man Utd (and in both cases, I suspect he very much enjoys the reaction he provokes in others). But when doing all other games, I think he's excellent: witty, incisive, and eloquent, and 1000% better than John bloody Motson.

Charlie-Brown

Neither England nor Scotland deserve to be at the Euro's as neither was good enough to qualify from the group stages and all the other teams did .... Austria & Switzerland are obviously exceptions to this.

Ray Winstone
Neither England nor Scotland deserve to be at the Euro's as neither was good enough to qualify from the group stages and all the other teams did .... Austria & Switzerland are obviously exceptions to this.

Fair enough letting the hosts into the tournament - but seeding them first was too far!

Leaving Holland, Italy and France in the same group!

shaun.lawson
Fair enough letting the hosts into the tournament - but seeding them first was too far!

Leaving Holland, Italy and France in the same group!

As ever, it's Germany who were the clever ones. Realising it'd probably be a disadvantage to be seeded with all the heavyweight sides lurking in Pots Two and Three, they deliberately chucked their group games against the Czechs and Wales, losing 3-0 in Munich to the former and only drawing 0-0 at home to the latter. It worked like a dream, pushing Holland into a seeding position, and leaving them safely in Pot Three, away from danger.

Blackdog35

He didn't say anything that wasn't true again, Kazim-Richards was rubbish at Sheffield United. He went to Turkey and has become a far better player.

He didn't say anything that wasn't true again, Kazim-Richards was rubbish at Sheffield United. He went to Turkey and has become a far better player.

imo opinion they were wetting themselves over a player who was born in england giving them something to hold on to.

who had a decent game in a pretty average team.

the best player for the turks was actually orrellio(spelling)the naturlised brazilian!

jambostuart

Less than 12 mins for him to mention Beckham too

BangkokHearts

[smug]During qualification games for this tournament, I'm glad Scotland didn't lose heavily at home in a game we expected to stroll through as winners, even though the team we were facing were the strongest during qualifying and had the best record.[/smug]

I don't think the rankings are a joke. They used to be a joke when they took into account results from the previous 8 years but now only use the previous 4 years. These sort of processes are never prefect but it is better.

Scotland's high ranking largely came about as a result of beating France (world cup finalists) twice in qualifying. I fully expect after this tournament that Scotland's ranking will have slipped due to us playing less competitive games.

And I don't know what Tilsley is slavering about, Portgual are currently 6 places ahead of Scotland in the rankings.

Ranking Team Pts

Jun 08 +/- Ranking

May 08 +/- Pts

May 08

1 Argentina 1559 0 39

2 Brazil 1513 0 -5

3 Italy 1424 0 28

4 Spain 1303 0 -20

5 Germany 1274 0 10

6 Czech Republic 1246 0 2

7 France 1143 0 -62

8 Greece 1133 0 -63

9 England 1123 2 25

10 Netherlands 1111 0 -12

11 Portugal 1094 -2 -37

12 Romania 1069 0 -13

13 Cameroon 1041 3 36

14 Mexico 1020 3 32

15 Croatia 1017 -2 -27

16 Ghana 986 -2 -24

17 Scotland 978 -2 -29

18 Bulgaria 949 0 1

19 Colombia 904 0 -5

20 Turkey 877 5 21

21 USA 874 0 -15

22 Israel 872 -2 -33

23 Egypt 848 7 26

24 Russia 846 1 -10

25 C?te d'Ivoire 838 -3 -32

26 Uruguay 817 2 -23

27 Norway 814 2 -22

28 Paraguay 805 -4 -52

28 Poland 805 -1 -43

30 Sweden 799 -7 -63

31 Ukraine 791 1 17

32 Northern Ireland 752 2 48

33 Denmark 750 0 -11

34 Nigeria 709 5 49

35 Australia 708 8 74

36 Finland 697 -2 -7

37 Honduras 696 -1 5

38 Japan 695 -1 11

39 Serbia 694 -8 -119

40 Morocco 690 5 60

41 Guinea 679 -1 23

42 Republic of Ireland 674 -1 33

43 Senegal 667 3 40

44 Switzerland 644 4 27

45 Korea Republic 632 5 20

46 Mali 630 -2 -2

47 Chile 623 -6 -18

48 Iran 603 3 4

49 Belgium 600 -3 -27

50 Tunisia 594 3 7

shaun.lawson

I think they're a vast improvement on the previous version, Samster - mainly because they're now weighted according to strength of the opposition, so nonsenses like Mexico or the US being way too high because of beating a bunch of countries Uncle Sam regards as his own personal banana plantations have stopped. All that said though, I'd still say Argentina (major trophies since 1993: none; World Cup semi-finals since 1990, none), the Czechs and England are too high; France and Portugal (inexplicably so in the latter's case, given their record over the past four years), too low.

Scotland are way too high. I'd say a mid-30s ranking would be a fairer reflection, so can only conclude that the current system has serious faults.

shaun.lawson
Scotland are way too high. I'd say a mid-30s ranking would be a fairer reflection, so can only conclude that the current system has serious faults.

It'll certainly prove accurate when they qualify for South Africa, Therapist - as I fully expect them to do...

Y'know, it might be an idea if some of you got your heads out of your arses, the chip off your collective shoulders and stopped creating reasons to feel offence when none actually exist. In Portugal's case, it was a dig at the ranking system: that they're below England despite qualifying for this event, reaching a World Cup semi and a Euro final over the last four years is patently absurd - and I also took it as a suggestion that Scotland were unlucky not to be in the finals. Because for Turkey, who are there, to be a few spots behind Scotland sounds about right to me.

Tyledesley drives me crackers whenever he's covering England or Man Utd (and in both cases, I suspect he very much enjoys the reaction he provokes in others). But when doing all other games, I think he's excellent: witty, incisive, and eloquent, and 1000% better than John bloody Motson.

How is it we do these things on JKB? Oh aye..

Nail. Hit Head.

Spot on.

Agree entirely IMO

End OFF.

FTH etc. etc.

Seymour M Hersh

Simmer down to frenzy.:cool:

Seymour M Hersh

For all those wanting to get upset at the ingurlish media listen to Parry on talk sport. He is still whining that ingurland should be there by right and that the top 8 clubs should be invited into the competition and the other 8 should qualify. Man's a choob of the highest order. Brazil is ripping him up. So are realistic english callers.

shaun.lawson
For all those wanting to get upset at the ingurlish media listen to Parry on talk sport. He is still whining that ingurland should be there by right and that the top 8 clubs should be invited into the competition and the other 8 should qualify. Man's a choob of the highest order. Brazil is ripping him up. So are realistic english callers.

Which means, surely, that he's just doing his job. The more pish he spouts on talkNONSENSE, the more callers will phone in.

Charlie-Brown
Which means, surely, that he's just doing his job. The more pish he spouts on talkNONSENSE, the more callers will phone in.

It's called playing devils advocate or being deliberately controversial and yes it is done entirely to stimulate interest & audience participation, nobody in his (M.Parry) professional capacity could be that obtuse.....although a few on here could. :laugh:

shaun.lawson
It's called playing devils advocate or being deliberately controversial and yes it is done entirely to stimulate interest & audience participation, nobody in his (M.Parry) professional capacity could be that obtuse.....although a few on here could. :laugh:

Though they do it for entirely the same reasons, of course. In other words, the message really should go out to talkNONSENSE listeners:

:troll:

It'll certainly prove accurate when they qualify for South Africa, Therapist - as I fully expect them to do...

They have no chance of qualifying and am willing to wager a decent sum on that. :)

Charlie-Brown
Though they do it for entirely the same reasons, of course. In other words, the message really should go out to talkNONSENSE listeners:

Some undoubtedly do although there are some others that really do appear to be Parry-esque in their obtuseness. :)

shaun.lawson
They have no chance of qualifying and am willing to wager a decent sum on that. :)

Because their goodish world ranking will probably see them seeded in the play-offs, which I'm confident they'll reach (FIFA seed the play-offs; UEFA don't), fifty quid says they'll qualify for the World Cup in 2010.

Because their goodish world ranking will probably see them seeded in the play-offs, which I'm confident they'll reach (FIFA seed the play-offs; UEFA don't), fifty quid says they'll qualify for the World Cup in 2010.

Who's in the group again?

shaun.lawson
Who's in the group again?

Holland, Norway, Macedonia, Iceland. 2nd place beckons.

Holland, Norway, Macedonia, Iceland. 2nd place beckons.

Is it the top 2 go through and 3rd into the play-offs?

Can't see Scotland taking any points from Holland home or away, maybe a point against the Norwegians, 3/4 points from Iceland and, if you're a Scotland fan, you'd hope 6 against Macedonia. I'd guess at around the 11/12 points mark.

I'll bet you a tenner they don't make it.

Archived