Edinburgh Fringe 2008 - Which shows to see

Bigsmak

Went to see Tim Vine last night with the bird. I thought it would be ****e but it was pretty funny. And not a single swear word either. **** me.

Just bought tickets for Stewart Lee on Wednesday. Always guaranteed to be good.

first time ive went to see anything at the festival and seen stawart lee last night at the stand....what a load of rubbish how anyone can find this guy funny is beyond me.....can anyone tell me the best comedian to go and see....thanks

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
first time ive went to see anything at the festival and seen stawart lee last night at the stand....what a load of rubbish how anyone can find this guy funny is beyond me.....can anyone tell me the best comedian to go and see....thanks

Funny you should bring that post up as I too thought he was terrible. Kinda gutted in a way as some of his past shows have been brilliant. He was clearly half cut when I saw him and appeared to have 20 minutes material for the one hour show.

And to whoever said Reginald D Hunter - I hope that man wasn't paid for Saturday as he was embarassing.

Pants Shaton

Saw Richard Herring last night - excellent *****

(PS. Anyone who doesn't find Stewart Lee funny has a serious problem :))

Been helping out any street performers lately mate?

;)

Funnily enough he has!!!!

Did he fail to tell you all about wearing a Tutu round his waist last week..... Well it was meant for round the waist only it wouldn't fit his, so the guy put it round his leg...... might have to put the video on youtube;)

You've probably missed the chance, but John Otway and Wild Willie Barrett playing at Club West are absolutely fan-bl00dy-tastic! If you ever liked them at any time (ie cor baby thats really free) you will be totally impressed with their latest show - includes all the hits!!! - with loads of comedy thrown in to boot. First time they've played together for 12 years!

Finishes on SAturday so get there quick!

:band2:

The Old Tolbooth
Been helping out any street performers lately mate?

;)

Oh no, you didn't see it did you? :rofl:

God that was embarrassing, the worst part wasn't standing in front of 3-400 people trying to dance and shake my ass etc, it was when he tried putting the tutu round my waist and he couldn't get the ends to meet and had to put it round my leg instead :laugh:

I didn't look stupid at all!! :confused:

That's the second time I've been bloody picked, my bald head must act like a beacon to them!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

So far I've seen Phil Nicholls - Amusing, not the funniest guy I've ever seen but worth the tenner I paid

Ian Stone - Big nosed jewish Londonder, had half an hours decent material but was on for an hour. If he made one reference to his nose he made 100. Got a bit tedious towards the end

Stewart Lee at The Stand was BRILLIANT. He talks to me! Funniest guy I've ever seen live. Clever clever guy. A modern day Bill Hicks

Reg D Hunter. Again pi55 funny and close to the bone. I'd go and see him again doing the same stuff. His Josef Fritzel routine was out of order but very very funny

Strawberry Jam

I saw a comedian called Fiona O'Loughlin last night. Wouldn't recommend, she wasn't very funny and definitely not worth ?11.

Ashamed to hear that my brother is going to see Jimmy Carr tonight. I wouldn't go to that if you paid me. Absolute t*t.

Oh no, you didn't see it did you? :rofl:

Mate, I didn't just see it, I took pictures as well.

I reckon Linda's video sounds better though.

Youtube it Linda... you know it makes sense!

The Old Tolbooth
Mate, I didn't just see it, I took pictures as well.

I reckon Linda's video sounds better though.

Youtube it Linda... you know it makes sense!

Oh you git lol!! :P

You wouldn't believe it mate, we were up town again today watching some more shows, and I was flippn well picked again to help another street performer ffs, I'm scared to go back! That's 3 times now! :eek:

just seen stuart and barry at the underbelly

2 magicians and funny as fork!

best show we've seen this year, and they got cludgie with the voodoo mind magic. oh, and i had a bottle of water turned into a bottle of wine, and it was very nice!!!!*

very much much worthwhile going to see. they were on 241 tonight, so nice and cheap. they are selling out most nights now, in a small room, but have put an extra couple of dates on

go see them!

*as nice as aberdonians would buy i mean

just seen stuart and barry at the underbelly

2 magicians and funny as fork!

best show we've seen this year, and they got cludgie with the voodoo mind magic. oh, and i had a bottle of water turned into a bottle of wine, and it was very nice!!!!*

very much much worthwhile going to see. they were on 241 tonight, so nice and cheap. they are selling out most nights now, in a small room, but have put an extra couple of dates on

go see them!

*as nice as aberdonians would buy i mean

hehehe, aye it was a braw show.... voodoo n' aww ;)

I concur with bev, go see them!!

I don't think anyone has mentioned Nick Doody, English comedian. Good value for money, the guy is going places.

Also saw Tim Minchin, Jim Jeffries, Mark Watson and Reginald D Hunter, all recommended.

My missus and her friend saw Tim Minchin and Reginald D Hunter, which they didn't really enjoy as much as a variety show with the compere Stephen Grant, who we are going to see tomorrow night (my first venture this year due to babysitting duties). Both Jim Jeffries and Mark Watson regularly appear on Radio 5's Fighting Talk (see link below) which is a brilliant sports comedy show with the emphasis very much on football. Won't pay money to see Jim Jeffries now due to his comedy appearance on radio which is on youtube voicing over an old lady getting mugged.

http://www.anton.co.uk/fighting/

Went to see Jo Caulfield at the Stand last Sat night.

Pretty good, and she had a brilliant joke about Shannon Matthews/Karen Matthews and SUV's.

I saw a comedian called Fiona O'Loughlin last night. Wouldn't recommend, she wasn't very funny and definitely not worth ?11.

fiona is actually a real doll. not seen her show yet, but on the door for monday.

can i just say though, a really good mate of a good number of the aussie comics died last week, and the funeral was on sunday. the girl was only 30 and produced a number of their shows in the past, so perhaps she wasn't firing on all cylinders due to that

Archived