Edinburgh Fringe 2008 - Which shows to see

Bigsmak

The Scotsman had its fringe guide out today.

The Edinburgh Fringe website here Says that tickets go on sale on Monday.

Now, Can anyone recommend some good shows to see this year. So I can buy tickets for before they all all out.

Bill Bailey is an obvious one. 1 show only.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a brilliant Venezuelan pianist called Gabriela Montero playing at The Hub on Aug.12th.

Improvisation, imagination and fantastic chebs. :thumb:

70's Throwback
There's a brilliant Venezuelan pianist called Gabriela Montero playing at The Hub on Aug.12th.

Improvisation, imagination and fantastic chebs. :thumb:

Fair set of gnashers though??

I can recommend Jim Bowen. Saw him a couple of years ago and he was really good.:)

Great, Super , Smashin'..where's he playing this year ?

Daniel Kitson is bringing a new piece to the Traverse in August. The pieces he does there are scripted one man shows as opposed to stand up but are well worth seeing if you appreciate clever writing and gentle humour.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill Bailey is now sold out...

Still thinking about what to see.

We still have about 4 weeks left till it starts but all the schedules are out now.

conn artist

limmy at the stand. if you liked his world of glasgow podcasts you will like his new stand up version/show.

Jambo Hud316

My girlfriend got us tickets for Jim Bowen,,,,What a darling :)

Can't wait to see him

also got tickets to some coloured comedian who has been there before and meant to be good..sorry can't remember his name but don't think its that Reg bloke someone posted earlier

shes also got a few freebie tickets for the first week....all in should be a good festival

Oh and I got tickets for Maximo Park (my choice) and Lostprophets (her choice) at the corn exchange

Chip Douglas
Bill Bailey is now sold out...

Still thinking about what to see.

We still have about 4 weeks left till it starts but all the schedules are out now.

Smak, don't miss out on Jerry Sadowitz.

I've got tickets for Bill Bailey and Ed Byrne so far, thinking of going to see Reg D Hunter and Jason Byrne as well.

Jason Byrne is very funny and always available in the previews or on 2 for 1 nights early in the festival - a great way to spend ?5.

Frankenstein Jambo.

There is an amazing mix of Bagpipes and african drums from the band TTS. I recomend you go see that

Smak, don't miss out on Jerry Sadowitz.

I've only seen some clips of him, not sure if I would be a fan or not. You Tube doesn't have much on him!

Chip Douglas
I've only seen some clips of him, not sure if I would be a fan or not. You Tube doesn't have much on him!

He's absolutely brilliant, I literally p@shed myself at his show last year. Most definitely not for the easily offended however.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Got tickets for Stewart Lee, Arnold Brown & Best Of Scottish Comedy so far

Fancy Jerry Sadowitz tickets too

Saw him about 18 years ago, funny as. The antidote to political correctness

Terry Waite, what a barsteward. lend some people a fiver, never see them again

The only tickets I've booked so far are for Tim Minchin - looks like a good shout from the videos on youtube Bev.....

I try and avoid anyone that I've seen on TV before and go on recommendations or pot luck (when I get free tickets).

The only tickets I've booked so far are for Tim Minchin - looks like a good shout from the videos on youtube Bev.....

I try and avoid anyone that I've seen on TV before and go on recommendations or pot luck (when I get free tickets).

Note: There is more to the Festival than comedy. ;)

Note: There is more to the Festival than comedy. ;)

Absolutely.

I do go and see some theatre as well - that's usually even more random.

The problem with theatre is, it's harder to recommend year to year as they put on different plays, whereas good comedians will always be consistent.

I think you'll see more people talking about plays once the Fringe actually gets going.

Absolutely.

The problem with theatre is, it's harder to recommend year to year as they put on different plays, whereas good comedians will always be consistent.

I think you'll see more people talking about plays once the Fringe actually gets going.

Cool.

What plays did you see last year?

My Filthy Hunt was my favourite ... and the same production are back this year with a new play. I'll let you find it .... look for "Elvis" ;)

Re: Consistent comedians? Seen Jiimy Carr about 5 years ago in Teviot, great ..... ever since .... especially in the EICC; poor.

Go and see Lloyd Langford.

I saw him at the Leeds festival in 2006 and he may just have been the funniest man I've ever seen. Why he's not more well known I don't know but he's a very funny man.

Angry Haggis

Went to see a fringe show last year in the BMC club, basically (and I just cant remember the name of it) the idea is that 3 or 4 comedians form the fringe come out to the surburbs and do a show for 'real' Edinburger folk. It was only ?2 and it was very enjoyable. I think it was started a few years back in remeberence of a peformer who passed away. They had other shows on plays etc at venues like Jack Cane centre etc.

I will try and find the details and if it is on this year - but well worth the dosh.

Absolutely.

you're absolutely right. also, given the price of tickets these days you want to make sure you're not seeing a dud. just because you like a play, doesn't mean its going to be performed well, and likewise, some theatre can really be brought to life by a talented cast.

we'll definitely be hearing more about theatre productions once the fringe begins

feedtheroman2

I wouldn't mind going to see Jimmy Carr with my m8s, as i think he is funny as duck.

But yeah, were only 16 :(

think we could still get in?

limmy at the stand. if you liked his world of glasgow podcasts you will like his new stand up version/show.

Went to see him last year, was v. funny......he is one crazy bloke.

Sex Panther

Got tickets for Mark Watson, Andrew Maxwell, Reg D Hunter, Stephen K Amos,

Russell Howard, Pappys Fun Club, Jimeoin, Brendon Burns and Jason Byrne.

Also want to see Jerry Sadowitz and Jimmy Carr.

Never seen Jerry live but been to see Jimmy Carr 3 times.

Don't think the girlfriend would appreciate Sadowitz too much:rolleyes:

Cat Stevens

Comedy wise, I'd reccomend Andrew Maxwell (Pleasance Courtyard), Brendon Burns (Assembly @ George St), Glenn Wool (Underbelly), Jason Byrne (Assembly @ Assembly Hall), Jimeoin (Teviot), Mark Watson (Pleasance Courtyard), Russell Howard, Reggie D Hunter (Pleasance Courtyard) and Rob Deering. Those are my safe bets and definites.

Also, make sure to check out Late n Live at Teviot.

i would agree with most of your picks there cat, but i'd pick & choose with late n live these days. its been shecht since it left wilkie house in fairness, with the exception of a few nights.

cludgie & i always used to buy the passes for late n live, which was great as it worked out hella cheap (?45 for the last 2 weeks v ?10/12 per ticket) so we ued to go to it most nights after whatever we'd been seeing that night.

phat caves really took over as the place to be, but since mickey d isn't coming this year, the phat caves won't be on sadly.

i hear both spank & andrew maxwells moonlighters are likely to be this years "in" late night spots though. spank is great, but VERY stuffy as its in a the underbelly vaults, and they really pack you in like sardines.

the stand do some really good late nighters too, so thats worth checking out.

those "several on the bill" late nighters can give you a really good feel for people you'd not necessarily go and see, or people you'll not have heard of too

70's Throwback
Cool.

What plays did you see last year?

My Filthy Hunt was my favourite ... and the same production are back this year with a new play. I'll let you find it .... look for "Elvis" ;)

Re: Consistent comedians? Seen Jiimy Carr about 5 years ago in Teviot, great ..... ever since .... especially in the EICC; poor.

:1092:

Chester™

Ive tickets for Des Clarke, Reg Hunter, Jon Richardson, Jason Byrne, Mark Watson, Michael McIntyre and Will and Greg (the latter who you may know as Gary: Tank Commander).

Mrs Chester and I are keeping our options open so we have filled up most of the first week and half with this and if anything else takes our fancy we will go to it. Didnt go for Russell Howard this year as we've got tickets to see him at the Kings in October with the same show. Im thinking of going to see Andrew Maxwell, who my mates raved about last year and maybe Jimeoin.

Is it just me or does this year's line up not look too great?

So far, I've got tickets for Ed Byrne, Stewart Lee, Aeneas Faversham Forever and Mindsqueezin' Behemoth. Looking forward to all of them. :)

Sex Panther
Ive tickets for Des Clarke, Reg Hunter, Jon Richardson, Jason Byrne, Mark Watson, Michael McIntyre and Will and Greg (the latter who you may know as Gary: Tank Commander).

Mrs Chester and I are keeping our options open so we have filled up most of the first week and half with this and if anything else takes our fancy we will go to it. Didnt go for Russell Howard this year as we've got tickets to see him at the Kings in October with the same show. Im thinking of going to see Andrew Maxwell, who my mates raved about last year and maybe Jimeoin.

Is it just me or does this year's line up not look too great?

Yeah, I thought the same. A bit gutted there's no Frankie Boyle this year as I've yet to see him. Russell Howard was the best I witnessed last year with Mark Watson the best the previous year.

Have to say, I wasn't too blown away with Des Clarke last year.

Maxwell is also very good.

Chris Evans

Not sure about the live shows as ive never seen one but i listen to Russell Howard and Jon Richardson on 6music on Sunday mornings and theres a cracking bit of banter going on.

Pete Seeger

Got tickets for Jason Byrne. Really enjoyed his show last year. Wouldn't mind seeing another couple of comedians though.

Cat Stevens
i would agree with most of your picks there cat, but i'd pick & choose with late n live these days. its been shecht since it left wilkie house in fairness, with the exception of a few nights.

cludgie & i always used to buy the passes for late n live, which was great as it worked out hella cheap (?45 for the last 2 weeks v ?10/12 per ticket) so we ued to go to it most nights after whatever we'd been seeing that night.

phat caves really took over as the place to be, but since mickey d isn't coming this year, the phat caves won't be on sadly.

i hear both spank & andrew maxwells moonlighters are likely to be this years "in" late night spots though. spank is great, but VERY stuffy as its in a the underbelly vaults, and they really pack you in like sardines.

the stand do some really good late nighters too, so thats worth checking out.

those "several on the bill" late nighters can give you a really good feel for people you'd not necessarily go and see, or people you'll not have heard of too

Am I right in thinking that his late night effort is called Maxwell's Full Mooners? Or am I talking baws?

Am I right in thinking that his late night effort is called Maxwell's Full Mooners? Or am I talking baws?

no, you're right, it IS the fullmooners.

i'm getting pre fest fever and typing too badly, and thinking badly.

Jimeoin (Teviot)

I went to see Jimeoin a couple of years back with two of my mates. I had bumped his show up to the high heavens beforehand. He wasn't very good.

Durdmeister

Does anybody know if there is anywhere you can still pick up a Bill Bailey ticket? Was on holiday while they were on sale and am truly gutted to miss out!

deesidejambo

Jeez is Jerry Sadowitz still going? I saw him about 1986 at the Playhouse. Funny as feck.

Rick Grimes

got tickets for Tim Vine, Jim Jeffries, Jason Byrne & Rhod Gilbert in the first 5 days. cannae wait :)

Archived