Edinburgh Fringe 2008 - Which shows to see

Bigsmak

Sex Panther
got tickets for Tim Vine, Jim Jeffries, Jason Byrne & Rhod Gilbert in the first 5 days. cannae wait :)

Previews and twofers? Most of mine are the same.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say cheers to Bev for the Tim Minchin recommendation.

He is freakin' awesome.

Since you posted that video, I've been watching clips of him on youtube. I was worried when I went to see him last night that I would have spoit it for myself, but it was all new material and it was fantastic.

I won't spoit it by sharing all the jokes, you've got to go and see this show for yourself!

Carl Weathers

I'm going to see Miles Jupp - has anyone seen him before?

I've only seen him on the tv and thought he was pretty good.

miles-jupp-2005-may.jpg

Sexton Hardcastle

Just got 4 tickets for jimmy Carr on the 17th. Never been to live stand up. Is it just similar to his dvds i take it? I wanted to get Russel Howards tickets as well but i think there not on sale yet??

Just a quick note to say cheers to Bev for the Tim Minchin recommendation.

He is freakin' awesome.

Since you posted that video, I've been watching clips of him on youtube. I was worried when I went to see him last night that I would have spoit it for myself, but it was all new material and it was fantastic.

I won't spoit it by sharing all the jokes, you've got to go and see this show for yourself!

i'm seeing him on sunday :D

Never been to live stand up.

Make sure you heckle him. The comics love it.

Have to say I despair when I see a thread about the festival and so many people are going to see stand-ups. And to make it worse they tend to choose the ones that have been on tv. Utter laziness. :sad:

Have to say I despair when I see a thread about the festival and so many people are going to see stand-ups. And to make it worse they tend to choose the ones that have been on tv. Utter laziness. :sad:

Fair point.

Seen a great play/theatre production last year called "My Filthy Hunt", they have another production this year titled "Elvis Hates Me".

Just back from seeing two shows tonight.

1. News Revue - pretty good stuff. Good take on Gordon Brown/New Labour, Dubbya, Obama, Richard & Judy, Tesco's. Ok I better keep quiet.

2. Karen Dunbar (her stand up show) - also pretty good.

I've got tickets for: Absolution (a play), Brendan Burns, Bob Doolally, and On the Waterfront. I'll keep KBer's posted with my reviews.

Oh, and I've got a ticket for Hearts v. Hull City on Sunday.

Thats not in the Fringe brochure though.

Thats why I started this thread. I want to hear peoples opinions about guys and gals I haven't heard of yet!

SO who do you recommend?

SO who do you recommend?

For the first time in many years I don't have any. :sad:

That just leaves me with my other strategy of looking at the early reviews and seeing who's getting rated a "must see".

Era Macaroons
Glenn wool is very funny also Hibs Vs Boro should be good for a laugh

You must be easily amused...saw him last night and thought he was guff, left before the end.

He couldnt deal with any crowd interaction, absolutley NO big laughs either.

However if ' being stoned when your 16' is worth 25 mins of comedy time then you'll enjoy this show.

I've got tickets for Jason Byrne. I can highly recommend his shows, been going to see him in the Festival for about 10 years now. Just don't sit near the front/end of row if you're not keen on audience participation!

I agree with Therapist that it's boring to see people that you watch on TV all the time.

I have seen a few reasonably well known acts this year but also a lot of random stuff.

Here are my top shows:

Tim Minchin

Nina Conti

Jim Jeffries

Tommy and the Weeks - Powershow

Marcus Birdman

I've seen a few theatre shows as well, with the best one being "The Patriot Act".

I've wriiten reviews for all 16 shows that I've seen so far in my blog (address below in my sig).

I agree with Therapist that it's boring to see people that you watch on TV all the time.

I have seen a few reasonably well known acts this year but also a lot of random stuff.

Here are my top shows:

Tim Minchin

Nina Conti

Jim Jeffries

Marcus Birdman

I've seen a few theatre shows as well, with the best one being "The Patriot Act".

I've wriiten reviews for all 16 shows that I've seen so far in my blog (address below in my sig).

:eek:

Seen her last year ...... she was RANK!

:eek:

Seen her last year ...... she was RANK!

I thought she was really good. She's still the best ventriloquist I've ever seen.

Each to their own I suppose.

She's still the best ventriloquist I've ever seen.

Each to their own I suppose.

Really?

She is cute though.

Really?

She is cute though.

I'd definately get her pumped.

I think the monkey is more cute though.

this_is_my_story
Ive tickets for Des Clarke, Reg Hunter, Jon Richardson, Jason Byrne, Mark Watson, Michael McIntyre and Will and Greg (the latter who you may know as Gary: Tank Commander).

Mrs Chester and I are keeping our options open so we have filled up most of the first week and half with this and if anything else takes our fancy we will go to it. Didnt go for Russell Howard this year as we've got tickets to see him at the Kings in October with the same show. Im thinking of going to see Andrew Maxwell, who my mates raved about last year and maybe Jimeoin.

Is it just me or does this year's line up not look too great?

Just noticed this when reading through the thread, is this the guy that pretends to be gay? If so, he is absolutely hilarious! He's a pal of my mate's sister, or some such connection. My mate has a dvd recording of a show that he'd done on (I think) channel 4, where he's a fictional tank commander. Unless he's a one-trick pony, I can't underdstand how he's not more well known, the guy is riotously funny.

thehibsareintheirbeds

been to see a few shows over the last couple of days but was totally blown away by reginald d hunter last night. not really seen much of him before but he was absolutely superb- he does a bit of everything- topical stuff mixed with pure filth and ridiculously un pc stuff- but always laugh out loud funny.

he's playing the pleasance grand at 11.15 so ideal for a fair few beers in the courtyard and then the show. no country for grown men indeed.

been to see a few shows over the last couple of days but was totally blown away by reginald d hunter last night. not really seen much of him before but he was absolutely superb- he does a bit of everything- topical stuff mixed with pure filth and ridiculously un pc stuff- but always laugh out loud funny.

he's playing the pleasance grand at 11.15 so ideal for a fair few beers in the courtyard and then the show. no country for grown men indeed.

You were in the same room as me. :P He was great!

How atrocious is the Royal Mile? I always forget how much I hate being flyer-ed... :mad: We were on the lower stage at one point, though, so it wasn't all bad.

You must be easily amused...saw him last night and thought he was guff, left before the end.

He couldnt deal with any crowd interaction, absolutley NO big laughs either.

However if ' being stoned when your 16' is worth 25 mins of comedy time then you'll enjoy this show.

seen him last two years and he was very good. I am going this year as well so I cannot comment on this years show yet. Comedy is a difficult thing to recommend though. Maybe I should get stonedbefore I go as there is no chance of me being 16 again.

Just been told the wife's off to see the Soweto Gospel Choir. [modedit]

Just noticed this when reading through the thread, is this the guy that pretends to be gay? If so, he is absolutely hilarious! He's a pal of my mate's sister, or some such connection. My mate has a dvd recording of a show that he'd done on (I think) channel 4, where he's a fictional tank commander. Unless he's a one-trick pony, I can't underdstand how he's not more well known, the guy is riotously funny.

It is. His real name is Greg McHugh. Ive seen his stand up show (not as Gary) and he is brillant. Saw his sketch show with the other guy (Will) and it was fairly good. Some hilarious bits, but mostly decent. Recommendable.

none they are a bunch of middle class spongers, dont encourage the crusty barstewards

Have you ever been to a show?

Pants Shaton

Saw Ed Byrne tonight - very good. Not to be confused with Jason Byrne who is about as funny as cancer.

Have you ever been to a show?

why would i line their oxbridge pockets, they could always get a real job.

why would i line their oxbridge pockets, they could always get a real job.

I work in a theatre.

I didn't go to Oxbridge, and I don't work with anyone else who did.

I was brought up in a corporation house in Granton.

But never mind, you stick to your stereotypes.

I work in a theatre.

I didn't go to Oxbridge, and I don't work with anyone else who did.

I was brought up in a corporation house in Granton.

But never mind, you stick to your stereotypes.

I have a funny feeling it may be a bunch of posh students in a small room in a hotel that nobody else wanted as a venue.

Quite. :)

Saw Ed Byrne tonight - very good. Not to be confused with Jason Byrne who is about as funny as cancer.

i'm so sorry to hear that your funny bone is broken

personally, i find jason byrne hilarious.

therapist, i hear the soweto choir are fanforkingtastic. not seen them, but everyone raves about them

glad to hear people are enjoying reg hunter, he is a top bloke as well as a very funny comic. he is one of the nicest men i know.

oh, and to whoever it was that said about lining middle class peoples pockets......

most shows (other than top selling comics) run at a loss because edinburgh is soooooo expensive to put a show on, most people lose money hand over fit, because venue owners, hoteliers and guest houses are greedy barsteward who rip people off as much as they can get away with

go and see new acts and theatre shows from people you've never heard of and all because, while you'll find a few duds, you WILL see stuff people will be talking about by the end of the month.

finally, listen to people in bars, the pleasance courtyard, teviot beer garden etc, and blag as many tickets as you can. you'll find hidden gems if you do

My workmates and I are out tomorrow, starting at 11 in the pub then heading up to Jim Bowen at Teviot Sq for 12:30, then a wee wander down via several pubs to the assembly rooms at 18:00 for the legend that is Roy Walker:)

Cannae Wait:dribble:

Quite. :)

But there is a difference between an uninformed stereotype and an opinion based on experience and knowledge.

Ivanauskas33

Here are my top shows:

Tim Minchin

Nina Conti

Jim Jeffries

Marcus Birdman

Really enjoyed reading some of your reviews so far. Sounds like you've managed to get to some excellent shows aswell. The Patriot Act sounds interesting. And I think I'll check out Jim Jeffries aswell, he was excellent last year, the year before and it sounds like more of the same this year.

But there is a difference between an uninformed stereotype and an opinion based on experience and knowledge.

But you haven't seen our show yet, so you can't have experience of it... :sad:

Once you've come and paid to see it, you can say whatever you like. :)

jambostuart

I recommend Whiskey Bars at The Vault. It's an excellent show with songs written by the same bloke who wrote "Mack The Knife" (it actually features Mack The Knife at one point). Has nothing to do with the fact I'm teching it...honest.;)

I'm also teching Confessions And Obsessions of a 30 Something Divorcee but that's more for the ladies.

I recommend Whiskey Bars at The Vault. It's an excellent show with songs written by the same bloke who wrote "Mack The Knife" (it actually features Mack The Knife at one point). Has nothing to do with the fact I'm teching it...honest.;)

I'm also teching Confessions And Obsessions of a 30 Something Divorcee but that's more for the ladies.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the chap that wrote Mack The Knife. He died quite some time ago.

Kalamazoo Jambo
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the chap that wrote Mack The Knife. He died quite some time ago.

They could all be Kurt Weill songs?

Kalamazoo Jambo
I apologise. I misread that and thought he meant original songs.

Just did some checking and it is indeed Weill songs.

Sadly I'm going to miss the Festival this year. Going to have to make do with the Kalamazoo Shoegazer festival instead :P

Sex Panther
Ivan Brackenbury and Andrew Maxwell on August 16th for me!

Check them out on you tube.

Went to see both IB and AM yesterday.

With IB, the jokes wore off about half way through but it was still entertaining enough.

Andrew Maxwell only done about 45 minutes of an hour set although he was still good.

IMO.

Archived