Edinburgh Fringe 2008 - Which shows to see

Bigsmak

saw Roy Walker - Goodbye Mr Chips yesterday

was very good, and he got some people up to play the carpark catchphrase thing tht he does on radio 1

also that catchphrase was shown

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sex Panther

I thoroughly enjoyed Pappys Fun Club(nominees for the if.comeddies last year) @ the Pleasance Cavern. They have been the best I've seen so far.

Also went to see Brendon Burns(winner last year) on Friday and if this years shows are anything to go by, PFC were robbed as Burns was quite average at best.

IMO.

Went to see Tim Vine last night with the bird. I thought it would be ****e but it was pretty funny. And not a single swear word either. **** me.

Just bought tickets for Stewart Lee on Wednesday. Always guaranteed to be good.

http://www.festivalofpolitics.org.uk/index.htm

A Life in Politics: Douglas Hurd

A former diplomat, and private Secretary to Edward Heath, Douglas Hurd was one of the most enduring members of the Thatcher and Major governments. As Secretary of State for Northern Ireland , he was instrumental in bringing about the Anglo-Irish Agreement. As Foreign Secretary, he oversaw the end of the Cold War, as well as the UK 's diplomatic response to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait . Join Lord Hurd as he talks about his role during the Thatcher-Major era, and Britain 's changing role in world politics. Chaired by Alasdair Morgan MSP , Deputy Presiding Officer.

17.00 (18.00) Main Chamber

?6.00 (?3.50)

BSL

Book in advance

I saw Jo Caulfield at The Stand 3 on saturday night. She was very funny and quite slick, but some of her humour was more slanted towards the ladies. Overall 7/10.

grumpyjambo
http://www.festivalofpolitics.org.uk/index.htm

A Life in Politics: Douglas Hurd

A former diplomat, and private Secretary to Edward Heath, Douglas Hurd was one of the most enduring members of the Thatcher and Major governments. As Secretary of State for Northern Ireland , he was instrumental in bringing about the Anglo-Irish Agreement. As Foreign Secretary, he oversaw the end of the Cold War, as well as the UK 's diplomatic response to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait . Join Lord Hurd as he talks about his role during the Thatcher-Major era, and Britain 's changing role in world politics. Chaired by Alasdair Morgan MSP , Deputy Presiding Officer.

17.00 (18.00) Main Chamber

?6.00 (?3.50)

BSL

Book in advance

Dont waste your time, there will be plenty of tickets to pay at the door.

This might be a completely stupid question but is the half price ticket hut there as normal this year? Can't find anything on the Fringe website about it? If it is, what time will it open around? Thinking of going up Wed morning to try see something.

Just back from watching "The War my Grandfather Fought" at the Underbelly in Niddry Street. The one man performance was outstanding and for anyone interested in WW1 a must see. Simply first class!

So far in my work the must see is Deepcut by Sherman Cymru Theatre. The story of a female soldier who was one of the "suicides" at the Deepcut Barracks.

Just back from seeing two shows tonight.

1. News Revue - pretty good stuff. Good take on Gordon Brown/New Labour, Dubbya, Obama, Richard & Judy, Tesco's. Ok I better keep quiet.

2. Karen Dunbar (her stand up show) - also pretty good.

I've got tickets for: Absolution (a play), Brendan Burns, Bob Doolally, and On the Waterfront. I'll keep KBer's posted with my reviews.

Oh, and I've got a ticket for Hearts v. Hull City on Sunday.

Thats not in the Fringe brochure though.

Absolution - [B]excellent. One man show starring Owen O'Neill.

Admittedly, not everybody's cup of tea - child abuse within the Catholic Church, and the story is about the death of 5 priests. 7/10[/b]

Brendan Burns - Good in parts, average in others. 5/10

This might be a completely stupid question but is the half price ticket hut there as normal this year? Can't find anything on the Fringe website about it? If it is, what time will it open around? Thinking of going up Wed morning to try see something.

Half Price Hut "starts" tomorrow, and should open pretty early. :)

Btw, if you're looking for a comedy show, go and see Aeneas Faversham Forever. Just back from seeing it; best thing I've seen so far. It's absolutely excellent. :thumb:

Half Price Hut "starts" tomorrow, and should open pretty early. :)

Btw, if you're looking for a comedy show, go and see Aeneas Faversham Forever. Just back from seeing it; best thing I've seen so far. It's absolutely excellent. :thumb:

Cheers. Think the other half is going to pick something so i'll sit and wait anxiously.

She was talking about something involving puppets the other day...

Pete Seeger
Saw Ed Byrne tonight - very good. Not to be confused with Jason Byrne who is about as funny as cancer.

I went to see Jason on Sunday night and I thought he was brilliant. Each to their own and all that i suppose.

Sex Panther

Shows I have seen so far:

Jason Byrne - 8/10

Brendon Burns - 5/10

Pappys Fun Club - 9/10

Jimeoin - 7/10

Ivan Brackenbury - 6/10

Justin Moorhouse - 8/10

Andrew Maxwell - 7/10

Mark Watson - 7/10

Stephen K Amos - 8/10

Reginald D Hunter - 7/10 (Also heard some of the weirdest heckling ever at this show last night)

Still to see Russell Howard, Jimmy Carr and Jerry Sadowitz. And possibly Michael McIntyre.

Era Macaroons
seen him last two years and he was very good. I am going this year as well so I cannot comment on this years show yet. Comedy is a difficult thing to recommend though. Maybe I should get stonedbefore I go as there is no chance of me being 16 again.

:)

Fair enough, I'm sure his show will improve with each performance.

and of course your obvioulsy into him if this is your 3rd visit to see him, enjoy. Ill look forward to your verdict once youve been.

Jambo Hud316

So far I've been to see

About Robert The Bruce - Bruce Fummey (beehive) 7/10 - a lot of historical info mixed with good humour from Bruce

No country for Old Men - Reginald D Hunter (pleasance courtyard) 8/10 - the aids joke was so close to the bone but had me laughing hard :)

Look at what you could have won - Jim Bowen (Udderbellys Pasture) 8/10 - Would have been better but at the viewing I seen he interviewed street performers from the show ho ho hamlet and they were very boring, Jim was on top form though and my only other gripe was that I wasn't one of the audience members that was picked to play bullseye...highly recommend though

Potted Pirates (pleasance courtyard) - 7/10 - One for the kids but enough there to keep adults entertained also

Second - Stephen Grant (Pleasance Courtyard) 9/10 - My highlight so far, very funny start to the show and his letter sending true story gag is worth the entrance money alone....A MUST SEE

Romanov Stole My Pension
saw Roy Walker - Goodbye Mr Chips yesterday

was very good, and he got some people up to play the carpark catchphrase thing tht he does on radio 1

also that catchphrase was shown

I saw his show yesterday, thought it was okay, my mate won the carpark catchphrase.

But later on i went to see Andrew Maxwell (really good) and I ended up SITTING BESIDE ROY WALKER! Really nice guy, had a good chat.

Went to "sh@ggers" at the Meadow bar last night.

3 different comedians have 20 minutes each to tell stories about sex.

It was hilarious. It'll change evrey night, but based on last night it was definately worth going to see.

OK... From the recommendations here.. We are going to see

Pappy's Fun Club tonight.

Will let you know what we think

I'm being taken to the Ministry of Burlesque's Edinburgh High Tease (featuring "Battle of Burlesque") tomorrow night.

I wasn't sure what to expect really but have just found out it's being filmed by Bizarre Magazine.

This week have seen

Lie of the Land at the Pleasance - good enough acting but rather predictable conclusion. Billed as a comedy. 6/10

Stephen Berkoff's On the Waterfront at the Pleasance - loved it and Berkoff's wonderful anti- realism style. The acting, lighting and staging are all excellent and Terry Molloy still won't die. Worth seeing. 9/10

Footsbarn's A Midsummer Night's Dream

at the top of Calton Hill. Took me a wee while to get over Titania's Shakespeare with a bizarre Japanese accent but in the end it didn't matter. Magical, colourful and at times quite captivating with clever humour and vivid characters. The cast seemed to really enjoy themselves. Borrow a child to take with you. 8/10

Barb Jungr at the Queen's Hall. An interpretation of Nina Simone's music by a woman with a truly fabulous voice. Her arrangements of L Cohen and B Dylan's music were wonderfully sympathetic. Would go and see her again. 9/10

good stuff barby

i really fancy seeing on the waterfront cos i love berkoff. i remember when barb junger used to do the singing on the julian clary show, that woman has an unusuakl voice. i can see (well imagine hearing) her handling nina simone stuff really well. she's great.

husref musemic

went to see Tim Minchin last night, brilliant show. smart comedy, good singer and well worth it.

Going into Edinburgh today with the wee one, Is there anything on at the Meadows today or just street shows in the Royal Mile?:)

I went to the Office Party at the Udderbelly and ended up on stage naked. Was really good, best done when pished. Nakedness not mandatory.

Went to the Assembly on the Mound the day, to see some Brazilian dance show which kicks off at 6.50pm.

If I said it was alright....

...you'd have to call be a born again liar.

Pesh. Luckily, I didn't pay for the tickets.

Deodato

The Old Tolbooth

We seen a guy outside the Tron pub who started performing around 5pm ish, I think he does that every night to promote his show which is downstairs in the Tron from 6-7pm until the 25th of August. The guys name is David McSavage, and he was very very funny.

I cant recall seeing a crowd of that size gathering to see anyone else at the festival before, it was huge! Well worth seeing if you haven't already, and even if you have, well worth seeing again :D

Everybody loves Baz

Going to see comedian Stephn K Amos tonight at the Pleasance, Been reading the reviews and by all accounts he's been brilliant.

Only bit of advice i seem to have picked up is not to sit in the fronts rows as he rips the pish out of everyone.

Sounds good.:)

The Old Tolbooth
Going to see comedian Stephn K Amos tonight at the Pleasance, Been reading the reviews and by all accounts he's been brilliant.

Only bit of advice i seem to have picked up is not to sit in the fronts rows as he rips the pish out of everyone.

And lets face it mate, you'd be easy to rip ;)

Everybody loves Baz
And lets face it mate, you'd be easy to rip ;)

I'll be in the back rows;)

Anyway, away you and throw sheeite at yersel :mad:

husref musemic

Ed Byrne last night, the best anyone (6 off us) could come up with was 'Alright'. very average for ?15.50.

seen better for half the price

Angry Haggis

I would highly recommend the following comedy night, I went last year. ?2 to see 4 comedians in the BMC club...

Friday 15th:

THE FUNNIEST MIRTHMAKERS IN EDINBURGH AT THE HAPPIEST PRICE - TICKETS ?2

The return of the People?s Festival?s famous comedy night. The finest and funniest mirth makers in Edinburgh turn up in Gorgie. Four of the top comedians in the city, who would cost you ?15 each to see elsewhere, together in Gorgie for ?2. Are we kidding! NO. Again get there early to avoid disappointment !

8pm - BMC Club, Wheatfield Street, Gorgie.

http://www.edinburghpeoplesfestival.org.uk/Whats_On_2008/WhatsOn2008.htm

Went to see the Grease Lightning Drag Show last night at Teviot, was really good night, had everyone hand jiving and singing along!

Was he any good?

He compared a BBC-filmed comedy show i was at about 4/5 years ago and was funnier than the all comedians on the actual bill put together.

Got tickets to see Seymour Mace, Arnold Brown, the Best of Irish and Andrew Maxwell all on the 12th. Hopefully a good days entertainment.

Went to see Neil Delamere last year. Absolutely fantastic. Can't recommend him highly enough...not too well known over here, but huge in Ireland...well worth a visit if you are looking for a show to see.

The Establishment

Does anyone just go to random shows with no knowledge of the act whatsoever???

I was tempted to go to something tonight but would presume all the acts ive heard of will be sold out so would be risking it on a little known act??

Is it worth a pop?? I suppose it depends on the act! :)

Just booked tickets for the Chinese circus....Then he phones I might have a meeting Tuesday night. So if you hear of a murder in Edinburgh and the man chocked to death on paper, you will know where I put the tickets....:P

We WILL be going :)

Ed Byrne last night, the best anyone (6 off us) could come up with was 'Alright'. very average for ?15.50.

seen better for half the price

Bugger, going on Thursday.

Went to see Michael MacIntyre at pleasance on Thursday past, he was excellent.

Saw Russell Howard last year, he is up again and I would recommend him for sure.

Carl Weathers
Just booked tickets for the Chinese circus....Then he phones I might have a meeting Tuesday night. So if you hear of a murder in Edinburgh and the man chocked to death on paper, you will know where I put the tickets....:P

We WILL be going :)

Just back - thought it was great.

I would highly recommend the following comedy night, I went last year. ?2 to see 4 comedians in the BMC club...

Friday 15th:

THE FUNNIEST MIRTHMAKERS IN EDINBURGH AT THE HAPPIEST PRICE - TICKETS ?2

The return of the People?s Festival?s famous comedy night. The finest and funniest mirth makers in Edinburgh turn up in Gorgie. Four of the top comedians in the city, who would cost you ?15 each to see elsewhere, together in Gorgie for ?2. Are we kidding! NO. Again get there early to avoid disappointment !

8pm - BMC Club, Wheatfield Street, Gorgie.

http://www.edinburghpeoplesfestival.org.uk/Whats_On_2008/WhatsOn2008.htm

I take it it's only on Friday, or do you know if they are at any other venue on another night as Friday is a big No No for us:sad:

Ivanauskas33
Does anyone just go to random shows with no knowledge of the act whatsoever???

I was tempted to go to something tonight but would presume all the acts ive heard of will be sold out so would be risking it on a little known act??

Is it worth a pop?? I suppose it depends on the act! :)

There actually seems to be plenty tickets left for alot of the well known acts. I suppose if you go to an unheard of one you might discover a future star. Then you can boast to everyone that you saw them before they were famous :)

This week have seen

Lie of the Land at the Pleasance - good enough acting but rather predictable conclusion. Billed as a comedy. 6/10

Stephen Berkoff's On the Waterfront at the Pleasance - loved it and Berkoff's wonderful anti- realism style. The acting, lighting and staging are all excellent and Terry Molloy still won't die. Worth seeing. 9/10

Footsbarn's A Midsummer Night's Dream

at the top of Calton Hill. Took me a wee while to get over Titania's Shakespeare with a bizarre Japanese accent but in the end it didn't matter. Magical, colourful and at times quite captivating with clever humour and vivid characters. The cast seemed to really enjoy themselves. Borrow a child to take with you. 8/10

Barb Jungr at the Queen's Hall. An interpretation of Nina Simone's music by a woman with a truly fabulous voice. Her arrangements of L Cohen and B Dylan's music were wonderfully sympathetic. Would go and see her again. 9/10

I saw On the Waterfront today.

Excellent show, so atmospheric, and the scene where the cast were imitating pigeons was a brilliant example of improvisation, but funny with it.

'Terry Molloy' was excellent.

Went to see Janey Godley tonight in her show called Domestic Godley.

Very funny.

So down to earth, she even welcomes all the audience into their seats making quips about them being part of her family. Hilarious.

Comedy wise I've seen Karen Dunbar, Brendan Burns and Janey Godley.

She's the best of the three.

Off to see Bob Dollally tomorrow night.

I'll keep you posted.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the chap that wrote Mack The Knife. He died quite some time ago.

It's about a performer who idolises Kurt Weill, it features songs by him. It's an excellent play.

Was at the Chinese circus last night. Loved it.

Shoalin warriors are good, start training when they are 4.

Loved the work on the silks, thought it was romantic :confused:

Watched one of the street entertainers on Sunday night.A juggler named bennyb.Run of the mill until the last 15mins,when he started to doing his act on a ladder.Impressed me enough to give him a couple of quid.

Ended up in the Malt'n shuvel after where there was a group of young friends jamming away in the middle bar.Really enjoyed them.One of the singers was really good.Do not know if this is a regular thing but it was good to see a simple idea give a great couple hours of entertainment.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Nick Doody, English comedian. Good value for money, the guy is going places.

Also saw Tim Minchin, Jim Jeffries, Mark Watson and Reginald D Hunter, all recommended.

Everybody loves Baz
Was he any good?

He compared a BBC-filmed comedy show i was at about 4/5 years ago and was funnier than the all comedians on the actual bill put together.

Regarding Stephen .k Amos

Didn't find him side splitting funny but he was good enough.

Archived