Mondays meet in lithuania

Cliffundo

For goodness sake!

I have met John Borthwick once, in the early days when some people were thinking of starting a Trust. He came over as a very reasonable guy - far from an egotist.

He has been at pains NOT to make any claims to be representing anyone other than the people who have paid their membership fees for supporters clubs and have elected him.

He has been invited over,as a representative of a large fans grouping (probably the largest in existence), presumably because Romanov wants to talk to somebody who can speak for some of the fans.

I can't believe people are slagging him off for agreeing to go/ not reporting back to all hearts fans (in which case there would have been a loud chorus of people griping and moaning that "he doesn't represent me/ my views").

What should he have done? refused? How would that have helped the situation we are in? Why are people slagging him off before he has even got back from the meeting?

I am a member of London Hearts Supporters Club - pretty sure we aren't one of the Federation because we don't run a regular trip. However I have no problem whatsoever with John and his colleague going to meet Romanov, trying to put over the viewpoints he has gathered from the member clubs and trying to influence Romanov to get good management in and respond to some of our other concerns.

He will then presumably report back to his members as he should then the rest of us can wait until we hear it from members of the federation.

I can't see the problem with any of that either from Romanov or the Federation, and I welcome the fact that there is a dialogue going on between the Club's owners and the Club's fans..

rant over

I don't think one person on this thread or the previous one has criticised JB. People have criticised the nature of the supporters clubs and also the club itself but I haven't seen anything aimed at John's decision to go.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scott herbertson
I don't think one person on this thread or the previous one has criticised JB. People have criticised the nature of the supporters clubs and also the club itself but I haven't seen anything aimed at John's decision to go.

"A private club for the chosen few who use it to elevate themselves to a supposed position of influence and handy for a few invites/freebies."

sounds pretty critical to me, and of the motivation behind them going.

portobellojambo1
so the fans forum represents the fans, the fhsc represent others....

etc etc

(A) I have never been invited/offered membership of any (including the FF)

(B) Maybe John Borthwick is a sound guy who doesnt try and claim more power than he has, HOWEVER, when the news etc imply he represents all the fans, he makes no rebuttal.

(A) If you are not a member of a supporters club you will not be a member of the FHSC. The Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs, as the name suggests, is an organisation based around and representing affiliated SC's. The next two I am guessing at, using the names of the organisations and what those names suggest to me, as I am a member of neither. I suspect if you are not a shareholder you will not be a member of HMSA, or not permitted to join, HMST a little more difficult, because I have never really read their website to gauge exactly what the requirements are, but I suspect the members all have money and/or shares held in trust, pooled together, and if you do not have shares and are not willing to commit some cash you may not get into HMST. Any members of either organisation, HMSA/HMST, should feel free to correct my interpretation if it is pants.

The Fans Forum is free, anyone can attend their meetings, this involves Hearts fans getting off their erses and heading along to the location at which any meetings they organise take place, a feat in itself.

(B) Can you tell me the last time John Borthwick's name appeared in the press, because I cannot remember, mainly because the FHSC do NOT speak to the press. John Borthwick has never ever said he is a representative of Hearts fans in general, whenever John's name did appear in the press, and I would think we are probably going back towards the end days of SOH in reality since he was last quoted, he was speaking on behalf of the FHSC, in his elected capacity within that organisation. However if you have read something recently, quoting John's name, it would be nice to have a link to it, to see what was said.

What would this group be called? The Peoples front of JKB or the JKB Peoples front?

I haven't read back to see where this notion came from but JKB is a discussion board not a supporters group with any form of constitution. There's Hibees on here FFS.

Splitters!

That statement is utter pi$h. That letter came from certain members of the Trust board, and it didn't involve any other organisation. Not all on the Trust board agreed with the letter, and made their feelings known at the time. My own views were published on JKB at the time as a matter of record.

As an aside, the stick that John and Stevie are getting on this board is absolutely unbelievable. I know these guys and both will put the best interest of the club first. I would assume that there will be a statement from the club regarding any talks that took place rather than a statement from the two individuals. Then again, i've been wrong in the past.

I'm sure they will put what they think is best for the club first but some fans think we should object to the council about the building of the new stand and I'm sure they think this is in the best interests of the club as they are Hearts fans. :527:

Obviously they types are just loony but you know what I mean.

I think the club is entirely in the wrong for meeting with representatives of the federation.

I think the federation has a moral choice. They have no commitment whatsoever to releasing the information for consumption of all Hearts fans. Their only commitment is to the fee paying members of the group who they act on behalf of. They have to weigh up that fact whilst taking into account that the club is currently in a very unusual position and they have been granted a very priviliged audience.

I'd imagine their decision will become apparent over the next couple of days.

I'm hoping that any information gained is released publicly.

broxburnjambo
I think the club is entirely in the wrong for meeting with representatives of the federation.

I think the federation has a moral choice. They have no commitment whatsoever to releasing the information for consumption of all Hearts fans. Their only commitment is to the fee paying members of the group who they act on behalf of. They have to weigh up that fact whilst taking into account that the club is currently in a very unusual position and they have been granted a very priviliged audience.

I'd imagine their decision will become apparent over the next couple of days.

I'm hoping that any information gained is released publicly.

The club would be in the wrong in many peoples eyes on this forum, whoever they asked to attend.

Whoever attended was always going to get stick. In your eyes, who do you feel is better equiped to attend this meeting than JB and SG from the Federation.

You are quick to bring the federation down, but offer no other alternative, to who should have attended.

As for the information you, i, and many more want on this forum,it should come from Hearts and not the Federation.

The club would be in the wrong in many peoples eyes on this forum, whoever they asked to attend.

Whoever attended was always going to get stick. In your eyes, who do you feel is better equiped to attend this meeting than JB and SG from the Federation.

You are quick to bring the federation down, but offer no other alternative, to who should have attended.

As for the information you, i, and many more want on this forum, should come from Hearts and not the Federation.

I would have preferred to see an open forum for questioning on the website so that all Hearts fans regardless of outside commitments could have their input.

givememychoice
(A) If you are not a member of a supporters club you will not be a member of the FHSC. The Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs, as the name suggests, is an organisation based around and representing affiliated SC's. The next two I am guessing at, using the names of the organisations and what those names suggest to me, as I am a member of neither. I suspect if you are not a shareholder you will not be a member of HMSA, or not permitted to join, HMST a little more difficult, because I have never really read their website to gauge exactly what the requirements are, but I suspect the members all have money and/or shares held in trust, pooled together, and if you do not have shares and are not willing to commit some cash you may not get into HMST. Any members of either organisation, HMSA/HMST, should feel free to correct my interpretation if it is pants.

The Fans Forum is free, anyone can attend their meetings, this involves Hearts fans getting off their erses and heading along to the location at which any meetings they organise take place, a feat in itself.

(B) Can you tell me the last time John Borthwick's name appeared in the press, because I cannot remember, mainly because the FHSC do NOT speak to the press. John Borthwick has never ever said he is a representative of Hearts fans in general, whenever John's name did appear in the press, and I would think we are probably going back towards the end days of SOH in reality since he was last quoted, he was speaking on behalf of the FHSC, in his elected capacity within that organisation. However if you have read something recently, quoting John's name, it would be nice to have a link to it, to see what was said.

Thanks PJ1

A)seems FF is the one for me...they should advertise more :)

b)not for a while, and, i agree with what you say, as i said, he doesnt claim to represent hearts fans...but there are times when the press imply that he does

broxburnjambo
I would have preferred to see an open forum for questioning on the website so that all Hearts fans regardless of outside commitments could have their input.

You have probably answered the question that i and many other people on here have grave concerns about.

You would rather have an open forum, where hobos, journolists etc can ask questions of the Hearts board.

You and many others love to sit on their backsides behind a computer screen and have your say. JB and SG,wont be seen posting on here, but people that know these guys will know that they are working hard along with the Federation to improve communication to the fans via Hearts.

I would rather these people went to the meeting, than someone from Hearts trawling through hundreds of threads, where they havnt a clue who is who and passing these questions on to Romanov.

You have probably answered the question that i and many other people on here have grave concerns about.

You would rather have an open forum, where hobos, journolists etc can ask questions of the Hearts board.

You and many others love to sit on their backsides behind a computer screen and have your say. JB and SG,wont be seen posting on here, but people that know these guys will know that they are working hard along with the Federation to improve communication to the fans via Hearts.

I would rather these people went to the meeting, than someone from Hearts trawling through hundreds of threads, where they havnt a clue who is who and passing these questions on to Romanov.

I wouldn't imagine there would be a great disparity in the questions JB and co will ask compared with the questions JKB as a whole would elect to ask.

or whoever they are, theres an awful lot of people who hide behind a username.

it least we know that it was hearts fans who were asking the questions in lithuania.

portobellojambo1
Thanks PJ1

A)seems FF is the one for me...they should advertise more :)

b)not for a while, and, i agree with what you say, as i said, he doesnt claim to represent hearts fans...but there are times when the press imply that he does

Correct givememychoice. The press put their spin on it, I am sure (well in reality I am not) when the press used the phrase "a representative of the fans" they had no intention to cause divide, but did. Unfortunately cannot blame the press for some of the personal abuse and attacks that those whose names have been used in the papers have had to suffer as a result, unfortunately the guilty parties in those cases were Hearts fans, with a different opinion/agenda.

nah... seems there's nae real news and don't expect there to be.

i'm not sure why so many people forget that the club is a business like any other, ye don't see HBOS/RBS etc inviting it's customers round in order to publicise info on the credit crunch do ya ??? the reps will only ever be able to comment on how the meeting went, they'll never get any details that everyone craves.

Archived