Joey Barton

GarryJ-o-s

HeartOfWestLothian

Sevco will sign him on a 3 year deal. I predict he will be decent the first year but will quickly decline and end up costing them a fortune in wages for a player that isn't playing.

I am sure it's a 2 year deal? That's what Raman from STV has reported anyway. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rainjurs will struggle in the top flight as they don't have any money. Mid table finish if they're lucky.

Amirite?

:cornette:

They have no money for transfer fees but due to their season ticket sales will be able to afford a few English rejects on big money. Am I bothered? No. Why? Most of their squad is rubbish and can only shine against rubbish. Before you quote the Old Firm game, near enough every team has drawn with Celtic at some point.

They have no money for transfer fees but due to their season ticket sales will be able to afford a few English rejects on big money. Am I bothered? No. Why? Most of their squad is rubbish and can only shine against rubbish. Before you quote the Old Firm game, near enough every team has at least drawn with Celtic at some point recently.

I am sure it's a 2 year deal? That's what Raman from STV has reported anyway.

Thought it would be longer with him turning down EPL wages to come up here to get security.

Big Slim Stylee

Awful player. Awful club. Awful fans.

Agree with all that.  Except the first bit:)

And so the old firm arms race begins.

Unlike 1986 when Souness appeared we (all the other clubs)should not bankrupt ourselves by trying to hold onto the OFs coat tails, they will soon bankrupt themselves by playing tit for tat

Maroonblood22

Barton is an utter dick, but there is something about him that I quite like.

:oohmatron:

chester copperpot

Is the 70k oer week being banded about for real.

Surely not. Wonder how much Burnley had offered him too.

Probs about 40k would be my guess and Rangers offered about 25k

Rudolf's Mate

I'd have thought unlikely seeing what he was on at Burnley (heard 15k). That said, they've been promoted just when the money for being in the EPL goes up even more so he must have been offered a big increase from Burnley. 

If they've gone anywhere near that they won't be bringing anyone else in that's for sure!

I could be wrong about the 15k as well as I think it was lower than that.

Jambof3tornado

Barton is a great signing for them. Horrendous shitebag who will boss games and bully refs and a hate figure for all opponents.

I hope he gets Perry'd.

I keep expecting Barton to suddenly switch at the last minute and sign for Celtic given his previously stated love for them (or resign for Burnley).

I P Knightley

He was on ?70k pw when he was at QPR but QPR was just a basket case of dodgy deals (don't forget that they had Harry Redknapp there for a little while as well as some Russian interests).

I doubt Burnley would have put him on that but am also sure it would be well overpaid for what he brings to a club.

Rangers will do the same; overpay him horrendously. Let's hope so, anyway.

doctor jambo

Somewhere around ?1million per year on Barton in wages for a player from the English  second tier, with no sell on value, at the end of his career.

Sounds about right.

I notice Boro have released Woodgate

these signings don't tend to pan out well- remember Keane and Lljunberg at Celtic?

Jeffers?

Barton is only being brought here to fight with Brown in the Derbies

The chance to get relegated again from the 'best league in the world' or sign for far bigger club, likely play in Europe and win trophies. People are far too quick to write off Scottish football and believe the hype of England.

For what it's worth Barton would probably be the best player in the SPL and while an arsehole with various notable incidents his actual on the pitch discipline isn't anywhere near as bad as many above have made out. Not a good for us if that's the level of player the Huns are going for.

Probably the most salient post on this entire thread.

ToadKiller Dog

A good short term signing for them no doubt , but very rare one guy makes a teams . Bang goes any talk they had of building a base from youth upwards .

33 going on 34 am sure our youthful talented midfielder such as Kitchen and Djoum will match up well enough to whom ever they bring in .

Not going to fear the Orcs cause they have Joey Barton .

He is hardly Paul Scoles

He will be the best midfielder up here next season imo, total arse but very good football player!!

He will piss this league.

Hate to say it but that's a superb signing for them.

Good signing, no point denying it, will be the best midfielder in the league by some distance next season.

We_are_the_Hearts

Good signing, no point denying it, will be the best midfielder in the league by some distance next season.

As it stands just now but fully expect Celtic to sign better.

Aye OK...what has the chump won in his career to date either individually or as part of a club out of interest to showcase his 'talents'? He has played on his reputation as being a bully in every sense to win any sort of 'respect' he has had in the park pure and simple...he is nowhere near being a footballer in the truest sense and his career re trophies won individually and collectively evidence that...

Awful person and awful modern day professional footballer...

Anyone with class as a player and person would deal with him up here in the correct manner and show him up for what he is now let alone what he has been...

For folk to class him in any way as a quality addition shows an alarming lack of appreciation in the difference between a good footballer and a no-mark...

32 career goals over what say 15-16 years...various convictions for assault...anyone that bottles out of playing him correctly on the park should pack up and go home now like...

CRWJambo1991

Barton bossed the championship and I expect him to do the same in Scotland.
Unbelieveable signing considering he had the possibility of playing in the Premier League.

doctor jambo

I  suspect that had he not been English he would have languished in lower league obscurity his entire career.

A major beneficiary of hype over ability

For all the EPL superstars that have joined our league, I struggle to remember a success

doctor jambo

Barton bossed the championship and I expect him to do the same in Scotland.

Unbelieveable signing considering he had the possibility of playing in the Premier League.

All I can say is that the following were "OK" in Scotland and had good careers in England

S.Pearson

A.Hutton

C.Adam

R.McCormack

S.Arfield

K.Scmeichel

The West Ham striker that couldn't score for Hibs

C.Berra

Englandshire is massively over rated- you only have to look at the utter horse ordure that Strachan picks for Scotland to see that

Billy Walsh

I'd say he's better than what Rangers currently have, but still rate guys like Rogic and Bitton way ahead of Barton.

Still think Rodgers will bring in a better midfielder than him anyway, and one who's probably less of a bellend

RustyRightPeg

Strange move for Barton IMO. In saying that, I don't see the big deal around it, we've got a better player in Kitchen with the prospect of him making us decent money from a transfer should he have a good season.

Also agree with the fact that some Celtic players will make him look bang average. Rodgers knows his stuff and should be able to attract a higher quality of player.

We_are_the_Hearts

I  suspect that had he not been English he would have languished in lower league obscurity his entire career.

A major beneficiary of hype over ability

For all the EPL superstars that have joined our league, I struggle to remember a success

Hartson, Di Canio, Sutton, Alan Thomson, Tugay, Kanchelskis. The boy Roberts has started well at Celtic.

Aye OK...what has the chump won in his career to date either individually or as part of a club out of interest to showcase his 'talents'? He has played on his reputation as being a bully in every sense to win any sort of 'respect' he has had in the park pure and simple...he is nowhere near being a footballer in the truest sense and his career re trophies won individually and collectively evidence that...

Awful person and awful modern day professional footballer...

Anyone with class as a player and person would deal with him up here in the correct manner and show him up for what he is now let alone what he has been...

For folk to class him in any way as a quality addition shows an alarming lack of appreciation in the difference between a good footballer and a no-mark...

32 career goals over what say 15-16 years...various convictions for assault...anyone that bottles out of playing him correctly on the park should pack up and go home now like...

He'll be the best midfielder in the spfl.

Who's going to be better than him?

I P Knightley

, and one who's probably less of a bellend

The bellend bar has been set at Olympic Record heights. Rogers would have to go to extraordinary lengths to out-bellend Rangers this season.

doctor jambo

Hartson, Di Canio, Sutton, Alan Thomson, Tugay, Kanchelskis. The boy Roberts has started well at Celtic.

They were all pre-sky cash splurge fest- that was another lifetime- when our league was closer fiscally- otherwise Gazza, Woods, Hignett and so on would have been mentioned- or Butcher / Souness and so on

Barton is post-fiscal-madness - that in my book means that in a desperate attempt to prove how high the quality players are to justify high salaries you get utter dug mess being paid ludicrous sums, and built up by sycophantic Murdoch press, when they far from deserve it

hence why really average/ poor Scots players have done well in the EPL

HeartOfWestLothian

Strange move for Barton IMO. In saying that, I don't see the big deal around it, we've got a better player in Kitchen with the prospect of him making us decent money from a transfer should he have a good season.

Also agree with the fact that some Celtic players will make him look bang average. Rodgers knows his stuff and should be able to attract a higher quality of player.

Kitchen is a very good player but I wouldn't say he is better than Barton at this moment. 

He'll be the best midfielder in the spfl.

Who's going to be better than him?

...in your opinion...and tbh the game has developed so much now re the breakdown of what players offer, its lazy to simply say the 'best' without offering what will make him the 'best'???? Care to expand on your thoughts?

...any number of good young hungry fairly talented younger men...

Murray Davidson will prob score more goals even though he'll be injured most of the season....add in Biton and Rogic for goals scored...Djoum in that regard too...

Jack..Kitchen..Bannigan..Irvine..Haliday etc etc will cover more ground and help their team...execute more clean challenges...find their team-mates greater with their passing...have less bookings and potentially less red cards....

Thats just off the top of my head without thinking about it too much as Barton is as much a quality footballer as Terry Hurlock or Vinny Jones were...

Livvyjambo

Great signing and a boost in general for Scottish football in terms of stature as a player for our league . Add Rodgers to that also

Unknown user

...in your opinion...and tbh the game has developed so much now re the breakdown of what players offer, its lazy to simply say the 'best' without offering what will make him the 'best'????

...any number of good young hungry fairly talented younger men...

Murray Davidson will prob score more goals even though he'll be injured most of the season....add in Biton and Rogic for goals scored...Djoum in that regard too...

Jack..Kitchen..Bannigan..Irvine..Haliday etc etc will cover more ground and help their team...execute more clean challenges...find their team-mates greater with their passing...have less bookings and potentially less red cards....

Thats just off the top of my head without thinking about it too much as Barton is as much a quality footballer as Terry Hurlock or Vinny Jones were...

Of course in his opinion, whose opinion were you expecting?

Let's not start demanding "in my opinion", it's a bit redundant!

And you're wrong, none of those players are better than Barton. In my opinion.

doctor jambo

Great signing and a boost in general for Scottish football in terms of stature as a player for our league . Add Rodgers to that also

I'm not so sure

If others think your league is a joke, the last thing you do is sign clowns

Of course in his opinion, whose opinion were you expecting?

Let's not start demanding "in my opinion", it's a bit redundant!

And you're wrong, none of those players are better than Barton. In my opinion.

...I add in 'in your opinion' to see if you have decent stats facts or figures in reply that give extra weight to your opinion which may lead to a more accepted view point as oppose to simply the 'best' is all...ie fact based matter you may simply be posting but doesnt mean its your own opinion....jeezo...

Like I say im sure the breakdown of what players bring to the park re their attributes traits and abilities re actual data will evidence the opposite to what you think...a bit flaky and subjective just repeating the word 'best' IMO as an argument..

Just for kicks (pardon the pun re Barton) what strengths, technical or otherwise as a footballer, do you think Barton has in his arsenal that will make him the 'best'??

I am curious as to how many of those bigging up Barton have watched him for Burnley? I haven't so will reserve judgement. 

On the face of it looks a good signing but I'm not going to start pishing my pants until i see him play.

Better players have come and done nothing at Rangers and Celtic.

Personally would rather bother about what we do instead of what everyone else is doing, unfortunately won't be much else to talk about for the next few weeks as sounds like we're keeping our cars close to our chest. However it's really difficult reading this board at the moment.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I am curious as to how many of those bigging up Barton have watched him for Burnley? I haven't so will reserve judgement. 

Fans player of the year.

Fans player of the year.

Aye because he can influence a game with his ego..his manner...being a bully.. his reputation...I accept from that view point he is an addition if you want to go down that route with a 34 year convicted criminal as your way to approach a game of football..but that shouldnt be confused with being a good footballer from a technical point of view....im sure the Burnley fans did appreciate those traits as it helped them win games...

RustyRightPeg

Kitchen is a very good player but I wouldn't say he is better than Barton at this moment. 

Fair enough. I think we've got a real gem on our hands in that of Kitchen. 

Unknown user

...I add in 'in your opinion' to see if you have decent stats facts or figures in reply that give extra weight to your opinion which may lead to a more accepted view point as oppose to simply the 'best' is all...ie fact based matter you may simply be posting but doesnt mean its your own opinion....jeezo...

Like I say im sure the breakdown of what players bring to the park re their attributes traits and abilities re actual data will evidence the opposite to what you think...a bit flaky and subjective just repeating the word 'best' IMO as an argument..

Just for kicks (pardon the pun re Barton) what strengths, technical or otherwise as a footballer, do you think Barton has in his arsenal that will make him the 'best'??

It wasn't me you were replying to, but I would like to point out that you seem to be basing your opinion on what other players will do next season.

Got the lotto numbers while we're at it?

It's highly subjective of course but one stat I'd give is being capped in a very competitive England midfield.

tokyowalnut

I take it everybody watched Burnley's games last season to make the judgement that he'll be the best midfielder in the league next year. He's a name but he's hardly had an illustrious career.

Roy Keane arrived with a big career, also Juninho, Ian Wright, I could go on. How did they turn out?

Give me Kitchen or Djoum over a 34 year old Barton anytime.

It's mad on here how many people want to praise Rangers whatever they do.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Aye because he can influence a game with his ego..his manner...being a bully.. his reputation...I accept from that view point he is an addition if you want to go down that route with a 34 year convicted criminal as your way to approach a game of football..but that shouldnt be confused with being a good footballer from a technical point of view....im sure the Burnley fans did appreciate those traits as it helped them win games...

Ok.

Archived