Unbelievable, Jeff! Leicester City Champions (merged)

Frank

Unknown user

It's so brilliant, Leicester are relatable in a way the big clubs can never be and that's why normal football fans everywhere are delighted for them.

Players like Mahrez are out there, going on trial to places like St Mirren - all football fans should believe it's possible after this!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unknown user

The media coverage and the false cheerleading is leaving me nauseated, not their excellent achievement.

If you read my "drama queen" post in context of the one I was replying to, you'd realise it was tongue in cheek.

Maybe I'm not the one having a "mare"

What is false cheerleading exactly and why should there not be media coverage?

Bindy Badgy

It's so brilliant, Leicester are relatable in a way the big clubs can never be and that's why normal football fans everywhere are delighted for them.

Players like Mahrez are out there, going on trial to places like St Mirren - all football fans should believe it's possible after this!

He cost them half of what we payed for Beslija. He was born in France so I would assume that he decided to play for Algeria as he wasn't deemed good enough to get a game for France.

The Treasurer

Back-pedalling furiously but ultimately still had a mare and still feeling nauseated.. Really ? Nauseated ??. Never mind. Tomorrows another day and you seem a decent sort

No back-pedalling.

My position on this topic hasn't changed.

But you're clearly a great judge of character  :tiny:

The way I see it was they were many wins in front of qualifying for the ECL Group Stages and the countless millions that brings.

It means other teams of the "unfancied" type will fancy their chances. How about our Texaco Cup opponents Burnley?!

The English could have 5 in it next season ( Liverpool Europa).

doctor jambo

A lot of it is just manufactured advertising again and it has worked brilliantly.

The underdog vs the big guns

Unheard of battlers, shoestring budget, plucky non league fighters- how football should be

The reality:-

owned by a billionaire who has bought them through the leagues

Investigation underway re financial fair play rules

Probably a bigger wage bill than most of the Bundesliga

Even their substitute Ullua cost ?8 million

Fail to see how players on average of ?20-30 k per week would not be able to compete

Hell, with a bit more consistency Aberdeen could have won the SPFL with the entire playing squad assembled for approx. 1/3 of what a Celtic Sub was bought for

The Treasurer

What is false cheerleading exactly and why should there not be media coverage?

Did anyone state there should be no media coverage ?

Certainly not me.

I refer to all those sudden Leicester "fans" who are "soooo delighted" that they've won the league yet would struggle to point out Leicester on a map or even name more than one or two players.

CollyWolly

A lot of it is just manufactured advertising again and it has worked brilliantly.

The underdog vs the big guns

Unheard of battlers, shoestring budget, plucky non league fighters- how football should be

The reality:-

owned by a billionaire who has bought them through the leagues

Probably a bigger wage bill than most of the Bundesliga.

Even their substitute Ullua cost ?8 million

Fail to see how players on average of ?20-30 k per week would not be able to compete

Hell, with a bit more consistency Aberdeen could have won the SPFL with the entire playing squad assembled for approx. 1/3 of what a Celtic Sub was bought for

I think this is one of the very few places where you could see an unexpected but fantastic achievement like this rubbished in the way it has been on here today.

Some of you clearly just don't get football, or your just making controversy to get 15 seconds of fame and attention.

Some pretty sad comments today but this tops the fecking lot

My last visit to this thread. Depressing viewpoints being expressed, spoiling the joy that true football fans are getting from this. Some of you ought to have a word, maybe with a therapist in some cases.

Unknown user

Did anyone state there should be no media coverage ?

Certainly not me.

I refer to all those sudden Leicester "fans" who are "soooo delighted" that they've won the league yet would struggle to point out Leicester on a map or even name more than one or two players.

I see, so you're humpty because lots of people with no connection to Leicester are really pleased for Leicester, right?

Thank you for clarifying

The Treasurer

I see, so you're humpty because lots of people with no connection to Leicester are really pleased for Leicester, right?

Thank you for clarifying

Not "humpty" about anything.

I just find it strange, all these people acting as if "their team" has won the league.

Don't see how I'm "clarifying" something I've been clear about from the start.

CollyWolly

Lol.

An investigation that has been on the books for nearly two years and which no one wants to touch with a barge pole because they would have to apply the findings to the top 6 clubs in England all of whom are all openly and knowinlgy engaging in far more serious FFP avoidance schemes which would kill football in that country stone dead in an instant if they were properly investigated and actioned. The can of worms that no one wants to open.

doctor jambo

I think this is one of the very few places where you could see an unexpected but fantastic achievement like this rubbished in the way it has been on here today.

Some of you clearly just don't get football, or your just making controversy to get 15 seconds of fame and attention.

Some pretty sad comments today but this tops the fecking lot

My last visit to this thread. Depressing viewpoints being expressed, spoiling the joy that true football fans are getting from this. Some of you ought to have a word, maybe with a therapist in some cases.

Because I've not fallen for the EPL hype- where a team of Internationals earning millions bank rolled by a Foreign billionaire coached by a famous manager breaching fair play rules suddenly become the saviour of the game by defeating other teams of internationals earning millions bank rolled by foreign billionaires.

Well done Leicester, I'm pleased for you, but upset of all time- eh, naw.

I'm just not that gullible

Unknown user

Not "humpty" about anything.

I just find it strange, all these people acting as if "their team" has won the league.

Don't see how I'm "clarifying" something I've been clear about from the start.

Strange? I thought you said "nauseated"?

doctor jambo

Leicester wage bill - ?48 million per annum this year

that's only a quarter of Man Utd's (?200 million)

the difference is really not that huge

Debt for Equity swaps for Leicester over the last few years is around ?200 million.

Folks idea of "normal" and "minnows" is a bit abnormal.

EPL advertising only

Just a smaller Chelsea

Unknown user

And the moral of this story is:

Never be happy for anyone, for there will be some bitter individuals who find your nerve nauseating

FFS, sign o the times like

The Treasurer

Strange? I thought you said "nauseated"?

Strangely nauseating

Does that meet with your approval or do I have to use the exact same words every time ?

Unknown user

Debt for Equity swaps for Leicester over the last few years is around ?200 million.

EPL advertising only

Just a smaller Chelsea

Ah, that'll be why they were 1/4 to win the league at the start of the season aye?

Ffs some seem determined to belittle, or be upset by what is a remarkable achievement by any standards, it's actually sad

CollyWolly

EPL advertising only

Just a smaller Chelsea

So there's little or no difference in the standard of player you get for 20 grand a week compared to the standard you get for 80 grand a week.

And all the other clubs conduct their finances above board and within FFP rules ?

No one has to even debate with you to prove your talking shite. Its clear as day from your own posts.

The Treasurer

So there's little or no difference in the standard of player you get for 20 grand a week compared to the standard you get for 80 grand a week.

And all the other clubs conduct their finances above board and within FFP rules ?

No one has to even debate with you to prove your talking shite. Its clear as day from your own posts.

You said you'd made your final visit to this thread  :sunny:

TBF when you see some of the absolute shite that is on ?70-80k a week down there, then it's fair to say that the difference is not always that great

Unknown user

Strangely nauseating

Does that meet with your approval or do I have to use the exact same words every time ?

Well they're utterly different things strange and nauseating aren't they?

Don't blame me if you're struggling to stay cohesive

CollyWolly

You said you'd made your final visit to this thread  :sunny:

Yes but his line of shite was even worse than yours so I couldn't let it pass. :uhoh2:

I could understand the nausea and the belittling of the achievement if Leicester City had gone out and spent ?100 million buying the title, like Leeds did and Blackburn and Chelsea and Man City. Manu Utd and Arsenal to a lesser extent but still effectively bought it.

Leicester didn't do that. Nothing like it.

I don't understand why genuine football fans would not find that somewhat pleasing and maybe even delightful. To rubbish it with falsehoods stinks of attention  and an almost complete misunderstanding of the joys of the game

The Treasurer

Well they're utterly different things strange and nauseating aren't they?

Don't blame me if you're struggling to stay cohesive

Sorry don't understand what you're trying to say here  :rolleyes5:

The way I see it was they were many wins in front of qualifying for the ECL Group Stages and the countless millions that brings.

It means other teams of the "unfancied" type will fancy their chances. How about our Texaco Cup opponents Burnley?!

The English could have 5 in it next season ( Liverpool Europa).

I think they lose a place if Liverpool win the Europa.  I'm not 100% but did Liverpool not take Everton's place in 2005 when they won the CL?  Only 4 max per country perhaps.

doctor jambo

Yes but his line of shite was even worse than yours so I couldn't let it pass. :uhoh2:

I could understand the nausea and the belittling of the achievement if Leicester City had gone out and spent ?100 million buying the title, like Leeds did and Blackburn and Chelsea and Man City. Manu Utd and Arsenal to a lesser extent but still effectively bought it.

Leicester didn't do that. Nothing like it.

I don't understand why genuine football fans would not find that somewhat pleasing and maybe even delightful. To rubbish it with falsehoods stinks of attention  and an almost complete misunderstanding of the joys of the game

What falsehoods?

It is the portrayal of Leicester as plucky underdogs, shoestring budget "return to what football should be"  narrative arc that is not true.

And ?20 k per week is clearly an underestimation- if it was average ?20k per week then they would have 50 players on those wages.

Just another bought, plastic club, billionaires plaything

The Internet

I think they lose a place if Liverpool win the Europa.  I'm not 100% but did Liverpool not take Everton's place in 2005 when they won the CL?  Only 4 max per country perhaps.

Yeah I think that's right. I'm not sure how accurate this is but if Liverpool win the Europa and Man City win the champions league, only the top 2 in the league get a CL spot meaning Arsenal (likely to finish third) will miss out. That could be wrong though. 

What falsehoods?

It is the portrayal of Leicester as plucky underdogs, shoestring budget "return to what football should be" narrative arc that is not true.

And ?20 k per week is clearly an underestimation- if it was average ?20k per week then they would have 50 players on those wages.

Just another bought, plastic club, billionaires plaything

Vardy is on 100k a week.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Wage bills etc, who cares, this is a team that had not won the league in 132 years, finishing 2nd only once and sat 20th in the same league only 13 months earlier. It is a modern day fairytale

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Kickback strikes again. Doesn't matter what the subject of the thread is, no matter how great, there will be some miserable ******* along to tell us how rubbish it is.

Well done Leicester on your incredible, unthinkable achievement.

alwaysthereinspirit

Kickback strikes again. Doesn't matter what the subject of the thread is, no matter how great, there will be some miserable ******* along to tell us how rubbish it is.

We certainly have a high percentage of the Rev.IM Jolly in our support.

Stop being so melodramatic. Derby, Burnley and others have won the top league in Britain. Dundee Utd being Scottish champions in 1983 is just as good an achievement. Plus United's record in Europe against Barcelona is as good as anything Leicester have achieved. No not the greatest in British football imo. But, very noteworthy indeed and many congratulations to them on a fine victory indeed.

Would agree with that. Great achievement but probably not the best.

Also Forest under Clough, promoted to top flight after finishing 3rd, win top flight and then back to back European Cup wins defeating arguably one of the best ever teams and current holders (Liverpool) in the first round.

On a different note. Couple of the betting sites have no teams over 1000/1 for next season's title.

Not quite as good as The Rangers 54 top league titles in 4 years though is it...

Wow, this thread has become a bit of a joy vacuum.

Their fans are just normal football folk like me who never believed in a million years that they'd do something like this. Nobody else believed they ever would either. I can relate to that. Real fans, there for the good and the bad, not much in the way of plastic armchair support (except in Bangkok, noted [emoji6]) and they just went and won one of the biggest leagues in the world. I have no interest in Leicester particularly but I still get a little kick from what they've achieved. It's hard not to put yourself in their shoes and imagine how it must be the most euphoric feeling you might ever get from the beautiful game.

If you don't get the feels, you don't get them, and that's your call, but I'm really enjoying watching this from afar.

Plus Ranieri strikes me as a right decent sort.

So is it now the case that we can't be expected to challenge Celtic, because they are a far better team, with better players and a much bigger budget, but when Leicester have done similar, it is nothing special, and the fans are plastic?

Hope all the glory hunters from Leicester who grew up supporting Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea etc feel like total dog-shite.

THIS is why we support our teams, sucess means so mich more.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Wow, this thread has become a bit of a joy vacuum.

Their fans are just normal football folk like me who never believed in a million years that they'd do something like this. Nobody else believed they ever would either. I can relate to that. Real fans, there for the good and the bad, not much in the way of plastic armchair support (except in Bangkok, noted [emoji6]) and they just went and won one of the biggest leagues in the world. I have no interest in Leicester particularly but I still get a little kick from what they've achieved. It's hard not to put yourself in their shoes and imagine how it must be the most euphoric feeling you might ever get from the beautiful game.

If you don't get the feels, you don't get them, and that's your call, but I'm really enjoying watching this from afar.

Plus Ranieri strikes me as a right decent sort.

Amen

John Findlay

Would agree with that. Great achievement but probably not the best.

Also Forest under Clough, promoted to top flight after finishing 3rd, win top flight and then back to back European Cup wins defeating arguably one of the best ever teams and current holders (Liverpool) in the first round.

On a different note. Couple of the betting sites have no teams over 1000/1 for next season's title.

Totally agree Dougal.

Let's take Chelsea. Had only ever won the top league in England once (1955) had been nowhere near doing so again, abeit FA Cup 1970 and cup winners cup a year later. Until Roman Abromovich rolled up with his fortune to bankroll them and all of a sudden Chelsea are regarded as a big team again. When for years they were well behind Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and even QPR in London alone. Like I said previously there are many who think football only started in 1992. When a certain Australian's Communications company started pouring millions to televise it on television.

Riddley Walker

Nah,they are allowed 5 now. However, if Man City won the CL and Liverpool won the Europa League, and Man City finished outside the top 4, then 4th place would drop out as 5 is the maximum.

Yeah I think that's right. I'm not sure how accurate this is but if Liverpool win the Europa and Man City win the champions league, only the top 2 in the league get a CL spot meaning Arsenal (likely to finish third) will miss out. That could be wrong though.

[/quite]

If Liverpool win the europa they have 5 teams in the champions league.

If Liverpool and City both win they have 5 teams in the champions league.The fourth placed team lose out.

Leicester are seeded in the No1pot for next seasons champions league.

So they cannot draw the champions of the top countries.

Hearts_fan

Absolutely delighted for the Leicester fans and the people of Leicester. The joy that must come with experiencing something like this is what it's all about. Football is to be enjoyed by all. By different teams winning, it means that joy is spread further, to more people. That is why I personally am enjoying seeing and reading about Leicester's triumph. It's an uplifting story.

Riddley Walker

[/quite]

If Liverpool win the europa they have 5 teams in the champions league.

If Liverpool and City both win they have 5 teams in the champions league.The fourth placed team lose out.

Leicester are seeded in the No1pot for next seasons champions league.

So they cannot draw the champions of the top countries.

How are they in pot 1 when they have no European history? Man City were in pot 4 for a few seasons. Have they changed the seeding system?

How are they in pot 1 when they have no European history? Man City were in pot 4 for a few seasons. Have they changed the seeding system?

It was changed last season as all the winners of the top leagues go into pot 1.

The winners of the champions league also go into pot 1 if they are not champions.

As Barca won it last season Eindhovan got the last spot as the Dutch league was next on the list.

Riddley Walker

It was changed last season as all the winners of the top leagues go into pot 1.

The winners of the champions league also go into pot 1 if they are not champions.

As Barca won it last season Eindhovan got the last spot as the Dutch league was next on the list.

Cheers.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Football finance experts saying what we could have told them for decades, that this will allow the EPL increased leverage in selling the product. And we have people running our game who believe the entire sport in Scotland will crumble if we're faced with anything other than the same two teams winning the title. You could weep.

Ian Beale

Horrible club , Horrible place , Horribe supporters .

Well done Fester .

bertracoon

The same way that Spain had 5 this season? Barca, Real, Atletico, Valencia and Sevilla for winning the Europa last season. It baffles me that people who claim to be as interested in football as you do don't know these things.

Archived