Title challenge

Darren

Clerry Jambo

It's going to be very difficult to put a sustained challenge up to Celtic, but we should be looking to establish ourselves as a top 3 side.

This itself we have never done over a sustained period, yes down the years we have got 3rd a few times, even split the arse cheeks one year but we have been very inconsistent over the years.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watt-Zeefuik

All those saying Celtic will spend big should remember that is not a cheap side they're putting out there now.  It's that Deila is simply not signing very good players.

I think they'll lose Rogic in the summer, Brown is on the downhill of his career, Biton could go too.  Griffiths will stay, of course, and he's a difference-maker, and they've gotten some good young talent in.

At the same time, though, we're bringing in guys like Sutton and Djoum and Kitchen who wouldn't be embarrassed at all in that Celtic side.  A few more of that level (particularly, as everyone points out, our unending need for a great striker) and we've got a title tilt on.

Harvey Specter

All those saying Celtic will spend big should remember that is not a cheap side they're putting out there now.  It's that Deila is simply not signing very good players.

I think they'll lose Rogic in the summer, Brown is on the downhill of his career, Biton could go too.  Griffiths will stay, of course, and he's a difference-maker, and they've gotten some good young talent in.

At the same time, though, we're bringing in guys like Sutton and Djoum and Kitchen who wouldn't be embarrassed at all in that Celtic side.  A few more of that level (particularly, as everyone points out, our unending need for a great striker) and we've got a title tilt on.

:nojustno:

You've been beating this drum for ages now. Hope its true.

Scott Allan started Celtic's draw with Hamilton on 26 Feb after being around squad, some sub appearances.

Since that bad result and performance he was an unused sub next game v Dundee on 2 Mar. Since then he has not been in squad, not even the Morton cup game. That's 4 games and counting.

Neither has Ryan Christie both behind Patrick Roberts.

Nookie Bear

Scott Allan started Celtic's draw with Hamilton on 26 Feb after being around squad, some sub appearances.

Since that bad result and performance he was an unused sub next game v Dundee on 2 Mar. Since then he has not been in squad, not even the Morton cup game. That's 4 games and counting.

I don't understand what celtic are playing at. They should win the league and yet they drop young talent they have signed in favour of a guy on loan from Man City.

Why loan in Carlton Cole as well?

I think they have made a hash of the 4 years with rangers. They could have developed a team of young lads with 100 games under their belts, but as usual they want to make 'statement' signings to please their fans.

Anyway, back to the topic...

Celtic can't buy the same quality anymore with the finances they have, players like Larrson even looking at players they've had in the past few years they'll not be able to attract anymore players like Van Dijk/hooper etc.

A league challenge doesn't mean just having the best players it's consistency as well, yes Leicester have Marhez/Vardy but they've also got an amazingly consistent defence of Morgan and Huth, look at their last 3 games all being 1-0 wins as an example.

If we can consistently beat the shite and get the better of Aberdeen as well that just means turning up for 2 out of the 4 Celtic games and we'll have a decent challenge.

Stephen Muddie

lets call it an undisclosed fee? :lol:

Ok man. I call it a bloody bargain

there is a good reason ryan christie has not been playing for celtic - he is on loan at inverness

Watt-Zeefuik

Souttar, I presume.

I sodding well hope so, anyway!

Oh dear, yes.  Souttar!  Souttar!  :turmoil:

My excuse is that I was fighting off the headache from watching UNC losing the national title game at the buzzer last night. :(

Unknown user

Oh dear, yes. Souttar! Souttar! :turmoil:

My excuse is that I was fighting off the headache from watching UNC losing the national title game at the buzzer last night. :(

I swear, sometimes it's actually a bit like english!

LarrysRightFoot

It would be easier to mount a challenge in a playing each other in a twice a season format instead of a 4 times a season format.

Aberdeen may well have won it this season. I know they can still win but they are 5 behind and still have to go Parkhead and play us twice.

there is a good reason ryan christie has not been playing for celtic - he is on loan at inverness

No he's not.

IveSeenTheLight

Aberdeen may well have won it this season. I know they can still win but they are 5 behind and still have to go Parkhead and play us twice.

Extremely long shot but if we win at Celtic Park, we only need them to lose one or draw two in their remaining 5 games.

Their game on Saturday is crucial for Motherwell, who need a point to secure top 6 and Motherwell has beaten them before this season.

I hear they have defensive issues with svaichenko pulling his hamstring, so maybe a recall for Ambrose ;)

Fancy taking two points off them when they come to Tynecastle ;).

That said, you could do us a favour and then we still drop points elsewhere.

Different Class

:facepalm:

Extremely long shot but if we win at Celtic Park, we only need them to lose one or draw two in their remaining 5 games.

Their game on Saturday is crucial for Motherwell, who need a point to secure top 6 and Motherwell has beaten them before this season.

I hear they have defensive issues with svaichenko pulling his hamstring, so maybe a recall for Ambrose ;)

If Roberts doesn't play at Tynie or we at least find a way of coping with him (should be easier on a smaller pitch) then I fancy us to at least draw. He was the difference on Saturday. I would really like Aberdeen to win it now, if only to give us the real belief to do the same in the next few years. It would also prove to outsiders that Scottish football isn't all about Celtic/ the Old Firm.

Buffalo Bill

I think it's important to not only buy really well this summer, but to also turn over the squad as much as possible.

For me, we've got far too many average players on our books. To mount a challenge, we need at least half a dozen good purchases this summer.

Smith, Paterson, Ozturk, Augustyn, Souttar, Rossi, Djoum, Kitchen, Walker, King, Nicholson, Zanatta I'd keep. The rest I'm not that fussed about.

I think it's important to not only buy really well this summer, but to also turn over the squad as much as possible.

For me, we've got far too many average players on our books. To mount a challenge, we need at least half a dozen good purchases this summer.

Smith, Paterson, Ozturk, Augustyn, Souttar, Rossi, Djoum, Kitchen, Walker, King, Nicholson, Zanatta I'd keep. The rest I'm not that fussed about.

I'd keep Buaben and Alexander.  Not sure about Zanatta or King.

Harvey Specter

I'd keep Buaben and Alexander.  Not sure about Zanatta or King.

Zanatta is 18  :rofl:

He's been a stand out for the development squad and has held his own when given opportunities in the first team. A player with a bright future.

Nookie Bear

Nah, sorry.

grumpyespana

We are not far away from mounting a title challenged but GOALS wins titles take the thumb out that celtic team and the dons would win the league this season.

Grumpy.

Zanatta is 18  :rofl:

He's been a stand out for the development squad and has held his own when given opportunities in the first team. A player with a bright future.

Is it funny that he's 18, or funny that I'm not sure about him?

I don't think he's rubbish, I'm just not sure if he's the calibre of player yet that we'd need to genuinely challenge for the title.

Re Zanatta. If we can improve the caliber of players in the squad, then at 18 y/o he will improve more by playing with them. European games will also bring him on.

The Future's Maroon

Just seen (as part of the The New Rangers love in on Sky Sports) that we are fourth favourites for the title next season....66/1 - I'm having a bit of that, even just odds without Celtic will be tasty! 

Celtic 1/8

The Rangers 8/1

Aberdeen 12/1

Hearts 66/1

Source: Ladbrokes.

Just seen (as part of the The New Rangers love in on Sky Sports) that we are fourth favourites for the title next season....66/1 - I'm having a bit of that, even just odds without Celtic will be tasty! 

Celtic 1/8

The Rangers 8/1

Aberdeen 12/1

Hearts 66/1

Source: Ladbrokes.

Be having some of that meself. We're not far away IMO. As others have said a striker, left back, perhaps a creative mid. Our challenges have generally faltered because we failed to strengthen when we were challenging and fell away. Celtic will be concentrating on Rangers, Aberdeen will take points from both of them. Next season could be very interesting.

Unknown user

Zanatta is 18 :rofl:

There have been games at both first team and recently at development level where he's been completely anonymous. I'm not saying he's pish but I definitely don't think he's proven anything yet, even at 18.

I'll be delighted if he turns out to be great for us, but I'm just not seeing it yet

Fort Vallance

It's going to be very difficult to put a sustained challenge up to Celtic, but we should be looking to establish ourselves as a top 3 side.

This itself we have never done over a sustained period, yes down the years we have got 3rd a few times, even split the arse cheeks one year but we have been very inconsistent over the years.

It's a case of knocking on the door a few times before you get in. Prior to 1998 we had a few semi finals and cup final appearances before we won one. You're right consistency over a number of seasons is the key. Be in a position every season to be the ones to take advantage of slip ups.

michael_bolton

I remember back at the start of this season (when we were winning) some posters on here got all upset when confronted with the reality that there was no way we'd win the league.

Seems we'll need to have that chat again next season too.

Unknown user

I remember back at the start of this season (when we were winning) some posters on here got all upset when confronted with the reality that there was no way we'd win the league.

Fair enough, you play the odds bud. After all, you're likely to be proven right.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to think we've got a decent chance if we get enough things right :thumbsup:

You do that. I will be looking at our chances of winning it again next season. :thumbsup:

Your second paragraph makes you sound like a snivelling Hibs arsehole by the way. Sorry if that offends, but it does.

luckyBatistuta

post-25326-0-31757700-1459951297_thumb.jpeg

This guy dared to dream at the start of the season?how dare he.

michael_bolton

You do that. I will be looking at our chances of winning it again next season. :thumbsup:

Your second paragraph makes you sound like a snivelling Hibs arsehole by the way. Sorry if that offends, but it does.

You seems awfully angry.

I just deal in reality. We won't win the league.

Some people seem to make a virtue out of unrealistic expectations.

Claiming that we could win the Europa League next year (technically, we could) would not make me more of a PHM. It would make me unrealistic. Pointing this out would not make me a Hobo. It would make me realistic.

We won't win the league next season. Europe again would be champion, hopefully a cup. Our wee cup record is a disgrace and I'd like that seen to.

image.jpeg

This guy dared to dream at the start of the season?how dare he.

Seems someone needed to have "that chat" with him at the start of this season, but didn't.

:sob:

michael_bolton

Aye, this guy I know won millions in the lottery, so it's reasonable to expect it to happen to me too...

People on this thread are talking as if we have a realistic shot at winning the league. We don't.

Of course, it's possible.

Lots of things are possible. But the way it's being talked about on this thread is silly.

Europe and the cups. That's where we are.

You seems awfully angry.

I just deal in reality. We won't win the league.

Some people seem to make a virtue out of unrealistic expectations.

Claiming that we could win the Europa League next year (technically, we could) would not make me more of a PHM. It would make me unrealistic. Pointing this out would not make me a Hobo. It would make me realistic.

We won't win the league next season. Europe again would be champion, hopefully a cup. Our wee cup record is a disgrace and I'd like that seen to.

I'm not angry. My insulting reaction to your attitude was 'pity' not "anger". It is an easy mistake to make when dealing with insults directed at ones self through written word though.

To clarify:

I pity anyone who is so cynical and wretched that they have given up hope of their team ever challenging for the top prize.

I feel no anger towards cowed underling types who have no bottle or fight in them anymore.

I absolutely see us winning the league in my lifetime.

:pleasing:

michael_bolton

I'm not angry. My insulting reaction to your attitude was 'pity' not "anger". It is an easy mistake to make when dealing with insults directed at ones self through written word though.

To clarify:

I pity anyone who is so cynical and wretched that they have given up hope of their team ever challenging for the top prize.

I feel no anger towards cowed underling types who have no bottle or fight in them anymore.

To clarify:

To clarify:

And I dearly hope you're right. I don't think you are though.

Getting your hopes up for something that won't happen isn't a virtue in my book though.

Unknown user

Aye, this guy I know won millions in the lottery, so it's reasonable to expect it to happen to me too...

People on this thread are talking as if we have a realistic shot at winning the league. We don't.

Of course, it's possible.

Lots of things are possible. But the way it's being talked about on this thread is silly.

Europe and the cups. That's where we are.

We do have a realistic chance of winning it next season.

We're one of the 3 biggest clubs in the country - Aberdeen still have a realistic chance of winning this year ffs.

michael_bolton

We do have a realistic chance of winning it next season.

We're one of the 3 biggest clubs in the country - Aberdeen still have a realistic chance of winning this year ffs.

Celtic have been horrendous this year and Aberdeen have been their best for donkey's. Yet they're still 2 games' worth of points behind with 6 to play.

They're long shot outsiders. We're even further off. Celtic beat us at the weekend when we played well and they were mince.

There won't be a better chance than this. Celtic will spend with the sticky buns coming back. Rangers will be relatively strong and will take points from both us and Aberdeen, making a challenge even harder.

We're less likely to win it next year than we were this. And we were never realistic contenders this year.

And I dearly hope you're right. I don't think you are though.

Getting your hopes up for something that won't happen isn't a virtue in my book though.

I don't want to be seen as virtuous. I want to win the league.

Your book is a boring, heavy and dull piece of old crap that nobody bothers borrowing from the library of abject misery anymore.

:thumbsup:

michael_bolton

I don't want to be seen as virtuous. I want to win the league.

Your book is a boring, heavy and dull piece of old crap that nobody bothers borrowing from the library of abject misery anymore.

:thumbsup:

No misery here. We're in a fine position these days.

No misery here. We're in a fine position these days.

By your attitude we are in a fine position to fight it out with Aberdeen for third place. No thanks. I have loftier ambitions. :thumbsup:

Unknown user

Celtic have been horrendous this year and Aberdeen have been their best for donkey's. Yet they're still 2 games' worth of points behind with 6 to play.

They're long shot outsiders. We're even further off. Celtic beat us at the weekend when we played well and they were mince.

There won't be a better chance than this. Celtic will spend with the sticky buns coming back. Rangers will be relatively strong and will take points from both us and Aberdeen, making a challenge even harder.

We're less likely to win it next year than we were this. And we were never realistic contenders this year.

There were some of you giving it "the chat" when some of us dared to think we could finish above rangers last season too.

Your whole argument is based on your ability to tell the future, so you'll pardon me if I ignore your negativity

michael_bolton

There were some of you giving it "the chat" when some of us dared to think we could finish above rangers last season too.

Your whole argument is based on your ability to tell the future, so you'll pardon me if I ignore your negativity

It's hardly Mystic Meg stuff. It's a cold analysis of the situation. Based on resources and experience.

Last season is different. We were in a league where it was reasonable to expect us to gub the majority of our opponents week in week out. The fact that our two biggest rivals flopped was very pleasant. Inb the top flight we have shown no such ability to win on anything like a regular enough basis. Even allowing for Celtic being mince this year.

Look into our league from the position of an outsider.

We've hee haw chance of winning it.

Unknown user

It's hardly Mystic Meg stuff. It's a cold analysis of the situation. Based on resources and experience.

Last season is different. We were in a league where it was reasonable to expect us to gub the majority of our opponents week in week out. The fact that our two biggest rivals flopped was very pleasant. Inb the top flight we have shown no such ability to win on anything like a regular enough basis. Even allowing for Celtic being mince this year.

No, Hibs have hee haw chance of winning it - we're a good outside bet (66/1 I think I saw- incredible value!)

:spoton:

Utter bollox! :rofl:

Archived