Court of Session

rabprentice

rabprentice

Anyone know what this means from today's Court of Session list?

"LORD GLENNIE

PETITION DEPARTMENT

UNSTARRED MOTIONS

Pet Heart of Midlothian plc to wind up

Archibald Campbell & Harley"

Gerd Muller

do businesses not get find for not paying their bills on time?

customers do!!.

I find it really hard to take it that a football club with alot of history can't even pay a bill on time. The way the club is run is laughable.

Guest S.U.S.S.

"LORD GLENNIE

PETITION DEPARTMENT

UNSTARRED MOTIONS

Is that perhaps the old co name?

rabprentice
Is that perhaps the old co name?

Who knows? Was hoping one of our resident lawyers might be able to cast some light. I seem to remember previous threads about something similar so might be old news.

lost in leith
Aye we're not a PLC anymore

Yes we are. We were as at the date of the AGM (25 March), and as far as I know the shareholders have to vote for the company's status to change.

Telford Jambo

Word on the street is people are getting frustrated waiting for their bills to be settled and are raising court actions against Hearts far quicker than you would expect, I've no doubt it'll be paid, once the man who can sign the cheques is available, but even then, this will cost the club over a grand in legal costs. Indeed the Petitioners have raised the action against the wrong party as well!

Yes we are. We were as at the date of the AGM (25 March), and as far as I know the shareholders have to vote for the company's status to change.

Do you have some sort of alert system to let you know everytime the acronym "plc" appears on a Kickback thread?? :rolleyes:

CornhillHearts

It may be the gnome producers whom are fgiving us no more gnomes as owe them 3 grand-honest.

lost in leith
Do you have some sort of alert system to let you know everytime the acronym "plc" appears on a Kickback thread?? :rolleyes:

The riveting topic of company law is what gets me out of bed in the morning :)

Terrible Trio
The riveting topic of company law is what gets me out of bed in the morning :)

you love it

knoxyjambo

"LORD GLENNIE

PETITION DEPARTMENT

UNSTARRED MOTIONS

A winding up petition is what a company will lodge with the court to enforce the payments of debt that is owed, it can be used as a scare tactic and is the official channel to getting money back, these things can often settle out of court, so there isnt a problem as long as the money is there to pay.

The same kind of winding up petition was lodged against Gretna, obviously they didnt have the funds to pay their debts, that's when a provisional liquidator would have been appointed.

Shareholders votes dont really matter since Vlad has the majority of shares anaway.

Shareholders votes dont really matter since Vlad has the majority of shares anaway.

His votes matter...

His votes matter...

Thats sort of what i was getting at ,he has full control.

Maroon Mayhem

Basically an unstarred motion is bringing a potential case to the court, more commonly known as a shot across the bows.

There is no need for the pursuing party to be named at this time but is seen as a way to make a business pay attention to their debts.

rabprentice
A winding up petition is what a company will lodge with the court to enforce the payments of debt that is owed, it can be used as a scare tactic and is the official channel to getting money back, these things can often settle out of court, so there isnt a problem as long as the money is there to pay.

The same kind of winding up petition was lodged against Gretna, obviously they didnt have the funds to pay their debts, that's when a provisional liquidator would have been appointed.

Cheers

Spellczech

Yeah but that is not what this is about. It is about winding up the PLC now that we are delisted from the LSE. Cannot remember what the company Vlad set up to buy Hearts was but it was a Limited, not a PLC.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It wouldn't be the first of its type.

No doubt we are expecting another parcel of cash from Lithuania to pay bills since the cash flow from the reduced ST sales is biting.

Rawrrrrrrr

I love how the usual suspects try to make out this is normal for business

In the 6 months I have been with my employer we have not once been threatened with court action

Accounting systems and the fact companies send reminders, make calls etc, make it very hard to simply overlook bills, furthermore it takes many months before a company would take us to court

Tbh its utterly shocking that we let this happen time and time again, it just makes it harder for people to do their jobs within the club as well as making us look bad

portobellojambo1
Yeah but that is not what this is about. It is about winding up the PLC now that we are delisted from the LSE. Cannot remember what the company Vlad set up to buy Hearts was but it was a Limited, not a PLC.

If it is what you are suggesting would the case not be brought by Hearts own solicitors Spellczech, rather than the solicitors company name being mentioned (cannot remember the name of Hearts solicitors but it is not A C & H as far as I am aware (unless they have changed recently)).

ToadKiller Dog

Prancer is correct it is embarrising for a club like hearts to get itself in such a position .but we dont know the details of the case ,i doubt it is serious or it would have been front page in the EEN might be the morn.

but it is a common practice from many business men usually smaller time than hearts ,i know a private hire firm up here in dundee thats done it various times ,same with a security firm.

Libertonian_II

I'm 51.

Hearts and debt collectors go hand in hand.

Same old, same old

Nothing new

knoxyjambo

Wrong, but what would I know, I only work at the Court.

Can PLC mean Public Limited Company and Private Limited Company?

One on the stock market, the other not?

Tasavallan

'PLC' and 'plc' have different meanings. Although in the UK we tend to use 'Ltd' rather than 'plc'.

PLC always means public limited company and Ltd is a private limited company.

I'm not sure about the exact differences, but a plc doesn't have to be on the stock exchange.

Hearts are a plc.

Jam Tarts 1874

This one will turn out to be the same as the stationery suppliers case from a little earlier in the year. Hearts sent them a cheque, but they didn't cash it. Their reasons for doing so remain their own!

Whoever this company is filing the petition I would bet they are run by some hobo just trying to stir things by claiming they have not received their cheque. I just put this is the tedious category.

Just for info, the most recent accounts show that Hearts average time for paying bills is 82 days, which I think you will find is pretty much in line with other similar sized operations. Also, the accounts showed that Hearts are owed ?1.59m by trade creditors and owe ?1.24m to trade debtors.

It seems that there are people out there following their own agenda with regard to chasing Hearts for payment.

It seems that there are people out there following their own agenda

Sounds like some of the posters on here.

This one will turn out to be the same as the stationery suppliers case from a little earlier in the year. Hearts sent them a cheque, but they didn't cash it. Their reasons for doing so remain their own!

Whoever this company is filing the petition I would bet they are run by some hobo just trying to stir things by claiming they have not received their cheque. I just put this is the tedious category.

Just for info, the most recent accounts show that Hearts average time for paying bills is 82 days, which I think you will find is pretty much in line with other similar sized operations. Also, the accounts showed that Hearts are owed ?1.59m by trade creditors and owe ?1.24m to trade debtors.

It seems that there are people out there following their own agenda with regard to chasing Hearts for payment.

That's the wrong way round - debtors owe money to Hearts, and creditors are owed money by Hearts.

I don't buy the hobo-run company thing either. Winding up petitions cost money and time to prepare - I can't see any business doing that just because they support a rival football club. Even if that was the case, it should never get as far as the Court of Session.

In the 6 months I have been with my employer we have not once been threatened with court action

Accounting systems and the fact companies send reminders, make calls etc, make it very hard to simply overlook bills, furthermore it takes many months before a company would take us to court

Tbh its utterly shocking that we let this happen time and time again, it just makes it harder for people to do their jobs within the club as well as making us look bad

6 months isn't really a long time and to be honest, if your employer had been threatened with legal action it's quite likely that they're not going to share that information with you or the rest of their employees Prancer.

Not that it really matters in terms of this thread but if you're determined to insist that it isn't a common occurrence then I have to disagree. The last four companies I have worked for have all been threatened with legal action and most of it was a load of nonsense. The company I currently work for is threatening 7 different companies with legal action of its own. It all depends what the story is behind the scenes.

That's not to say that this isn't a big deal - we don't even really know what it's all about. But legal action isn't necessarily an indication of anything we need to get our knickers in a twist about.

Dr. Bapswent

I love how the usual suspect tries to make another sensationalist post out of something to blow things out of proportion.

6 months isn't really a long time and to be honest, if your employer had been threatened with legal action it's quite likely that they're not going to share that information with you or the rest of their employees Prancer.

Not that it really matters in terms of this thread but if you're determined to insist that it isn't a common occurrence then I have to disagree. The last four companies I have worked for have all been threatened with legal action and most of it was a load of nonsense. The company I currently work for is threatening 7 different companies with legal action of its own. It all depends what the story is behind the scenes.

That's not to say that this isn't a big deal - we don't even really know what it's all about. But legal action isn't necessarily an indication of anything we need to get our knickers in a twist about.

It depends how you define legal action. A winding up petition is several steps down the road from a solicitor's letter.

John Gentleman

What took my eye was the "Paul Callaghan v Greggs plc" petition.

I wonder what happened? Did Mr Callaghan find an unfounded rumour in his sausage roll????.....

knoxyjambo

If Hearts aint paying up, this kind of petition is a sure fire way for companies to get that debt settled, slightly concerning but as I said before, as long as the money is there to pay these debts, no more will come of it, this isnt the first time this has happened and probably wont be the last given our current track record in paying bills etc. Any solicitors who go to the expense/take time to raise one of these actions will probably ask Hearts for the expenses of doing so.

The court has the authority to put the company into provisional liquidation if we didnt pay, therefore it's pretty much a cert we will pay, with us these things are likely to be dealt with and wont even reach the court room and will settle outwith the court.

It depends how you define legal action. A winding up petition is several steps down the road from a solicitor's letter.

Of course, but it's not an uncommon thing.

My point is simply that it isn't necessarily worth getting our knickers in a twist about it until we know what it's actually for. Assuming we ever find out, of course....

Of course, but it's not an uncommon thing.

My point is simply that it isn't necessarily worth getting our knickers in a twist about it until we know what it's actually for. Assuming we ever find out, of course....

Generally I agree - the club is not going to be wound up, so no real worries on that score. It is embarrassing and slightly worrying that it got as far as it has. And I imagine it will have cost the club a fair bit of money.

Generally I agree - the club is not going to be wound up, so no real worries on that score. It is embarrassing and slightly worrying that it got as far as it has. And I imagine it will have cost the club a fair bit of money.

I don't find it embarrassing at all. Maybe I'm just desensitised to these things but I just don't think it's worth worrying about. I get the feeling that there are just miserable Jambos in our midst who like this stuff a bit too much - any excuse to get all angsty. I don't mean you btw. Just a general observation. :)

Colonel Kurtz

Several of Hearts creditors who took court action recently in pursuance of long overdue debts were in fact Hearts supporters,who took the action reluctantly

Guest JamboRobbo
I get the feeling that there are just miserable Jambos in our midst who like this stuff a bit too much - any excuse to get all angsty. I don't mean you btw. Just a general observation. :)

And I get the feeling Vlad could move us to Murrayfield AND shut the club down and there would still be people who would say it's not worth worrying about, and it'll work out for the best in the end etc etc. I don't mean you btw. Just a general observation. :)

Hearts are using new printers for their mail-outs this year. The reason being they didn't pay the printers they used last year. Don't know if that's the "stationary" company reffered to but the actual printers received no cheque from Hearts

And I get the feeling Vlad could move us to Murrayfield AND shut the club down and there would still be people who would say it's not worth worrying about, and it'll work out for the best in the end etc etc. I don't mean you btw. Just a general observation. :)

Don't be catty...Some of us are just channelling our energies efficiently. I don't want high blood pressure before the age of 30. :P

And for what it's worth, I don't think people would be remotely okay about Vlad doing any of the things you mentioned. I genuinely believe there are more instances of people exacerbating and exaggerating the problems unnecessarily than there are of people excusing things that they should be getting up in arms about. Also just an observation, of course. But maybe it's just this place...it does funny things to your brain...

Archived