Bring out your riot gear

Morgan

HEARTS are here... :)

Found this book whilst having a tidy out at home and have started to read it again - must be 7 or 8 years since I first read it.

What do people who have read it think of it?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maroonlegions
HEARTS are here... :)

Found this book whilst having a tidy out at home and have started to read it again - must be 7 or 8 years since I first read it.

can still remember the games i used to go to in that era, fecking mental the hearts fans were , afraid of no one and not many other clubs fans enjoyed a visit to gorgie when playing us at tynie, what were the 2 songs they used to sing ,"come and have a go with the gorgie agarro" and "your gonna get your fecking heads kick in", never got involved in any of it though.:cool:

marshallschunkychicken

Good read. I'm a bit young to have been around during the events of the book, but interesting nonetheless.

Feel a bit guilty though as someone left it behind the bar in my local for me to read, it went round the bar before I eventually got it, and I still have it to this day.

That was about three years ago.

Good read. I'm a bit young to have been around during the events of the book, but interesting nonetheless.

Feel a bit guilty though as someone left it behind the bar in my local for me to read, it went round the bar before I eventually got it, and I still have it to this day.

That was about three years ago.

That was me you barsteward!

You're gonna get yer feckin' head kicked in...;)

Say What Again

Took it on holiday about 4 years ago and stopped after reading 2/3 of it. It must rank as one of the most repetitive, boring books I've ever attempted to read. Maybe I should have expected that though.

BOYRG in 5 seconds:

Went up to Dundee, it was mental. Their boys were waiting for us just outside the station, we chased them up the High Street. We tried to get into the away end before kick off but the plod were waiting for us.

Went to the Mod disco at night and pulled some wee bird. Top day - and we've got Morton away in the Cup midweek!

Wednesday night arrived and we went through to Morton. It was mental. Their boys were waiting for us on the High Street and we chased them down to the station. A few of our boys got into the away end but plod threw them out.

Got the mod disco to look forward to at the weekend. Might give that wee bird a phone.

Repeat to end...

:sleepy:

Seymour M Hersh
Took it on holiday about 4 years ago and stopped after reading 2/3 of it. It must rank as one of the most repetitive, boring books I've ever attempted to read. Maybe I should have expected that though.

BOYRG in 5 seconds:

Went up to Dundee, it was mental. Their boys were waiting for us just outside the station, we chased them up the High Street. We tried to get into the away end before kick off but the plod were waiting for us.

Went to the Mod disco at night and pulled some wee bird. Top day - and we've got Morton away in the Cup midweek!

Wednesday night arrived and we went through to Morton. It was mental. Their boys were waiting for us on the High Street and we chased them down to the station. A few of our boys got into the away end but plod threw them out.

Got the mod disco to look forward to at the weekend. Might give that wee bird a phone.

Repeat to end...

So you don't see it being shortlisted for the Booker Prize then?;)

I've never read but did read part of that sheep casuals book and I suspect they are all the same. Never take a doing, never run etc etc etc.

Terrible Trio

Quality read, one of the many books I'll be taking on holiday to read by the pool

The People's Chimp
Quality read, one of the many books I'll be taking on holiday to read by the pool

I can just picture you at the airport pulling this little portable bookshelf on wheels along behind you.

Better than the recent Hibs effort, which was probably written in crayon. Although both of them are pish.

I can just picture you at the airport pulling this little portable bookshelf on wheels along behind you.

haha

Bookcse2lrg_t.jpg

chester copperpot

Its miles better than the latest effort from Hearts fans. What is it again, Two miles from Tynecastle. :peepwall:

Only Kidding Bill

Terrible Trio

"many" = 4

my wife already has the shoe stand ready to pull :mad:

chester copperpot
"many" = 4

:laugh:

That was me you barsteward!

You're gonna get yer feckin' head kicked in...;)

You bought 2 of those books? Rich barsteward:)

You must have been one of the first casuals possibly even before they were invented

Dusk_Till_Dawn

BOYRG in 5 seconds:

Repeat to end...

The one hooligan book I did enjoy was Guvnors by Mickey Francis. Gave a wee bit of insight into what it was like for him living in Moss Side as a boy etc, but a lot of them tend to boil down to the same thing (obviously). As soon as I read a sentence saying something: "There were six of us and 10 million Rangers but we were pure radge so we just rushed them anyway and they all scattered" I usually pass it on to the Scouts' jumble sale.

eddie fenwick
The one hooligan book I did enjoy was Guvnors by Mickey Francis. Gave a wee bit of insight into what it was like for him living in Moss Side as a boy etc, but a lot of them tend to boil down to the same thing (obviously). As soon as I read a sentence saying something: "There were six of us and 10 million Rangers but we were pure radge so we just rushed them anyway and they all scattered" I usually pass it on to the Scouts' jumble sale.

must admit i found boyrg and bloody casuals a bit amatuarish(havent read dykes book)even tho cs ferguson was a good mate,have always enjoyed the english lads books more

Rudolf's Mate

Can someone tell me what these books are actually called and what era they are from??? I can't remember any of these books! Knew of a Dykes but he was from the dark side or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Can someone tell me what these books are actually called and what era they are from??? I can't remember any of these books! Knew of a Dykes but he was from the dark side or am I barking up the wrong tree?

No you're right, its THAT Dykes (Derek).

He's 'wrote' one about the Hobos.

Hilary Briss

I only read the Hearts bit in Dykes's book and if the rest of it is as factual as that chapter its a load of old bollocks.

Did Hearts casuals ever fight.I can remember them getting abuse when walking round the shed but i cannot think of 1 fight i have saw them in.

vegas-voss

BOYRG in 5 seconds:

Repeat to end...

I kind of agree with you.The foreward is probably the best bit about book about the game in Munich.The rest seems as if it was written by someone who actually was never involved in anthing that he had written about.It was all just a bit vague.I kind of thought he was more the chip shop casual from small towns and villages that he wrote about in the book and heard stories from Hearts boys and put it down as if it were himself.

I know that guy Jay Allan (the ex-Aberdeen casual).

He runs the pub in the next village along from mine, and is a pretty good bloke.

As he said in that video, he is now completely different and helps with all sorts of community things and with the village cricket team.

winston churchill
I know that guy Jay Allan (the ex-Aberdeen casual).

He runs the pub in the next village along from mine, and is a pretty good bloke.

As he said in that video, he is now completely different and helps with all sorts of community things and with the village cricket team.

his old man is also a reporter for the aberdeen beano, or what ever it's called:wacko:

eddie fenwick
his old man is also a reporter for the aberdeen beano, or what ever it's called:wacko:

jay allen is a gentleman,i was in magaluf with him in 87 and the guy was brand new

Remember to keep your passport safe this time. :rolleyes:

Better than the recent Hibs effort, which was probably written in crayon.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Incidentally there are few finer ways to wind up a cod head than to point out that the ASC cacked themselves from a single Hibs yoof with "flames". :) :) :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Incidentally there are few finer ways to wind up a cod head than to point out that the ASC cacked themselves from a single Hibs yoof with "flames". :) :) :)

Very true;)

BOYRG in 5 seconds:

Repeat to end...

I agree it was a bit of a yawn.

Terrible Trio

CS Ferguson's other book is also a classic read (front cover leaves a lot to be desired though)

"germany away - this time it's war"

ps - that's not the book name

Terrible Trio
Remember to keep your passport safe this time. :rolleyes:

Bernadette will have the honour of looking after them

Brixton Hearts
I kind of agree with you.The foreward is probably the best bit about book about the game in Munich.The rest seems as if it was written by someone who actually was never involved in anthing that he had written about.It was all just a bit vague.I kind of thought he was more the chip shop casual from small towns and villages that he wrote about in the book and heard stories from Hearts boys and put it down as if it were himself.

Sorry to disappoint you mate but he was there week in, week out with Hearts' firm right from the start. Also he was pretty active with the Headhunters at Chelsea for a few years when he moved down to London in 89Fetish clubbing at the Torture Garden seems to be his thing now ;)

Rudolf's Mate

That would have been an interesting read right enough! Doe's it mention anything about him pulling stanleys out on younger boys!

Terrible Trio
Fetish clubbing at the Torture Garden seems to be his thing now ;)

what a pervo :mad:;)

Brixton Hearts
what a pervo :mad:;)

lol i blame ecstasy.....and of course the fact that he has a warped mind

:P

Robertson9
"many" = 4

Im looking for a book that i cant find in shops you might be able to point me in the direction of mate.

Can you send me your e mail and ill mail you ;)

Good book and some quality times,a real good read for anyone.

some members on here will find it offensive,but they can **** right off.

TOWZER

;)

The book reflects that Hearts fans were the most feared in Scotland at that time. It may be unpalatable to some on here, but that's the way it was. Memories.......;)

Trio - I'll have a read of it after your hols. Lost my copy so not read it in years.

billyboy38
CS Ferguson's other book is also a classic read (front cover leaves a lot to be desired though)

"germany away - this time it's war"

ps - that's not the book name

Im sure i have this book kicking about, sure it has Stratties on the front cover.....

Terrible Trio
Im sure i have this book kicking about, sure it has Stratties on the front cover.....

giving dundee a hiding if I am not mistaken

winston churchill
The book reflects that Hearts fans were the most feared in Scotland at that time. It may be unpalatable to some on here, but that's the way it was. Memories.......;)

Trio - I'll have a read of it after your hols. Lost my copy so not read it in years.

a slight exageration,hearts had a tasty mob, but were always a bit thin on the ground when it came to numbers;)

Robertson9

BOYRG in 5 seconds:

Repeat to end...

You ought to get a job with the Edinburgh Evening Hibs.

Your description of how the book goes is utter bull.

You more or less never lived in those days but choose to criticise or you did live in those days but chose to spend time sorting out your stamp collection and watching Open University.

Facts are facts, this is what happened if you want to compile a book of your own living days then do so, look forward to it.

Robertson9
So you don't see it being shortlisted for the Booker Prize then?;)

I've never read but did read part of that sheep casuals book and I suspect they are all the same. Never take a doing, never run etc etc etc.

Unlike those other books, CS does in actual fact tell the tales of when the Hearts crew are on the back foot or getting a "doing".

Robertson9
must admit i found boyrg and bloody casuals a bit amatuarish(havent read dykes book)even tho cs ferguson was a good mate,have always enjoyed the english lads books more

You can relate to both cults (casual & mod) you'll then be able to back him up when some of the critics on here slate him for the content. Credit where due though, Jay takes the prize for setting the ball rolling and i would bet if he had the chance again it would be better and more detailed.

CS has to get credit for actually putting Hearts on the "Hooligan book Map" don't see/hear anyone else putting pen to paper.

Robertson9
Did Hearts casuals ever fight.I can remember them getting abuse when walking round the shed but i cannot think of 1 fight i have saw them in.

When they started out they were small in numbers but remember they were "Edinburgh Casuals" not Hearts or Hibs. The term casual was not originally meant to represent football hooliganism.

After a few incidents at the Southside Snooker Centre, a Hearts v Aberdeen Scottish Cup tie, a few liberty takers from Leith and the reaction from "The Shed" at the emergance of this new brand of fan put the Hearts Casuals into a slight predicament.

They couldn't pull the same numbers as Aberdeen, Motherwell or Rangers and because of the Hearts fans refusing to take of their "bovver boots" for Adidas or Dia Dora the small numbered CSF couldn't compete with the "Big Boys".

It's alarming to know that quite a lot of the Hibs faces were in actual fact Hearts fans or previous members of the CSF, this was they're safety in numbers clause.

But over the piece the Hearts CSF have had many a battle, maybe not in the grand scale of the ASC, the ICF or the exagerated CCS but certainly not to be underestimated, they have had they're fun.

Robertson9

Far from it mate, CS was one of the first casuals in Edinburgh after his stint at the mod revival. He will never claim to be a hardman but admit to be more interested in the fashion and the combination of two groups wanting to have a go.

Denny Crane

The book reminded me of an old Groucho Marx quote: "From the moment I picked it up to the moment I put it down again, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I might even read it!"

Not exactly a fan of "Hoolie porn". No one should have to go to a football match with the prospect of getting beaten up because some idiot was "up for it" or "wanted a buzz". Neither should the club these imbeciles claim to support have to suffer the consequences that their moronic actions bring. "A bit of a laugh innit" doesn't quite cut the mustard when a supporter who just went along to see his team play spends the night in casualty or on a mortuary slab. No doubt those defending the hooligans will say "but they only target other firms". I was watching a documentary on Martin McGuiness on BBC4 the other night and he was coming out with the same "we don't kill civilians" nonsense. Different circumstances but same old garbage.

For a period of time these people did their level best to spoil the enjoyment of going to watch football which ultimately culminated in bodies being pulled out for loved ones to bury thanks to the stupidity of the pondlife who wanted to carry out another sordid agenda.

B******s!

Archived