Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

2 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

This is the shop I mentioned. No 12 Inverleith Row.

Shop Inverleith Row.png

That’s the one. Was Sports Conscious and then became Colin Campbell Sports after he retired from football and became a businessman which would probably have been the early 80’s. 

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

Stuart Lyon
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

That’s the one. Was Sports Conscious and then became Colin Campbell Sports after he retired from football and became a businessman which would probably have been the early 80’s. 

I was wrong its No68 Inverleith Row. Here's a pic when it became Colin Campbell's Total Football shop

ColinCampbell now operates out of 18 Beaverbank Place according to Google

CC Total Football.png

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Shop Inverleith Row.png

I'm pretty sure  this is the former Colin Campbell shop - however the Kreme Karamel cafe address is coming as number 68 Inverleith Row - which matches the address given for Colin Campbell sports in this out-of-date search site

Find opening times for Colin Campbell Sports in 68 INVERLEITH ROW, Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, EH3 5LT and check other details as well, such as: ☎️ phone number, map, website and

Stuart Lyon
21 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I'm pretty sure  this is the former Colin Campbell shop - however the Kreme Karamel cafe address is coming as number 68 Inverleith Row - which matches the address given for Colin Campbell sports in this out-of-date search site

Find opening times for Colin Campbell Sports in 68 INVERLEITH ROW, Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, EH3 5LT and check other details as well, such as: ☎️ phone number, map, website and

I corrected the address in a subsequent post.

7 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Spooky Morgan. Just before coming on here just now I asked my wife if she remembered the name but she didn't. Then I said was it Sports Conscious and she thinks it was. I'm sure they also had a shop opposite the Botanics.

Thanks again, Stuart.

We are heading over to that side of town early next week so will have a wee look-see.

3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Shop Inverleith Row.png

3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I was wrong its No68 Inverleith Row. Here's a pic when it became Colin Campbell's Total Football shop

ColinCampbell now operates out of 18 Beaverbank Place according to Google

CC Total Football.png

I’m pretty sure we have passed one of these two corners in the past month or so.  I think one of them is a pub now called The Orchard, or something like that?

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Thanks again, Stuart.

We are heading over to that side of town early next week so will have a wee look-see.

I’m pretty sure we have passed one of these two corners in the past month or so.  I think one of them is a pub now called The Orchard, or something like that?

Correct. The next corner towards town, used to be The Northern Bar, or Marshall’s to the locals. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Correct. The next corner towards town, used to be The Northern Bar, or Marshall’s to the locals. 

Ta.

I remember the Northern Bar from many moons ago.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Think the filmed a Tennants lager ad there - Caledonia 

4 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Think the filmed a Tennants lager ad there - Caledonia 

I think that was filmed in what is now Angel’s Share at the West End. 

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ahh ok 

I could have sworn it was the Northern Bar so thanks for correcting me 🙌

22 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Bianco’s? Yes I think you are correct 

4 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Ahh ok 

I could have sworn it was the Northern Bar so thanks for correcting me 🙌

I could be wrong as there were a series of those adverts. I knew the actor that played the guy coming back to Edinburgh in them. Who, ironically, was called Seamus and was Irish. 

12 minutes ago, Section Q said:

One for the oldies on here. Bruce's Record Shop in Rose Street was iconic in the 70s.

images.jpeg

I-found-it-at-Bruces.jpg

Iconic red carrier bags. 

Lone Striker

Anyone remember the Army & Navy shop  in Leith Walk ?   It seemed to sell more stuff that was nothing to do with the Army or Navy - more like a Milletts really.   

According to Wiki, it got swallowed up by House of Fraser  leading eventually to  the closure of all their standalone stores.

I've got vague memories as a laddie going into sweetie shops and asking to see the "penny tray" .... or if you were loaded, the "threepenny tray".    

(For younger viewers, that's pre-decimalisation money.  a "threepenny bit" was roughly 1 "new penny")

th?id=OIP.n2CsDLriOqsFKAI2wiYrZQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

5 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Anyone remember the Army & Navy shop  in Leith Walk ?   It seemed to sell more stuff that was nothing to do with the Army or Navy - more like a Milletts really.   

According to Wiki, it got swallowed up by House of Fraser  leading eventually to  the closure of all their standalone stores.

I've got vague memories as a laddie going into sweetie shops and asking to see the "penny tray" .... or if you were loaded, the "threepenny tray".    

(For younger viewers, that's pre-decimalisation money.  a "threepenny bit" was roughly 1 "new penny")

th?id=OIP.n2CsDLriOqsFKAI2wiYrZQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

Wasn't a sixpence equivalent to 5 'new pence'? That would make a thruppenny bit 2½ new pence?

Nah, it was a shilling that was 5 'New P'. D'oh!!!

My brain hurts!!! 😁

Anyhoo, Kevin Kyle had a heid like a thruppeny bit. 😉

It was as per 👇

Screenshot_20230724_042929_Google.jpg

Edited by Wee Mikey

On 22/07/2023 at 19:14, Morgan said:

I’m looking for the name of a sports shop that was (I think) on either Meadow Place or Roseneath Place about 1000 years ago.

Can anyone help?

@Stuart Lyon ?

Fraser Dall?