Warning signs from Hearts.

JamboJohn1874

JamboJohn1874

Anyone else becoming concerned over the standard our play has dropped to as we get further and further into the season?

We started back in the summer with all guns blazing and  with our dodgy defence we had to our score other teams to get the victories. If nothing else it was exciting, and you always felt we were likely to score. We got a bit of luck with Ozturk?s injury which allowed Augustyn and Rossi to play together and our defence stiffened up substantially and is still really good. Unfortunately the manager seems to have gone to town on this defensive stuff and we have now become one of the most boring, dull and physical teams in the league. Where are the goals coming from? What?s with all this hoofball sh~t every week!

Walker has been a big miss but I also suspect the goals and especially the assists from Billy King are overlooked as well. Why does he not get a start or on earlier now as a sub. Djoum is a good, strong and physical player but he doesn?t exactly set the heather on fire. Pallardo, although still a quality player, is frequently caught out for pace in this league and is now looking distinctly ordinary. Quite frankly it is not good enough, no matter what our league position says. Neilson is following our Director of football?s style when he was here and it is dull. Jaunma seems to be losing interest and Sow may not be here for long. Even worse, if we don?t substantially pick up against Celtic and especially Aberdeen in the cup, everything important this season will be gone and it won?t be long before we stop seeing the ?sold out? signs up every week.

Get a grip Neilson. Stop working the players to death, stop the hoofball and start embracing attacking football again.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The importance of Jamie Walker cannot be overstated. Pallardo hasnt been fully fit this season, hence he has (at times) looked "ordinary" as you put it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Aye, devastated we are in 3rd. Sack Budge and the rest of them and the FoH isn't donating enough either.

Me oh my.

I am very worried yes.  All the usual JKB losers are putting the "we are 3rd" and "this time 2 years ago" spin on it but I think now we are 4 wins in 14 games or something.  I am very worried.  Put whatever loser spin you wish on it, we have won 4 games out of 14 or something.  With Celtic up next.

It happens

not concerned as expect Robbie and players to sort it out

Its often forgotten that other teams are pretty decent

Walker and a couple of other changes coming will help

but I agree last few games have been a struggle

I wish we would get back to playing the 4231 formation instead of this 433 with 3 holding players we are playing just now.Its absolute pish play one of either Sow or Juanma and let the likes of King and Nicholson play the wide role if Sow isnt the main striker than play him in behind Juanma but through the middle instead of pushed out wide.

We turn to hoof ball when players panic or no one to pass to, and that's happened a little too much. We still play nice football at times, but they could do with more training on awareness and working harder to create space. Sow out of position and a mildly motivated Juanma hasn't helped create space.

Anybody tell me the last time we had a side in the top league that was playing great football and consistently picking up results? Aside from the start of 05/06 season with the side that cost us a fortune, you have to go back many years until we had a team that was that consistently impressive. We had a 12 or 13 game spell under Jefferies but the football wasn't exactly entertaining.

My point being that people are expecting too much. Scottish football, for as long as I have been going is inconsistent aside from Celtic and Rangers the odd year. 

There are times we will come out and dominate games and play well, other times we will look poor. So long as there is more of the former than the latter then you have a good season as far as the table goes

Looking at previous SPL tables

14/15 Aberdeen 2nd 23 wins/38

13/14 Motherwell 2nd 22 wins/38

12/13 Motherwell 2nd 18 wins/38

11/12 Motherwell 3rd 18 wins/38

So far we have 9 wins out of 18, replicate that the 2nd half of the season and we'll finish 3rd as history dictates, which would be a good season on our first season back in top league, build again to have a go at Aberdeen the following year

Folk are far too doom and gloom and expectant at the moment, have a bit perspective. We'll go through spells of not looking too good (just now), in a few weeks time we'll look a good side, its the way its always been

Edit: to add to that, our current form is DDWWWWDDLD, thats 1 defeat in 10 games

Anybody tell me the last time we had a side in the top league that was playing great football and consistently picking up results? Aside from the start of 05/06 season with the side that cost us a fortune, you have to go back many years until we had a team that was that consistently impressive. We had a 12 or 13 game spell under Jefferies but the football wasn't exactly entertaining.

My point being that people are expecting too much. Scottish football, for as long as I have been going is inconsistent aside from Celtic and Rangers the odd year. 

There are times we will come out and dominate games and play well, other times we will look poor. So long as there is more of the former than the latter then you have a good season as far as the table goes

So far we have 9 wins out of 18, replicate that the 2nd half of the season and we'll finish 3rd as history dictates, which would be a good season on our first season back in top league, build again to have a go at Aberdeen the following year

Folk are far too doom and gloom and expectant at the moment, have a bit perspective. We'll go through spells of not looking too good (just now), in a few months time we'll look a good side, its the way its always been

So you think we will win 50% of our remaining games? For **** sake wake up people.  We are getting worse every week.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Folk are far too doom and gloom and expectant at the moment, have a bit perspective. We'll go through spells of not looking too good (just now), in a few weeks time we'll look a good side, its the way its always been

Ah, perspective!

Not even slightly. No. We are having a season of good runs and bad and it is levelling off with us sitting in third place so far, so no. I'm also not a colossal pant-wetting drama queen. Not aimed at you OP. 

I don't know how anyone can disagree with the OP. We are horrible to watch. Fair enough we have tightened up defensively but we have abandoned the will to run at the opposition, attack and create chances.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

So you think we will win 50% of our remaining games? For **** sake wake up people.  We are getting worse every week.

That's because we are playing the better teams just now, they are allowed to challenge us. Don't worry, United and Killie coming soon.

Jambof3tornado

So you think we will win 50% of our remaining games? For **** sake wake up people. We are getting worse every week.

Utter tosh.

We are stronger defensively now than we have been in ages.

The football has been very poor though.

We're going through a rough spell, in which we've lost once in ten(?) games, we're not perfect but it's hardly crisis time. People need to chill out. 

Having said that, I agree recent performances could be better, the football on show could be much, much better and we are definitely too negative at times. I'm not saying we should be playing fantastic free-flowing football for 90 minutes but it would be good to see a bit more intensity. The home game against Killie sticks out for me, there was a spell of 10/15 minutes when Nicholson and Sow burst into life and ripped them apart, creating chances and just entertaining the crowd. It's impossible to keep that up for the whole game but I think we're capable of doing it more often, we're too quick to go back into our shells and invite teams onto us which ultimately cost us against Killie and Dundee. I'm confident we'll get it right, we're in a good place just now and there's more to come. 

Utter tosh.

We are stronger defensively now than we have been in ages.

The football has been very poor though.

When we were shite defensively at the start of the season we were winning game tho.  I genuinely can't see where our next win is coming from.  We will win at some stage obviously but I just don't know where.

I don't know how anyone can disagree with the OP. We are horrible to watch. Fair enough we have tightened up defensively but we have abandoned the will to run at the opposition, attack and create chances.

All those pens we were winning at the start of the season as we were running at defenders its all but dried up now.Its as if the blip we had after the first 5 games has killed adventrous play.

I am very worried yes.  All the usual JKB losers are putting the "we are 3rd" and "this time 2 years ago" spin on it but I think now we are 4 wins in 14 games or something.  I am very worried.  Put whatever loser spin you wish on it, we have won 4 games out of 14 or something.  With Celtic up next.

Its 4 wins in our last 13 games.

3rd in the Premiership at Christmas and our defence has tightened right up. Happy with that

The defence is great just now but i will tell you what it needs to be as they get no help at all from the midfield 3 in front of them.

3rd in the Premiership at Christmas and our defence has tightened right up. Happy with that

Always great to be tight at the back but it is far more important to be deadly up front.  Play attacking and you will lose games but will win more than most.  Play for 0 - 0 every week and you end the season on 38 points.  This would likely get you relegated.

We need a big result in a big match. We have not had one since we beat Rangers at Tynecastle over a year ago.

Celtic on the 27th would be a good place to start.

There's no question we are shit to watch just now. I'm hoping our form improves and I can handle watching crap football if we take 3 points.

The defence is great just now but i will tell you what it needs to be as they get no help at all from the midfield 3 in front of them.

Who act like a wall.  Stopping any form of flow between defence and attack.  Utter brutal.

We need a big result in a big match. We have not had one since we beat Rangers at Tynecastle over a year ago.

Celtic on the 27th would be a good place to start.

Levein and Neilson tactics will never see us beat Celtic, at least 99% of the time.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We're going through a rough spell, in which we've lost once in ten(?) games, we're not perfect but it's hardly crisis time. People need to chill out. 

Having said that, I agree recent performances could be better, the football on show could be much, much better and we are definitely too negative at times. I'm not saying we should be playing fantastic free-flowing football for 90 minutes but it would be good to see a bit more intensity. The home game against Killie sticks out for me, there was a spell of 10/15 minutes when Nicholson and Sow burst into life and ripped them apart, creating chances and just entertaining the crowd. It's impossible to keep that up for the whole game but I think we're capable of doing it more often, we're too quick to go back into our shells and invite teams onto us which ultimately cost us against Killie and Dundee. I'm confident we'll get it right, we're in a good place just now and there's more to come.

Where I am at too. We are not in a place yet to "have it all". You build from the back. First few games were great. Had the OP sent this out following the run of Hamilton, ICT and Aberdeen, Killie (cup) only a complete moron would have argued that the defense did not need to improve.

Since then 2 1 goal defeats to the top 2 teams, with significant challenges to reduce those gaps still, I would say things are looking pretty good. In fact I hope he carries on with these tactics now to clinch third at least. It has been a hard run of games, many away, played in terrible weather to add to the mix. We now have some time back at Tynecastle where I am sure we will look to get on the front foot against those clubs we do have better players than.

Hearts v Celtic Sun 27 Dec 14:00
Hearts v Dundee Utd Wed 30 Dec 19:45
Kilmarnock v Hearts Sat 2 Jan 15:00
Hearts v Motherwell Sat 16 Jan 15:00
Hamilton v Hearts Sun 24 Jan 12:45
Inverness CT v Hearts Sat 30 Jan 12:30
Hearts v Partick Thistle Sat 13 Feb 15:00
Dundee Utd v Hearts Sat 20 Feb 15:00
Hearts v Kilmarnock Sat 27 Feb 15:00
Dundee v Hearts Sat 12 Mar 15:00
Hearts v St Johnstone Sat 19 Mar 15:00
Celtic v Hearts Sat 2 Apr 15:00
Hearts v Aberdeen Sat 9 Apr 15:00

Hearts v Inverness
Ross County v Hearts

7 of the games above are winnable, add to that any 2 from the split. Kidding yourself if you think we can't achieve that with this squad

Aye, devastated we are in 3rd. Sack Budge and the rest of them and the FoH isn't donating enough either.

Me oh my.

The only hysterical over reaction on this thread is your post..

The 'style' of play we've been playing as of late is horrible to watch and getting worse every week, whether we're 3rd or not there's no reason to be as dull and one dimensional as we are at the moment especially given the players at our disposal and how much more effective we were when we actually tried to play football.

Prince's reaction in particular and our complete lack of didcipline recently is telling that the players might not exactly be happy with this change either.

alwaysthereinspirit

I always wonder how the likes of Forest and Villa fans ever got over their team winning European cups.

Hearts v Inverness
Ross County v Hearts

7 of the games above are winnable, add to that any 2 from the split. Kidding yourself if you think we can't achieve that with this squad

Without changing things I can't see anything more than a few wins, mainly draws and some defeats.  Without doubt we can win them tho yes.  I however don't think we will.

It's dire.

I don;t expect us to win every week but I at least expect us to play on the front foot. We have too many talented footballers to be playing like this.

Standard of play is brutal at the moment ... I want to go and watch my team playing football not this crap being dished out at the moment

Levein is the culprit here

Tiberius Stinkfinger

See if i was to get my knickers in a twist as much as a few on this thread, I wouldn't bother going. The point of watching the game and supporting the team is to get enjoyment out of it surely,

My typical journey for a home game begins at 6.30am and I get home about midnight. I have a fantastic time, I love watching the team play, if we win its a pleasant journey home, if we lose its a pleasant journey home, if I didn't enjoy the whole experience then i wouldn't bother.

There's punters on this thread need sectioned for their own good !!

Hearts v Inverness

Ross County v Hearts

Every single one of these games should be looked upon as winnable.

See if i was to get my knickers in a twist as much as a few on this thread, I wouldn't bother going. The point of watching the game and supporting the team is to get enjoyment out of it surely,

My typical journey for a home game begins at 6.30am and I get home about midnight. I have a fantastic time, I love watching the team play, if we win its a pleasant journey home, if we lose its a pleasant journey home, if I didn't enjoy the whole experience then i wouldn't bother.

This guy get it.

Interesting you say that. I'm thinking the same, being London based it's a long day. I do wonder if having more time to ponder on the way home helps though. I'm normally a bit down after a defeat, but by the time I get to about York on the train, I've calmed down, realised how much I enjoy the whole thing and can't wait to go again the week after.

By the time I get home and read kickback some of the hysteria just all seems a bit much. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The only hysterical over reaction on this thread is your post..

The 'style' of play we've been playing as of late is horrible to watch and getting worse every week, whether we're 3rd or not there's no reason to be as dull and one dimensional as we are at the moment especially given the players at our disposal and how much more effective we were when we actually tried to play football.

Prince's reaction in particular and our complete lack of didcipline recently is telling that the players might not exactly be happy with this change either.

Oh the irony :rofl:

Unfortunately the manager seems to have gone to town on this defensive stuff and we have now become one of the most boring, dull and physical teams in the league. 

We are defending much better than we were but not sure I agree with the 'physical team' stuff that the media have touted as I see us getting bullied on the park quite a bit, particularly our centre midfielders and wide men get pushed off the ball a fair bit.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Interesting you say that. I'm thinking the same, being London based it's a long day. I do wonder if having more time to ponder on the way home helps though. I'm normally a bit down after a defeat, but by the time I get to about York on the train, I've calmed down, realised how much I enjoy the whole thing and can't wait to go again the week after.

By the time I get home and read kickback some of the hysteria just all seems a bit much.

Not as far as you guys but a long journey too. Imagine JKB in the Tommy McLean season. That would have been something to see

So you enjoy yourself if we play great or shite, how fantastic for you.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Of? Whether we're 3rd or not our style of football is shite.

I am anything but hysterical whilst those criticising basically a means to an end head for coronary

Regal Kingston

I think we were all hoping we could take our form of last year into the SPL

5 games in with 15 points it looked like we were going to.

13 games later and we have only picked up another 16 and some of the performances have been really poor.

I can get the 'reality check' view of some posters but what annoys me is the loss of the feel good factor.

You can't buy that and I feel through indiscipline, Neilsons tactics, Collum and injuries we have handed this away far too easily.

Why is pointing out we are third after just getting promoted a bad thing. There is no doubt we are playing poor but I have no issues with finishing 4th this season. Not only is this just the second season for some players at the club, who lets be honest had it easy last year, there are a bunch who this is their first season. It's clear we miss Walker and it's also clear we have some unfit players, I however am not worried about the club in the slightest.

Archived