Why are we all slating each other on here these days?

Mr Sifter

See more and more these days, people are talkin to each other like they're a piece of shit on here. It's becoming the norm.

I've got no clue why, but Christ it can make this place hard work sometimes.

I dunno what's the root cause for the downturn in civility, it could be a few things. Perhaps it's older posters disappearing and being replaced by younger folk, it may be to do with 'sides' people have taken over the whole young team thing, I don't know what it is. But over and over again, I'm seeing people being smart arses with others on here, for no other reason than because they can. It's a general lack of respect that becomes an undercurrent to almost every thread on here.

It seems to me sometimes people want to play the poster, instead of the post itself. Genuine debate gets stifled by people goin off on daft wee tangents, firing wise cracks and ****ing cornettes at each other, and it's nae gid. People seem to have wee vendettas goin on, it comes through in almost every post they make.

It's worth noting that the best threads recently on here have been the ones regarding the older players of years gone by. Contributed to by what seem decent posters, with genuine points to make, they're light years away from some of the tit for tat guff that goes down on other threads. I mean, look at the way the New Stand thread has gone the last couple of days. Two people have a disagreement over how a new stand would be funded. Thats fine. But check the condescending tone of the inital disagreement. It was the single biggest factor in that thread turning to shit for at least two pages. And for what?

for me there's a real tangible downturn in the way people are treating each other on here.

We've just come out of administration, we've just been promoted, there's talk of upgrading Tynie and we've got the mechanism in place to own our club. We could've died ffs. What's the problem?

I suppose I just wish everyone would at least be decent with each other. If we were all sat in a boozer face to face and we were to have these wee disagreements, it's safe to say we wouldn't act the way we do on here.

Some need to up their game on here. Stop being dicks, chill oot, and enjoy talking about the Hearts.

Anyway, i just wanted to say that. Ive been thinkin about it for a wee while, so i thought id finally get it off my chest. Im genuinely interested in what others think. It woukd be nice to hear what one or two posters in particular thought. I mean, surely others are seeing this too right? its as clear as the nose on yer face for me, i cannie be the only one!

Feel free to rip this, it's all good. See? ;-)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I put my opinion across and somebody replies in a snide way, or trying to deliberately prove my 'opinion' wrong or just has a go at me in general, I just stop posting on the thread. I have no time to argue with grown men on the Internet who support the same team as me. If it's an actual debate then I'll take part - it's when people sit on their high horse and act like the know it all then I just can't be arsed - conspiracy theory thread springs to mind, as do the religion threads.

I agree with the op.

Not sure if I'm entirely innocent though.

I have found myself on the receiving end of some nonsense.

Won't get into particulars but I'm going to be more conscious of my own posting style from now on.

Geoff Kilpatrick

In response to the OP, it's quite simple. A lot of good posters have left the board, either voluntarily or through being banned.

You tend to get a more congenial post in the shed rather than about the club itself on the main board. I always have a shufty in here first these days. Less smartarses around unless you're talking about religion :D

Its nothing news to be fair - we have these same kinda threads every so often.

To be honest, I think its actually something which the 'young team' or maybe more so the folk on that facebook page probably make a pretty fair and valid point on..... I think a lot of folk on here do hide behind a username. It provides a degree of anonymity which some folk use to their advantage.

I can say with relative confidence that a large number of folk guilty of dishing out the 'abuse' on here probably wouldn't be as quick to do so if the comments they were making were attributable to their 'actual' name rather than an internet moniker.

There's always been a massive clique on here and anyone that doesn't agree with their popular opinion gets shot down in flames. It's no wonder many don't post anything.

I'd agree that the boards worse, but over the last couple of years. As someone once said, Kickack's for arseholes.

chester copperpot

There's a couple of posters that have an opinion on absolutely everything and it's all become a bit boring for me seeing the same people spew out the same boring rubbish time after time.

I used to love this website but hardly ever post in the Terrace now and even in the shed it's the same arsey comments from the same boring people that have got me quite short fused with them.

I actually used to be quite a tolerant chap. :lol:

Football entices people from all walks of life. It's inevitable with such a broad demographic that there will be a lot of directly conflicting opinions.

That said, there does seem to be a lot of people who throw the dummy out the pram and start insulting people whenever someone disagrees.

I don't look at kickback as much for that very reason. A lot of good posters left because of that. Worse during the school holidays...

chester copperpot

Football entices people from all walks of life. It's inevitable with such a broad demographic that there will be a lot of directly conflicting opinions.

That said, there does seem to be a lot of people who throw the dummy out the pram and start insulting people whenever someone disagrees.

I quite like the posters who can debate without having to lower themselves to insults.

I am, however, not one of those posters :lol:

I think folk can read into things what they want, and not necessarily what was meant.

I think other boards let more slide as "banter" too , maybe there's a crossover.

What I will say to folk as well is hindsight is 20/20.

Edit- I was originally just going to post TL,DR but didn't want to upset you. [emoji106]

All roads lead to Gorgie

There is too much blinkered politics on here at times with not much flexibility to see the other arguments. Bickering seems to carry on between certain posters on various threads and can carry over from the Terrace to the Shed and spoil a lot of good subjects.

I don't mind the puns though and they can lighten the mood but the persistent trolls clutter up the board at times.

Regal Kingston

We should give each poster ratings like they do on the Daily Mail website.

That will make the wee ******s and boring trolls stand out

I blame social media. I'm still to work out the logic behind it but I'm sure twitter and facebook play a major part in most of the today's problems. 

There's always been a massive clique on here and anyone that doesn't agree with their popular opinion gets shot down in flames. It's no wonder many don't post anything.

I'd agree that the boards worse, but over the last couple of years. As someone once said, Kickack's for arseholes.

The Clique - RIP gone but not forgotten

They don't reside in these parts anymore

I think folk can read into things what they want, and not necessarily what was meant.

I think other boards let more slide as "banter" too , maybe there's a crossover.

What I will say to folk as well is hindsight is 20/20.

Edit- I was originally just going to post TL,DR but didn't want to upset you. [emoji106]

I would agree with this, I've seen many times posters posting something myself included which is pretty self explanatory in it's meaning, however there seems to always be one person who takes it the wrong way or are looking for something which just isn't there in the post and reacts to it.  

Like most posters we all have an opinion on a wide variety of subjects but often I and I would think many other posters don't post on certain threads as you can see the way the thread is going and it's just not worth the hassle posting on it.

Regal Kingston

I blame social media. I'm still to work out the logic behind it but I'm sure twitter and facebook play a major part in most of the today's problems. 

Social media (especially Facebook) brings out the very worst traits in human beings - pretty much covers all seven deadly sins.

I want no part in Facebook whatsoever.

I used to be ridiculed for my stance now people on are beginning to think its better off it.

However they are to afraid to leave in case they miss something important.

Like panning for gold

The Clique - RIP gone but not forgotten

They don't reside in these parts anymore

They've been gone for at least 3 years, but the still get blamed for the dwindling quality of here :lol:

Riddley Walker

I barely look at football threads anymore apart from match days tbh, unless it's about something "interesting". I find people debating players' performance and match ratings tedious. Still scan the Terrace for football news quite often though.

Has JKB got worse? I think some folk may be looking back with a bit of a nostalgic glow, there's always been bickering and folk having a go at each other.

There is a trend of people taking things the wrong way and people get a hard time without doing too much wrong. Thing is, there's guys and girls from all walks of life on here, living all over the world in different jobs, hugely varying life experience: There's gonna be a lot of different viewpoints and opinions on stuff. It's also quite easy to come across as more bullish than you are trying to on here, like in text or email.

The Treasurer

Nothing more annoying than a decent topic being lost in a playground spat between 2 or 3 posters.

Actually come to think of it, I've probably been guilty of that myself on the odd occasion.

Sorry folks I'll try to be good from now on (well at least until Santa comes)  :wings:

They've been gone for at least 3 years, but the still get blamed for the dwindling quality of here :lol:

It's still here. Between that and the tiresome trolls I'm surprised anyone bothers anymore.

Ah, the clique.

My interpretation of the clique chat is that people tend to be too sensitive when going against popular opinion - a couple of dissenting posts and it's "the clique, the clique"

As for decent posters leaving, that's selective, there are some absolute roasters who are no longer here too, and thank f.

I do agree with the OP though, although I may have slipped recently, I try to be neutral in language and style. But it seems more and more common for a sarcastic putdown, a smart arse smiley or a superior, snide remark to be the go-to response for something that's disagreed with.

Hey, that's life, I'm in my 40s and pubs are getting more annoying too

You know what I hate about every thread?

If it doesn't decend into immediately having a go at each other, there is a 100% chance of terrible puns developing somewhere around post 3. :lol:

Optimus Prime

Can the OP link to posts that are examples of what he means?

Agree with the OP, there are a number of issues but one is that a number of folk spend far too much time on here and take it far too seriously. 

The Treasurer

If it doesn't decend into immediately having a go at each other, there is a 100% chance of terrible puns developing somewhere around post 3. :lol:

You mean it turns into a PUN fight  :tiny:

Been on this site for years, long before every man and his dog had a computer. Lost count of the amount of times i've typed a post out then deleted it thinking what's the point, far too many smart ar**s on here these day's, but hey, that's internet forums for you, is it not?

Some people elevate kickback to being some sort of mouthpiece for the club. It isn't, and if the club is using it as some sort of barometer...well they shouldn't.

What a THREADful post.

Governor Tarkin

Some people elevate kickback to being some sort of mouthpiece for the club. It isn't, and if the club is using it as some sort of barometer...well they shouldn't.

Correct.

Interesting to hear some say that perhaps they've been partial to a wee bitchy remark or two in the past. I'm probably guilty too. Consider this a cathartic amnesty. Lets all get it out there and then we can all move on ;-)

Geoff I probably could find examples, but I reckon you're not actually that bothered in dissecting individual posts. And either way, I'm not that bothered to go looking for them ;-)

If this thread makes someone think twice before posting a dickish comment just for the sake of it, then maybe we've done some good. The board will be a better place for it. Then again, perhaps I'm sticking myself up on a pedestal here. Perhaps the thread will make no difference at all and everyone will just continue to be merchant bankers to each other!!

Rudolf's Mate

PHM wouldn't be seen dead on kickback! Why? Arsehole infestation!

That's what I'm regularly told anyway.

Ach everyone's got it in them to be a *****! I tried for years to post what I thought was a non confrontational style. Unfortunately the arseholes always find you and it's not long before you become one of them!

My favourit is when someone's being rounded on by a group but you actually think the minority is right. You jump in and say your piece only to be turned upon by the minority :rofl: Let's face it. Some just want to fight their own fight and they'll be ****ed if they'll let any other ****ers jump on that bandwagon!

All roads lead to Gorgie

You mean it turns into a PUN fight  :tiny:

These posters should be PUNted  :ninja:

In response to the OP, it's quite simple. A lot of good posters have left the board, either voluntarily or through being banned.

This.

Many of the ones you'll be thinking of (and many others), managed to keep others in check and a degree of self moderation worked a treat. They're not here any more.

See more and more these days, people are talkin to each other like they're a piece of shit on here. It's becoming the norm.

I've got no clue why, but Christ it can make this place hard work sometimes.

I dunno what's the root cause for the downturn in civility, it could be a few things. Perhaps it's older posters disappearing and being replaced by younger folk, it may be to do with 'sides' people have taken over the whole young team thing, I don't know what it is. But over and over again, I'm seeing people being smart arses with others on here, for no other reason than because they can. It's a general lack of respect that becomes an undercurrent to almost every thread on here.

It seems to me sometimes people want to play the poster, instead of the post itself. Genuine debate gets stifled by people goin off on daft wee tangents, firing wise cracks and ******* cornettes at each other, and it's nae gid. People seem to have wee vendettas goin on, it comes through in almost every post they make.

It's worth noting that the best threads recently on here have been the ones regarding the older players of years gone by. Contributed to by what seem decent posters, with genuine points to make, they're light years away from some of the tit for tat guff that goes down on other threads. I mean, look at the way the New Stand thread has gone the last couple of days. Two people have a disagreement over how a new stand would be funded. Thats fine. But check the condescending tone of the inital disagreement. It was the single biggest factor in that thread turning to shit for at least two pages. And for what?

for me there's a real tangible downturn in the way people are treating each other on here.

We've just come out of administration, we've just been promoted, there's talk of upgrading Tynie and we've got the mechanism in place to own our club. We could've died ffs. What's the problem?

I suppose I just wish everyone would at least be decent with each other. If we were all sat in a boozer face to face and we were to have these wee disagreements, it's safe to say we wouldn't act the way we do on here.

Some need to up their game on here. Stop being dicks, chill oot, and enjoy talking about the Hearts.

Anyway, i just wanted to say that. Ive been thinkin about it for a wee while, so i thought id finally get it off my chest. Im genuinely interested in what others think. It woukd be nice to hear what one or two posters in particular thought. I mean, surely others are seeing this too right? its as clear as the nose on yer face for me, i cannie be the only one!

Feel free to rip this, it's all good. See? ;-)

Pretty sure you have had an unwarranted wee smarmy dig at me on a thread or two recently. I'd be happy to look for those posts and copy them here for you. Then perhaps you might be able to get your own house in order before pointing the finger at other c****s

I'm not so sure KB is any different to the past...??

In the shed at least, if the Topic is neutral e.g.

• Motorbikes
  • Solar Panels
  • Best Operating system
  • etc......then we have a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable community on KB.........no??? In fact compared to any other football forum I know we have some astonishingly eloquent, erudite and perspicacious members.

Now when it comes to more contentious topics e.g.

• Politics
  • Political figures
  • Current affairs
  • Religious subject matters.......then it can be more heated....but.....then has it not always been so???

In fact just been reading the Jeremy Corbyn thread and I actually think its been very interesting and not particularly acrimonious or laced with pejorative language at all ?? 

Another example -  several pages ago there was a thread entitled "Jesus Christ" and I thought, this could get heated - but no, it was 3 pages of posts nearly all discussing the origins of the name, how it may have changed as it morphed from Aramaic- Greek -eventually English, the historicity aspects and a lot more - it was really educational and  interesting and no acrimony at all ?????

Suppose its all about sifting the wheat from the chaff, but go and check out the level of discussion on a few other football forums and IMO we have a pretty good community.

Suppose it is just the way the internet is going, facebook is the same.

The referendum vote has really fecked up facebook.

I do think the referendum has had an effect.  Some folks following out in the shed and carrying arguments over into the terrace.

Rudolf's Mate

I do think the referendum has had an effect.  Some folks following out in the shed and carrying arguments over into the terrace.

Mmmm right are you me thinks!

There is also a small group of folk who are here simply to bang on a political message and try to dominate every thread, or crowbar it into even the most innocent of Shed threads. 

Pretty sure you have had an unwarranted wee smarmy dig at me on a thread or two recently. I'd be happy to look for those posts and copy them here for you. Then perhaps you might be able to get your own house in order before pointing the finger at other ^^^^*s

No need to trawl back through threads, a simple check of this one will see me admitting that perhaps ive been as bad as the next one on one or two occasions. Its partly because of that I've started this thread. This is a plea for people to get a grip and chill out. It's a fitba forum, do we REALLY have to be wideos with each other for the sake of it?

Can't help but think you're completely missing the point...or illustrating my point exactly. Not sure which to be honest.

Riddley Walker

No need to trawl back through threads, a simple check of this one will see me admitting that perhaps ive been as bad as the next one on one or two occasions. Its partly because of that I've started this thread. This is a plea for people to get a grip and chill out. It's a fitba forum, do we REALLY have to be wideos with each other for the sake of it?

Can't help but think you're completely missing the point...or illustrating my point exactly. Not sure which to be honest.

I think you need to get a grip mate.

Archived