"God Bless you"

i8hibsh

He wasn't "down in life's gutter" he was having a laugh with his fellow drunks. He looked pretty happy. Happier than me infact who was getting soaked on his way to work.

Poor soul.

You sound much worse off than him right enough.

Your attitude towards homelessness (again), betrays a staggering lack of understanding.

And then you come on here & seem to find pleasure in bragging about it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's generally what most people would call being offended.  I don't have an OED handy but most of the online dictionaries define "offend" as "to make someone upset or angry" or "to annoy, irritate, or anger."  

"God bless you" is, if the word "God" really gets your knickers in a twist, simply a wish for good fortune for you.  To get angry about that (that is to say, to be offended by it) seems really childish.

Going by your location you must get it a lot.  I used to live in the States too and it was water off a duck's back when they would say it.

I don't deny it is a 'pleasantry' but it is further proof that you just can't escape this bullshit.  Now sentiment aside let's think about it ok..... "May God Bless you" or "God Blesses you" means either:

May God Bless You

Every second of every day people are being mutilated, raped, murdered, diagnosed with cancer, AIDS, having handicap children, being tortured etc.  Not much blessing going on there.  Why would God bless me for sneezing? If he was to bless me for sneezing and give a wonderful couple a handicap child then there is a wee bit of an inbalance there.

Then why would I want something so obviously vile to bless me?  I want no part in it, so to me yes it is an insult.  Someone is wanting someone evil to bless me.

And, what exactly is blessing? Why are some children born blessed and some children being dealt every bad hand in the pack?  What the **** did a new born baby do to deserve bone cancer?  Why do evil people live longer than wonderful decent human beings?

God Blesses You

Why do people queue up for days and let a little man from a vile institution in a stupid little hat and a stupid little uniform touch a babies head and say ?you are blessed?  What an effing fraudster.  This crook has as much a personal relationship with God as me and that is absolute zero.

Poor soul.

Your attitude towards homelessness (again), betrays a staggering lack of understanding.

You really do think all homeless people are utter desolate yeah?  Most' homeless' people I see have smart phones ffs!

Just a suggestion i8........

Next time someone says God Bless to you.......give them a smile and ask which one?

Then move on and within 30 seconds forget it.

Just a suggestion i8........

Next time someone says God Bless to you.......give them a smile and ask which one?

Then move on and within 30 seconds forget it.

Hahaha I have actually used that once when someone said "Do you believe in god"

Poor soul.

well his hero is Maggie Thatcher, which says it all about him   

well his hero is Maggie Thatcher, which says it all about him   

I have many but yes she is one.  Never realised it defined me as a person tho sorry.

I waver back and forth on this a bit

On the one hand I think everyone should make their own peace with the universe and it's a natural human instinct to believe (for me it's very much something I have to physically not do and I'll find myself thanking the big man in the sky when something particularly lucky goes my way) and none of it matters a jot anyway.

On the other hand I think anyone who believes in the christian God is a moron and has probably been tragically brainwashed into it by their parents at an early age

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

[quote name="MrRobbo10" post="5105578" timestamp="1447863654"

On the other hand I think anyone who believes in the christian God is a moron and has probably been tragically brainwashed into it by their parents at an early age

All religion is brainwashing. No-one's born with a belief in god.

Whilst the op is lacking on subtlety I'm staggered by the amount of people that are lining up to have a pop at him because they think it's OK to believe in fairies in the sky.

Whilst the op is lacking on subtlety I'm staggered by the amount of people that are lining up to have a pop at him because they think it's OK to believe in fairies in the sky.

Theyre not, its because hes a tight arse, who would give anyone a nod in the desert.

Squeak Squeak Squeak as he walks.

The White Cockade

Stephen Fry was interviewed by Gay Byrne a while ago and totally let rip into the concept of a God or any form of some governing celectial being (if that's the right phrase). Trying to find it on you tube just now but not having much success so if anyone could put it up, many thanks. He does rip the whole God thing to bits.

Don't believe in God but Stephen Fry is a complete twat

Being non-religious I don?t get offended. I do have to take you to task on this tho as I never ?throw it down anyone?s throat?. I discuss it and rip it apart as it deserves both. I don?t have a moral high ground badge, I don?t make other people believe what I do, I just want to make them feel guilty for 99.9% of all the world?s atrocities. I want them to feel ridiculous as they deserve to feel ridiculous.

99.9% of the world's atrocities are caused by intolerance religious or otherwise.

As you keep proving intolerance is not exclusive to religious types.

If somebody believes in an almighty God who has phenomenal powers and wishes me to be blessed by this God, then I think that's a good thing.

Don't believe in God but Stephen Fry is a complete ****

Really? I think that is the first time I have ever heard anyone say something like that about Stephen Fry. Strange.

Theyre not, its because hes a tight arse, who would give anyone a nod in the desert.

Squeak Squeak Squeak as he walks.

That's all based on pre-conceived opinions through other threads, of which have nothing to do with this one. It's also a bit of an odd thing to call him, is he your mate and did he dip out of getting the beers in?

Riddley Walker

Really? I think that is the first time I have ever heard anyone say something like that about Stephen Fry. Strange.

I thought it was a bizarre comment as well.

I8's not exactly tactful but I agree with him on religion. Fair enough if you believe in a God, but, really, think about it for **** sake.

I suppose if you are brought up with it being pummeled into you that God is real then it becomes part of you and difficult to shake off. The number of people who adopt God later in life must be pretty low, I imagine.

I'm glad that Scotland and large parts of Europe are quickly becoming less religious. Couple of generations it will be completely on the fringes of several countries.

I have many but yes she is one.  Never realised it defined me as a person tho sorry.

I assume you are aware of the role that religion played in her life?

A strange type of hero, one that you look down on and ridicule.

kingantti1874

Religion served a purpose at one point, but there's no room for it in modern society .. Has any other subject been directly responsible for the suffering and deaths of so many.. About time these fantasies are shown up for what they are..

Many people don't believe in God.  Until the time they have a personal crisis like a critically ill kid or family member.

Religion served a purpose at one point, but there's no room for it in modern society .. Has any other subject been directly responsible for the suffering and deaths of so many.. About time these fantasies are shown up for what they are..

I blame the Borgias, that Pope Alexander VI was some lad, it's been all down hill since then.

I assume you are aware of the role that religion played in her life?

A strange type of hero, one that you look down on and ridicule.

You assume correct.

It has never served a purpose.

Many people don't believe in God. Until the time they have a personal crisis like a critically ill kid or family member.

Desperation can send people batshit crazy. All rational thought out the window.

No offence...but you shove your atheism down our throats far more than any religious people i know talk about their beliefs. It's all a little tired and sad if honest. Believe...don't believe....but just because you don't believe doesn't make you a better person. If I'm honest...you come across far worse than most religious people I know.

:smackdown:

Genuinely surprised to see religious folk on here. When we were growing up we'd have the hymns on Fridays in assembly and that but it was all utterly meaningless to us. Doubt you even get that these days

Genuinely surprised to see religious folk on here. When we were growing up we'd have the hymns on Fridays in assembly and that but it was all utterly meaningless to us. Doubt you even get that these days

I'm not religious but why are you surprised? Odd comment.

This thread is quite sad in all honesty. Started by an attention seeker who appears to have little respect for other people's view on life and their beliefs.

I know there are several other emails with 'religious' topics right now but there is nothing I think this is pertinent to.

I passed a homeless person this morning and he said "spare some change" to which I replied "no". He then says "OK, God Bless you" to which I replied "I hope not".  It got me thinking, do people think that it actually makes someone sound like a nice person by saying it? What do they think it actually means?  Are we supposed to be impressed that someone believes in God or has some kind of personal relationship with him that they are in some kind of VIP room area with him where he speaks to them personally?

Even when you sneeze,  people say "God Bless you", why oh why?  I see US presidents end every speech with it as if it is some kind of mandatory sign off. It is such a sad indictment of our world where people use their irrational beliefs as some kind of 'badge of niceness'.  

I don't get offended by it as nothing offends me,  but it really gets me angry when I see people spout this inane pish as though it commands some kind of respect.  I look down on anyone who believes in God - I really do.

You really shouldn't get steamed up about stuff like that.  There are bigger, more important things that need your emotional energy.

If you think the person is being sincere, simply say 'thanks'.  If you think it's just a lazy habit, ignore it.

Recently, an acquaintance of mine learned that I had a granddaughter in hospital, and she said to me, "I'll include her in my prayers."  I happen to believe that praying to a deity is a complete waste of time, but my reply was "Thanks, I appreciate your thoughtfulness."

No need to get angry or offended, imo.

That's all based on pre-conceived opinions through other threads, of which have nothing to do with this one. It's also a bit of an odd thing to call him, is he your mate and did he dip out of getting the beers in?

He's using it to justify not giving someone a coffee/tea/beer token.

You really do think all homeless people are utter desolate yeah? Most' homeless' people I see have smart phones ffs!

I have never seen a homeless person with a smartphone :lol: I doubt you have either mate but whatever.

God bless.

Going by your location you must get it a lot.  I used to live in the States too and it was water off a duck's back when they would say it.

I don't deny it is a 'pleasantry' but it is further proof that you just can't escape this bullshit.  Now sentiment aside let's think about it ok..... "May God Bless you" or "God Blesses you" means either:

May God Bless You

Every second of every day people are being mutilated, raped, murdered, diagnosed with cancer, AIDS, having handicap children, being tortured etc.  Not much blessing going on there.  Why would God bless me for sneezing? If he was to bless me for sneezing and give a wonderful couple a handicap child then there is a wee bit of an inbalance there.

Then why would I want something so obviously vile to bless me?  I want no part in it, so to me yes it is an insult.  Someone is wanting someone evil to bless me.

And, what exactly is blessing? Why are some children born blessed and some children being dealt every bad hand in the pack?  What the **** did a new born baby do to deserve bone cancer?  Why do evil people live longer than wonderful decent human beings?

God Blesses You

Why do people queue up for days and let a little man from a vile institution in a stupid little hat and a stupid little uniform touch a babies head and say ?you are blessed?  What an effing fraudster.  This crook has as much a personal relationship with God as me and that is absolute zero.

Given that the wife is a Presbyterian pastor I hear it more than most.

Regarding the rest (Stephen Fry, the theodicy question, and so on) I can and have gone on quite a lot over in the Christianity thread.  If someone wants to read my thoughts on that, there's plenty over there.  I suppose I could write it again but I'm trying to cut down on my extra-long posts these days.

More to the point, if someone actually wants a rational defence of religious practice I end up doing that a good bit, but more likely folk are just wanting to vent.

Given that the wife is a Presbyterian pastor I hear it more than most.

Regarding the rest (Stephen Fry, the theodicy question, and so on) I can and have gone on quite a lot over in the Christianity thread. If someone wants to read my thoughts on that, there's plenty over there. I suppose I could write it again but I'm trying to cut down on my extra-long posts these days.

More to the point, if someone actually wants a rational defence of religious practice I end up doing that a good bit, but more likely folk are just wanting to vent.

Oh! Go on write it again, with references and appendices and a bibliography.

I hope that you are keeping well.

This thread is quite sad in all honesty. Started by an attention seeker who appears to have little respect for other people's view on life and their beliefs.

Cause, basically, religion is something for sheltered poshos and yanks by this point

Many people don't believe in God.  Until the time they have a personal crisis like a critically ill kid or family member.

so true mate............

You really shouldn't get steamed up about stuff like that.  There are bigger, more important things that need your emotional energy.

If you think the person is being sincere, simply say 'thanks'.  If you think it's just a lazy habit, ignore it.

Recently, an acquaintance of mine learned that I had a granddaughter in hospital, and she said to me, "I'll include her in my prayers."  I happen to believe that praying to a deity is a complete waste of time, but my reply was "Thanks, I appreciate your thoughtfulness."

No need to get angry or offended, imo.

well said

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Going by your location you must get it a lot. I used to live in the States too and it was water off a duck's back when they would say it.

I don't deny it is a 'pleasantry' but it is further proof that you just can't escape this bullshit. Now sentiment aside let's think about it ok..... "May God Bless you" or "God Blesses you" means either:

May God Bless You

Every second of every day people are being mutilated, raped, murdered, diagnosed with cancer, AIDS, having handicap children, being tortured etc. Not much blessing going on there. Why would God bless me for sneezing? If he was to bless me for sneezing and give a wonderful couple a handicap child then there is a wee bit of an inbalance there.

Then why would I want something so obviously vile to bless me? I want no part in it, so to me yes it is an insult. Someone is wanting someone evil to bless me.

And, what exactly is blessing? Why are some children born blessed and some children being dealt every bad hand in the pack? What the **** did a new born baby do to deserve bone cancer? Why do evil people live longer than wonderful decent human beings?

God Blesses You

Why do people queue up for days and let a little man from a vile institution in a stupid little hat and a stupid little uniform touch a babies head and say ?you are blessed? What an effing fraudster. This crook has as much a personal relationship with God as me and that is absolute zero.

Fantastic post. It's something everybody knows and the only reasons given are vague at best. He's either almighty or he's not. He's a contradiction

maltese jambo

So what would you rather the Beggar said to you in response to you saying 'no' when he asked for change? Would you have preferred a barage of abuse and swearing? Bet you wouldn't have came moaning on here if he had.

Think your OP was a thinly veiled excuse for you to basically have a pop at religion. Or to put it another way, to make it clear you have a problem with everybody who doesn't believe religiously exactly what you believe.

As has been said in previous post, people come to their own conclusions about what they believe in/don't believe in. That's something that fortunately we are free to do. What this guy said to you was harmless and in fact quite nice, so you don't really have anything to complain about.

Oh! Go on write it again, with references and appendices and a bibliography.

I hope that you are keeping well.

Cheers, and you as well. ;)  Maybe after this week's coursework is done.

He's using it to justify not giving someone a coffee/tea/beer token.

He's not actually. He didn't try to justify not contributing to the homeless and the homeless bloke gave comment after he declined to donate.

It also surprises me. I find the irrational belief quite frightening and I can't help but think that there's something missing from those that actually beleive.

It also surprises me. I find the irrational belief quite frightening and I can't help but think that there's something missing from those that actually beleive.

Id say its the opposite.

I dont believe in god, but its not the religion thats the problem, its man, and people with attitudes like the op, aggressive Athiesm.(and Thatcherism)

Id say its the opposite.

I dont believe in god, but its not the religion thats the problem, its man, and people with attitudes like the op, aggressive Athiesm.(and Thatcherism)

Completely agree with that. It's not even nearly the opposite of what I said though, rather nothing to do with what I said.

Cause, basically, religion is something for sheltered poshos and yanks by this point

I don't know what sheltered poshos are/is?

There are many people in the UK who are religious. The majority are harmless and many I've met do not try to 'force' their practice on you. I have respect for them and wouldn't interfere or comment on what they wish to believe. I see it as good manners.

He looked like he had enough money last night if you know what I mean.  I work very hard for my money and I have the right to be selective in how I dispense it.  No?

Charity begins at home

Regal Kingston

Au contraire.

I have never been in trouble with the law, never harmed anyone, I keep to myself.  I work hard and pay my taxes.  I love animals and respect life.  I am kind and have a good heart.

I utterly DESPISE religion tho, do not suffer fools gladly, I am an atheist, a Tory, a Capitalist and I hate progressive thinking neo liberal bullshit. 

Hope the last part doesn?t make me too bad a human being in your eyes.

Apologies if I ha

Au contraire.

I have never been in trouble with the law, never harmed anyone, I keep to myself.  I work hard and pay my taxes.  I love animals and respect life.  I am kind and have a good heart.

I utterly DESPISE religion tho, do not suffer fools gladly, I am an atheist, a Tory, a Capitalist and I hate progressive thinking neo liberal bullshit. 

Hope the last part doesn?t make me too bad a human being in your eyes

Au contraire.

Hope the last part doesn?t make me too bad a human being in your eyes.

Apologies if I have a case of mistaken identity here but are you not the guy that used to pinch womens knickers of washing lines?

Archived