"God Bless you"

i8hibsh

I know there are several other emails with 'religious' topics right now but there is nothing I think this is pertinent to.

I passed a homeless person this morning and he said "spare some change" to which I replied "no". He then says "OK, God Bless you" to which I replied "I hope not".  It got me thinking, do people think that it actually makes someone sound like a nice person by saying it? What do they think it actually means?  Are we supposed to be impressed that someone believes in God or has some kind of personal relationship with him that they are in some kind of VIP room area with him where he speaks to them personally?

Even when you sneeze,  people say "God Bless you", why oh why?  I see US presidents end every speech with it as if it is some kind of mandatory sign off. It is such a sad indictment of our world where people use their irrational beliefs as some kind of 'badge of niceness'.  

I don't get offended by it as nothing offends me,  but it really gets me angry when I see people spout this inane pish as though it commands some kind of respect.  I look down on anyone who believes in God - I really do.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regal Kingston

I watched an adult film containing some auld ******* that appeared on Big Brother who had the biggest chebs in the UK

When the guy involved mentioned this fact she said 'oh god bless you'

Remember thinking why the feck would she say that?

Homeless people use it to shame you into giving them money.

Maybe not then and there but the next time you go by them.

Politicians use it to get votes from christians.

The sneezing thing stems from the plague I think as a sneeze was usually the first sign of illness?

I could be wrong.

Regal Kingston

Its also a good mnemonic for learning the position of the baulk colurs in snooker....

GREEN (god) BROWN (bless) YELLOW (you)

nice one mate being smart to a homeless person in this weather u must be pure hard n mental u csf bro?

He looked like he had enough money last night if you know what I mean.  I work very hard for my money and I have the right to be selective in how I dispense it.  No? 

Its also a good mnemonic for learning the position of the baulk colurs in snooker....

GREEN (god) BROWN (bless) YELLOW (you)

Hahaha I still do that in my head when I play and I can't control it.

He looked like he had enough money last night if you know what I mean.  I work very hard for my money and I have the right to be selective in how I dispense it.  No? 

never said u should be giving a hand out im just saying it comes across as if u were a douche to the guy for no reason

The fact that most youngsters permeate every sentence with OMG, several times, and "like" every other word is relatively new thing and a further degradation of our once beautiful language.

OMG I hope my post doesn't offend anyone, like.......

never said u should be giving a hand out im just saying it comes across as if u were a douche to the guy for no reason

Not at all.  I wasn't rude. I did not offend him or insult him in anyway.  A guy approaches me in the street as i'm walking to work and says (in a Weegie accent which didn't help) "a'right pal you couldnae spare a wee bit change for a cup of tea could you Sir" (I know I did not quote the full transcript earlier) to which I replied "no".  Not really sure what else I should've said.  "No, sorry"? Sorry for what? I'm not sorry i'm not giving him booze money.

The fact that most youngsters permeate every sentence with OMG, several times, and "like" every other word is relatively new thing and a further degradation of our once beautiful language.

OMG I hope my post doesn't offend anyone, like.......

It is sad how things stick in our head over the years tho.  I still think to myself "Jesus Christ" when ever I pass a hot bursd in the street.

He could just have been religious. 

Probably not tho.  And even if he was, what makes him think by spouting that shite I am suddenly going to go "actually mate you are obviously a lovely person as you worship the big man here is a fiver"?

There's a homeless guy in Dundee that sits "praying" with his head bowed all day, saying "God Bless You" whenever someone walks past.

I've heard that boy shouting and swearing in the bookies before, and he's about as far from a Christian as you can possibly be.  The boy's at it.

People that use it for attention or sympathy are the lowest of the low.

Салатные палочки

Probably not tho.  And even if he was, what makes him think by spouting that shite I am suddenly going to go "actually mate you are obviously a lovely person as you worship the big man here is a fiver"?

:rofl: poor guy.  Hopefully the big man keeps him warm at night when he is unfolding his cardboard.  

I am an atheist but still say bless you when someone Sneeze's, its polite/maners isn't it?. I say for gods sake or Jesus Christ when annoyed, I think it's just ingrained in our language, doesn't make you a God botherer.

Jeremy beagle

I know there are several other emails with 'religious' topics right now but there is nothing I think this is pertinent to.

I passed a homeless person this morning and he said "spare some change" to which I replied "no". He then says "OK, God Bless you" to which I replied "I hope not". It got me thinking, do people think that it actually makes someone sound like a nice person by saying it? What do they think it actually means? Are we supposed to be impressed that someone believes in God or has some kind of personal relationship with him that they are in some kind of VIP room area with him where he speaks to them personally?

Even when you sneeze, people say "God Bless you", why oh why? I see US presidents end every speech with it as if it is some kind of mandatory sign off. It is such a sad indictment of our world where people use their irrational beliefs as some kind of 'badge of niceness'.

I don't get offended by it as nothing offends me, but it really gets me angry when I see people spout this inane pish as though it commands some kind of respect. I look down on anyone who believes in God - I really do.

No offence...but you shove your atheism down our throats far more than any religious people i know talk about their beliefs. It's all a little tired and sad if honest. Believe...don't believe....but just because you don't believe doesn't make you a better person. If I'm honest...you come across far worse than most religious people I know.

There are a lot of people who find great comfort and guidance from their religion, like most things in life, if it doesn't affect me directly then i'm not too bothered.

Stephen Fry was interviewed by Gay Byrne a while ago and totally let rip into the concept of a God or any form of some governing celectial being (if that's the right phrase). Trying to find it on you tube just now but not having much success so if anyone could put it up, many thanks. He does rip the whole God thing to bits.

Ah another Christian basing thread. They seem to appear at regular intervals. I stopped contributing to these threads. This will be my only contribution on this one but I felt I had to say I find it upsetting when I see more and more of them popping up.

No offence...but you shove your atheism down our throats far more than any religious people i know talk about their beliefs. It's all a little tired and sad if honest. Believe...don't believe....but just because you don't believe doesn't make you a better person. If I'm honest...you come across far worse than most religious people I know.

Being non-religious I don?t get offended.  I do have to take you to task on this tho as I never ?throw it down anyone?s throat?.  I discuss it and rip it apart as it deserves both.  I don?t have a moral high ground badge,  I don?t make other people believe what I do, I just want to make them feel guilty for 99.9% of all the world?s atrocities.  I want them to feel ridiculous as they deserve to feel ridiculous.

Its also a good mnemonic for learning the position of the baulk colurs in snooker....

GREEN (god) BROWN (bless) YELLOW (you)

I've never heard this before, automatically makes this thread worthwhile as I always struggle with them!

Religion is daft and should be ridiculed at every opportunity.

Think about how stupid it is, just for a few seconds. I honestly wonder if religious people genuinely believe in the lies that are claimed in their respective holy books, or if they simply go with the flow and refuse to challenge the books on an intellectual level.

I guess religious belief is determined by where you were born and who your parents are.

Obviously people can make their own minds up later in life, but location and parents are the two major factors. It's a vicious cycle which I believe can only be stopped by education.

Even when you sneeze, people say "God Bless you", why oh why?

It was said in yesteryear because it was one of the first signs of having the plague. It's clearly stuck through time. I don't particularly like phrases that have the word in it but we have to get over the fact that whether people practice religion, or even beleive in it we live in a Christian society.

Jeremy beagle

Being non-religious I don?t get offended. I do have to take you to task on this tho as I never ?throw it down anyone?s throat?. I discuss it and rip it apart as it deserves both. I don?t have a moral high ground badge, I don?t make other people believe what I do, I just want to make them feel guilty for 99.9% of all the world?s atrocities. I want them to feel ridiculous as they deserve to feel ridiculous.

A horrible response like this is what I expected. As I said before believe...don't believe. But what right do you have to make them "feel ridiculous". Let people believe what they want, if it gives them peace in their lives.

Ah another Christian basing thread. They seem to appear at regular intervals. I stopped contributing to these threads. This will be my only contribution on this one but I felt I had to say I find it upsetting when I see more and more of them popping up.

They do seem to pop up every now and again, mostly i've found after, or not long after, a terror attack in the name of Islam, where people try to condemn all religions as having extremists.

A horrible response like this is what I expected. As I said before believe...don't believe. But what right do you have to make them "feel ridiculous". Let people believe what they want, if it gives them peace in their lives.

They should feel ridiculous.  If I came into a room and said I seen a flying dragon and it is has told me to worship it and do whatever it said i'd be carted off to the effing looney bin!!!

Hallelujah, someone finally gets it. I8 is more a fundamentalist than anyone I have ever come across, a true anti-religious zealot. I will never apologise for believing in Jesus but would never argue that anyone who doesn't believe is less or more than me.

Say What Again

Stephen Fry was interviewed by Gay Byrne a while ago and totally let rip into the concept of a God or any form of some governing celectial being (if that's the right phrase). Trying to find it on you tube just now but not having much success so if anyone could put it up, many thanks. He does rip the whole God thing to bits.

Religion and Peace don't go hand in hand. Btw i think it's quite right to ridicule someone for believing something that evidently doesn't exist, or at least try and teach them the error of their ways.

For one  reason and another as a youngster I attended churches. As an adult I don't. My only interest in religion now is that on occasion you hear those who do believe talking about an after life where you reunite with those you love who have passed.  This my heart finds an attractive conclusion to life.  Conversely my head tells me that death despite religions belief reverts back to the state I was in billions of years before I was born, I was totally non existent.  I have reached an age now where I will be glad of the rest. The travails of the aches and pains, the conciousness of getting old, the loss of abilities contained therein, the changes in lifestyle, that are not all good, it sometimes just feels if there is a God its a funny way to run a raffle.

Jeremy beagle

They should feel ridiculous. If I came into a room and said I seen a flying dragon and it is has told me to worship it and do whatever it said i'd be carted off to the effing looney bin!!!

You really come across as thoroughly unpleasant person. I'd much rather have a beer with a religious follower, than sit and listen to you talk about people in such a negative way.

It's just a bunch of words these days, the OP taking offence at a guy wishing him well only shows one person in a bad light (and you can't say you weren't offended - if your sensibilities weren't offended, you wouldn't have had anything to be angry about!)

Goodbye is derived from God be with ye, should we be getting humpty with people for saying that too?

By looking down you assume to take the higher ground.

Yes.  not moral higher ground tho.

Just like I look down on people that watch X Factor.

You really come across as thoroughly unpleasant person. I'd much rather have a beer with a religious follower, than sit and listen to you talk about people in such a negative way.

Au contraire.

I have never been in trouble with the law, never harmed anyone, I keep to myself.  I work hard and pay my taxes.  I love animals and respect life.  I am kind and have a good heart.

I utterly DESPISE religion tho, do not suffer fools gladly, I am an atheist, a Tory, a Capitalist and I hate progressive thinking neo liberal bullshit. 

Hope the last part doesn?t make me too bad a human being in your eyes.

Au contraire.

I have never been in trouble with the law, never harmed anyone, I keep to myself.  I work hard and pay my taxes.  I love animals and respect life.  I am kind and have a good heart.

I utterly DESPISE religion tho, do not suffer fools gladly, I am an atheist, a Tory, a Capitalist and I hate progressive thinking neo liberal bullshit. 

Hope the last part doesn?t make me too bad a human being in your eyes.

Nowt wrong with all that.

Jeremy beagle

Au contraire.

I have never been in trouble with the law, never harmed anyone, I keep to myself. I work hard and pay my taxes. I love animals and respect life. I am kind and have a good heart.

Hope the last part doesn?t make me too bad a human being in your eyes.[/font

Hey each to their own. I believe in much of what you do...but your hatred of religion and religious people is very odds behaviour.

Must've made you feel tremendous after being a smart arse to someone who is clearly down in life's gutter.

Did it cross your mind to say something nicer to him, you know, just in case?

Au contraire.

I have never been in trouble with the law, never harmed anyone, I keep to myself. I work hard and pay my taxes. I love animals and respect life. I am kind and have a good heart.

Hope the last part doesn?t make me too bad a human being in your eyes.[/font

Hey each to their own. I believe in much of what you do...but your hatred of religion and religious people is very odds behaviour.

Not really religious people to be fair just religion.  I genuinely would not have so much hatred if I wasn't threatened so much by it.  I do not pick on Buddhism or Hinduism etc not that I don't think it is any less bullshit and give them more credence but they pose zero threat to me,  it keeps to itself and it is just not an issue.  The big 3 mono theistic religions are the threat to humanity.  Not even an exaggeration. these religions are poison. Pure poison.

Must've made you feel tremendous after being a smart arse to someone who is clearly down in life's gutter.

Did it cross your mind to say something nicer to him, you know, just in case?

He wasn't "down in life's gutter" he was having a laugh with his fellow drunks.  He looked pretty happy.  Happier than me infact who was getting soaked on his way to work.

He wasn't "down in life's gutter" he was having a laugh with his fellow drunks.  He looked pretty happy.  Happier than me infact who was getting soaked on his way to work.

:lol:

I passed a homeless person this morning and he said "spare some change" to which I replied "no". He then says "OK, God Bless you" to which I replied "I hope not".  It got me thinking, do people think that it actually makes someone sound like a nice person by saying it? What do they think it actually means?  Are we supposed to be impressed that someone believes in God or has some kind of personal relationship with him that they are in some kind of VIP room area with him where he speaks to them personally?

Even when you sneeze,  people say "God Bless you", why oh why?  I see US presidents end every speech with it as if it is some kind of mandatory sign off. It is such a sad indictment of our world where people use their irrational beliefs as some kind of 'badge of niceness'.  

I don't get offended by it as nothing offends me,  but it really gets me angry when I see people spout this inane pish as though it commands some kind of respect.  I look down on anyone who believes in God - I really do.

That's generally what most people would call being offended.  I don't have an OED handy but most of the online dictionaries define "offend" as "to make someone upset or angry" or "to annoy, irritate, or anger."  

"God bless you" is, if the word "God" really gets your knickers in a twist, simply a wish for good fortune for you.  To get angry about that (that is to say, to be offended by it) seems really childish.

Archived