What are your thoughts on the squad?

i8hibsh

alicante jambo

Buaben is tied up until 2018.

:sob: :sob: :sob:

now thats scary.He offers nothing in our team.Far far too slow at realising anything round about him.Slows the play down far too much.

Seymour M Hersh

I posted this on another thread, but I would like to gauge other Jambos opinions.  I get zero satisfaction in any player being in any other group bar "SPL quality" but here are my ratings

SPL Quality - best we have

Sow (but ffs as a striker)

Juanma

Walker

Nicholson

Pallardo

Gomis

Bauben

Paterson

Potential to be

King

El Hass

McGhee

Augustyn

so so

Alexander

Swanson

Anderson

Oh my ********* word

Oshaniwa

Ozturk

Rossi

Hamilton

McKirdy

Henderson

Smith

Ffs go and find another hobby and gies all peace.

I think its a cracking squad and I'm really looking forward to watching them progress together and getting some Silverware in the cabinet.

Hope you are right.

The LC and/or SC would be very nice indeed.

Tynecastle Valhalla

We have a good squad with strength on most areas

Manager needs to be more attacking and shore up defence

And play players in their best positions

Now Bauben is written off?

The guy may not be first choice when Gomis and Pallardo are fit but Bauben will still offer something over the season.

Not making excuses for him, but he was being played as not fully fit from the beginning of the season and that will never help when trying to clear injury.

I think people need to let the red mist disappear out their living room windae and start analysing things with clearer heads. He can be dallying on the ball but he does protect it well, he's simply a defensive player and we already have two of those of better quality.

I think he'll be more suited to sub appearances , someone to come in and shore things up when we need to during tight matches when in front.

People need to settle and see this team is finding its feet,as is the manager, no matter how infuriated we are after the last 3 matches.

You also have to ask where is the delegation at set pieces? Buaben taking free kicks ffs? There's better ball players who should be on them.

Neilson has a lot of feckin organising to get right at this moment covering plenty aspects.

I'm comfortable that everyone is the squad is deserving of a place barring, unfortunately, Anderson. 

Prince and Ozturk definitely have ability but at the moment are not performing. I'm still not convinced Prince is fully fit however. You can put Sow in that bracket too however that's mainly to do with him being played out of position.

Rossi has shown enough so far to say he's a useful addition to the squad. For Augustyn it's too soon to tell given the number of games he's played. I'd be happy giving him and Ozturk some more time to form a partnership but if things don't improve over the next 4 or 5 games the reality is we may need to look at dropping Ozturk and trying Augustyn with Rossi.

It's far to early to judge Oshaniwa for similar reasons to Augustyn.

Gomis, Pallardo, Walker, King, Nicholson, Sow and Juanma (from what I've seen of him on form) are very good players. Easily good enough for us to be challenging for Europe this season if we can get the best out of them and keep them fit.

I don't think I've seen enough of Reilly to judge him properly, especially considering he's not been played as a striker that often. I think there's a player in there though.

Paterson is inconsistent; either brilliant or poor. He still needs time to mature. Not seen enough of Beith, Henderson or Smith really, however I think McKirdy and McGhee both look like prospects. The difficulty is going to be getting them game time.

Malinga the Swinga

I posted this on another thread, but I would like to gauge other Jambos opinions.  I get zero satisfaction in any player being in any other group bar "SPL quality" but here are my ratings

Juanma

Walker

Nicholson

Pallardo

Gomis

Bauben

Paterson

Potential to be

King

El Hass

McGhee

Augustyn

so so

Alexander

Swanson

Anderson

Oh my ********* word

Oshaniwa

Ozturk

Rossi

Hamilton

McKirdy

Henderson

Smith

Do you get someone to type out your posts for you as, having read for what passes as your opionion, I can't believe you actually have the ability to use a keyboard yourself. You were already writing off this season prior to the Aberdeen game, so why not just follow through on that and give us all a rest from your constant carping and whining.

I posted this on another thread, but I would like to gauge other Jambos opinions. I get zero satisfaction in any player being in any other group bar "SPL quality" but here are my ratings

Juanma

Walker

Nicholson

Pallardo

Gomis

Bauben

Paterson

Potential to be

King

El Hass

McGhee

Augustyn

so so

Alexander

Swanson

Anderson

Oh my ********* word

Oshaniwa

Ozturk

Rossi

Hamilton

McKirdy

Henderson

Smith

Somewhere along the way you got a bit lost my friend :sob:

Augustyn deserves to be given a chance before drawing any conclusions about his ability. My early thoughts from pre-season were he looked a class act.

Oshaniwa also deserves to be given a chance before we write him off. He doesn't help himself when getting stupid red cards and by shooting his mouth off in the media, but there might be a player there.

Juanma had a great start to the season and could also be a gem although I get the impression many are getting fed up with his diving about and petulance.

Bauben is one of the most dreadful players I have had the misfortune to watch in our shirt having watched us regularly for 25 plus years....he must know where the bodies are burried to be playing....its the only reason why,surely....!?!?

Not even close Gavin...is Bauban your new target now McHattie has gone?

In terms of potential, I'm not sure I'd swap our squad for Aberdeen's. Could be horribly wrong.

I would take Shinnie, Jack and Goodwillie.

But you're right in a sense. The likes of Rooney, Hayes, Robson and Reynolds are very good SPL players, but they're getting on a bit and have no sell on value.

But you're right in a sense. The likes of Rooney, Hayes, Robson and Reynolds are very good SPL players, but they're getting on a bit and have no sell on value.

Whereas we could get a future fee for almost everyone in our squad, who will go on to bigger things.

Whereas we could get a future fee for almost everyone in our squad, who will go on to bigger things.

I'd rather have a team built to win trophies. Aberdeen have built a title challenging team. That's what I would love to see.

In a funny sort of way, that's a positive for Aberdeen in terms of sustaining a title challenge. In 05/06 you just knew that it wouldn't be long before some of our better players would attract interest from down south whereas although the current Aberdeen team play very well as a team, there are very few individuals who are likely to be the subject of big bids from down south.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Celtic put one or two bids in for dons players in January given their history of cherry-picking the better players of rival teams.  

Gomis and Buaben are half the players they can be when not played together.

Levein knew this. That is why even though Buaben had had a poor spell at Partick and Carlisle. Bringing him in would get the best out of Gomis and Gomis would bring the best out of him. Both are lost without the other.

Alexander is an experienced goalkeeper who has been solid for us. Our defence let's him down far more often than he let's the team down. What I will say is he seems to have lost that voice he had last season. I don't see him yelling instruction the same way he did for us last year.

Our defence needs time to gel. Ozturk is young and a tad naive but he needs a consistent partner as well.

Augustyn was way short of match fitness and just not ready for that Aberdeen game but up to speed he will be good for us.

Rossi for me is superb and truth be told he and Augustyn (fully fit) should probably be our central partnership in defence.

Juwon needs time to adapt. It's a whole new world for him to adjust to and given that time he will do well. Time is needed.

McKirdy. Too young and not ready. One for the future.

Nicholson needs to start games. He's capable of the brilliant and takes the pressure off Walker.

I say that because Walker now has 2 men on him at all times. He's been carrying a knock and it's showing. Bossed out the game by Aberdeen but as soon as Nicholson came on they were unable to double up on him, he got the space to shoot forced the save and from the corner we scored.

Sow is a striker. It's what he does and he does it well. Put Nicholson and Walker either side of him to feed him and drag defenders away and we have a dangerous attack.

Juanma, identical to Sow above. Leave one on the bench or play both in a 2 man attack. Nothing else will suffice.

Pallardo, Not fit and couldn't get near the fully fit Aberdeen players who played round him. Once he's up to speed he will be vital to use when it comes to breaking up attacks and keeping things simple in the midfield.

Paterson has lost his mind. Turning into a Jamie Hamill angry man. Perhaps time he was taken out of right back and utilised further forward because he doesn't have the mentality of a defender. Too rash and his own worst enemy at times. Might make a decent Vidal style defensive midfielder or a Gareth Bale style right sided attacker.

King just needs consistency. If he can do that he will be fantastic.

El Hass probably has it in him to do well but he just can't get fit.

Anderson is done.

Hamilton will probably be number 1 next season.

Swanson has all the ability. Just need to see him apply it.

Spot on  every statement. Nice summary.

How entertaining it is to read through some of the nonsense being posted here.

Put simply it is work in progress. Because of injuries it's taking longer to get a settled team on the park but it will come. We are probably ahead though on the points total so far. Forecast v actual.

CanadianJamTart

Gomis and Buaben are half the players they can be when not played together.

Levein knew this. That is why even though Buaben had had a poor spell at Partick and Carlisle. Bringing him in would get the best out of Gomis and Gomis would bring the best out of him. Both are lost without the other.

Alexander is an experienced goalkeeper who has been solid for us. Our defence let's him down far more often than he let's the team down. What I will say is he seems to have lost that voice he had last season. I don't see him yelling instruction the same way he did for us last year.

Our defence needs time to gel. Ozturk is young and a tad naive but he needs a consistent partner as well.

Augustyn was way short of match fitness and just not ready for that Aberdeen game but up to speed he will be good for us.

Rossi for me is superb and truth be told he and Augustyn (fully fit) should probably be our central partnership in defence.

Juwon needs time to adapt. It's a whole new world for him to adjust to and given that time he will do well. Time is needed.

McKirdy. Too young and not ready. One for the future.

Nicholson needs to start games. He's capable of the brilliant and takes the pressure off Walker.

I say that because Walker now has 2 men on him at all times. He's been carrying a knock and it's showing. Bossed out the game by Aberdeen but as soon as Nicholson came on they were unable to double up on him, he got the space to shoot forced the save and from the corner we scored.

Sow is a striker. It's what he does and he does it well. Put Nicholson and Walker either side of him to feed him and drag defenders away and we have a dangerous attack.

Juanma, identical to Sow above. Leave one on the bench or play both in a 2 man attack. Nothing else will suffice.

Pallardo, Not fit and couldn't get near the fully fit Aberdeen players who played round him. Once he's up to speed he will be vital to use when it comes to breaking up attacks and keeping things simple in the midfield.

Paterson has lost his mind. Turning into a Jamie Hamill angry man. Perhaps time he was taken out of right back and utilised further forward because he doesn't have the mentality of a defender. Too rash and his own worst enemy at times. Might make a decent Vidal style defensive midfielder or a Gareth Bale style right sided attacker.

King just needs consistency. If he can do that he will be fantastic.

El Hass probably has it in him to do well but he just can't get fit.

Anderson is done.

Hamilton will probably be number 1 next season.

Swanson has all the ability. Just need to see him apply it.

Fantastic summary, fully agree

To be honest, by repeating a thread like that you have simply indicated you should be removed from the gene pool.

Interesting point...

El Hass is a complete and utter donkey.

You know what you've got to do.

The difference between us and Aberdeen is that they are organised and playing as a team. Confident that this will start to happen for us soon.

I don't think we have a problem with the squad, it is easily good enough for a top 6 finish. If our group of players are managed properly we will be fine.

This could be the answer!

Cbf doing everybody but from what I can remember off the top of my head

Alexander: He's not going to win us points this season, I see a decent goalkeeper plugging a gap but nothing else

Hamilton: Has potential, need to see him the cups

Gallacher: Casper, seems far too content to sit on the fringes and collect a paycheck, need rid asap

Paterson: Bags of potential and will earn us decent money

Liam Smith: Seems highly rated

Ozturk: Good player on his day but IMO not captain material and an unfair burden to be given

Rossi: Seems like a solid CB and can actually win balls in the air

Augustyn: Adds experiance, hopefully can go on to have an injury free season

Mcghee: Needs game time in the cups

Oshinawa: I rate him, his sending off was retarded but thats not a testament to his ability, he seems composed and confident going forward

Pallardo: Our best CM by a mile.

Gomis: Does a good job, but seems like a slighly worse Pallardo 

Buaban: I think he's being played out of position and is suffering from a lack of competition 

Mckirdy: Not ready yet but close

Anderson: Gone and we do not know why

Walker: Very influential player and arguably our best player

Nicholson: Incredibly skillful and seems like a nightmare for defenders to cope with

King: Seems very talented and makes a big impact whenever he comes on

Swanson: Not seen enough yet

El Hass: Needs to sort his injuries out, but fear regardless of his ability we are never going to see it

Sow: When played as a CF does well and we see a very talented player

Juanma: Really reminds of a diego costa, just in how he plays albeit at a lower level. Must get better service for us to see the best of him (I think hes capable of pulling something out of his hat consistently but it seems like we are relying on this at present)  

Reilly: Will come good

My two cents anyway

Gomis isn't lost without Buaben, however there is definitely an argument that Buaben is without Gomis.

Alexander will win us points this season. He's capable of stunning saves, he made one against ICT from a corner. The problem is, a bit like with Jamie MacDonald, he's going to cost us points as well. He doesn't dominate his area and when you have a inexperienced and off form defence, you need a 'keeper who is going to take everything within 8-10 yards of the goal line.

Unfortunately, Alexander has never been and never will be that sort of 'keeper, so we'd better hope our defence gels soon.

Paterson's issue isn't that he doesn't have the mentality to be a defender, he just needs told to calm down and shut up in no uncertain terms or he'll be getting dropped. He has a few excellent games, and h was excellent for us at the start of the season BTW, and then it goes to his head. Still potentially an outstanding right back.

Jambof3tornado

I really would like to see Paterson tried again at right midfield.

I know we are screaming for King and Nicholson to play more but Paterson would give you a more attacking/defensive balance on the right while BK or SN are more attacking in their style.

The problem is who goes to RB? I think CP in front of a solid RB would make that side of the park really hard to compete against.

I'd be introducing Liam Smith into the RB role over the next 6 months.

We cant expect to hold on to CP long term as he is possibly our best saleable asset along with Jamie.

Luscious Laryea

Cbf doing everybody but from what I can remember off the top of my head

Alexander: He's not going to win us points this season, I see a decent goalkeeper plugging a gap but nothing else

Hamilton: Has potential, need to see him the cups

Gallacher: Casper, seems far too content to sit on the fringes and collect a paycheck, need rid asap

Paterson: Bags of potential and will earn us decent money

Liam Smith: Seems highly rated

Ozturk: Good player on his day but IMO not captain material and an unfair burden to be given

Rossi: Seems like a solid CB and can actually win balls in the air

Augustyn: Adds experiance, hopefully can go on to have an injury free season

Mcghee: Needs game time in the cups

Oshinawa: I rate him, his sending off was retarded but thats not a testament to his ability, he seems composed and confident going forward

Pallardo: Our best CM by a mile.

Gomis: Does a good job, but seems like a slighly worse Pallardo 

Buaban: I think he's being played out of position and is suffering from a lack of competition 

Mckirdy: Not ready yet but close

Anderson: Gone and we do not know why

Walker: Very influential player and arguably our best player

Nicholson: Incredibly skillful and seems like a nightmare for defenders to cope with

King: Seems very talented and makes a big impact whenever he comes on

Swanson: Not seen enough yet

El Hass: Needs to sort his injuries out, but fear regardless of his ability we are never going to see it

Sow: When played as a CF does well and we see a very talented player

Juanma: Really reminds of a diego costa, just in how he plays albeit at a lower level. Must get better service for us to see the best of him (I think hes capable of pulling something out of his hat consistently but it seems like we are relying on this at present)  

Reilly: Will come good

My two cents anyway

FINALLY someone posts something reasonable on this thread.  Rossi is the surprising one, expected him to be a complete squad player when he came in but easily been our best centre-back this season when he's played there.

Goalkeepers - Alexander is decent but starting to show signs of being past it and ready to hang up the boots. Probably his last season and we should have signed a first choice keeper allowing him to focus on coaching.

- Hamilton and Gallagher to be aren't going to make it at first team level at Hearts and look dodgy when called upon

Defence - Poorest defence we have had in a while. Lack of leadership and no-one commanding enough. Ozturk hasn't become a bad player overnight he just needs a settled CB partner and one that is not Augustyn who looks poor so far. Maybe Rossi?

- Full backs are poor defensively, Paterson has great ability however more effective going forward than defending, as per last season. Oshaniwa hasn't impressed me yet however hopefully will settle soon. Rossi looks quite a good find.

- Again we look light in this area. If we are not willing to call upon Jordan when we are short then why did we not sell him on and sign someone else? Another Defender required IMO

Midfield - We potentially have a great midfield that can boss games its just a shame we haven't seen them all fit and playing together as of yet. Pallardo, Gomis and Buaben are all good players at this level and I am hoping we will soon be able to select from all fully fit CM's.   

- Swanson is a good addition, looked bright against ICT with some nice runs forward and he may be ideal in the more attacking role of CM.

- Walker should be used as a winger if possible, we are blessed that we have Walker, Nicholson and King in this squad. All 3 are great players and can bring exciting attacking play. We should be making the most of these guys while we have them, not on the bench.

- I understand we are trying to sign Djoum which can do no harm for some competition as Mckirdy is miles off first team football at the moment but has good potential from what I have seen. If we get Djoum, no more midfielders needed.

Strikers - Sow and Juanma are both up there with some of the best strikers in this league yet we insist on playing them out of position and not both together or just 1 up front. This is causing major problems throughout the front 3/4 and Robbie needs to find a solution fast.

- Reilly hasn't looked up to much so far but lets be fair on the lad. Give him 4/5 games up front with a partner and lets see how he does - not right midfield!

- I'm eager for El Hass to return, I thought he looked pretty good towards the end of last season and its a shame we haven't had a chance to see him fully fit.

- Don't think there is a desperate need for another striker just purely to start playing them in the correct positions.

Overall we have a good squad, been unlucky with injuries and could do with almost a player in each category to boost the squad as well getting players fully fit. I thought the international break would have given us the chance to do this but we have looked worse since.

Buaben and Gomis are not SPL quality

Gomis has been a superb signing for us and is needed in this team. Buaben hasn't been himself lately but is still a good player. He has just been a bit off the boil recently the same as half the team!

I think they will adapt and I am more than happy with the squad as it is.

We have played 9 SPL teams this season and beaten six of them

How that implies that we are somehow lacking with most of our players is frankly beyond me.

Remember this is our first season back, our players will adapt to the MUCH higher standard ( as they have already done) and remember that Sevco were taken to bits by St Johnstone.

Anyone who thought we could go up a division  and lay waste to it without a glitch was a bit mental.

And remember Sevco have slaughtered everyone in the division below - they lost because they believed their own hype, and recovered too late to do anything about it.

That is what happened to us at Hamilton and ICT.

Improved focus and concentration required and management decisions should reflect our new reality of being against better teams and we should be fine.

Don't think there is anyone in the team not up to SPL- they just need to up their game appropriately to reflect the standard of the opposition

Archived