Norm

doctor jambo

I am financially incontinent

This coupled with being self employed leads to all kinds of problems

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kicking foxes to death...

(On a non-vulpine note, and regarding Bob Sharp's post, nothing Bob stated in his post suggested "cowardice" on his part. Maybe he is referring to something else that recently happened in his life, though, and I'm definitely not wanting to pry into that if so.)

Thanks for your interest, no nothing else, probably a bad use of a word.  The things I referred to in the post I felt I had not handled well.  In writing I was thinking how tough I had been when dealing with the misfortunes of others, but when I had faced what I see as a major for anyone loss I have not handled it really well, mainly internally.  I suppose weakness would have been better  in a way, I don't really know the word I need, and I guess the worst thing I could call myself was a coward.

Auld Reekin'

Kicking foxes to death...

(On a non-vulpine note, and regarding Bob Sharp's post, nothing Bob stated in his post suggested "cowardice" on his part. Maybe he is referring to something else that recently happened in his life, though, and I'm definitely not wanting to pry into that if so.)

Thanks for your interest, no nothing else, probably a bad use of a word.  The things I referred to in the post I felt I had not handled well.  In writing I was thinking how tough I had been when dealing with the misfortunes of others, but when I had faced what I see as a major for anyone loss I have not handled it really well, mainly internally.  I suppose weakness would have been better  in a way, I don't really know the word I need, and I guess the worst thing I could call myself was a coward.

I wouldn't regard it as either cowardice or weakness, Bob: I think it's just part of being human, and a better-rounded one than those who are unable to feel empathy at all, at that. You've got a good few years on me, as far as I know, but I know my emotions have come closer to the surface as I've got older, suffered the inevitable bereavements, and become more and more aware of my own mortality and that of those close to me.

I get really resentful against anything that I'm told I should like.

For example if there is a new film out and everyone raves about how I should see it as it's amazing the less I want to see it. I've missed a lot of good things because of this over the years and invariably I'll eventually see them when they turn up on television or online and enjoy them.

Riddley Walker

:sob:

This thread

Although most of the emotion-free sociopaths on this thread won't get where I'm coming from  :dry:

Although most of the emotion-free sociopaths on this thread won't get where I'm coming from :dry:

Criminal Minds is very popular, i see. :)

Placid Casual

Over the last few years, my attention span has been getting shorter and shorter.

Any (sensible) ideas to address this are welcome!

For example if there is a new film out and everyone raves about how I should see it as it's amazing the less I want to see it. I've missed a lot of good things because of this over the years and invariably I'll eventually see them when they turn up on television or online and enjoy them.

I hate when folk go out of their way to avoid something or not be part of something that they would probably enjoy because they think it makes them cool and different. Not having a dig at you here but i just hate that in general.

Fitzroy Pointon

I get this.  This is the reason why I have never been to T in the Park.  

I hate when folk go out of their way to avoid something or not be part of something that they would probably enjoy because they think it makes them cool and different. Not having a dig at you here but i just hate that in general.

With me, it's not about being cool because I am far from it.  I don't know what it is, I just tend to avoid popular culture.  For example, when everyone was going through the Krispy Kreme phase, I made a note to avoid it simply for the fact that I would be embarrassed by someone going "oh were you at Krispy Kreme, how nice is it".  Don't ask me why, I'm just weird.  

I get this. This is the reason why I have never been to T in the Park.

With me, it's not about being cool because I am far from it. I don't know what it is, I just tend to avoid popular culture. For example, when everyone was going through the Krispy Kreme phase, I made a note to avoid it simply for the fact that I would be embarrassed by someone going "oh were you at Krispy Kreme, how nice is it". Don't ask me why, I'm just weird.

I get what you are saying and i'm a bit like that to a certain extent as i won't pretend to like anything i don't to fit in with any crowd but it's people who don't do things they would actually enjoy because everyone else has done it that annoys me.

Don't know maybe i'm just talking shite but i know what i mean :lol:

Eating too much sugary food and being terrible at saving money.

I exercise a lot but still have a bit of a belly due to bad food habits.

I'm getting better at looking after my cash but I still have too many **** it moments when invited in a night out or if I want something.

It's the reason I'm not on the property ladder.

Jesus, that could genuinely have been me that typed that.

AndyJack1874

Locking my front door.

I have to film myself locking the front door as when I'm far away enough from the flat, I start getting extremely paranoid that I haven't locked it (even though I know I have) and it gives me that horrible feeling in my stomach.

Maple Leaf

I have found that I was reasonably immune to emotions when I was younger. I suppose dealing with tragedy does that to you. I am no longer that way, not for everything but when I hear or read about someone losing a child it really gets me. When I see some poor kid smiling on TV and the story is about them being in a cancer ward with terminal cancer, I just bleed for them.  I always thought I had a very realistic view on death, when its over its over, for myself I am fine with that, but when I look at pictures of a beautiful vibrant everything to live for young woman who just no longer exists I find that really hard to accept,  it is difficult to believe that light has just been put out, I think this is what has mainly increased my empathy and sorrow for others.  The worst thing about it all is I always saw myself as strong, for the first time in my life I have faced cowardice and am not at all proud of it.

I know exactly what you mean, because you and I have had a similar event in our lives.  I used to makes jokes about death, but no longer.

It's nothing to do with cowardice.  It's called being human.

Psoraisis and Shite Eyesight along with being devilishly handsome.

Woe is me.

It is remembering peoples names after they have introduced themselves that is my downfall. I think I have taken it in at the time but give me five minutes and it is gone. I will often meet someone again weeks later and they will greet me by my first name but embarrassingly I will have forgotten theirs. It is not old age has been a problem all my life. It could be getting worse however.

I used to have the same problem.

When being introduced to someone and told their name, repeat their name out loud as shaking their hand or acknowledging them.

If you say their name out loud it goes into your mind and stays there.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I used to have the same problem.

When being introduced to someone and told their name, repeat their name out loud as shaking their hand or acknowledging them.

If you say their name out loud it goes into your mind and stays there.

Thanks I'll try that next time. Martoon, Martoon, Martoon. Got that :2thumbsup:

Ron Burgundy

Woe is me.

By your own admission you're good looking with a cracking body.

Say What Again

Jesus, that could genuinely have been me that typed that.

Take out the exercise and it could be me too

Say What Again

I have to film myself locking the front door as when I'm far away enough from the flat, I start getting extremely paranoid that I haven't locked it (even though I know I have) .

That's the craziest yet :thumb:

Woe is me.

These two are linked.

Arnold Rothstein

Locking my front door.

I have to film myself locking the front door as when I'm far away enough from the flat, I start getting extremely paranoid that I haven't locked it (even though I know I have) and it gives me that horrible feeling in my stomach.

I'm going to do this from now on. I waste so much time returning to check i've turned the iron off/locked the car etc etc etc. Drives me mad.

skinnybob72

I despise things being squint. I go round the house with a spirit level making sure that pictures and clocks are perfectly level.

Also boils my piss when someone puts a knife, fork or spoon in the wrong bit of the cutlery drawer.

The missus likes to tell me I have OCD.

Thanks I'll try that next time. Martoon, Martoon, Martoon. Got that :2thumbsup:

?

AndyJack1874

That's the craziest yet :thumb:

Tbh, it's only when the missus is at work & I'm on a day off and need to go out I have to do it.

The fear I get as the bus pulls away is just horrible and I spend however long I'm out, paranoid as **** I haven't locked it only to find each time I return I have indeed locked it.

Tbh, it's only when the missus is at work & I'm on a day off and need to go out I have to do it.

The fear I get as the bus pulls away is just horrible and I spend however long I'm out, paranoid as **** I haven't locked it only to find each time I return I have indeed locked it.

Have you discussed this with a GP, Andy?

If not, do so, bud.

Most anxieties can be easily treated and alleviated with mild medication. The only difference you'll be aware of is the improvement.

super_vlad

24 on the hare checklist, pretty much every day someone says something to me that makes me want to rip their head off! Not that I ever say anything about it but thats not normal right?

Craig Gordons Gloves

I'm a world class procrastinator. I have tons to do sometimes and put it all off until the last possible minute. It always works out and I produce good work (so I'm told) but I often wonder what I could do if I actually put my mind to it.

Btw, it was my boss that told me I'm a world class procrastinator so I'm not going to get fired anytime soon. I think.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I have found that I was reasonably immune to emotions when I was younger. I suppose dealing with tragedy does that to you. I am no longer that way, not for everything but when I hear or read about someone losing a child it really gets me. When I see some poor kid smiling on TV and the story is about them being in a cancer ward with terminal cancer, I just bleed for them. I always thought I had a very realistic view on death, when its over its over, for myself I am fine with that, but when I look at pictures of a beautiful vibrant everything to live for young woman who just no longer exists I find that really hard to accept, it is difficult to believe that light has just been put out, I think this is what has mainly increased my empathy and sorrow for others. The worst thing about it all is I always saw myself as strong, for the first time in my life I have faced cowardice and am not at all proud of it.

You know Bob, you post some incredible stuff on here. I hope when I retire that I have a similar outlook on life as you do. Chapeau.

Occasional bouts of anxiety (attacks?). Only last 30 seconds or so, but for that time I'm 100% convinced I'm about to die. It's ******* brutal. However, once it's over, it's like nothing happened.

I'm an angry, angry man :( I have a very short fuse and I struggle to just 'chill' and let things go. Wish I could just have a much more peaceful and relaxed attitude to life!

I'm the opposite. Nothing really bothers me and I don't get stressed easily. Which me looks like an aloof and arrogant ******* when something stressful happens to someone else. I just don't get the fuss as I always think there's a solution that's not really worth worrying about too much.

Although I don't have much time for stupid people so I actually am a bit arrogant (I should clarify that I'm not equating stupidity with anger).

JudyJudyJudy

Some enlightening posts on this. In particular  the guys ( im assuming ) who dont seem able to empathise with others or are unable  to speak about their feelings. Thats not a big surprise. The biggest group of suicides are heterosexual males , who usually commit suicide due to a variety of reasons,  however mainly  due to bottling up their feelings and not speaking about how they feel and seeking some type of therapuetic input. I hang around with a few straight lads and i definitely can see how this can be an issue. Often they may talk briefly about their emotions, or  relationship issues or whatever is troubling them but then its quickly back to  " footie banter" or other stuff ( nowt wrong with that ofcourse).  But i do find it a shame that guys in particular ( and it is mainly straight guys from all the research) cant speak freely about their feelings. It is good to talk ! I know a cliche. But how else are others going to know if any of their friends are going through a hard time ? As ive said to some of my mates im not a mind reader ! 

On a more light hearted note. I have a obsession about leaving the iron, cooking, frying pan etc on when i leave my house and tend to go back to check a few times ! I also still cant say the word " three" but its seen as " cute" when i try and pronounce it. 

Maroonblood22

I'm the opposite. Nothing really bothers me and I don't get stressed easily. Which me looks like an aloof and arrogant ******* when something stressful happens to someone else. I just don't get the fuss as I always think there's a solution that's not really worth worrying about too much.

Although I don't have much time for stupid people so I actually am a bit arrogant (I should clarify that I'm not equating stupidity with anger).

DID YOU JUST CALL ME ******* STUPID?!!! :lol:

Man I wish I could be like that, I used to be really carefree and not much got to me, probably no coincidence that this started going downhill after I met my mrs! I stopped training as well so maybe that's a big factor, I feel like I have no release for some of the anger I feel. I'm sounding like a complete psycho here but I'm not, honest! I just let things wind me up, like if I'm on a night out and some boy barges in to me then his card is marked for the rest of the night and I sit there with a face like shite waiting for him to do it again :lol:

I can't piss in front of anyone. If I go to a public toilet I must use the cubical, as the piss just won't come out standing at a urinal with other folk around. Sometimes even in an empty toilet, the thought of someone walking in stops me from pissing even thought I want to so bad and really don't care if someone was standing next to me or not. My mind/ body just won't let me. can be a real pain in the arse if on a night out when using the toilet frequently or at the football...

Sometimes even the noises of folk on the other side of the cubical door put me off and stop me or knowing someone is waiting to go in after me.

wierd as I really have no problem doing it in front of anyone my mind just won't let me

PsychocAndy

I hate being hugged by people, wife,kids, mum and siblings I'll put up with, but the whole shake hands and hug thing I'm not a fan of. I blame Sons of Anarchy for this trend.

If you have the same name as a member of my family, I'll instantly forget your name.

I am genuinely shocked when people know me when I'm out without my dug.

I will stop and speak to any old girlfriend, that used to pish off the Mrs, because I'm really thankful that they let me have sex with them. After my accident, I got out of hospital a bit broken, aye the pain was quite bad, but the thought of being 20 and never getting my end away again was at the forefront of everything. Women are great at overlooking the obvious when judging a bloke.

I am stubborn when I know I'm right and will not deviate from that, until proven with fact or my own eyes, and then I feel a total dick after

PsychocAndy

I can't piss in front of anyone. If I go to a public toilet I must use the cubical, as the piss just won't come out standing at a urinal with other folk around. Sometimes even in an empty toilet, the thought of someone walking in stops me from pissing even thought I want to so bad and really don't care if someone was standing next to me or not. My mind/ body just won't let me. can be a real pain in the arse if on a night out when using the toilet frequently or at the football...

Sometimes even the noises of folk on the other side of the cubical door put me off and stop me or knowing someone is waiting to go in after me.

wierd as I really have no problem doing it in front of anyone my mind just won't let me

If that is just stage fright then it's ok but if that happens all the time get to your Doctor.

Fitzroy Pointon

Man I wish I could be like that, I used to be really carefree and not much got to me, probably no coincidence that this started going downhill after I met my mrs! I stopped training as well so maybe that's a big factor, I feel like I have no release for some of the anger I feel. I'm sounding like a complete psycho here but I'm not, honest! I just let things wind me up, like if I'm on a night out and some boy barges in to me then his card is marked for the rest of the night and I sit there with a face like shite waiting for him to do it again :lol:

For talking's sake, what would you do if he did it again? 

If that is just stage fright then it's ok but if that happens all the time get to your Doctor.

happens all the time kinda just learnt to live with it and have a laugh about it with pals if on a night out when I'm the ***** waiting on the cubical cos I canny piss lol. didn't think there was anything you could do about it?

For talking's sake, what would you do if he did it again? 

I'm picturing this:

tumblr_mkhk5j7Sfn1s2v6t7o1_500.gif

SpikeDudley

It is remembering peoples names after they have introduced themselves that is my downfall. I think I have taken it in at the time but give me five minutes and it is gone. I will often meet someone again weeks later and they will greet me by my first name but embarrassingly I will have forgotten theirs. It is not old age has been a problem all my life. It could be getting worse however.

I do this too. Names never stick in my head at first.

Fitzroy Pointon

I'm picturing this:

:rofl:

I was thinking of that scene in Scarface when Tony is sitting in the club just staring and that high pitched music is playing. That's maroonblood just waiting for that guy to bump into him again. 

AndyJack1874

This is another one of mines, I force myself to try and piss at a urinal but not even a drop will come out yet in a cubicle it's flows nae bother.

I'm a ****ing crackpot like.

Maroonblood22

I'm picturing this:

:rofl:

I was thinking of that scene in Scarface when Tony is sitting in the club just staring and that high pitched music is playing. That's maroonblood just waiting for that guy to bump into him again. 

:rofl: Haha! That's about right! I wish I could chill but it just doesn't happen for me anymore. I'm like that character off chewin' the fat when he can't get the wee end of the sellotape and just destroys the place :lol: 

Craig Gordons Gloves

I think we should all start frequenting the pubs and clubs that Maroonblood goes to and take it in turns to bump into him. Never more than once though. Just to see the seethe levels rise and rise.

The last part of your post, that is complete w@nk behaviour, i hate folk who are edgy as **** on a night out just waiting for an opportunity to skelp someone. Weirdos.

Fitzroy Pointon

The last part of your post, that is complete w@nk behaviour, i hate folk who are edgy as **** on a night out just waiting for an opportunity to skelp someone. Weirdos.

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

rudi must stay

I went through many years of being too nice and being too generous, I only realised that a few years ago and now I am starting to get better at standing my ground with people. The downside of that is I have less friends though

Auld Reekin'

Reminds me of the Sean Hughes gag about introducing a drinking-licence, similar to a driving-licence, that could be revoked or suspended or taken-away entirely, depending on the severity of the offence committed. It was only a joke, of course, but it would actually have some merit! (The main problem with this, of course, is that I would've been suspended from drinking on numerous occasions, not for getting into drunken scraps with folk, but for being a complete and utter feckin' ersehole whilst "under the influence"...  :ermm:  :facepalm: )

Archived