Aliens

Jamboman1512

maroonlegions

The world "could" is important here, but still a very informative and credible  study on the surface of Saturn's moon Titan.

NASA have a short list of other possible 

Titan was already on NASA's shortlist of places in our solar system that could support life. 

Let's go there already.
MIC.COM|BY MIC

QUOTE;
This new research, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, focused on Titan's atmosphere. 

Polymorphism and electronic structure of polyimine and its potential significance for prebiotic chemistry on Titan;

"Titan is the only place in the solar system, except Earth, where rainfall and seasonally flowing liquids erode the landscape. Whereas the surface pressure is similar to that of Earth, the temperature is extremely low and the dominant liquids are methane and ethane.

This makes Titan a test case for exploring the environmental limits of prebiotic chemistry and addressing the question of whether life can develop without water.

Experimental and observational data suggest that hydrogen cyanide, the most abundant hydrogen-bonding molecule in Titan?s atmosphere, may polymerize on the surface to polyimine.

Using quantum mechanical calculations, we show that polyimine has interesting electronic and structural properties that could potentially facilitate prebiotic chemistry under cryogenic conditions akin to those on Titan".

link;

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers legions. I still think Europa is where we'll find it but Titan is a decent possibility too. Hell, I'm not even ruling out Mars for some kind of bacterial life form but I think if we're going to find anything more complex then Europa and Titan are our best bets.

We might not agree on alien life visiting us but I'm right behind you on stuff like this.

Could be some exciting news on Monday. In our lifetime legions. Guaranteed.

Is there LIFE on Europa? NASA to announce major news in emergency press conference

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/712852/LIFE-on-Europa-NASA-alien-jupiter

Maybe this major news is somebody is going to let the cat out the bag about how you can access the Boxee Box source to let you play the stuff on your thumb drive as mp4 system won't play on the telly I have.It absolutely Baffles me, an  effing hint will do.

maroonlegions

Cheers legions. I still think Europa is where we'll find it but Titan is a decent possibility too. Hell, I'm not even ruling out Mars for some kind of bacterial life form but I think if we're going to find anything more complex then Europa and Titan are our best bets.

We might not agree on alien life visiting us but I'm right behind you on stuff like this.

Cheers for the feed back yes i agree Europa is indeed a very plausible place for possible life outside earth.

If indeed life in any state is discovered  then i think it bodes well for other life forms on other  complex systems on other moons and planets.

The other thing i think is relevant and that  is there life out there that can exist independent of what we consider as the building blocks necessary  for life on earth?? 

Remember NASA confirming that bacterial forms could exist in arsenic, game changer i feel.

It begs the question  then what of other harsh conditions on other environments on other moons and planets can life survive and exist  and how far have they evolved??

Hopefully there will be missions to Europa in our life time and life is confirmed. 

There's no point contemplating what could exist outwith our knowledge as it's one of those unknown unknowns. We do however know that water is hugely beneficial to life existing. It's only right that we concentrate our efforts there.

I think life on other planets is absolute fact.

So far, astronomers have found more than 500 solar systems and are discovering new ones every year. Given how many they have found in our own neighborhood of the Milky Way galaxy, scientists estimate that there may be tens of billions of solar systems in our galaxy, perhaps even as many as 100 billion.

So 100 billion galaxies each containing 100 billion solar systems and each solar system containing however many planets there has to be an almost infinite number of possibilities for life to exist somewhere other than earth.

I just wish we could see it. Like a massive cosmic zoo. I bet it's the most incredible thing imaginable.

luckyBatistuta

I think life on other planets is absolute fact.

So far, astronomers have found more than 500 solar systems and are discovering new ones every year. Given how many they have found in our own neighborhood of the Milky Way galaxy, scientists estimate that there may be tens of billions of solar systems in our galaxy, perhaps even as many as 100 billion.

So 100 billion galaxies each containing 100 billion solar systems and each solar system containing however many planets there has to be an almost infinite number of possibilities for life to exist somewhere other than earth.

I just wish we could see it. Like a massive cosmic zoo. I bet it's the most incredible thing imaginable.

If only we could figure out how to get those dilithium crystals working, we could..

Bauldly go where no man has gone before :kirk:

If only we could figure out how to get those dilithium crystals working, we could..

272035.jpg

maroonlegions

NASA has been working on the concept of a EM Drive for some time now along side other labs.

Its a matter of time before some form of warp drive becomes a reality. In our time ? who knows.

NASAs "Eagleworks" laboratories have been working on this concept and appear to have a paper peer reviewed soon. 

• ;EmDrive creates thrust by bouncing microwaves in chamber
  •  
  • ;Scientists aren't sure how this happens as it defies the laws of physics
  •  
  • ;Nasa has been investigating the drive along with other labs 
  •  
  • ;Claims paper has now been accepted for publication by a major journal.

The so-called EmDrive creates thrust by bouncing microwaves around in an enclosed chamber, and uses only solar power - and now a Nasa lab is set to reveal its findings on the technology.
DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

quote;

"It has been dubbed the  'impossible engine', that could take humans to Mars in just 10 weeks - but nobody knows how. 

The so-called EmDrive creates thrust by bouncing microwaves around in an enclosed chamber, and uses only solar power.

Many argue the concept is simply hype, suggesting the design goes against the laws of physics , and now a Nasa lab that has been studying the concept is set to publish its findings for the first time it has been claimed.

37B0F4A700000578-3764112-image-a-2_14725

355A14D200000578-0-image-a-15_1466079262

Simulated transverse magnetic modes TM20, (red high, blue low) at the wide and narrow ends of the EmDrive tapered cavity differ from each other. This implies interference of microwaves, and hence also anisotropic efflux of paired photons. The loss of momentum results in an equal and opposite reaction, i.e., thrust.

3559FF0400000578-0-image-a-20_1466079451

Above is a prototype of the "impossible" fuel free engine . This prototype  design is  set to undergo peer review.

Below is the link to their paper that that appeared in the AIP Advances .

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/adva/6/6/10.1063/1.4953807

:kirklol:  :illogical:

luckyBatistuta

NASA has been working on the concept of a EM Drive for some time now along side other labs.

Its a matter of time before some form of warp drive becomes a reality. In our time ? who knows.

NASAs "Eagleworks" laboratories have been working on this concept and appear to have a paper peer reviewed soon. 

• ;EmDrive creates thrust by bouncing microwaves in chamber
  •  
  • ;Scientists aren't sure how this happens as it defies the laws of physics
  •  
  • ;Nasa has been investigating the drive along with other labs 
  •  
  • ;Claims paper has now been accepted for publication by a major journal.

Nasa lab to publish 'impossible' fuel free EmDrive paper

The so-called EmDrive creates thrust by bouncing microwaves around in an enclosed chamber, and uses only solar power - and now a Nasa lab is set to reveal its findings on the technology.

DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

quote;

"It has been dubbed the  'impossible engine', that could take humans to Mars in just 10 weeks - but nobody knows how. 

The so-called EmDrive creates thrust by bouncing microwaves around in an enclosed chamber, and uses only solar power.

Many argue the concept is simply hype, suggesting the design goes against the laws of physics , and now a Nasa lab that has been studying the concept is set to publish its findings for the first time it has been claimed.

37B0F4A700000578-3764112-image-a-2_14725

355A14D200000578-0-image-a-15_1466079262

Simulated transverse magnetic modes TM20, (red high, blue low) at the wide and narrow ends of the EmDrive tapered cavity differ from each other. This implies interference of microwaves, and hence also anisotropic efflux of paired photons. The loss of momentum results in an equal and opposite reaction, i.e., thrust.

3559FF0400000578-0-image-a-20_1466079451

Above is a prototype of the "impossible" fuel free engine . This prototype  design is  set to undergo peer review.

Below is the link to their paper that that appeared in the AIP Advances .

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/adva/6/6/10.1063/1.4953807

:kirklol:  :illogical:

Go as fast as you want, but you better get those navigational deflector shields up, or your going to be destroyed by microscopic pieces of dust.

maroonlegions

Hopefully by the year 2020 NASA"s mission to Saturn's icy moon Europa will take off.

This moon has fascinated  NASA for a while now and seems to have possible conditions that could support some kind of life, whatever that may be.

"NASA's planned Europa mission would conduct detailed reconnaissance of Jupiter's moon Europa and investigate whether the icy moon could harbour conditions suitable for life".

http://www.nasa.gov/europa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCDjGNc-4m4

Europa-moon.jpg

The icy moon Europa in all her glory.

maroonlegions

Go as fast as you want, but you better get those navigational deflector shields up, or your going to be destroyed by microscopic pieces of dust.

Lets see what NASA comes up with, all in due course.  :scholar:

maroonlegions

Some believe that we originate from the stars, well here is a discovery that has  raised an eyebrow or two from some scientific boffins.

ROSETTA CATCHES DUSTY ORGANICS;

"Rosetta?s dust-analysing COSIMA (COmetary Secondary Ion Mass Analyser) instrument has made the first unambiguous detection of solid organic matter in the dust particles ejected by Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, in the form of complex carbon-bearing molecules.

While organics had already been detected in situ on the comet?s surface by instruments on-boardPhilae and from orbit by Rosetta?s ROSINA , those were both in the form of gases resulting from the sublimation of ices. By contrast, COSIMA has made its detections in solid dust.

Their presence was only ever hinted at in previous comet missions, which flew by their targets at high speed and, as a result, disrupted the particles, making characterisation challenging. But Rosetta is orbiting Comet 67P/C-G and can catch dust particles moving at low speed".

ESA_Rosetta_COSIMA_Kenneth_Juliette-1024

Optical image of two of the dust grains collected and analysed by COSIMA, named Kenneth and Juliette, which show the signature of carbon-based organics. They were collected in May and October 2015 respectively. Credits: ESA/Rosetta/MPS for COSIMA Team MPS/CSNSM/UNIBW/TUORLA/IWF/IAS/ESA/BUW/MPE/LPC2E/LCM/FMI/UTU/LISA/UOFC/vH&S/ Fray et al (2016)

?Our analysis reveals carbon in a far more complex form than expected,? remarked Herv? Cottin, one of the authors of the paper reporting the result that is published in Nature  today.

?It is so complex, we can?t give it a proper formula or a name!?  :ohmy:

source links;

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature19320.html

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2016/09/07/rosetta-catches-dusty-organics/

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature19320.html

maroonlegions

New data on this one.

Can be read in the very credible scientific arXiv paper at the link given.   

No Signs of Aliens Yet, But This Mysterious Star Continues to Baffle Astronomers

A NEW LEAD?

"A new report indicates that Tabby's Star is dramatically decreasing in brightness, raising more questions about the mechanism behind the fluctuations.

"In a paper posted to arXiv, Caltech astronomer Ben Montet and Joshua Simon of the Carnegie Institute revealed that the star has been getting dimmer over the course of four years." 

The pair conducted an exhaustive photo-metric analysis of the data collected by Kepler during the four years of its campaign. They found that, yes, the huge dips that left many scientists baffled and  are there in the original data, but more importantly, the star?s total light output has been dropping?dramatically?overtime.

For the first 1,000 days, Montet said Tabby?s Star?s luminosity declined by about 0.34% per year. But over the next 200 days, the star dimmed by 2% before levelling off. A total drop of 3% in a four-year period is incredibly bizarre, especially since the astronomers also looked at 500 other stars near Tabby Star, but saw none of the behaved in a similar way.

source link;  http://futurism.com/no-signs-of-aliens-yet-but-this-mysterious-star-continues-to-baffle-astronomers/

arXiv paper link;  https://arxiv.org/pdf/1608.01316v1.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
maroonlegions

Probably not new news to those following and taking an interest in NASAs current missions ,but to those not in that camp here is another Moon on their radar that has been arousing their interest in places that could possible harbour life.

MzEwMjU2NjExYSMvMkI4N0szOUtMWUNjTHgzX1VJ

Dione with Enceladus in the backgroundSource: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute;

"Scientists have spent years fussing over Enceladus and Titan. But there's another moon of Saturn with a giant ocean below its surface, and it's been chilling in the background waiting to be discovered.

"New data from the Cassini spacecraft shows Saturn's moon Dione has a vast ocean 100 kilometres below its icy crust. This discovery is important because where we find water, there's a chance we might also find life, according to NASA. So we can add Dione to the growing list of places beyond Earth that might have the right conditions for life".

The new research is published in the Geophysical Research Letters.

link; https://mic.com/articles/155718/saturn-moon-dione-underground-water-support-life#.gyPcgpAvG

JamboInSouthsea

Not sure if mentioned before but -

Our nearest neighbour Alpha/Proxima Centauri has been discovered to have a planet about 1.5x mass of Earth and in the Goldilocks zone going around it.

Although about 4 light years away it has excited scientists as it gives us something, well best chance, of sending something out there. The fact that it is also so relatively close means that we also may be actually able to see it, particularly with the advances in telescopes, the new Chinese monster being a likely candidate.

Had been meaning to post about the EM drive engine but see M Legions has beaten me to it...think that most of the peer reviews of it have found it to be plausible...which, in theory could get there far more quickly than any other propulsion mechanism.

Also, on the Europa front, I read recently, Times or New Scientist, that water jets have been observed spouting up from below the surface which goes some way to supporting the theory that liquid water exists below the surface....which I'd be surprised if didn't equal life.

maroonlegions

Not sure if mentioned before but -

Our nearest neighbour Alpha/Proxima Centauri has been discovered to have a planet about 1.5x mass of Earth and in the Goldilocks zone going around it.

Although about 4 light years away it has excited scientists as it gives us something, well best chance, of sending something out there. The fact that it is also so relatively close means that we also may be actually able to see it, particularly with the advances in telescopes, the new Chinese monster being a likely candidate.

Had been meaning to post about the EM drive engine but see M Legions has beaten me to it...think that most of the peer reviews of it have found it to be plausible...which, in theory could get there far more quickly than any other propulsion mechanism.

Also, on the Europa front, I read recently, Times or New Scientist, that water jets have been observed spouting up from below the surface which goes some way to supporting the theory that liquid water exists below the surface....which I'd be surprised if didn't equal life.

Yes i agree that this planet discovered to be orbiting in a "habitual zone" around its star in our nearest neighbour Alpha Centauri is one to keep an eye on. The EM drive is exciting in the fact that its a starting point on a technology once only regarded possible in science fiction films.

To date there have been 100s of extra planets found to orbiting in a habitual zone around their parent star. NASAs Kepler and Hubble space telescopes have been invaluable in their discoveries.  

My wifes niece who is a qualified astrophysicist is currently in South Africa and is due to start working with a new telescope being built that will be focusing its search for new radio galaxies.

Here is a articule she wrote recently below.

She has promised to keep me informed of any new discoveries or developments, i am in correspondence with her.  

She works for SKA South Africa. She receives funding from SKA South Africa. She is affiliated with SKA South Africa and the University of the Western Cape.

Post-doctoral researcher in Astrophysics, University of the Western Cape;

width170_logo-1432795466.jpg

"Most pictures of galaxies that you see, such as the beautiful images from the Hubble Space Telescope, are optical images. These are made using telescopes which detect light in the same wavelength range that our eyes see.

However, scientists can design telescopes which use different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, such as shorter-wavelength ultraviolet light or longer-wavelength infrared and radio emission.

When we use a radio telescope to look at galaxies, we find that some have pairs of giant jets extending from their centre out into space.

"Jets ? powerful, lightning fast particles ? are the beasts of the universe, far larger than anything visible in optical image. They often stretch to many millions of times the size of the galaxy itself. There is often no evidence of these jets in the optical images".

more here;

It's difficult to get jets - powerful, lightning fast particles - to give up their secrets. The new Square Kilometre Array radio telescope could hold the key to solving jets'?

• 2 weeks later...
maroonlegions

Wee heads up JamboIn Southsea about NASAs  EM Drive.

Every little helps in the search for life out there in deep space.

EMDrivePropulsion_web_1024.jpg

"The results of NASA's tests on the 'impossible' EM Drive have been leaked, and they reveal that the controversial propulsion system really does work, and is capable of generating impressive thrust in a vacuum, even after error measurements have been accounted for.

"The EM Drive has made headlines over the past year, because it offers the incredible possibility of a fuel-free propulsion system that could potentially get us to Mars in just 70 days. But there's one major problem: according to the current laws of physics, it shouldn't work".

The results of NASA's tests on the 'impossible' EM Drive have been leaked , and they reveal that the controversial propulsion system really does work, and is capable of?
SCIENCEALERT.COM|BY FIONA MACDONALD

maroonlegions

Tabbys star is still under investigation by leading astro physicists  , SETI being one of them.

China has added to the pool of scientific personnel that are still intrigued by the dimming of this star.

SETI will engage in an intensive observation of this star using their 100m SETI  radio telescope;

Impressive to note that the stars name sake is involved too.

So in short we will hopefully be getting more new data on this highly peculiar star.

Also there are independent scientific sources confirming that this star has dimmed , in short ,  a different  scientific team, different instruments but finding the same results.

Important to note that   

So its possible it will be the beginning of February before any results are known, cool, i guess science takes time , could be  aeons  but it could be  also confirmed in our life time too that we are indeed not alone. :kirk:

Below are links to those investigating this star.

UCBerkeley.edu, news, Oct. 25, 2016 - Breakthrough Listen to search for intelligent life around weird star

Nextbigfuture.com, Nov. 3, 2016 - Possible reasons for the unusual dimming of Tabby's star include super-advanced aliens

China?s Super-Telescope FAST Joins Hunt for Aliens on Tabby?s Star

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10/tabby-star-which-has-unusual-dimming.html

https://youtu.be/f5e6WniARE8

• 5 months later...

Nasa to hold major press conference with results on 'the search for life beyond Earth'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nasa-press-conference-life-beyond-earth-ocean-exploration-a7677386.html

*Insert Braveheart "HOLD!" meme here*

But seriously, while I don't expect "We've found life", this could be some exciting stuff.

According to Nasa website this will held On 13th of April at 6pm

Imagine they have found life :wow:

I have it on good authority that they have discovered a hominid type species on mars, but with goggly eyes.

They've called it the stubbo.

Archived