Reminiscences

hueyview

davemclaren

I can remember walking through the cramped crowd distribution tunnel under the school end terracing holding my dad's hand. As we walked past the toilet near the exit to the terracing I remember thinking they looked like Santa's Grotto with their whitewashed walls.

They re-opend those toilets again late 80s and I got to partially relive that memory for a final season or 2 before the terracing was demolished. Also meant I had less distance to walk to the bogs. :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fxxx the SPFL

Me too. Worked beside Murray who sadly passed away in his early fifties.

yep really nice guy I'm sure I met him at some training course think he was a civil servant.

BlackhallJambo

yep really nice guy I'm sure I met him at some training course think he was a civil servant.

Yes Ray that's right. Really decent guy

First knew him when he worked in the Prisons Department then he moved to Human Resources in Scottish Office/executive/government

punkrockcroc

I remember my first game at Easter road 1978(might have been a cup tie, not sure, I was only 12), I was only allowed to go because I told my ma and da my mates big brother ( who was 16 ) would look after us ( a complete lie of course ). The Dunbar end was packed, Hearts fans were mental in those days, the place just rained down with missiles ranging from bottles, golf balls to anything that you could put a nail into, meanwhile the pitch was being invaded by the occasional jambo. I'm sure somebody squared up to Jackie Macnamara(could be wrong though).

Going past the top of Chesser ave on the way to a match v Rangers/Celtic in late sixties early seventies and seeing nearly two hundred buses packed all the way down to Gorgie Road. Took the place over in those days. No segregation and no tickets.

avhudtheteeshirt

One big memory from the 80's was midweek at Parkhead playing in a gale, Levien took a freekick in our half hit it up field, around the half way line it slowed and came back over Levien's head towards our goal Henry Smith had to grab it to stop it going in and the referee gave Celtic a freekick for Henry handling a passback? We think now we get some weird decisions, we always got weird decisions.

MacDonald Jardine

I remember my first game at Easter road 1978(might have been a cup tie, not sure, I was only 12), I was only allowed to go because I told my ma and da my mates big brother ( who was 16 ) would look after us ( a complete lie of course ). The Dunbar end was packed, Hearts fans were mental in those days, the place just rained down with missiles ranging from bottles, golf balls to anything that you could put a nail into, meanwhile the pitch was being invaded by the occasional jambo. I'm sure somebody squared up to Jackie Macnamara(could be wrong though).

I think the squaring up to McNamara was the "Frankie says" game in 84.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Starting in the Orwell for an underage pint and a gamble on the puggy then after the game walking up Wardlaw Place and getting a Scotch Pie Supper with extra sauce from the chippy on Slateford Road.  Think it's a Chinese take-away now.

Standing right on the corner of the Shed about half way up and thinking we were the dogs.

Walking home from a game and still seeing the glow of the lights from Tynie on midweek evening games or Saturday 3pm in Dec/Jan.

Constant playing of 'Slippery when wet' album on the car stereo when my mates dad used to take us to the away games.

Being colder than it is possible to be and still be alive on a trip to Aberdeen.

Being wetter that it is possible to be and not drown during a trip to Dens.

"Henry, Henry give us a wave"

"Send your casuals over here"

"Zico! Zico!"

Neil Berry's throw ins.  JC's mazy runs.  Zicos 'tackles'.  Robbos goals!

Not washing my scarf for about 18 months as it was unlucky despite the fact it was growing an entirely new strain of penicillin (fueled by chippy sauce stains).

Going mental at my mum when she finally washed it.

The smell of the brewery. 

The metal badges on my scarf that used to draw blood when they hit me in the face during an overly excited "Na, na, na, nananana...."

Joyous.

"Willy willy show's yer arse" at willy Johnston... He always did!

scots civil war

kinkster had the `frankie says` t shirt......what did it say on it again?

Frankie Pal

Cup replay against Rangers in the 60s, standing in the Gorgie Road end chatting to 2 Rangers supporters the whole game. Donald Ford scored in the last minute and one of the Gers guys pulled a bayonet out and said to his mate "will I do them now Jimmy". We never stopped running until the Wheatsheaf!

MacDonald Jardine

kinkster had the `frankie says` t shirt......what did it say on it again?

Was it not just "Hearts 2 Hibs 1"?

punkrockcroc

I think the squaring up to McNamara was the "Frankie says" game in 84.

Deffo 1978' must have squared up to someone else then.

[quote name="alyp" post="4890047" timestamp="1434885481"

Not washing my scarf for about 18 months as it was unlucky despite the fact it was growing an entirely new strain of penicillin (fueled by chippy sauce stains).

Going mental at my mum when she finally washed it.

My late mother, bless her did that to me in '86 :sob:

Fxxx the SPFL

it was my bro who squared up to McNamara it was the 2-1 game when O'Conner scored he gets quite embarrassed about it now I think he'd had a couple of sherbets that day. I'm sure it was Jardine or McDonald that pulled him back from McNamara can't remember the year.

One big memory from the 80's was midweek at Parkhead playing in a gale, Levien took a freekick in our half hit it up field, around the half way line it slowed and came back over Levien's head towards our goal Henry Smith had to grab it to stop it going in and the referee gave Celtic a freekick for Henry handling a passback? We think now we get some weird decisions, we always got weird decisions.

Pass back rule didnt come in till 90's

I remember that but it was the season the passback rule was introduced. Big Hoggie attempted to lash the ball downfield. Sliced it straight up in the air. Was spinning that much when it came down that it bounced backwards and Henry caught it. Obviously an indirect freekick in our box to shelter for a deliberate passback!

the general

I remember at Tannadice a guy was selling ham rolls(all tightly packed together) out of a cardboard box. With a nice bar of tablet to follow.

I remember once at Brockville he was selling them as usual but his pitch was just down stream from the overflowing bog at the back of the shed

put me right off

the general

I was one of those tray boys that used to walk around the track and sell kiora orange, plain golden wonder crisps, chewing gum and if I remember correctly Caramac bars all my mates stood in the shed and half my stuff got knicked most matches luckily for me I knew one of the women that gave us our stock and she always slipped me an extra tray of chewing gum to sell off so I always made a wee pockle. I lived in Wheatfield Place and my late old man wouldn't let me go to the games when the weegies came to town but I can remember the big metal bins outside the boys gate crammed full of flags beer bottles etc. Derek O'Conner lived two stairs down from me.

if the police were ahem busy after the game or if we left early we used to liberate some of the bevvy :-) 

gerryjambo41

if the police were ahem busy after the game or if we left early we used to liberate some of the bevvy :-)

I remember a game at Methil a wee newsagents/general store type shop being absolutely liberated of all its stock in fact a lad appeared on our bus with a crate of milk as in his words "it's all they had left!" :D

the general

it was my bro who squared up to McNamara it was the 2-1 game when O'Conner scored he gets quite embarrassed about it now I think he'd had a couple of sherbets that day. I'm sure it was Jardine or McDonald that pulled him back from McNamara can't remember the year.

a family of bampots :-)

avhudtheteeshirt

Pass back rule didnt come in till 90's

Think you maybe right as the same year I remember the Scottish Cup Semi V Airdrie. From a throw in Henry guided the ball in front of himself with his arm, freekick and think they scored from the freekick.

Met an old work pal today, who reminded me of when i worked with Davie Clunie, the Hearts player in the bartrade, in the late 80s,  Smashing guy. There was a time when you hung up your boots you aimed to run a pub.......Robbo done it, Kane of Hibs etc.............Good feeling to see footballers youadmired while having a pint.....

Reserve games when they opened the whole ground, this only stopped in the early 70s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reserve games when they opened the whole ground, this only stopped in the early 70s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vaguely remember this as a small kid.   At one point there was a type of Saturday market behind the Hibs ground.   You could go into the old stadium, where young lads in Hibs Hearts tops were playing.   Makes sense the same thing happened at Gorgie.......

TyphoonJambo

What was the game when the police gave Hibs the shed and then we spent the whole game in a running battle taking it back? I remember with Drylaw and District Hearts, walking through to Gorgie, robbing and choaring through all the posh bits between Muirhouse and Gorgie, deeply ashamed now by the way!!! 

MacDonald Jardine

Think you maybe right as the same year I remember the Scottish Cup Semi V Airdrie. From a throw in Henry guided the ball in front of himself with his arm, freekick and think they scored from the freekick.

It was the 8 step rule he got penalised for.

The cartoon style badges. "Jesus Saves but Robbo nets the rebound"

In my day, it was Busby - does anyone remember the Honey-Monster guy and his stylish lumber-jack type jacket? When he started on the Ref AT EVERY MATCH, thought he was going into cardiac-arrest - is he still around ? That guy had passion and commitment, loved him for that ;)

Enzo Chiefo

The Ind Coope pre-season tournament back in 79 or 80. The Famous, Hibs, Man City and Coventry. Games spread between Easter Road and Tynie over a few days. Think we lost to Hibs but they do tend to win the meaningless games, vindicated by the fact that they have never beaten us at Hampden in their history!

Enzo Chiefo

In my day, it was Busby - does anyone remember the Honey-Monster guy and his stylish lumber-jack type jacket? When he started on the Ref AT EVERY MATCH, thought he was going into cardiac-arrest - is he still around ? That guy had passion and commitment, loved him for that ;)

Enzo Chiefo

Was that Jimmy Lightbulb???

The Ind Coope pre-season tournament back in 79 or 80. The Famous, Hibs, Man City and Coventry. Games spread between Easter Road and Tynie over a few days. Think we lost to Hibs but they do tend to win the meaningless games, vindicated by the fact that they have never beaten us at Hampden in their history!

Coventry in their trendy brown strip lol.

One for the older fans. Anyone remember the cartoon in the green sports paper on a Saturday night ?

Two pals one Hibs the other Hearts.Based on the days when fans used to go to ER one week and Tynecastle the next week.

I used to have a pint at Lauries, Lauriston at the way up to doing a shift at The Doctors pub , after the Satueday game.  There was a mad bloke who always said "tell them about the Honey Mummy, who week in week out fell down the steep toilet stairs.........god bless him

Was that Jimmy Lightbulb???

No, Enzo -  that was the guy at the Ice-Rink ;)

I used to have a pint at Lauries, Lauriston at the way up to doing a shift at The Doctors pub , after the Satueday game.  There was a mad bloke who always said "tell them about the Honey Mummy, who week in week out fell down the steep toilet stairs.........god bless him

Always loved the beer at The Golden Rule, easy stagger to the Diggers, then Tynie Arms  - never needed food in those days ;)

Billy the Jambo

golden goal tickets they were 5p a ticket and had a time like 22 minutes 15 seconds I think there was aprize for the correct time

Fxxx the SPFL

golden goal tickets they were 5p a ticket and had a time like 22 minutes 15 seconds I think there was aprize for the correct time

I still have a golden goal ticket in a programme somewhere and the time is 89 mins 14 seconds I wonder if it was a winner.

Had to laugh at this!

I bought a new scarf on the day of the 98 cup final as I couldn't find my existing one.  I was convinced it would turn out to be a bad omen, and had we lost that day, I would forever have blamed it on myself for changing my scarf.

However, as we won the cup, the new scarf instantly became a lucky scarf.  I still wear it to games to this day, and it has never been washed, because that would clearly eradicate the luckiness.  Does that make me a minger?

Alma Matters

Thank you for being a friend, Thomson twins and George Harrison songs always come to mind for me when thinking about the 80s at Tynie

Thank you for being a friend, Thomson twins and George Harrison songs always come to mind for me when thinking about the 80s at Tynie

After yet another win at ER, the match announcer played All Together Now by The Farm

http://youtu.be/F7MwXniOD44

and the whole Dunbar End burst into chorus

all together now, all together now, all together now in Jambo Land, together

Happydays!

N Lincs Jambo

One for the older fans. Anyone remember the cartoon in the green sports paper on a Saturday night ?

Two pals one Hibs the other Hearts.Based on the days when fans used to go to ER one week and Tynecastle the next week.

Yep remember that well. The tall skinny one with false teeth was the Hibby. The smaller, chubbier one with the tache was the Jambo. One episode in the 80s started with the Jambo's mrs advising him to stay well clear of that rowdy lot from the west (we were playing Celtic that day). Anyway the two old boys were in a packed boozer and the Jambo was trying to explain to his mate the history behind him having his mouser. The Hibby couldn't hear too well with it being a packed boozer so the Jambo is forced to shout about it being based on "The moustache my father wore!" Cue total silence and about 40 pairs of "tim" eyes giving him daggers. Final scene is the Hibby on the blower to the Jambo's mrs explaining he won't be home tonight as he's in the infirmary. Classic!

Always loved the beer at The Golden Rule, easy stagger to the Diggers, then Tynie Arms  - never needed food in those days ;)

enjoyed a pint in the Golden rule and the Polworth after the game, before meeting my old man in the International/Kings Arms.............

PsychocAndy

Just noticed last week, after seeing my mum, that The Yeamen Bar has been The Golden Rule for 25 years. I still call it The Yeamen.

As for the guys that had 3 scarfs, 1 round each wrist, PHM, had them trough the loops on their jeans too.

Also before the Approach Road was finished, having to climb through the brewery, to climb into the School End, because there were Police in the school grounds. Some of those fences were huge. One guy didn't make it and had to go home because we were all skint, but didn't want to miss a game.

After the alcohol ban on supporters busses everyone else used to use the 'new plastic 2 litre' bottles of coke to put their bevvy in. I got caught, because I didn't like cola and put my black'n'tan in a lilt bottle. An extra 2 litres for the committee of the Drylaw Hearts bus.

Mad Bad and Dangerous

Spot on buddy I was there (I was 11) we got beat 1-0

me and my old man were in the main stand, I spent most of the game watching the Jambos in the Dunbar end scrapping wi the polis and causing havoc for 90 mins

Loved every minute   :2thumbsup:

Football Grin ?

I remember wearing my late uncle's lucky bunnet in the second half of the '86 final. Didn't bloody work, he threw it away after the game.

J.T.F.Robertson

Yep remember that well. The tall skinny one with false teeth was the Hibby. The smaller, chubbier one with the tache was the Jambo. One episode in the 80s started with the Jambo's mrs advising him to stay well clear of that rowdy lot from the west (we were playing Celtic that day). Anyway the two old boys were in a packed boozer and the Jambo was trying to explain to his mate the history behind him having his mouser. The Hibby couldn't hear too well with it being a packed boozer so the Jambo is forced to shout about it being based on "The moustache my father wore!" Cue total silence and about 40 pairs of "tim" eyes giving him daggers. Final scene is the Hibby on the blower to the Jambo's mrs explaining he won't be home tonight as he's in the infirmary. Classic!

Eck and Boab?

Buffalo Bill

One of my favourite memories was the post-apocalyptic shuffle down 'Puddle Lane' (where Sainsbury's is) after the game.  

If it had been raining, the sight of watching hundreds of fans having to negotiate the massive puddle half way down was a sight to behold.

There was an amazing smell there too, like some sort of strong spirit.

Archived