Preston North End Pre Season

KingsknoweKid

Doctor FinnBarr

I'd say The Mad Ferret up opposite the university is the best! My mate raves about it and he's into all that, only been in once for a burger myself.

Either that or The Warehouse which has a rock floor!

Thanks for that bud

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest Nobber your well off the mark on a number of points.

Its a "high-risk match" according to Paul Elliott (PNE football Intelligence Officer) if 2,000 or more away fans come). As Hearts claim they will have upto 6,000 fans there, its "mega-high-risk" !!!

Hearts will have nowhere near 6000 at this match.. half that if we are lucky..

Hearts will have nowhere near 6000 at this match.. half that if we are lucky..

I agree, I would expect 1-1.5k. Where has the 6k figure came from???

PortsmouthJambo

I think as the stand we are in holds 6K...certainly doesn't mean we will fill it!

Lancashire_Lou

Lou, or any other resident of Preston for that matter, on the off chance of me and the Mrs being sober enough to go out on Saturday night, are there any decent rock bars about the centre?

We're staying in the Ashwood if thats any help.

The Ferret for live music & food, The Dog & Partridge (biker pub) for beers then the Warehouse for dancing.

Post-Warehouse is The Old Dog. Some sights in there! Haha

Lancashire_Lou

We're staying in the Ashwood if thats any help.

Just a heads up; I had to google that place & seen its on Fishergate Hill. Perfect for the train station but I didn't actually know people stayed in those places other than 'emergency council' accommodation so have your wits about you...

The Shed Floodlight

Nobber in peace here...

Train station to Sumners is about 30-40 minutes walk...

To be honest the Sumners is shite. In fact a large percentage of PNE fans have stopped going in its that bad. Head to Friargate, (you will get served in colours, this is hardly a high risk match) cheap pints in the greyfriars, plenty of real boozers round as well with local brewed stuff. My favourite boozer is the old black bull, top place and fully recommended. Other good uns about Friargate are dog and partridge, Britannia inn, lamb and packet and the black horse... if you're a bit of a tit and fancy a 'bar' instead then church streets your destination were you get yer standard food places etc.

City centre to the ground is about a 15 minute walk.

To be honest Nobber your well off the mark on a number of points.

Its a "high-risk match" according to Paul Elliott (PNE football Intelligence Officer) if 2,000 or more away fans come). As Hearts claim they will have upto 6,000 fans there, its "mega-high-risk" !!!

"The Greyfriars" is a good pub but no longer cheap anymore (and too far away from the ground). If Hearts fans want to drink in town try the other Witherspoons - "The 12 Tellers" still a fare way from the ground - but closer than Greyfrairs. - No colours allowed on match-days though.

As for the Sumners, PNE fans stopped going in there (in big numbers) - when it became the "official away fans pub" - after the Royal Garrison closed. Most home fans who want to drink close to the ground go in Deepdale Labour Club.

If your in colours and getting turned away from city centre pubs, the plod WILL round you up and nice DC Elliott and his boys in blue will esscort you either direct to the ground - (or if its before 2pm) or to The Sumners.

not be 6000 Hearts, at this mate.  poss the same as last time around 2000  -  2500

portobellojambo1

not be 6000 Hearts, at this mate.  poss the same as last time around 2000  -  2500

The total attendance at the game in 2006 was just over 3,000 and there weren't an awful lot of home fans at the game. There does seem to be more interest this time round, so the higher end figure you mention above will probably be not far off the mark. Was a good day out last time, other than being herded to the stadium. Just hope the weather is similar this time round, was a hot day.

the general

The total attendance at the game in 2006 was just over 3,000 and there weren't an awful lot of home fans at the game. There does seem to be more interest this time round, so the higher end figure you mention above will probably be not far off the mark. Was a good day out last time, other than being herded to the stadium. Just hope the weather is similar this time round, was a hot day.

its always had to tell at this time of year

I actually thought interest was not as high but then a lot of my mates have turned into boring auld farts

Train on Friday from Kirkcaldy ?28 return

Hotel Blackpool Friday ?30

Hotel Preston Saturday ? free ( IHG points )

Sorted

gorgieheart

Driving down Saturday, straight to the game, drive over to blackpool ... Saturday night out in blackpool, back up the road Sunday afternoon... sorted !

lancashire_lad

Thats what a lot of PNE fans are saying, closer to 3,000 - but in the end who knows? How many tickets have Hearts asked for? And how many have they sold so far?

lancashire_lad

The Ferret for live music & food, The Dog & Partridge (biker pub) for beers then the Warehouse for dancing.

Post-Warehouse is The Old Dog. Some sights in there! Haha

The Dog & Partridge caters more for the "gay crowd" now its re-open again, although some bikers do still go in there (well I thought they were bikers, they were dressed in tight black leather trousers?).

lancashire_lad

The Sun on Friargate is a Celtic pub so that's amusing.

And just down from the Sun (Irish/Celtic pub) on the corner is the Lamb & Packet (that use to be the Loyalist/Rangers pub - although I think the Huns have moved to the New Welcome Inn now?)

Garston true blue

Am going to this game as well , hope to meet up with some Jambos for when we visit with Everton the following week , it's only 40 mins on the train for me ,

The Shed Floodlight

Thats what a lot of PNE fans are saying, closer to 3,000 - but in the end who knows? How many tickets have Hearts asked for? And how many have they sold so far?

Don't know, think if the demand was their they'd get all 6k but as I said will be around same as last time, if the game had been in say a Europa League tie then 6000 would prob get shifted no problem. as we could've taken that amount to Anfield for Liverpool game.

where is Friargate in Preston??

lancashire_lad

Don't know, think if the demand was their they'd get all 6k but as I said will be around same as last time, if the game had been in say a Europa League tie then 6000 would prob get shifted no problem. as we could've taken that amount to Anfield for Liverpool game.

where is Friargate in Preston??

Friargate is very close to the centre of Preston and about 5 mins walk from the train station. At the one end you have the Greyfriar (Witherspoons) pub, the Dog & Partridge, Black Bull - and at the other (the University End) The Sun, O'Neils, Lamb & Packet and a whole host of other (mainly student / music) pubs. Also a few good (Asian) restaurants along there.

the general

The Dog & Partridge caters more for the "gay crowd" now its re-open again, although some bikers do still go in there (well I thought they were bikers, they were dressed in tight black leather trousers?).

sounds good ... me and the chaps will head here then !!

where would you recommend for a decent Ruby Murray?

ps

thanks for all the tips 

Do many construction workers drink there?  Or Red Indians by any chance?

Nucky Thompson

Got our 4 tickets today and the lass said we have sold out one section

The Shed Floodlight

Friargate is very close to the centre of Preston and about 5 mins walk from the train station. At the one end you have the Greyfriar (Witherspoons) pub, the Dog & Partridge, Black Bull - and at the other (the University End) The Sun, O'Neils, Lamb & Packet and a whole host of other (mainly student / music) pubs. Also a few good (Asian) restaurants along there.

cheers Lad.

The old Black Bull has about 8 real ales on tap , genuine Victorian mosaic floor - worth a visit - 2 minutes walk from the open air market which is 2 minutes from one if Britains ugliest building structures ( Preston bus station )

Night shift Friday night. Finish at 05:25 and getting 06:52 train....madness

spoke to a lot of fans who are on this train- in Preston for 09:15

Five of us going by car from Pendlebury 4 m NW of Manchester. 4 City and 1 Bolton fan. Should be a good day out.

Doctor FinnBarr

Just a heads up; I had to google that place & seen its on Fishergate Hill. Perfect for the train station but I didn't actually know people stayed in those places other than 'emergency council' accommodation so have your wits about you...

Gets good reviews on Tripadvisor

Lancashire_Lou

Gets good reviews on Tripadvisor

Fair enough! Just don't hang around outside for too long after dark. Haha.

I live 2 mins away from there on the next street; there's a cracking cafe 'Race cafe' on Bow Lane if you need one.

Soul suite in Blackpool ..great for a night out, heading there Saturday night.

Maroon Tart

I'm driving over from Leeds for the match on Saturday. Can anybody recommend a decent town centre car park? Or is parking at Deepdale ok??

Gerd Muller

7 of us on the 8.52 train from Edinburgh, no changes, straight to Preston. Braw.

Luton Jambo

3 bought this afternoon. Looking forward to a return since the last friendly down there.

What's the deal with this. I want to buy 3 but it will only let me buy 1 on my account and I would have to assign the other two. The two people I was planning on taking along don't have accounts??? The other 2 aren't regular attendees, as in never.

Forza Cuore

What's the deal with this. I want to buy 3 but it will only let me buy 1 on my account and I would have to assign the other two. The two people I was planning on taking along don't have accounts??? The other 2 aren't regular attendees, as in never.

I was the same with one of the people going with me, you just need to set up an account for them then assign the ticket.

Got two for me and my son, both season ticket holders and I borrowed my old mans season ticket to get the third. There was a wedge of tickets in the boys hand too. Not sure that it's the best way to encourage fans to go though? No public sale??

Heading down on the 8.12 first class as well. From memory, summers was cracking last time and handy for the ground as was the now defunct royal garrison, maybe cause it was a hot sunny day and the pub was full of jambos.

portobellojambo1

Any idea how many tickets we have sold?

I was speaking to someone last night who said we had sold somewhere in the region of around 3.5/4k. Not sure how reliable the source is that passed this information on to her.

Heartsfc_1874

06;52 train from Waverley to preston arrives 0915

Find the hearts fans in the nearest located pub and sing

Just wondered where would be the best place to try and catch a taxi after the game ? will there be plenty of them on main roads to flag down ? Noticed a Salisbury's and shopping area near by the stadium are they likely to have taxi ranks at them ?

cheers

portobellojambo1

06;52 train from Waverley to preston arrives 0915

Find the hearts fans in the nearest located pub and sing

I think the vast majority of pubs in Preston, outwith Wetherspoons, have opening times of around 11am-12midday

portobellojambo1

we only got 1500 tickets and yesterday there was still a few hundred left.

Think we got around the same number of tickets last time, but ended up with nearer 2300 inside the ground

The Great Khali

I AM EXCITED!

Possibly already been mentioned but any boozers willing to serve all the jakeys arriving before 10 am? Asking for a friend...

Lancashire_Lou

Possibly already been mentioned but any boozers willing to serve all the jakeys arriving before 10 am? Asking for a friend...

I've never tried drinking before 10am in Preston before tbh but your best bet is Greyfriars off the ringway.

Should have thought ahead and opened up my own bar at mine. I live 2 mins walk from the station!

Lancashire_Lou

The Vic opposite the stations main entrance now opens for breakfast at 10am I think & is usually the 'away' pub nearest there. It's just been taken over by the folk who have The Variety.

Heartsfc_1874

My Plan :

Saturday ;

5:20am - wake up

5:35am - shower

5:55am - dressed

6:10am - cup a tea /milk 2sugars

6:25am - get in taxi

6:30am - pick up a mate

6:45am - arrive at Waverley station

6:52am - board train to preston

9:15am - arrive in preston