What Game Got You Hooked?

Gorgieshed

Uncle Buck

My first game was 2-0 v Dundee in 2001. Ricardo Fuller scored and I'm sure Gary Wales got the second.

My first game http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/197804081.html then (ironically) we moved to Arbroath.  On return my Dad took me to my first derby which happened to be this game.

1984082502.jpg

:yas: BJM06T.jpg

Funnily enough, your first game was also my first game.

Just looking at the London Hearts data on that game, a certain Albert Kidd was playing for Arbroath that day. 

My 1st game was Alex McDonald's testimonial.

Rangers won 3-2 iirc.

I remember going to a friendly against Watford the day I got back from Spain. The pitch looked so green.

There wasn't really a hook game for me.

I was brought up a Hearts fan and just started going to matches.

First memorable one took a while as we were in division 1 then working towards prominence in the Premier. Probably the 3-2 Derby win over Hibs in 83 was the first defining moment.

Same as me but I saw Hearts beat Celtic 5-3 at Tynie in 1958 and my dad told me it was a brilliant win.

My interest in football started when Denmark won Euro 92, being half Danish my grandmother sent over flags and banners to put around the house,apparently they dont get on with the Swedish and all of Denmark was buzzing about getting in through the back door to that tournament.

My first hearts game was a 2-1 loss to rangers in the cup semi at old parkhead and I remember loving the atmosphere that day but it's probably 1996 cup semi vs Aberdeen that hooked me for good

Tbh the more injustice i see over the years for the obvious bias to the OF makes me love Hearts more and more rather than 1 specific game.

dkmmgcycbwc

1st game I went to, I think it was a semi final at Hampden against Dumbarton around 1968.

All I remember is getting beat 1-0 and a big long haired ginger boy (Wallacei think) scoring the goal.

Good news for you pal. Either it was 0-0 or we won 3-0. so have a pint to celebrate. Even better news it was about 1976 so you are a bit younger than you think. 

Wasn't my first game but a couple of early ones that I remember thinking, this is a bit special were close together in the 82/83 season. The New Year game against St Johnstone and being amazed at the crowd ( it was just under 15k! ) and then a few months later driving along the M8 and passing all the buses on the way to the 4-1 defeat in the Cup at Parkhead when Provan took a dive.

GarryJ-o-s

It was a 5-1 Cup Final, but not the good one. Don't really remember, but allegedly cried and cried. Was just after I got my first strip and been a fan even since.

My first game was a 2-1 defeat to the vermin at tynecastle in the Scottish cup in 1971. I was at the next game a zero zero versus Dundee I think.

For me it was a 4-1 win over Dundee Utd in August 87. Battered them

I still say that was the best performance I've seen

Hearts vs Airdrie match in 1968. Not a special match by any means but it was the day I found home. Being brought up in Craigentinny, I had been quite a few times to Easter Road but one visit to Tynecastle changed everything.

N Lincs Jambo

I still say that was the best performance I've seen

Not far wrong with that Mikey. The younger ones on JKB  might not appreciate it but that Dundee Utd side that we stuffed 4-1 had been in the UEFA Cup Final just 3 months prior to that game and were very genuinely one of the best sides in Europe at the time. Makes you appreciate how we did so well in Europe in the 88-89 Season despite being crap in the league that year.

Started going to games late, as I could never be bothered with football before the age of around 14.  My grandad is a Motherwell supporter and my uncle a Hearts supporter, so the choice was between the 2, although living in the Borders, the Edinburgh club obviously was more attractive.  I asked my Uncle to take me along to a game one day and he jumped at the chance.

First game was a 0-0 draw with Dundee United in 2008 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7790880.stm - and I was hooked from day one.

The game was atrocious.  Hardly anything on target, heavy tackles everywhere and a denied penalty for us.  It definitely wasn't the on field display that made an impact on me (well, not for the right reasons anyway) but it was simply Tynecastle that sealed the deal.  Walking out onto the Wheatfield concourse, the steepness of the stands, how close you were to the pitch.  It felt like you were right on top of the players (and really, that's one of the best things about our stadium!), the number of people there - it might have been December, but there were 16,442 people there apparently.  The atmosphere wasn't electric, but it was decent.  Immediately it made the hairs on my arms and neck stand up and goosebumps everywhere - it was fantastic, and I'd never seen anything like that before.

You don't turn your back after being part of a Hearts game.  I might not get the chance to go to Tynecastle as much as I would like, but every time I step foot through that wee tunnel and onto the Wheatfield concourse, I get the same goosebumps I did when I went to my first game. :thumbsup:

First for me via the Blackburn and Whitburn bus to a capacity Tynecastle (29,000 in them days). Check out the old dug outs and tunnel, see the main stand packed, marvel at our DoF in full flow and even have a wee nod to the late Davie Cooper. Also feel free to join in with the wonderful "Souness, penis!"

Doctor FinnBarr

First for me via the Blackburn and Whitburn bus to a capacity Tynecastle (29,000 in them days). Check out the old dug outs and tunnel, see the main stand packed, marvel at our DoF in full flow and even have a wee nod to the late Davie Cooper. Also feel free to join in with the wonderful "Souness, penis!"

LOL, chances are I was secretary of Blackburn and Whitburn at that time.

LOL, chances are I was secretary of Blackburn and Whitburn at that time.

Cheers for the ticket :thumbsup:

Went to a lot of games that season on B&W before switching to Bo'Ness and Linlithgow. You aren't "Big George" are you?!

Jan 86. Hearts 3 oldco 2 in the Scottish cup. McKay, Roberston and someone else for us. McCoist and Durrant for them. Amazing atmosphere. Amazing game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was the first game i went to as well, the 85/86 season

Sat on the plastic benches opposite the main stand & still have the programme from that game

1-0 down at half time,  Robbo scored the winner in about the 85th minute, absolute bedlam....

My first game was a friendly against Eintracht Frankfurt - we one 3-1 I think

Hooked from then. A meaningless friendly game but that was me.

I was lucky though as when I first started supporting hearts and got into football it was 1985...

Do whilst it didn't end well I chose an exciting time to join the enlightened

For me it was a 4-1 win over Dundee Utd in August 87. Battered them

Good call.

We were awesome that day. That, and a 4-2 win v. Dundee a few weeks later, was probably the finest football I've seen Hearts play in 40 years.

ming the merciless

Romance

Scottish Cup Semi Replay against Dundee Utd at Hampden on a bright cold evening in 1974...was 7 years old sitting on the crush barrier and the drama and excitement of the game and the valiant efforts of the men in maroon never left me.

Reality

Less than 20K crowd at semi deserted Hampden in crap weather. We were favourites, had loads of good chances in the first half missed most and then blew it when we really should have won. With Dundee Utd getting a pretty dubious penalty along the way...mind you set me up nicely for the next 40 years though.

Edit: crowd was less than 13,000!! Wow

Equaliser wasn't a penalty mate, it was a 30 yard screamer. You're right though, should have won it 1st half. Lost the reply 4-2.

Four faces

First game.1979.0.3 v dundee utd,second game 1.3 v celtic,missed the goal.we were relegated.3rd game 1.3 v coventry,pre season friendly.now here's the awkward bit.family are huns so i turned to them.had a top e.t.c..went to ibrox in a scottish cup tie on a hearts bus.got horsed 6.1.went back to the bus and were attacked with a few gers fans.saw my da use his fists for the first time and bus got bricked.fans looked out for me and the incident upset me and saw me turning back to hearts.the rest is history.think it all appealed to my character of the underdog.

Good call.

We were awesome that day. That, and a 4-2 win v. Dundee a few weeks later, was probably the finest football I've seen Hearts play in 40 years.

We were a good team then weren`t we.

JC, Robbo and Sandy Clark in full flow were hot property. Relentless at times and i remember a 6-3 win over Dundee in those days were it was attack afer attack, chance after chance....

It got to the stage you were expecting the victory every week, especially at Tynecastle, and on the way to games i used to picture what it was going to be like... JC ripping the defence apart and Sandy nodding one in or the 3 of them combining to open up teams effortlessly.

Great days, just a trophy was all that was missing.

We were a good team then weren`t we.

JC, Robbo and Sandy Clark in full flow were hot property. Relentless at times and i remember a 6-3 win over Dundee in those days were it was attack afer attack, chance after chance....

It got to the stage you were expecting the victory every week, especially at Tynecastle, and on the way to games i used to picture what it was going to be like... JC ripping the defence apart and Sandy nodding one in or the 3 of them combining to open up teams effortlessly.

Great days, just a trophy was all that was missing.

The '87/88 season we were a joy to watch. We seemed to dominate virtually every game, even at Ibrox and Parkhead. As you suggest, games couldn't come quick enough.

5-1 at Falkirk, 3-0 midweek at Tannadice and 6-0 at St. Mirren were also stand outs.

Sadly, lapses of concentration, and concession of late goals, was that team's Achilles heel.

There wasn't really a hook game for me.

I was brought up a Hearts fan and just started going to matches.

First memorable one took a while as we were in division 1 then working towards prominence in the Premier. Probably the 3-2 Derby win over Hibs in 83 was the first defining moment.

That game was the first one that came to mind when i read the question.

John Robertson hooked me on Hearts that day and id been going for a few years.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Good call.

The DU game was my first ever. In that Dundee game, did Robbo have the chance of a hat-trick but Geddis saved his penalty? I remember seeing face in the crowd on Sportscene that night.

The DU game was my first ever. In that Dundee game, did Robbo have the chance of a hat-trick but Geddis saved his penalty? I remember seeing face in the crowd on Sportscene that night.

Spot on.

Iirc it would have been a 5 minute hat-trick but Geddes saved the pen at the Gorgie Road end.

We swarmed all over Dundee in the first half and were 3-0 ahead at half-time. Dundee, tbf, had a good attacking side at the time and it finished 4-2. Excellent game.

Robbo never did get that Premier hat-trick.

paleredfox

1987 - Hearts 3 Morton 0.

Sure Sandy Jardine broke an ankle as it happened right in front of me, I also remember Kenny Black scoring a header

Guest Bilel Mohsni

First game Hearts v Motherwell Dec 2001 Stunning Ricardo Fuller solo goal.

Great goal. Mind before we signed Ricardo, we tried to sign Georgios Vakouftsis, but he knocked the loan deal back? He went on to play for Fiorentina/was at Fiorentina. Scored a pile of goals at a high level in Greece too.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgios_Vakouftsis

It's these sort of signings and targets (Fuller and Vakouftsis) that make me a little excited when Levein says we should be patient, and that they are chasing "quality". :)

(IN CRAIG AND ROBBIE I TRUST)

paleredfox

I remember the Greek striker with Levein at Tynecastle as STV showed it.

I always wondered what happened there as it must have been very close to going through.

My dad brainwashed me as a kid. I grew up in Abbeyhill and he was terrified that my predominantly H1b5 supporting mates, with their fancy 1970's derby wins, would turn my head.

Thank you, Dad, for getting me hooked.

The 1980 title deciding win v. Airdrie was a significant moment though. I was only 12 and the big crowd and the dramatic late winner left it's mark. As did travelling to away games in '81/82 and '82/83 with a schoolmate and his older brothers.

Three of them he had, all around 20, give or take, and total f#@king nutjobs.

Good times, though. ?

Archived