What Game Got You Hooked?

Gorgieshed

Gorgieshed

For some people they are hooked on football after their first game. Chances are though your first game will be a drab affair.

I must have been about 10/11 years old in the early 90s and the game that really got me wanting to come back was Hearts 4 Vs 2 Slavia Prague. I think Levein scored that night if I remember correctly.

The atmosphere and the buzz I felt was like a drug. It made all the dire games before that worth while.

Fruitmachine76

Remember mine like it was yesterday - day after my 9th birthday, I went to see the JTs smash Motherwell 3-0 back in November 1985.

Family friend took me on a supporters bus from gorebridge. The bus ran a sweep on first scorer, draw numbers out a hat type stuff. I drew hearts 10. Sandy Clark. He scored the first two (which at that age I thought meant I got double the winnings!) so I got a tenner in shrapnel which filled my wee hearts pom-pom hat that I had with me! Braw day. Hooked me from the off. Standing near, but not quite in the shed (near the old pie stand behind the goals at the school end). Atmosphere and whole day out just really got me.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

First game. Drab 2-0 win over Motherwell. Loved the ground, the atmosphere, the walk to the ground, climbing the stairs and seeing the crowd open up in front of me. I was born in to it anyway, this was just my first trip to the ground.

Fitzroy Pointon

As my first game was 0-0 v. St Mirren at Love Street and, as my old man said, it was enough to get "fitba stoaped", it would have to be v. Atletico Madrid at Tynecastle.  The bus was that packed the kids had to squeeze 3 or 4 to a seat.  The atmosphere was unbelievable that night.  Hooked from that moment. 

weekend offender

Canny remember my first game tbh but my son's first game was the mark de easy/andy kirk game 5-1 he was 4 and he/we have hardly missed a home game since.I'm dreading him saying THOSE words every dad dreads to hear I WANT TO GO WITH MY MATES

First game I remember was Hearts v Kilmarnock I think. Early in the 04/05 season, I was 8. My Dad was in hospitality on a works thing and I was so jealous that I persuaded my grandad to take me. Remember being sat in gorgie and feeling as if I was going to fall off it was so steep. We won convincingly and the atmosphere seemed electric to me back then.

Fell in love there and then and feel the exact same way every single time I climb the stairs to my seat.

Buffalo Bill

For some people they are hooked on football after their first game. Chances are though your first game will be a drab affair.

I must have been about 10/11 years old in the early 90s and the game that really got me wanting to come back was Hearts 4 Vs 2 Slavia Prague. I think Levein scored that night if I remember correctly.

The atmosphere and the buzz I felt was like a drug. It made all the dire games before that worth while.

My first game got me hooked, 10 years before yours; a midweek First Division game v Ayr Utd. Hearts won 2-1 with a late goal from Derek Addison.

That Slavia game had just about everything, including a Pantomime Villain opposition.  I watched that one from the Gorgie Road end. Some scenes.

There wasn't really a hook game for me.

I was brought up a Hearts fan and just started going to matches.

First memorable one took a while as we were in division 1 then working towards prominence in the Premier. Probably the 3-2 Derby win over Hibs in 83 was the first defining moment.

Rabbie_Burns

2-0 win at Ibrox 1985, John Colquhoun double that day sealed it for this unlikely west coast interloper to become forever a maroon believer

First ever game I watched was Brazil v USA '94 World Cup, for some reason the memory of Leanardo smashing a USA player with his elbow has lived long in my memory more than the actual game

agree first game is probably it

first game Dunfermline 2 Hearts 2 1974

- main highlight was coming into stadium, seeing goals

first game at Tynecastle Hearts 3 Southampton 0

- main highlight Bobby Prentice

hooked? - Mercer taking over around 1980 was a big deal. Someone to take us into a proper modern, competitive club. I was at the Locarno meeting. You thought it was really worth backing. Sound familar?

Going to games - maybe you just fall into it but first season going regularly to away games the last promotion season 82/83 probably was it.

I have missed a long period - basically the whole Chris Robinson era aside from Cup finals and a few games but back under Romanov and at every game last season to support the guys to go up which is full circle from 82/83.

Torry Jambo

27th of November 1971 at Pittodrie.Aberdeen were leading 2-1 with a couple of minutes to go,then Donald Ford bangs In a brace,to complete his Hat Trick and It finishes 3-2 to the Famous.As a young boy at the time living In Aberdeen,I already had links to Hearts and this game just confirmed a life long love affair.

The Internet

Not sure if I even have one but if I do, it's that 1-0 league cup win over Celtic in 96 when Robbo scored at the roseburn end. Just remember going absolutely mental and I must have only been 6/7 years old.

Jan 86. Hearts 3 oldco 2 in the Scottish cup. McKay, Roberston and someone else for us. McCoist and Durrant for them. Amazing atmosphere. Amazing game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theflagman

Against rangers december85 at ibrox,2 nil to hearts must have been 10,000 there that day,filled the stand behind the goal plus some of the main stand as it was pay at the gate.

the first really really exciting game was Hearts 3 Hibs 2 - Sept 1983, the "John Robertson derby"

Tokyo Drifter

Funnily enough that was my first game at Tynie too. Had seen Hearts at Easter Road and been to a few other Hibs games with my pals from school who were all Hibbies but I was always a Hearts fan through my dad. Took myself off on my own to see the Slavia Prague game. Easter Road never got me the way Tynie got me - stood at the Gorgie End and from that first sight of the pitch from the terracing with the floodlights shining down I was totally hooked. And what a game. Still one of the best I've seen at Tynie. I remember the crowd being massive but I looked up the attendance a few years ago and it was only 15000 odd.

William H. Bonney

Ive no idea what my 1st game was but the 7-0 win over hamilton academical was an early highlight.

Romance

Scottish Cup Semi Replay against Dundee Utd at Hampden on a bright cold evening in 1974...was 7 years old sitting on the crush barrier and the drama and excitement of the game and the valiant efforts of the men in maroon never left me.

Reality
Less than 20K crowd at semi deserted Hampden in crap weather. We were favourites, had loads of good chances in the first half missed most and then blew it when we really should have won. With Dundee Utd getting a pretty dubious penalty along the way...mind you set me up nicely for the next 40 years though.

Edit: crowd was less than 13,000!! Wow

4-2 v Celtic Tynecastle mid sixties and 6-3 v Aberdeen midweek game around the same time.

Can't choose between them

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Funnily enough not a Hearts game. Wembley 77 and the lead up to the 78 World Cup. Ever since Scotland have disappointed me so much its untrue, I am now the head of the Scotland Cynics Odedient Twit Society, SCOTS for short

3fingersreid

Been at a number of games before this one but the Scottish cup QF against Dundee at Tynecastle 1975 kind of sticks out for me

Tommy Murray scored early on into the Gorgie rd end where we were standing ,near the pylon beside the pie stall

The 2-2 Dunfermline game Mikey1874 mentions was another I remember probably the first away trip I went to :)

First game was our centenary match against Spurs in 1974 when I was 8. To be honest though I was hooked long before that on stories of the Terrible Trio and the glorious team of the 1950s.

My first game was a 5-3 win vs Killie in 1997. Shame I can't remember it at all but then again, I was only 3.

My 2nd game didn't come round til I was about 6 and unfortunately I can remember that. As drab as they came. Killie again the opposition although this time, it was a miserable 0-0 draw on a freezing afternoon in February.

Then, my dad managed to get us tickets for a derby at Easter Road. That particular derby being when Pressley scored late on to see us win at Easter Road for the first time in 5 years.

Everything about the experience was outstanding and it's safe to say, that kickstarted the real buzz.

loveofthegame

First game - Hearts 5 Huntly 0. Fell in love aged 6 and have had a season ticket with my old man since.

Think it was my second ever game, and we beat St Johnstone 3-0, a game in which Andy Kirk broke his leg (I think, I was only 6) and Juanjo scored twice.

Amazingly I went from my first game in 2001 v Dundee (1-1 draw in the SC) to the game at Murrayfield v Schalke before I saw hearts lose. 42 games before I saw hearts lose :jjyay:

I can also remember a game when I had just turned 7 against Motherwell in which we went 2-0 down. I remember sitting crying because I didn't want Hearts to lose :lol: it was ok though because we went on to win 4-2.

Back to 2005

My first game was aged 9 in 1979. Dunfermline in the old first division won 2-1. Loved it although remember going to ibrox and cheering on the Huns with my cousin the same year. Thankfully made the right choice and was a season ticket holder a few years later.

1st game I went to, I think it was a semi final at Hampden against Dumbarton around 1968.

All I remember is getting beat 1-0 and a big long haired ginger boy (Wallacei think) scoring the goal.

Can't remember the opposition I think it was morton but I might be wrong what I do remember is wee jc bagging a hatrick that was the game 4 me I even preferred jc to robbo as my fav all time player

Alex MacDonald

Had been to plenty reserve games but it was my first 1st team game that did it for me, home game against Partick Thistle at the end of 1973/74 season. A goal down at half-time, Benny Rooney scored, Drew Busby scored a hat-trick in the second half, 2 headers, one shot, all from crosses from Rab Prentice. Marvellous.

The first game I went to was in 92/93, a home win v Dundee. Although apparently (I have no recollection of this part!) I cried to my mum when I got home because "all the angry men were swearing". :lol:

So I'll say I was hooked from the following game which I went to, another home win but this time over Dundee United. The only thing that I really remember from that game was Dundee United having Belhaven across their strips and that was the also the name of a pub at the time near where we lived (now The Waiting Rooms). Taking an interest in alcohol (and swearing) from a young age...

My first game was 1-1 with Celtic! Certain wee Jose scored in like the 94th min what a scene celebrating

The Internet

My first game was a 5-3 win vs Killie in 1997. Shame I can't remember it at all but then again, I was only 3.

Wasn't my first game but this definitely sticks out for me too, I would have been 7 and I can't remember too much other than just loving watching so many goals go in. Weirdly the one thing that's really vivid for me is seeing a Killie fan sticking his middle finger up towards the hearts fans near where I was sitting as he was walking out :lol:

airdriejambo3

i find it hard to even comment on what my first game or game that got me hooked, ive been going for so long and was so young i honestly have no idea when it all began. one of my first memories was a 1-1 draw with celtic at tynecastle on 7th nov 1987 ,  according to the scotsport vid on youtube it say " As it seems to be every week just now Tynecastle was a sellout of 29k"  

Amoruso_lets_it_run

The first game I remember being truly amazing was the Fozzy on the fence derby. Have been going with my dad since I was 5 so not a case of getting hooked as would always be going back whatever happened

Shanks said no

January 1st 1974 at Easter Road

Old man took me age 9 to my first New Year Derby

We lost 3-1 and a crowd of over 35,000 was there.

Wasn't my first game but was my first big game. I remember the police horses, the fighting, the drinking and the crush. We were in the Cow Shed opposite the Dunbar End. 

First game Hearts 1 Dunfermline 0 1992 Robbo scored. Drab game but was immediately hooked with the whole occasion. can name the 1-11 as well!

Archived