Where is Edinburgh?s best chip shop?

jimmyjambo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say What Again

I'm lucky to have two crackers down beside me.

Giovanni's at Northfield Broadway, and The Barracuda at Northfield Drive.

Bene's on the Canongate, when Bene actually had it (I think he's at Port Seton now) was immense. Best chips in town in those days, no question. He had the big gold trophy and the framed Evening News article behind the bar to prove it, naysayers.

There is a chippy (or chipper as they are known up here) called The Bay in Stonehaven. Hand down the best fish and chips i've ever had. 45 minute queues at the weekend for their award winning grub. 

Toxteth O'Grady

There is a chippy (or chipper as they are known up here) called The Bay in Stonehaven. Hand down the best fish and chips i've ever had. 45 minute queues at the weekend for their award winning grub. 

That one is outstanding, pity it is so far away.

Most if not all Chippy's thru here in west lothian are pretty poor in comparising, only one i would give the thumbs up is the one in Linlithgow...Golden chip im sure its called.

What is it with Chip Shops that hardly any of them can make decent chips though.

When I lived at Restalrig the chippie on Restalrig Road near the Bottom Shop did amazing chips. Sadly everything else was rotten.

What is it with Chip Shops that hardly any of them can make decent chips though.

Quite a lot of turkish ones taking over and their chips are always shite.

Randle P McMurphy

The jubilee? There's a reason that javits across the road is rammed and the jubilee is empty. It's 10 years or more since it was great chippy

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Malinga the Swinga

Chip Inn at Colinton. Queues all evening, every evening, best fish in Edinburgh that even had my old man commenting on quality, and he is fussy about all food. Also does excellent chips, which is important for a chippie.

Bene's on the Canongate, when Bene actually had it (I think he's at Port Seton now) was immense. Best chips in town in those days, no question. He had the big gold trophy and the framed Evening News article behind the bar to prove it, naysayers.

Gios is hugely overpriced considering the tiny portions these days. Massively downhill.

L'alba D'ora in Henderson Row.

I have time to kill two Wednesday evenings in town each month so go there for a fish supper. Fish is always great, chips aren't the star tho tbh.

Aye , prefer the barracuda - everything is made to order, no ideal if you want to nip in and out! The lassie is way too nice for her own good though- we ordered in on a Saturday night - was 10 mins later than she said it wid be so got 2fish suppers and a bottle of juice for nixy!!

Chip Inn at Colinton. Queues all evening, every evening, best fish in Edinburgh that even had my old man commenting on quality, and he is fussy about all food. Also does excellent chips, which is important for a chippie.

I like the Chip Inn, but it's never been the same since it burnt down IMO.

I like the Chip Inn, but it's never been the same since it burnt down IMO.

Horrible atmosphere in their whenever I'm in. Everyone picking on that wee Davie guy. TBF, I'd hate to work with him. He's getting slower and he's a bit deaf. He's actually a bit rude to customers sometimes. They should just put him out of his misery and sack/kill him.

Chips are hit and miss. They were better when they were 50p a bag.

often thought about that too. Can't be that difficult.

Maybe there's no need to make them that great because folk tend to eat them as convenience food so will just pop in and grab a bag Because they happen to be passing.

Having said that I've occasionally gone out my way to drive to a better chippy.

Down that end of town I think the St Andrew's Grill is better than both.

:muggy:

often thought about that too. Can't be that difficult.

Maybe there's no need to make them that great because folk tend to eat them as convenience food so will just pop in and grab a bag Because they happen to be passing.

Having said that I've occasionally gone out my way to drive to a better chippy.

Only really good chips I have had from a chippy in years is from Mr Crolla's in Tranent(ah the beauty of Just Eat lol)

They do a pretty good fish as well in batter though the special in breadcrumbs was rank.

Governor Tarkin

Horrible atmosphere in their whenever I'm in. Everyone picking on that wee Davie guy. TBF, I'd hate to work with him. He's getting slower and he's a bit deaf. He's actually a bit rude to customers sometimes. They should just put him out of his misery and sack/kill him.

Chips are hit and miss. They were better when they were 50p a bag.

Jeezo, blast from the past. Wee Davie Bundy (after Ted Bundy) we used to call him when that was my stomping ground - circa 25 years ago.

Mario was the guy who owned it back then. He always had a suit and tie on under his whites iirc, which was a nice touch. I've no idea if its a good chippie these days or not.

jambos are go!

Tailend on Leith Walk is tops for me. Followed by the Gorgie Fish Bar. The Chip shop at Stenhouse Cross changed ownership recently and went from terrible to very good with Fish fried to order.

The chips you get anywhere else are never as good as the chip shop you grew up next to.

More objectively, the best chip shops are the busiest ones, simply because the food doesn't sit for as long. For me, chips are best when they've been out the fryer for about 5 minutes.

I usually tend to pick something that isn't ready and ask them to cook it if the shop is quiet, because it means the food has been sat there for hours.

tartofmidlothian

Newington Fish Bar, hands down.

Not the Newington Fish Bar any more, it's Finnan 2 Go and owned by the guy who used to fry at the Tailend. It's awesome, edges out Tailend for me.

tartofmidlothian

Evening News awards are no indication, there's a bar in Haymarket that keeps getting pub of the year and it's no great shakes.

Say What Again

Evening News awards are no indication, there's a bar in Haymarket that keeps getting pub of the year and it's no great shakes.

You missed the part where I was telling you it was so. That trumps any News award anyway.

:P

10 years ago maybe. gone right down hill imo.

Down that end of town I think the St Andrew's Grill is better than both.

:muggy:

I don't understand it either. I'll always call it the chippy. 

Does Tony still run the chip inn at Oxgangs? Mind going in with my dad and him giving my sister and I free sweets all the time. Good guy. 

Is Davie the small chap? If so he has been there forever. Seems like a decent guy too.

I don't understand it either. I'll always call it the chippy.

Does Tony still run the chip inn at Oxgangs? Mind going in with my dad and him giving my sister and I free sweets all the time. Good guy.

Is Davie the small chap? If so he has been there forever. Seems like a decent guy too.

Tony still owns it yeah. Seems a good Guy. David is the wee guy.

Howdy Doody Jambo

The Gorgie Fish Bar is top drawer, all fish cooked fresh on order. The globetrotter on bruntsfield place is also top drawer

Brian Whittaker's Tache

L'alba D'Oro used to be the best chippy in town hands down. Last time I was in a few months ago the portions were tiny and the price high. 

Tailend has no choice if you don't eat fish. The one is Anstruther is the dog's! Calamari supper and a single black pudding is my standard order.

Aldo's in Uphall used to be good when I was a boy. (I worked there when I was at school)

tartofmidlothian

L'alba D'Oro used to be the best chippy in town hands down. Last time I was in a few months ago the portions were tiny and the price high. 

Tailend has no choice if you don't eat fish. The one is Anstruther is the dog's! Calamari supper and a single black pudding is my standard order.

Aldo's in Uphall used to be good when I was a boy. (I worked there when I was at school)

Tailend has a lot of choice, that's been the problem lately. Don't know if it's been taken over, but it used to blow everywhere else away for fish, now it has a big range and the fish is just decent.

tommythejambo

We must be a similar neck of the woods. Heard a lot of complaints about Giovannis recently though.

Say What Again

We must be a similar neck of the woods. Heard a lot of complaints about Giovannis recently though.

Can't say I've heard many complaints myself, but since Xmas/New Year ive been trying my best to avoid takeaways, so ive not been in for a while.

Barracuda with its made to order suppers has always been better IMO, but Gio's must be a goldmine. It's always heaving. Saturday tea time there always a queue out the door - and that's with a seven staff chain gang behind the counter :lol:

Archived