Where is Edinburgh?s best chip shop?

jimmyjambo

Actually I like the chippy at longstone canny mind the name

Gino's. It's decent.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rupert Pupkin

Good to see both Loanhead chippys on that list.The town is split in two with patrons of each saying the one they go to is best. It's Dino's for me,been frequenting there since I was a young lad.

Rupert Pupkin

Mario's? Was there the other night.

Top pizzas.

Nah Dino's is better.

heartsfc_fan

Nah Dino's is better.

Not had a pizza out of Dino's yet so I'll need to revisit this thread when I have :)

Victor Mancini

As I posted near the start of this bunfight.

Eatalia.

Eatalia's do nice pizzas but I always found there chips were never fresh and generally pretty crap, also the wee woman who runs the place was really aggresive towards one of the counter staff last time I was in! I was actually taken aback by it.

Pierinos on Bernard St is got to be the best chippy in Edinburgh

the sub goalie

Got a fish supper out of Salvatores next to the sick kids the other week and was pretty good, the mrs's pizza was really nice aswell.

kawasakijambo

Good to see both Loanhead chippys on that list.The town is split in two with patrons of each saying the one they go to is best. It's Dino's for me,been frequenting there since I was a young lad.

Do they still do half chicken suppers?

Used to love them with two pickles.

Cannae believe the Tailend never made it

Im not. As I usually say on these threads, I (and most of my chums, one who's a chippy expert) find it vastly overrated.

I find it difficult to say whether or not a fish and chip shop is great.

Considering you could be having a portion of fish and chips both completely fresh; one fresh, one sitting under a hot plate for hours or both fish and chips not fresh, I find it difficult to get any consistency. One day great, next average, next not good.

(Not that I would go to a chippy 3 days on the trot)

tartofmidlothian

Cannae believe the Tailend never made it

I can. These Evening News polls get filled up with the places which are desperate to win and campaign for their regulars to vote. The really good places don't need to be so desperate.

tartofmidlothian

Down to the last 10 in the Evening News competiton.

My two 'locals' are still there (Giovannis and Barracuda)

01. Bar-B-Que, Glasgow Road

02. Eatalia?s, Brunswick Place

03. Dino?s, Loanhead

04. Barracuda, Northfield Drive

05. St Andrews Takeaway, Portobello High Street

06. Marchmont Takeaway, Marchmont Road

07. Mario?s, Loanhead

08. Giovanni?s, Northfield Broadway

09. Mr Crolla, Tranent High Street

10. Coral Reef, Musselburgh

See my post above. The chippies mentioned many times on this thread which aren't on that list are the real best in Edinburgh.

I;m not big on chips but the kebabs from the Gold Sea of Ferry Road are awesome. The Groathill too,

Is an OUTRAGE that Salvatore's on Warrender Park Road, along from Sick Kids', isn't on the shortlist

Good to see it mentioned above, tho

BBQ is my local and used to be my chippie of choice, in the last couple of years it's gone to shit though, living on its reputation clearly

• 3 weeks later...

Got a fish supper out of Salvatores next to the sick kids the other week and was pretty good, the mrs's pizza was really nice aswell.

Salvatores is decent but was always rather expensive.

According to the radio Javits does the best kebab in Scotland.

Anyone had one?

I like their kebabs. I usually get a mixed kebab from them.

Their chicken wraps are awesome though, I get them to put some cheese through it, feckin lovely.

Might actually order one now :lol:

Took the kids to the Globetrotter in Bruntsfield after the movies tonight. Not bad. Nice fish, chips were ok.

First one I've bought in years. 2 fish suppers and a sausage supper. Nearly ?18 !!

It's not cheap.

Don't know if that's about the going rate these days but I was a bit surprised.

Eatalia on Leith Walk. 

Does a mean pizza as well. And quick delivery for those lazy hungover days.

Called it.

The Chip Inn, Oxgangs.

Great Chippy back in the 1970's when I visited my Nan, and was again last night when I visited my niece. They have a menu for those who are gluten intolerant.

Magic Numbers

Not seen St Johns Restaurant in Corstorphine mentioned.  Not surprising really, it looks the part from the outside looking in but the food we bought there recently was nowhere near up to scratch.  

Tried their "Home Made" Fish cakes.  Virtually no flavour, just exceptionally bland.  Fairly small portions too, and the chips were unremarkable at best.  King Rib was burnt too.  Poor.

Didn't know the area & their place looked the best.

Archived